PDA

View Full Version : Nujabes (1974-2010) Killed in car accident

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
Last night brought sad news for the underground hip hop community; it's been confirmed that Nujabes (née Jun Seba) died last month in a car accident in Tokyo. The Japanese hip hop DJ and producer was a mere 36 years old, and passed the same day the 7.3 earthquake hit the coast of Japan on February 26th. News of his death was not made public until yesterday when his label Hydeout Productions issued a statement online. Nujabes' family held a private burial in Japan.

Nujabes was known around the world for his jazz-infused, sophisticated take on hip hop beats, and a melancholy, nostalgic undertone to his music that has made for some of the most beautiful tracks to emerge from the underground. In addition to making music and founding a record label, he also owned influential record stores in Tokyo (Guiness Records, T Records) and worked on the soundtrack of Samurai Champloo, a famous anime about samurai and hip hop culture. ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/03/nujabes-underground-hip-hop-artist-dead-at-36/37755/

Almost a month later, reports are just surfacing in the car accident that claimed the life of respected Japanese beatsmith Nujabes The critically acclaimed producer was extremely private in his personal life, and the news of his death was only recently confirmed by his friend and collaborator, rapper Shing02.

Nujabes died on February 26, a week after his 36th birthday, while exiting the Metropolitan Expressway in the Minato Word section of Tokyo, Japan. He was buried by his family, in a private ceremony.

The beatmaker, whose moniker is the reverse of his birth name, Jun Seba, was known for crafting melodic, jazzy songscapes. He provided some of the best soundtrack work for popular anime series 'Samurai Champloo,' and though the bulk of his work was instrumental or featured Japanese artists like Shing02, Minmi and Uyama Hiroto, Njaubes also collaborated with American artists like CL Smooth, Five Deez and Cyne and singers Terry Callier and Dwele. ...

http://www.theboombox.com/2010/03/24/japanese-producer-nujabes-killed-in-car-accident/

A week late on this, but no less tragic. Hope he rests in peace. Before he had but 1-2 pictures of him on last.fm artist page, now there's quite a bit more of him having fun with friends, enjoying life.

His music has been a great gift and point of inspiration to the Hip-Hop community.

“We deeply regret the loss of a unique talent and a close friend. Through his soulful music, Nujabes has touched so many people around the world, even beyond his dreams. It continued to amaze me how young listeners of all backgrounds learned of his enigmatic name, and expressed support for his music,” says Shing02 in a statement.

http://www.last.fm/music/Nujabes

Freshellent
Mar 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well I had heard about this from someone else, a real shame to see that it's actually true.

Ahh man.

AC9breaker
Mar 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah I was pretty devastated when I heard this myself. I'm absolutely infatuated with his work and bought his Modal Soul album as soon as was humanly possible. I've always wanted to get the impression CD too but I hear it's pretty hard to get and as such has a pretty high price when available. I'm sure it would be worth every penny though.

Rest in peace.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
I spun his albums all day when I heard, we lost a good one young.

Shadowpawn
Mar 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
Figured you'll find out sooner or later Haya. That's real tragic the way he died.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
Figured you'll find out sooner or later Haya. That's real tragic the way he died.
Busy with school stuff last week but I was around here so much, just missed it by not checking out the music thread. Rewrote the title on this topic a couple times, figuring why am I spotlighting the tragedy of the car crash and not just the man and his work.

But it was a freak accident, not by more natural causes which should be said.

Tails_night
Mar 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
OH MY LORD. This news just ruined the party. There goes one of my favorite artist.

Pballer42
Mar 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
First losing Dilla, Now losing Nujabes... Im running out of people to listen to ive been listening to all the material from him I can find. I hope his family and friends are able to cope and he will SURELY be missed in the Hip Hop community. Sad to see him go so young.