PDA

View Full Version : I hate you WEP/HEX!- Can be closed I guess. I figured it out

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 12:39 PM
I hate WEP codes.

I just want a text word as my password, using WEP, so my DSi can go online.
I cant change the password or take it off, because my ma is stuck on keeping a secured line.

She said I could change the security type as long as it keeps the same password. :o

Living with your parents at 21 years old...fail. :(

I just want to go online playing DS games.

Anyone know how if it's possible to have a password the DSi is compatible with, that can use TEXT password, not hex?

(Btw, this is in rants because I'm more bitching about the DS/i security compatibility problems than asking for help.)

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
Use WPA. WEP is about as good a leaving your wireless unsecured anyway.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Use WPA. WEP is about as good a leaving your wireless unsecured anyway.

Yea, that's what I use, but....the DS/i is only compatible with the WEP.

So when I play online, I have to take the password off.

Another thing I hate, even though the Nintendo site and EVERYTHING else say it's only compatible with WEP, I can use the internet browser. :o

Outrider
Feb 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
Weird. I thought I head heard that the DSi supported WPA as well.

I have a similar situation at home. I'd rather leave my security as it is instead of making a change just to connect with my DS. I've even considered picking up one of the Nintendo Wi-Fi adapters, but you can't buy them new anymore. (What is it with Nintendo and discontinuing hardware these days?)

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 12:58 PM
I've heard that the DS itself will work with WEP or WPA, but older games will only work with WEP. It frustrates me how anti-progressive Nintendo is sometimes. That transport should be managed by the device, not the game.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Weird. I thought I head heard that the DSi supported WPA as well.

I have a similar situation at home. I'd rather leave my security as it is instead of making a change just to connect with my DS. I've even considered picking up one of the Nintendo Wi-Fi adapters, but you can't buy them new anymore. (What is it with Nintendo and discontinuing hardware these days?)

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

I think they discontinued that due to hacking. :o
I was reading a bunch of things to try and figure out what's easier to connect.
I actually have one, I bought it a while back for the Wii before we got wireless :o internet.
It's USB, and I'm assuming it's the same thing.

Thanks, I'll try to dig the Nintendo wi-fi thing up, but if I cant find that, I'll just keep taking my password off to play online.

I've heard that the DS itself will work with WEP or WPA, but older games will only work with WEP. It frustrates me how anti-progressive Nintendo is sometimes. That transport should be managed by the device, not the game.

Well, I try to connect with Phantasy Star Zero, it came out after the DSi came out, so I would think it would work, but nope.
I was just reading something saying that newer games would work, BUT they only mentioned DSi ware titles.
:(

EDIT: And holy shit, I love my moms organization!
I found the Nintendo thing, with the disc and all!
A little beat up for some reason, but it's all there!
:(

EDIT 2: God dammit, there better be some third party 64-bit drivers for this thing, or I'll be infuriated.

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
God dammit, there better be some third party 64-bit drivers for this thing, or I'll be infuriated.

Good luck with that...

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
Good luck with that...

Actually, took me a few minutes, but I found some on Google. Apparently Nintendo made them!

When I put the disc in, it immediately told me I had an incompatible version of Windows.
I'm attempting to install now. I'll edit in results!

EDIT: Okay... yea there are no compatible drivers for 64-bit Vista. They are there for XP though. :(

I guess I'll just do a small partition of my hard drive, and install 32-bit Windows.
If that doesn't work, I'll be very pissed, because it will take some time to install.

EDIT: after about an hour installation of 32-bit Windows-

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk115/Volcompat321/5dc1c1f4.png

Zeek123
Feb 27, 2010, 06:22 PM
I really don't know why Nintendo's been so ishy about embracing online. You'd think they would be the ones "innovating" it.

There's really no excuse that the DSi's wireless compatibility be so limited. By the time it came out, the DS library was vast, and filled with excellent games.

A way to go online through the Wii would be a huge help. Similar to the PS3's adhoc party.

Volcompat321
Feb 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
I really don't know why Nintendo's been so ishy about embracing online. You'd think they would be the ones "innovating" it.

There's really no excuse that the DSi's wireless compatibility be so limited. By the time it came out, the DS library was vast, and filled with excellent games.

A way to go online through the Wii would be a huge help. Similar to the PS3's adhoc party.

Yea, that would be pretty awesome, cause that would have been easier and faster then partitioning my HDD, installing 32-bit Windows, installing the device, wait for it to connect, get disconnected :o, get one, get kicked off, get on, and able to stay on for however long you want.
Such a hassle, would be easier just to take my password off while I play online, but oh well, it's already partitioned.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 28, 2010, 06:40 AM
When PSZ came out, I thought about making a guide on that WiFi connect USB thingy and the website that is a little bit under wraps even on Nintendo's official site, so pointing out a direct link would be cool info players would want to know in case of setup problems with versions of OS variations. Stopped supporting after a few updates to firmware for new windows, didn't remember if it included Windows 7.

But hey now that it works for you so you can make a new topic:

"I HATE YOU WEAP HAX!"

Wouldn't be an online Phantasy Star without those WEAP HAX but at least there's no GODEQUIP | MECHGUNGLITCH | RUNFASTER?!! memes, never ending questions going around yet for these handheld wi-fi ones.

Volcompat321
Feb 28, 2010, 07:12 AM
A guide for this Wi-Fi thing would have been good.
The very first one I read said "Yea, this works fine with 64-bit Windows Vista and 7!".
I say bullshit to that person.

I only learned you needed 32-bit because I went to the 5th or 6th page of Google searches to find drivers.

I want to run faster!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 28, 2010, 07:33 AM
Only had to configure with regular XP though, so I probably would not have been much help in the upgrades and compatibility dept.

Well then you want classic PSOW thread history:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2416

RUN FASTER1111!!!!!!!!111 (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=75184&forum=14&0) - 42576 views (pics still work!)