PDA

View Full Version : A (not so?) Simple way to have prevented cheating....

Phelan
Mar 2, 2003, 06:56 PM
Ok, maybe I am crazy and I am no lawyer, but if Sega had put a clause in the ToS(Terms of Service) that states that they strictly prohibit cheating of any kind in PSO and that by cheating or doing anything to change the parameters of the game to benefit themselves or harm the gameplay of others will have their accounts banned and their money will not be refunded.
Then all PSO would need is somekind of interface to report suspected cheaters to a group of admins who would then investigate the suspect. I mean come on we are gonna pay 9 bucks a month, you would think that it would be feasible to have some kind of anti-cheat support staff to work on keeping PSO cheat/hack free. Ugh, sorry about the rant, but if PSOX is as easy to hack as many people think it will be, there is no way I am gonna invest the time/money to play the game.

Duoteth
Mar 2, 2003, 10:01 PM
Umm... Doesn't it? (http://www.sega.com/community/profiles/pso_gcn/pc_front/gcn_pc_terms.jhtml#conduct)

Alas, I think that having some sort of built-in reporting method would just be overly abused. There's too many spiteful and manipulative people willing to bend the truth whenever they want to strike out against those who displease them.

That said though, you can report serious problems to [email protected]. If you do that, make sure you give very detailed information about the incident.

I dunno... It doesn't really seem like a problem to me now. Unlike the DC version where you had to live with the possibility of someone permenantly destroying your character "for the fun of it", the cheaters on the GC version are utterly benign and annoying at best if you bother to hang out near them.

Phelan
Mar 2, 2003, 10:16 PM
The whole reason for the support staff is because a lot of people would abuse the system, but that is why each claim would be investigated before any action would take place. Also they could start doing a "boy who cried wolf" type of thing and just ignorning the typical complainers ect. I dunno, I just think for the amount of money the game iwll be bringing in a month they should be able to afford a decent support staff for the game.

Jack
Mar 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
On 2003-03-02 19:16, Phelan wrote:
Also they could start doing a "boy who cried wolf" type of thing and just ignorning the typical complainers ect.

Does this happen with Xbox Live!, and do they actually check the server logs of the game concerned?

Phelan
Mar 3, 2003, 03:55 PM
the only thing that is similar to the ideas I posted that xbox live actually uses is a feedback system where a user can post feedback on other users, however as far as I know, this feedback is realatively meaningless.

BonusKun
Mar 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
On 2003-03-03 12:55, Phelan wrote:
the only thing that is similar to the ideas I posted that xbox live actually uses is a feedback system where a user can post feedback on other users, however as far as I know, this feedback is realatively meaningless.

Kinda like the ToS is. It's such a shame that when you post a Contract as some people called it that you would think it would be enforced.

Seriously tho the only obvious point of that thing you're agreeing to is saying that if you get screwed, it's not Sega's fault.

They are covering their own asses with that and nothing else.

Blood_Dragoon
Mar 4, 2003, 11:17 PM
Right they should just rename that "End User Agreement" to "Liability Release Form".

DB
Mar 5, 2003, 05:31 AM
Sega does try somewhat. But think about it, just look at the mods here. They have to bust ass, and check all these posts. And there are alot of posts. How many posts do you think they have to go through, and check? Quite a few. It's not that they don't try, it's just so difficult to keep track of so many users. How many people do you think play PSO? How difficult do you think it would be, to single out a single persona? Pretty hard. Especially in a game, where you can use your offline character online. They could have fixed things pretty quick, and ruined alot of gameplay for us, if they took Blizzards approach.

Example: Diablo 2. You can only use your online character, online. And you can only use your offline character offline. And, if you play online, just to let you know. The people at Battle.Net, basically own your character, and can do whatever they want. That's not so with Sega. You own your character. As for the money we all spend, it does go for things. Programmers, desgining new quests, those special holiday enemies, new weapons. Ect.

Your money isn't going to waste, it's just not being used for a specific point. Yeah, we all wish cheating, and lamers, and dupers, and ect would all just go away. But they will stay. And they will always have an excuse for staying. So, we must persist, and show them, we are willing to outlive them. They are parasites, therefore, we have the ability to choose. Give in to them, and let them consume what we once enjoyed. Or simply outlive them. And keep enjoying what we love about the game.