PDA

View Full Version : whoa psz.. and psp

rolyat
Mar 16, 2010, 02:08 AM
i used to play PSO for DC and GC and never picked up PSU or anything but i just found out about PSzero!

i had no idea this even existed nor did i know how close its gameplay was to PSO!

i'm going to go out tomorrow and pick this up!!!

anyway i used to come to this forum soooooo long ago so i figured i would come back to see what was up.

and now i just found out about PSPortable..

i don't know what to do now!

thethethedead
Mar 16, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hey there rolyat, I too used to play PSO and never got to play PSU either.
I also just picked up PSZ this past week and it is indeed great.
I mean it's pretty amazing especially for a DS game as well, there are definite differences from PSO but they're for the better and improve the overall gameplay.
There are attacks/spells I noticed were taken from PSU too.

Mumblypeg
Mar 16, 2010, 08:08 PM
I agree

rolyat
Mar 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
i just got it today and started playing it and i love how similar it is!!! i'm about to go out for a bit but i'll be back later with some more to say haha

johnwolf
Mar 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
PSZ is a PSO remake that is REALY good. PSP is a PSU remake that is basicly PSU. PSP 2 is suppost to be better and a LOT of people (who got it imported) say it is. it's a combined effort of PSP people and PSZ people. it looks like PSZ team told PSP people to just do what they told them to do and it came out awesome.

Dragwind
Mar 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
PSZ is a PSO remake that is REALY good. PSP is a PSU remake that is basicly PSU. PSP 2 is suppost to be better and a LOT of people (who got it imported) say it is. it's a combined effort of PSP people and PSZ people. it looks like PSZ team told PSP people to just do what they told them to do and it came out awesome.

PSZ is an entirely different game and not a remake of PSO. PSP2 is based off of the PSU engine with many changes, some of them based off of PSZ.

johnwolf
Mar 19, 2010, 02:24 AM
dude, how isn't this a remake of PSO. the controls are basically the same. it feels the same. hell doesn't the name Booma Origin mean anything to you. it's a remake, pure and simple. in fact SEGA was suppost to add a download function so you can get added areas that where in PSO. PSP2 s is a remake. and yes it use the same graphics Engine and control setup but it just could have been another horrible PSU game. it's not, why, because it's been made WITH the PSZ team. that's right PSZ team made their game right so they rock.

Mike
Mar 19, 2010, 02:52 AM
dude, how isn't this a remake of PSO. the controls are basically the same. it feels the same. hell doesn't the name Booma Origin mean anything to you. it's a remake, pure and simple. in fact SEGA was suppost to add a download function so you can get added areas that where in PSO. PSP2 s is a remake. and yes it use the same graphics Engine and control setup but it just could have been another horrible PSU game. it's not, why, because it's been made WITH the PSZ team. that's right PSZ team made their game right so they rock.

Well, it's not a remake because:

We're not on Ragol
Those Booma Origins aren't Boomas, but a creature called Booma Origin. They look like Boomas a bit but closer to pigs
The story is completely different
The story is vaugely connected to PSO

I believe you have the words "remake" and "sequel" mixed up. Very different words.

Phantasy Star Zero is a loosely related sequel to PSO done in nearly the same style. Zero takes elements of PSO, Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Portable, and a few features found in other action games and roles them all up in to one. A remake this is not.

As for a few other things in your post, there was never and will never be a download feature for Zero. Never. Ever. Nor was one planned. Any screenshots you have seen in of PSO areas in Zero are copies of a pre-development version of the game. Nor is PSP2 a remake. It is a sequel (see above) with a modified PSU-based combat system. And as much as you might protest, PSP2 did/is doing well not because the Zero staff worked on it, but because it has online play. This is something the PSP system as a whole is in dire need of and PSP2 does it right. Download quests, items, and even Sega run online events. All good stuff. Not to belittle the work the staff of any of the Phantasy Star games, that is. The Zero staff probably included a fair number of the PSP1 staff anyways.

kirtblue
Mar 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
psz is vaguely connected to pso as a prequel

onionchan
Mar 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hence its called Phantasy Star 0. Like before Ep 1 & 2

Booma origins would be the Pre-evolution versions of their upright brethren from PSO

Saber993
Mar 22, 2010, 02:25 AM
OP is in the same position I was in about a month ago. Long time PSO fan, used to frequent these boards... didn't know about this game.

I found out and told my friends and at least 8 more copies of the game sold within the next week. ;) They really should advertise these games more.

rolyat
Mar 23, 2010, 04:03 PM
well after i've put a few hours in i'll have to say it was worth it. the game isn't exactly PSO but there are definitely enough resemblances to tie me over. so far i have just a lv19 RAcaseal. i mainly have just been doing the quests and just now started raising a mag since i found the mag guide lol. it kindof sucks being out of the loop for so long because i don't really know much beyond where i've been so far, as opposed to PSO where i felt i knew everything lmao.

anyway if someone wanted to freeplay sometime just let me know. you'll have to bare with me though because i haven't gotten into the habit of checking this forum daily.

landman
Mar 23, 2010, 08:13 PM
psz is vaguely connected to pso as a prequel

Hence its called Phantasy Star 0. Like before Ep 1 & 2

Booma origins would be the Pre-evolution versions of their upright brethren from PSO
Phantasy Star Zero is a sequel to PSO, not a prequel.

kirtblue
Mar 23, 2010, 11:25 PM
Phantasy Star Zero is a sequel to PSO, not a prequel.

umm sorry dude you might wanna check your timeline again it is indeed a prequel

landman
Mar 24, 2010, 03:05 AM
umm sorry dude you might wanna check your timeline again it is indeed a prequel

My timeline says Zero is a sequel, and that timeline is based on the game's plot and script, you should check yours maybe :wacko:

jmanx
Mar 24, 2010, 02:10 PM
Its both.

Mike
Mar 25, 2010, 08:17 AM
My timeline says Zero is a sequel, and that timeline is based on the game's plot and script, you should check yours maybe :wacko:

Agree. I don't have the English version so I can't verify how it was translated but it definetly a sequel in the Japanese version.

kirtblue
Mar 26, 2010, 02:37 AM
OK.

The storylines are obviously connected. What's really being debated is when the gameplay in each game happens. PSZ's story starts before PSO but your character does not come in till after the events of PSO. And I believe the creators put a great deal of thought into the stories. PSO haves a lot of little things hidden through out it. So to summarize:
Failing enviroment>Mother created>Pioneer 1 leaves>mother gets infected>pioneer 2 leaves> mother causes the great blank> pioneer 2 fights off Dark Falz>200 some years later your char in PSZ come on the scene... make sense? It's not that hard when you lay out your facts.

ok i did check and im gunna have to agree with jmanx its both see above quote but for the purpose of settling this ill agree with you gents because you play after pso events
mike knows his phantasy star as much as i hate him he has never lied to me and i dont belive he would now
its just hard to remember this stuff when you cant play the story again and i had all my characters though story before the end of the first week after release

Mike
Mar 27, 2010, 02:13 AM
OK.

The storylines are obviously connected. What's really being debated is when the gameplay in each game happens. PSZ's story starts before PSO but your character does not come in till after the events of PSO. And I believe the creators put a great deal of thought into the stories. PSO haves a lot of little things hidden through out it. So to summarize:
Failing enviroment>Mother created>Pioneer 1 leaves>mother gets infected>pioneer 2 leaves> mother causes the great blank> pioneer 2 fights off Dark Falz>200 some years later your char in PSZ come on the scene... make sense? It's not that hard when you lay out your facts.

I have to disagree with some of the order in Vayne's timeline mainly because, from what I've heard, Pioneer 2 was still in contact with Coral during PSO episode 3. This means that Coral was still around for the events of episodes one through four. So Mother Trinity couldn't have caused the Great Blank before Falz is dealt with on Ragol. I'm getting off topic though and will stop here.