PDA

View Full Version : GEARS OF WAR 3 trailer + discussion

Ryno
Apr 16, 2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfmSf5I2uM

amtalx
Apr 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, I will be there. If we are getting this news now, I wonder what big announcements are going to be at E3 this year...

Outrider
Apr 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
Yes, I will be there. If we are getting this news now, I wonder what big announcements are going to be at E3 this year...

Gears of War: Kart Racer

amtalx
Apr 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
Gears of War: Kart Racer

Is it wrong that I would be more interested in this than another Mario Kart?

joefro
Apr 16, 2010, 11:44 AM
Epic makes some of the best trailers around. I love the music they chose for this. I can't wait to play the campaign and I hope it's a little bit longer this time around. I also really hope that the multiplayer mode isn't in the beta phase when it's released. Gears 2 had awful multiplayer at launch. They can fix this by packing in Gears 3 beta invites with Crackdown 2. Dom's beard is also amazingly awesome. It's cool that Anya is a playable character now, too.

Outrider
Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm looking forward to playing through this game with a friend (or several friends this time around, since it has 4-player co-op) and then never having any urge to play it again.

Just like with the first two.

I dunno what it is. The Gears of War games are great, incredibly well-designed games and I just happen to feel satisfied with them after one playthrough.

joefro
Apr 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah I agree with you on that one. I've only played through each game's campaign about two times, once solo and once or co-op. I thought that Gears 2 was much more interesting than the first. The first one seemed like they were nervous and weren't sure how to create the campaign. With 2 they were much more confident with the story.

McLaughlin
Apr 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
The writer of the books was brought on as the lead writer for Gears 3, so if you liked the books things are looking up.

I hope they tweak matchmaking a bit more, maybe then I'd play it. Horde on Hardcore was great fun though. Give us Theater mode, please?

joefro
Apr 16, 2010, 06:46 PM
I haven't read the Gears books yet, but they've been on my to-read list for a long time. That's cool that they're getting the novelist to help with the game. I can't even imagine how much better the story in the Halo games would be if Eric Nylund would have helped them. He wrote the majority of the Halo books.

Delete
Apr 17, 2010, 01:18 AM
Wasn't looking forward to many games coming out, but this caught me by surprise. I loved 2 and your right, the multiplayer did take some getting used to ( host = GOD MODE in this game). If they fix the host problems and the matchmaking, it should be awesome.

Dragwind
Apr 17, 2010, 06:04 AM
Oh yes. Yes yes yes. I have a strong desire to play this game upon it's release.

Powder Keg
Apr 17, 2010, 07:48 AM
Can't wait to get it.

On a side note, why does Dom look like he's 65 years old?

Delete
Apr 17, 2010, 05:37 PM
Can't wait to get it.

Moses Mode.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
Can't wait to get it.

He's trying to imitate the diz-mang.

[spoiler-box]
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2774/dizzywalliniy6.jpg
This diz, not the dizzydi. None can replicate that diz.[/spoiler-box]

Tomeeboy
Apr 17, 2010, 06:18 PM
Played a ton of Gears 2 and I'll almost definitely be playing this as well. I just hope they improve the network code to fix host advantage and problems that plagued the first and second games.

It would also be kind of cool if they expanded on the experience system that was added to Gears 2 via updates. Having some unlockable multiplayer perks, or even just some extra customization features, would be a nice addition.

Niered
Apr 17, 2010, 06:23 PM
But your still playing as the badguys.

Powder Keg
Apr 17, 2010, 07:06 PM
Played a ton of Gears 2 and I'll almost definitely be playing this as well. I just hope they improve the network code to fix host advantage and problems that plagued the first and second games.

You're telling me...

it was very easy to tell who the host was in almost every match and they would have a huge advantage. I hope they fix it too.

joefro
Apr 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
He's trying to imitate the diz-mang.

[spoiler-box]
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2774/dizzywalliniy6.jpg
This diz, not the dizzydi. None can replicate that diz.[/spoiler-box]
I hope he returns in Gears 3. They abruptly ended his story in Gears 2. His level was awesome in Gears 2. I hope he didn't receive the same fate as Tai.

McLaughlin
Apr 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
Pretty sure Diz kicked the bucket when Skorge attacked the Grindlifts.

I hope he's still in too, and the new Carmine better be as badass as Ben was.

Kent
Apr 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
It kinda makes sense, considering what went down in Gears of War 2.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 17, 2010, 09:01 PM
Pretty sure Diz kicked the bucket when Skorge attacked the Grindlifts.

I hope he's still in too, and the new Carmine better be as badass as Ben was.

According to this GoW comic, [spoiler-box]Tai told Dizzy to GTFO and Dizzy escaped (http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Gears_of_War:The_Quickening)[/spoiler-box]

Among some other details from another comic they had mentioned on the wiki but didn't have a link to.

McLaughlin
Apr 17, 2010, 09:46 PM
Sweet deal.

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
But your still playing as the badguys.

What do you mean by this? I havn't played Gears 2 and prolly never will. Spoiler please!

Niered
Apr 18, 2010, 02:41 PM
What do you mean by this? I havn't played Gears 2 and prolly never will. Spoiler please!

It's not really a spoiler, or a twist, just a fact.

Human's fuck up the earth, they find a new home world (Sera) and colonize it, unaware of the fact that a sentient species lives right underneath them (the Locust). The Locust end up being fairly benevolent, seeing how they actually allow humanity to live on the surface for a very long time. Of course, eventually humanity finds out about Imulsion as a fuel, and 79 years of economic strife and war break out.

So the real question is this: If you were the Locust, and you had evolved on this planet since the beginning of the galaxy, and you had proven to be the sole sentient species on the planet, would you allow some backwater race of meddling humans slowly destroy your homeworld through warfare and irresponsibility? Nope. You'd defend it, because you took care of this place, and you were even nice enough to let these guys stay on your planet, until they started fucking it up. It's also interesting to note that the alien race are called the Locust, an insect known for its voracious appetite and leaving environments decimated, when the humans are actually much guiltier of this fact than the Locust are.

Gears of War has you playing as the bad guys.

Volcompat321
Apr 18, 2010, 02:46 PM

Human's fuck up the earth, they find a new home world (Sera) and colonize it, unaware of the fact that a sentient species lives right underneath them (the Locust). The Locust end up being fairly benevolent, seeing how they actually allow humanity to live on the surface for a very long time. Of course, eventually humanity finds out about Imulsion as a fuel, and 79 years of economic strife and war break out.

So the real question is this: If you were the Locust, and you had evolved on this planet since the beginning of the galaxy, and you had proven to be the sole sentient species on the planet, would you allow some backwater race of meddling humans slowly destroy your homeworld through warfare and irresponsibility? Nope. You'd defend it, because you took care of this place, and you were even nice enough to let these guys stay on your planet, until they started fucking it up.

You know...that actually makes sense.
I never followed the story, but I did play the first one...all the way through.
I thought it was just fun killing stuff.
Seems I should have paid attention, because now it's interesting.

joefro
Apr 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
You know...that actually makes sense.
I never followed the story, but I did play the first one...all the way through.
I thought it was just fun killing stuff.
Seems I should have paid attention, because now it's interesting.
You can't really blame yourself for not following the story during the first game. The first game didn't have much of a story, as compared to the second one.

I can't wait to play the third!

McLaughlin
Apr 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
Was it ever stated anywhere that Sera is a colonized world and not their home planet? I haven't read the books or comics.

Kent
Apr 18, 2010, 06:57 PM
I'm curious as to how people manage to not stumble onto the whole message about humans being the "bad guys" (or rather, invaders) in Gears of War.

Was it ever stated anywhere that Sera is a colonized world and not their home planet? I haven't read the books or comics.
It's hinted at rather overtly at several points in the original game.

McLaughlin
Apr 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
I'll have to go replay it later tonight. Admittedly I ran through both campaigns in Co-op so I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was going on.

Zeek123
Apr 18, 2010, 11:17 PM

So the real question is this: If you were the Locust, and you had evolved on this planet since the beginning of the galaxy, and you had proven to be the sole sentient species on the planet, would you allow some backwater race of meddling humans slowly destroy your homeworld through warfare and irresponsibility? Nope. You'd defend it, because you took care of this place, and you were even nice enough to let these guys stay on your planet, until they started fucking it up. It's also interesting to note that the alien race are called the Locust, an insect known for its voracious appetite and leaving environments decimated, when the humans are actually much guiltier of this fact than the Locust are.

That is actually more about Gears than I've ever heard lol.

Are all the humans meat-head douchebags like the main characters?

Niered
Apr 19, 2010, 12:17 AM
That is actually more about Gears than I've ever heard lol.

Are all the humans meat-head douchebags like the main characters?

No, theyre meat-head douchebag sexists. Ever wondered why there are no female COG's? It's because they're required to pretty much just have kids to sustain the population. You know why the new girl can fight in GOW3? Easy, her plumbing's borked, she cant have kids, so the only thing she could possibly be good for is absorbing lead.

I like making fun of GOW, but its not a bad game, in fact I actually like the idea of you playing as the bad guys. even if no one ever seems to realize it. It's sort of interesting, because if you were presented with the same situation, just because you were fully aware you were the invaders, you probably wouldn't have much of a choice. It wasnt your fault the governments fucked over Sera, and the Locusts are pretty vindicated in trying to erase you from existence, but you either kill the "good guys" or you let your species go extinct.

But the game is still sexist.

Outrider
Apr 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
But the game is still sexist.

I'm not one to deny a good rant on sexism, but I'm actually kind of okay with this element of the Gears of War fiction. It's a dystopian society on the edge of extinction and they've given up many basic human rights as a result. It makes sense within the fiction.

Niered
Apr 19, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm not one to deny a good rant on sexism, but I'm actually kind of okay with this element of the Gears of War fiction. It's a dystopian society on the edge of extinction and they've given up many basic human rights as a result. It makes sense within the fiction.

Oh no, I'm not denying that it isnt a potentially good little tid-bit, Im just stating that the society is inherently sexist. The basic idea being that it's a lesser evil to go to traditional gender roles than die off as a species makes sense, though it sucks no less.