PDA

View Full Version : Chains and what they actually do

Dnd
Mar 12, 2010, 04:37 AM
Now, firstly i'd like to say sorry for my long down-time on these boards and those awaiting trades and the like.

On the the main topic:

I remembered, awhile ago that i was told chains did nothing useful, apart from give 3 titles (10,25 and 50 iirc) which i thought fair enough.

Whilest playing i'd use PA's (well duh) but sometimes get 'freak' crits (upwards of 400% normal PA/Charged tech damage) without anyway to explain it... now i thought this was odd so i started to wonder why...

Turns out, when you use a PA (and charged tech) if the mob has a chain counter, it increases its effect/crit chance... Numbers proof!

(weapon used, is a lv4celeb foiehaze with 40% dark. element boost with PA of reverse cross)

Normal light (important) hit on a phobos offline: 120-133
Normal PA hit on a phobos offline: 106-119. 0% crits without chain

With those figures in mind, look at the damage with chains added:

2Chain PA on a phobos offline: 132-140/182-190 7/20 uses crit
4Chain PA on a phobos offline: 230-234 13/13 uses crit
6Chain PA on a phobos offline: 286-298 6/6 uses crit

Now, that seems to show a rough boost of 50% damage for every 2 inrease on the chain meter (If it helps, i remember hitting ~740 on falz with a 23 chain, and shifta/zalure 15 with those daggers, without the element boost and at lv85)

This also works for techs, as i'll point out now (rough figures, from memory sorry)

My brothers normal gibarta, hits the dragons head for roughly 80-100, when he built up a chain of 12/13 he used it and it crit for 400-450 every hit.

These figures will seem random, because i've spent 2 hours+ running to the future first room to get a spawn of phobos and it turns out that npcs make bad choises while chaining.

If you all want more proof of just how much it increases per chain point
i'd convince my brother to come along and help me for easier chaining.

I hope this helps or informs people that chaining is good, even without titles!

(Please note: i didnt see any topic about chains and this sort of info, if theres been one then i'm sorry bout the spam ;/)

Parasite159
Mar 12, 2010, 05:37 AM
i assume you mean Chain, not combo

Dnd
Mar 12, 2010, 06:05 AM
Well yeah, they're the same, sorta... editing main post now D:

FOmarRashidi
Mar 12, 2010, 06:10 AM
I recall ARChan making the same discover with chains a while ago. One thing I should add is when forces single tech, it doesn't break chains.

Parasite159
Mar 12, 2010, 06:18 AM
from the manual:
Chain combos
combine combo attacks with those of other party members to form chain combos the give greater damamge, When one member has performed a triple combo attack, another member then has a given time frame to perfom a second triple attack combo(2 chain). On successful execution, the number of chains will be displayed above the enemy.

Chain combos and photon arts for major damage
after several chain combos have been unleashed, attack using a PA or photon charge within the given time frame to award major damage, this also increases the photon blast gauge. use of photon arts or photon charge will end the chain.

so guys, if you see your team mates taking on a big enemy with alot of HP and they've built up a nice chain, dont spoil it by rushing in with a PA so soon.
now... if only there was a way to stop the NPC's from doing the same thing

Dnd
Mar 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
(but who reads the Manual anyway?)

Well, that maybe so... time to do research in just how much they boost it by

(9 chain bite stomp on octo did 1,714 every crit, instead of 380-410/hit)

If anyone else has numbers ect (normal PA/tech, and the PA/tech at what chain number) to see that the gain is, if it caps or is subject to demishing returns please post :p

The_Pup
Mar 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
Based on my experience, 1 chain is roughly +10% damage increase to PAs...

1 chain = 1.1x damage
2 chain = 1.2x
3 chain = 1.3x
9 chain = 1.9x
10 chain = 2.0x
11 chain = 2.1x
et cetera

So, 380-410 bite stamp would do 722-779 in a 9 chain, and with critical (2x damage) it would do 1444-1558 (so you may have a higher max damage for Bite Stamp unchained than 410).

Dnd
Mar 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
the 1.7k was with zalure/shifta (but so was the 390-410s) :-?

Would zalure increase it more-so then it already does? :/

The_Pup
Mar 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
No.

PS0 Jellen/Zalure only affects enemy ATA/EVP, whereas Shifta/Deband affect friendly POW/MST//DEF.

Extra damage from Zalure comes from less misses (or more hits) due to less enemy EVA.

Dnd
Mar 12, 2010, 06:30 PM
PS0 Jellen/Zalure only affects enemy ATA/EVP, whereas Shifta/Deband affect friendly POW/MST//DEF.

That was unexpected!... i always seem to hit harder with zalure up O.o ah well

The_Pup
Mar 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
Ah, minor correction... Zalure does influence damage... Just not as much as Shifta. I mostly see it as an EVA debuff.

leviayurashyguy
Mar 13, 2010, 04:03 AM
i liek this. the more we unturn game mechanics, the more excited i get ^-^

this would be effective against bosses if parties didn't just Flozir+OE >.>

Macman
Mar 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
No.

PS0 Jellen/Zalure only affects enemy ATA/EVPThat can't be right, I use Jellen 15 religiously and not only do the enemies miss more, but when they do hit, their blows are pretty much cut in half. I call BS on that.

leviayurashyguy
Mar 13, 2010, 02:37 PM
That can't be right, I use Jellen 15 religiously and not only do the enemies miss more, but when they do hit, their blows are pretty much cut in half. I call BS on that.

Ah, minor correction... Zalure does influence damage... Just not as much as Shifta. I mostly see it as an EVA debuff.

please read consequential posts

johnwolf
Mar 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Zalure is Eva/Defencive Debuff. Jellen Is a Power Debuff and there for effects ATA

Joustin
Apr 18, 2010, 08:30 AM
No.

Extra damage from Zalure comes from less misses (or more hits) due to less enemy EVA.

errrrrrrrr! Wrong, try again. Jellen reduces enemy ATP/MST/ATA and Zalure reduces enemy DFP/EVP/Resistance . Matter of fact (look at the JP PS0 wiki for more info), a lv 15 Jellen/Zalure on a mob reduces ATP/MST/ATA/DFP/EVP/RES by 20%...

This is the cookie that Human rangers got over the Human/Newman hunters.

Don't believe what I said is correct? Try it yourself. The truth will be conspicuously evident.