PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* No GameCube for a few weeks....

polishedweasel
Mar 2, 2003, 09:06 PM
I finally got sick and tired of my GCN being the annoying little box of "The Nintendo Gamecube Cannot read the disk! Please consult the game bookltet for more information!" I called Nintendo and told them what it was doing, and they said that no Gamecube should be doing that. Then they gave me all this information about what they're gonna do and when they're gonna do it. Then, they connected me to FED-EX, so some guy is gonna pick up my Cube tomorrow.

So they are gonna fix it for me. FOR FREE!!! YAY!!!!

The only problem I have with that is the fact that I won't be able to play while it's gone. BOO!!!!!

I don't know of anyone else's Cube doing this, but if yours does, Nintendo will more than likely fix it for free! BTW they also extended my warranty for this situation!! My Gamecube was from the launch in America about a year and a half ago!! I thought that was pretty cool of them!

Robomonke
Mar 2, 2003, 09:32 PM
thank god! my cube is also doing this. could you please list the number you called and the basics as to what you did. my cubes been acting up for a while and i was about ready to buy a new one.

THX ALOT!!!

polishedweasel
Mar 2, 2003, 09:38 PM
This is the number!! 1-800-255-3700 just follow all the instructions, it's pretty easy.

Robomonke
Mar 4, 2003, 06:48 PM
i did but no extend on the lease.... so it will cost me about $85 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ill prolly buy a new 1 and get the free game...

Buuyon
Mar 4, 2003, 08:25 PM
You know whats cheaper...getting it fixed then buying any game you want!!!

Cloud_01
Mar 4, 2003, 09:21 PM
The same thing happened to me but with my PS2.

They also offered to fix it for free and extended my warranty. It came back good as new in two weeks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloud_01 on 2003-03-04 18:23 ]</font>

LamerPanda
Mar 4, 2003, 09:29 PM
Sega did the same thing with my Dreamcast.

I can tell you that Nintendo won't fix older games, though. They won't touch Super Metroid since the warranty probably expired years ago... XD

All it needs is a battery changed, too. I'd do it myself if I had the tools.

GandorDurin
Mar 4, 2003, 09:43 PM
My dad does all the fixes for me, and usually the problem is from some piece of food being crammed up where it shouldn't be, or something equally easy to fix. I've learned a lot from him, very interesting to see the insides of all my game systems. (So far I've own every system from Intellivision II to Gamecube. No X-Box though, bwahaha. I just can't respect Microsoft.)

Although the PS2 I bought for my friends has some weird screw up...

The only time it EVER messed up was with Dark Cloud 2. It freezes instead of loading the 3rd stage of the first dungeon. It's definately not the game, he returned his copy and exchanged it for another. Same problem in the same exact spot. Luckily it works fine on my PS2, so he's borrowing it for now. It never has any problem with any other game...Doesn't make any sense! My dad took it apart and fiddled with all sorts of stuff inside. The only 'problem' he could find was something was snapped into place. Didn't fix it though.

I should take one apart, I need some cheap laser eye surgeory. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

wizkid357
Mar 8, 2003, 09:54 AM
uh too bad for you but serves you right RoboMoke for giving FOmar a bad name

Forever Zero
Mar 8, 2003, 02:35 PM
This read disc error is what killed my GC. I always take good care of it just like all my other systems. One day I go to turn it on and I recieve a read disc error quite often http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I couldn't bother Nintendo to fix it since it has been modified to play imports. I wound up buying a refurbished GC for 99$ ad Gamestop. It's working just fine http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Btw, I went on the interent trying to find a way to fix this problem befor purchasing another GC. This problem is more common than you or Nintendo may think. I've ran across many forums with this problem and NO ONE has figured out how to fix it. They all went out and bought a new GC or sent it off to Nintendo. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

jonny-5
Mar 8, 2003, 09:59 PM
I just live with it since my warranty is void...for me it only happens once abput every 50 hours... but I can live with it

Larloc
Mar 9, 2003, 01:34 AM
what causes this cant read disc error? it never happened to me and some of my discs are really scratched up.

silvermax
Mar 9, 2003, 02:09 AM
I have a question for all of you who are getting these errors,

Do you leave your disks in the GC 24/7?

cause if you do, that might be part of your problem.

KillerCC1101
Mar 9, 2003, 04:55 AM
i had that happen to me earlier today...but all i did was look a my GC and my PSO disc, cleaned the lens the cd etc...etc.. and boom ^_^ good as new

Forever Zero
Mar 9, 2003, 04:08 PM
I know read disc error isn't caused by scratches. None of my discs are scratched up. I even put in my new Zelda: Master Quest game and it will get that error too.

Yes, I do leave PSO in 24/7, but I doubt that's a problem as I have done this with other systems as well and it never messed anything up. I've basically left PSO ver 1 and then ver 2 in my Dreamcast for at least 2 years and it still runs fine.

From what I read on message boards, some claim it is an overheating problem. They said that the read disc error comes up to make you turn the power off so the heat won't ruin any of the insides of the Gamecube. One person managed to temporarily fix his read disc error by putting a fan next to the GC while it was running and that helped for about a week.

If you wanna read up on these errors and people who experienced it, just type in "Gamecube read disc error" in google.com.

IMO, read disc errors are caused by faulty systems that over heat too fast. I'm thinking only certain modles do this. I've heard of Playstation 2 having this same problem, but well, it was much worse and more common.

Kemon
Mar 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
my friends broke so he sent it to them and they sent him a brand new one