PDA

View Full Version : L & R buttons?

jayster
Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
I bought a used DS Lite online recently for fairly cheap (70$). I only want it for a couple games so I figured I would take my chances and buy an used one off ebay. Well I got it and the L & R buttons don't seem to be working. Since i'll only be playing pokemon and PSZero, I don't really feel like taking the time to return it if the R & L buttons don't really do anything. So, will this problem hinder my gameplay on this game?

On another note, can you type custom messages in this game?

Cruciarius
Mar 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
L + start = quick access to your items
R + start = quick access to your equip list

Gunblades shoot with L + A

You switch between item info with L and R.

So yeah... having L and R is very handy for PSZ.

As for typing, it has no keyboard. You pretty much write, with the stylus. However, this is only an option when playing with people on your friend list.

johnwolf
Mar 10, 2010, 10:20 PM
also DS lite R and L buttons suck

Kirukia
Mar 10, 2010, 10:20 PM
You also can't even use your second pallete without R lol, or rotate the camera without L.

L is forward face, and X and L and R are rotate.

jayster
Mar 10, 2010, 10:32 PM
Well this is a bummer, I really wanted my DSL for pokemon soul silver release. Looks like i'll be playing it a week or so later than everyone else.

johnwolf
Mar 10, 2010, 10:34 PM
get eather a DS phat (the first model ds) or wait for a DS XL (or buy it if it's out i'm so not in the loop)

Cruciarius
Mar 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
also DS lite R and L buttons suck

My older brother and I have each had our DS lites for more than 2 years, without any problems. Why do you say the R and L buttons suck on the lite?

psofan219
Mar 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
DSi XL's currently not out, but you can bet I'll be getting it when it does :D 95% larger screens and a wider viewing area, plus all those nice new additions, yes please!

johnwolf
Mar 10, 2010, 11:41 PM
My older brother and I have each had our DS lites for more than 2 years, without any problems. Why do you say the R and L buttons suck on the lite?

both DS Lites i had under a week and the L and R buttons stoped working correctly. they where BRAND NEW. plus after my new DS Lite i got for bringing the old one in hinge broke in under a MONTH and i was carful with it. i just fliped it open and CRACK. realy they suck and from the looks of it so do DSi's because they have the same hindge and L and R buttons. I'm getting a new Phat ds or the new DSi XL due to the fact the hindges are thicker.

DrTrustme
Mar 11, 2010, 01:27 AM
I have had my DS Lite ever since it came out and it works fine...

Cruciarius
Mar 11, 2010, 01:43 AM
The L and R button issues tend to only happen if the user is either rough with the system or carries it around in their pockets a lot. Using a case and treating the system well, you shouldn't have any problems. Heck, I even use my old GBA case, which has a little extra room that the DS lite can move around in. I've never had a problem.

As for the hinge issue, I've only heard of very few people having it crack. Most cases, the crack doesn't effect game play at all.

zeital
Mar 11, 2010, 02:05 AM
i'm waiting for the DSi XL to come out here (like on the 15th nect mth) my L button don't work as well sometimes but thats after i've been playing on it for a long time

Nick O'Demus
Mar 11, 2010, 03:12 AM
My DS lite mostly works fine, except the A & Y buttons are quite as responsive as they used to be. No problems with L or R though.

Getting a DSi XL when it comes out too. Loving that larger screen. I'll pick up another copy of PS Zero then too so I can make a new set of PS4-themed characters, loan them my gear from the current set, and see how quickly I can cut through Story, Normal, and Hard with basically unlimited Meseta and top equipment available as soon as they hit the level for it. :D

Drunken Dragon
Mar 11, 2010, 03:13 AM
DSi XL's currently not out, but you can bet I'll be getting it when it does :D 95% larger screens and a wider viewing area, plus all those nice new additions, yes please!

It is if you live in Europe :P
And it is really nice, i love mine.....

And regarding the shoulder buttons on the DS lite I think they feel "loose" in a way.... Like they could fall off at any minute..... Even the fat DS had "hard" shoulder buttons, which actually made me prefer it over the ds lite... Thankfully XL also have hard shoulder buttons, so its all good there...

And to stay a little on topic, as already stated you cripple yourself quite alot if you cant use em... I constantly use L to switch the camera(and target) in addition to quick menu switching(L/R + start) also dont know what i would have done without the secondary action pallette....

HeartBreak301
Mar 11, 2010, 03:20 AM
I'm still rocking an original blue DS, works great.

warrior5061
Mar 11, 2010, 06:57 AM
Ah... this is why I like my original silver DS it's only broken on me once and all I had to do was blow in the L button.

jayster
Mar 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
This thread can be closed, I traded the DS Lite in at gamestop and upgraded to a DSi. Luckily, they didn't check the R & L buttons so I got the full 70$ trade in value. I almost feel bad, only if they don't cheat you on used game trade in values. I paid 65$ for bioshock 2, traded it in a week later for 20$. Same thing happened with Dantes Inferno and most other games I play.

Cruciarius
Mar 11, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not bothering bringing used games to GS anymore. I'd rather wait around on sites, like craigslist, to see about trading them for other games.