PDA

View Full Version : Character corruption warning

HeartBreak301
Apr 21, 2010, 09:55 PM
For all of you who play on the big private server's BB, I have a warning for you. Lately there has been a NOL'ing type scenario where your character can be corrupted and turned into a character named Dark Gaia. It is unknown at this time whether this is a server glitch or a hacker. So playing on BB currently you're running a risk of character corruption, hopefully this helped some of you.

psofan219
Apr 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
This actually saved me, so thank you for posting this. To think I was about to log on, but not now :o And thank God I have PSOGC, otherwise I'd go nuts!

HeartBreak301
Apr 21, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm playing PSOPC right now, need more people to play with. :/

ZER0 DX
Apr 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
Confirming this is the work of an outside source, so it would be wise to not log on to Blue Burst until the guy behind it is permanently banned and the method he was using to do it is patched up. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Also, anyone who was hit by the Dark Gaia hacker should report it to the (server) admin for a rollback.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
@psofan219: PSOGC isn't affected by this most likely cause of char saving to the memory card. if you get hit just turn power off without saving. Do note you loose all items, meseta and un-equiped weapons/armors/shields/mags in that progress.

Though if you stay in the GC only ship you should be safe, BBers can't get in there.

psofan219
Apr 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
@psofan219: PSOGC isn't affected by this most likely cause of char saving to the memory card. if you get hit just turn power off without saving. Do note you loose all items, meseta and un-equiped weapons/armors/shields/mags in that progress.

Though if you stay in the GC only ship you should be safe, BBers can't get in there.

I'm aware, but I mostly play BB. I was just saying I'm glad I have PSOGC because I can continue to play PSO, although I don't have a high level or any fancy equips, at least its still PSO. I thought I made that clear... Sorry if it didn't sound clear enough, and hopefully I have it explained now ^^;

Ce'Nedra
Apr 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
Ah ok i see.

Well if you ever decide to spend a lil time online on PSOGC, but sure to hit me up :P

chibipocky15
Apr 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
halloooooo~
What're guys talkin bout o.O

Apr 22, 2010, 05:18 PM
halloooooo~
What're guys talkin bout o.O

I recommend reading the first post. :)

psofan219
Apr 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
Ah ok i see.

Well if you ever decide to spend a lil time online on PSOGC, but sure to hit me up :P

Well, unfortunately I'm on the Wii and I don't have a BBA/Modem adapter D:

johnwolf
Apr 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
I recommend reading the first post. :)

ok, i think he means, WHAT THE HELL they are talking about. they say it changes the character, is that even POSABLE.

Kent
Apr 22, 2010, 06:12 PM
ok, i think he means, WHAT THE HELL they are talking about. they say it changes the character, is that even POSABLE.
It's been possible since PSOv1 on the Dreamcast.

Apr 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ya, Basically some people have reported having their characters turned into a level 1 RAmarl named dark gaia, sometimes losing all of their items and sometimes not.

HeartBreak301
Apr 22, 2010, 07:31 PM
An update from one of the GMs on the server.

For the people that have gotten there characters hacked:

The admin can roll your account back to febuary 1st.... I am sorry there is no sooner date than that. If you want to do this with your account I need the following

Username and Password
Email Adress used to register Account
Characters names (Include which one got changed and what it was before it got changed)

Also, When your account gets a Rollback it is for the entire account. Not just the character that was hacked.

The admin also made a new backup from last night so anyone that got hit today by the hack can get roll backed to yesterday April 21st...

under no circumstance trade items that will be affected by a rollback. We will find out and slap you with a hefty ban if you are doing this.

Obviously if you feel you know or have found anyone invovled with this PM as many of the GM's/Mod's with any evidence so we can solve this problem as soon as possible.

Megatron0088
Apr 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
This actually saved me, so thank you for posting this. To think I was about to log on, but not now :o And thank God I have PSOGC, otherwise I'd go nuts!

i second that thought. although Guld&Milla said his memory cards got corrupted and he's on GC........

HeartBreak301
Apr 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
This only applies to Blue Burst, there is someone corrupting characters and remaking them into Dark Gaias or Neos. GC memory card corruption has nothing to do with this thread.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 23, 2010, 12:53 AM

:(

@Megatron0088: THat has nothing to do with this. You can't have your card corrupted that easy. Most common example is when power is turned off while saving. A BBer can't hack the game that much it goes into your memory card and will corrupt you.

HeartBreak301
Apr 23, 2010, 01:24 AM
New update, a backup was made on April 21st. So if you haven't been hacked yet you can now log in more safely, although the problem is probably still around.

Splash
Apr 23, 2010, 02:50 AM
Be sure to be on a good lookout for anything suspicious.

Seira7
Apr 23, 2010, 09:42 AM

There isn't any way at this point to get online with the Wii is there. I'm sure its been asked numerous times. It just would be nice to play in progressive scan *and* online =)

Cranberry
Apr 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
If you have an older Gamecube that has the component cable jacks, you can play it in progressive scan. Newer Gamecubes don't have this port though.

Now, for the topic on hand. Here's the story.

Blue Burst players are having their characters destroyed and remade into a level 1 character named Dark Gaia. Sometimes there's another name used too, but it's usually Dark Gaia. It appears that the hacker has compromised the accounts and gained access to user names and passwords. The information right now seems to suggest that passwords and user names may be getting intercepted. Right now I am advising people to not log into PSOBB. The administrators are working hard to put a stop to this.

Gamecube and Version 1 & 2 PSO are not affected by this. Your data is saved on the client and can't be harmed by this hack. Gamecube memory card corruptions have nothing to do with this and are instead the result of either an interrupted save or a faulty memory card. Neither of which is the server's doing.

So, in short, it is adviseable for Blue Burst players to take a break from PSO this weekend and find other things to do. I'm not 100% sure that staying offline will keep character data safe, but the current information suggests.

psofan219
Apr 23, 2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm doing, I'm just staying offline until all this blows over. Could be days, even weeks, but it's better than finding an awesome uber and then getting turned into Dark Gaia and having my account rolled back to the 21st, which would mean I would lose that rare. Chances are, this would happen if I found one, as my luck loves to screw with me like that.

WolfWells21
Apr 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone know if there has been anything dne about the hacker?

SStrikerR
Apr 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
Ask at their forums. Their admins know more about the situation than anybody here does. But as far as I know, no. Not yet.

Cranberry
Apr 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
Right now no new registrations are allowed. A ban was issued to the person believed responsible and there's not been any additional reports of people being hit. It looks like PSOBB is safe for the moment, though we're not certain of it.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
so no knew people can join right now?

HeartBreak301
Apr 25, 2010, 03:27 PM
That is correct. One of us will post here when that has been fixed.

WolfWells21
Apr 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
I am not really sure where to look on that company that hosts PSOBB that starts with an S but their forums seem to not have any talk of the hacker. If someone could help me, is it safe to log on to PSOBB?

SStrikerR
Apr 25, 2010, 04:44 PM
Better yet, how about you read this page and find your answer yourself. Or actually search around on their forums, because there is a topic about it.

Honestly, if you read enough of this topic to be reading my post here, you should already know.

Cranberry
Apr 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
In case it wasn't known, I'm a GM over there. New account registrations are disabled until further notice. There haven't been any new hacker reports since Friday, so it appears that the immediate threat is over and it seems to be safe to play if you already have an existing account. We aren't 100% certain it's safe, but there's been no new cases reported.

If you don't already have an account, Blue Burst is not an option for you right now. You'll either have to wait, or turn to a different platform such as Gamecube or V2 that don't require registration.

WolfWells21
Apr 25, 2010, 06:57 PM
Well, I am sorry for my own confusion, I was just looking for the most recent update of information not from a day or two before.

Somnia
Apr 28, 2010, 03:46 PM
So is the carnage over now? I've been drooling to start playing BB again since last week.

psofan219
Apr 28, 2010, 09:09 PM
Seems like it. I've been able to play quietly, though I now go to completely dead lobbies and make a game ASAP.

SStrikerR
Apr 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
Well, I am sorry for my own confusion, I was just looking for the most recent update of information not from a day or two before.

Well the most recent update had been from a day or two before. The admins there hadn't released any new information to the public yet. Therefore you couldn't find anything more recent.

HeartBreak301
Apr 29, 2010, 03:55 AM
It seems safe now, no new corruptions have been reported to my knowledge. Although new account registration still seems to be disabled for the time being.

Cranberry
Apr 29, 2010, 01:43 PM
There haven't been any new cases. It's safe as far as I know, though the administrators have not officially declared this case to be closed. I'm not sure that anything other than registrations being disabled is keeping the person away.

HeartBreak301
May 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
Registration SHOULD be re-enabled by tuesday.