PDA

View Full Version : Youtube's new layout.

Shadowpawn
Mar 31, 2010, 05:52 PM
Youtube has a new layout design, in case you haven't seen it go watch a video on youtube (I mean on the site, not embeded.) They got rid of the five star rating system and implemented a minimalism look to the video page. I personally think there was nothing wrong with the old look but whatever.

If you've seen the new design then what do you think of this whole thing?

joefro
Mar 31, 2010, 06:02 PM
I don't like it. The old YouTube was simple enough as it was. As far as ratings system goes, it doesn't bother me, I never pay attention to rating on there. I'm sure I'll get used to the design soon. I hated Facebook's new layout for like a week and now I love it.

Volcompat321
Mar 31, 2010, 06:25 PM
I want the old You Tube back!

It took me a couple days to get used to this one.
I hate the auto playback thing, because I always turn it off, but the fucking thing never saves to my settings.

I also don't care about ratings, though I do rate videos if I like them!

EDIT: The day this update went into effect, I noticed it didn't change until I logged out, then back in.

Even for my friend, it's the old look; he's never logged out since.

lavisblade
Mar 31, 2010, 06:55 PM
I don't like it because I can't watch videos anymore on my computer at home. It doesn't even look any different. It doesn't look any different at school either, but I can watch videos anyways...

The only place it DOES look different is on my sister's laptop (which I'm on usually) and it works fine. It looks different, but I don't mind. I'm okay with change. I go with the flow. Though I think the new rating thing is kinda odd...makes it too vague, but whatever.

Aka
Mar 31, 2010, 08:05 PM
It all looks so messy now. I hate the new look.

Mike
Mar 31, 2010, 08:11 PM
They've sure added a lot of buttons. This wouldn't be a problem if I knew they all worked right. There were buttons in the old layout that never properly worked for me.

lavisblade
Mar 31, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm currently trying to add a song to my favorites/playlist, but the button that says "Save to" just brings up a menu that says 'Loading' forever...rawr...

Aka
Mar 31, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm guessing that's because they're still performing maintenance on the site.
I've just had a look at thier community forums and there's a LOT of negative feedback regarding the new layout so we aren't the only people who don't like it.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 31, 2010, 08:36 PM
This just started happening to me, but I know a few others who have had this going on for a while now. It's worse than the last way youtube was designed. Too much blank space around.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 31, 2010, 09:05 PM
The site just reeks of generic.

Just thought I'd put that in there too. It's really strange, too. Don't like where all the buttons went, really funky.

astuarlen
Mar 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Well, they fixed the issue I was having with watching non-embedded videos (for a week or so I had to delete a particular cookie every time I tried to watch something), and I'm actually able to properly log in (this also could be a fix in the latest Opera, since I didn't try to log in to youtube since upgrading... 'cause it never worked before).

On the visuals front, there was certainly a lot going on before, and there still is. Unfortunately, I find without some of the boxes previously used to coral content, the hierarchy of information is further degraded. But honestly it doesn't look that different--and, anyway, I've always spent my time looking at the videos, not the surrounding stuff--so it's hard to make specific comparisons. I find the logo and player ugly enough they pretty much distract from any other aesthetic considerations.

Volcompat321
Mar 31, 2010, 09:31 PM
I found something I like on the new setup I like.

Though I don't know if it's a bug, or just something with the computer I'm using.
When I pick a video, if I have multiple up, it will not auto play the extra ones.
It wont load either, until I hit play, so that's why I think it might be a bug, not something purposely added.

Mike
Apr 1, 2010, 02:25 AM
Check out the new TEXTp video setting :p

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 1, 2010, 02:33 AM
"New" 'tube same error when going from a bookmarked video, to any link, related video, whatever, this time, that homepage icon new image link, NW corner.

[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/HAYABUSA-FMW-/error-utubery.png

Used to be easier to tell when the video/director was commenting down in that mess, as well the thumbs ups and thumbs down, next to the comments. Don't even see the spam vote/ignore options anymore now.
[/spoiler-box]

Now can't load Spike's PSYOU forum screenshot thingy.

-

Put some more money into your investment Google!

Neith
Apr 1, 2010, 07:36 AM

Haha, it's actually kind of cool. I watched a music video and could still make out the video easily. Very good feature.

[spoiler-box]And yes, I'm well aware it's an April Fools- go check out Googles 'Translate for Animals' :lol: [/spoiler-box]

Legendwolf
Apr 1, 2010, 07:42 AM
not cool

Volcompat321
Apr 1, 2010, 08:40 AM
Haha, it's actually kind of cool. I watched a music video and could still make out the video easily. Very good feature.

[spoiler-box]And yes, I'm well aware it's an April Fools- go check out Googles 'Translate for Animals' :lol: [/spoiler-box]

Be cautious of anyone that owns a pig farm.

Xefi
Apr 1, 2010, 09:59 AM
i like that they removed the rating system. i like the old youtube much better still.

Outrider
Apr 1, 2010, 01:50 PM

Yeah, TEXTp is awesome. They should keep that as an option even after April Fools Day.

Google
Apr 3, 2010, 12:11 PM
I don't mind it but I liked the old 5 star rating. When I created an account I was signed in to my main email (a Gmail account) and it registered the YouTube account with my Gmail and now I can't change it, lol. So annoying.

Majarra
Apr 3, 2010, 12:45 PM
This is not my idea of an April Fools joke!

McLaughlin
Apr 3, 2010, 03:33 PM
As someone said, the lack of borders on anything makes everything look more archaic and it becomes more difficult to locate and focus on the information you're looking for. I also dislike where they put the video description/poster's notes thing because if it's long (like if someone put song lyrics in there or a million tags) it totally eclipses the comments and stretches the page out. I also wish they would move the video quality options box thing somewhere other than right next to the volume control because it's way too easy to accidentally scroll over it and then you have wait for it to collapse before you can try changing the volume again.

Really not a fan, and for the record, I still hate Facebook's new layout.

Prince Noah
Apr 5, 2010, 06:33 PM
I HATE YouTube's new layout. It makes no sense. Everything is completely rearranged and hidden. Another meaningless update instead of dealing with real problems

joefro
Apr 6, 2010, 07:32 PM
Well after about a week of use, I love the new layout.

Shadowpawn
Apr 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
The only thing I dislike about it is the fact if you upload a video to youtube that video now has annotation editing on by default. You can't turn it off either.

BahnKnakyu
Apr 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
New system sucks. Almost every video I watch requires an xtra click because the description is now HIDDEN (which is bloody fucking annoying). Comment system is hard to navigate through - you can't tell when a bunch of comments were made, you have to highlight each comment to do so. You can't "negative dislike" a comment so it goes below a threshold.

The related videos are hard to find, the videos from user X section is in a really akward spot and is harder to navigate. It's not compatible with scroll wheels like the original related/more videos from user x section was.

The ONLY saving grace of this new format is the Thumbs up/thumbs down system for videos. And guess what? If you use a mobile Youtube application such as the one for Windows Mobile (which I have), IT STILL USES THE OLD STAR SYSTEM.

Keilyn
Apr 8, 2010, 01:12 AM
I personaly don't care what people think or don't think about youtube. No one has anything analytical to say here...Just the same old crap.

So much for the attempt at pseudo-intellectualism. Youtube is Youtube and all I care about is if a video is there, watching it once...and undoing the Hex-Edited Rootkit done by the Adobe/Macromedia Driver...so I can extract the other stuff they put in my hard drive...

Shadowpawn
Apr 8, 2010, 01:24 AM
The related videos are hard to find, the videos from user X section is in a really akward spot and is harder to navigate. It's not compatible with scroll wheels like the original related/more videos from user x section was.

That is pretty annoying, the new system actually makes it harder to find anything related to the video I'm watching by the video poster. I missed the option of searching the users videos that are related to the video and video related to the video via the masses in general. Now it's just thrown into one large list that can't even be scrolled.

joefro
Apr 8, 2010, 01:32 AM
The only thing I dislike about it is the fact if you upload a video to youtube that video now has annotation editing on by default. You can't turn it off either.
Yeah that is pretty annoying. I really hate that feature too. I think it is cool for some videos but some other videos just abuse it to death.

Sinue_v2
Apr 8, 2010, 02:28 AM
i like that they removed the rating system.

It hasn't been removed, but was replaced with the "Like/Don't Like" option. That in itself isn't so bad, since 1 star and 5 star seemed to be the only ratings people gave anyhow... but it's a cheapfuck move if they intended it to combat votebotting by any means.

Meanwhile, that and the two other major problems plaguing YTube (False Flagging/False DMCA) are, as I understand, still just easy to abuse with their "reprimand now/ask questions later" policy. I'm also upset at how much shittier the "similar videos" section seems to be at finding similar videos.

The comments section is borked as well. They went from cumbersome to damned neared impossible to use for much more than one-liners. Though I do like the "response to" link. Sadly, still no option to manage your responses so you can keep track of ongoing conversations. Plus, if it's not on the first page of "see all" responses, you're suck clicking through 347 pages with 3-6 responses per page to try to find your conveniently highlighted response.

Oh... and WMG/Starz Media LLC/etc have got to fucking go. I understand they need to protect their copyright, but when they start blocking clearly fair use material and dumb shit like Anime opening videos or AMVs for "unlicensed audio tracks" (At least, IN YOUR COUNTRY) - they have to realize that they're only going to increase the rate at which their media gets pirated even if just out of sheer spite.

Of course most of you are too dumb to realize that thanks to Flash, as cool as it can be...it gives a gateway to bypass any antivirus on the planet and infect your system.

But if you were "that" smart....someone would have mentioned it long ago.

This isn't exactly JREF or BadAstronomy, and it doesn't need to be. Shit's all relative to profession, circumstance, and personal interests anyhow - and if you think that someone not knowing the security vulnerabilities of using YouTube makes them stupid, then realize that knowing it doesn't make you any smarter.... just as stupid as everyone else, but in a different subject. After all, how much do you know about Genomics, and if not much, then why... because in the next few years, being literate in life & life code is every bit as vital as being computer literate. So how many "vulnerabilities" in regards to your own biochemistry are you exposing yourself to unknowingly? A computer you can at least nuke and start fresh... but a threat to your health can KILL.

Look, just because you have a chip on your shoulder, doesn't mean anybody is impressed about it or cares. There's no need to advertise so blatantly. We get it, really.

Besides, YouTube has a great deal of content which you can't find elsewhere (such as OpenCourseware classes) and for many people, the occasional problem it's not really worth the hassle of trying to avoid/circumvent YouTube. Like it fucking matters on a Windows machine anyhow. If they were that worried about it, they'd switch to Apple or a Linux derivative.

Mike
Apr 8, 2010, 05:05 AM
Yeah, TEXTp is awesome. They should keep that as an option even after April Fools Day.

Unfortunatly the only video I could ever get it to work with, while it was up, was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rjoJ9RWbDA

Delete
Apr 8, 2010, 06:18 AM
Youtube is Youtube to me, as long as I can look up videos and argue with people through comments, I couldn't give 1.2 shits about how it looks.