PDA

View Full Version : PSZ and DSi Shoulder buttons

The_Gio
May 4, 2010, 04:20 AM
I know this isnt really game relevant but i just have a quick question,my friend and I got psz a while back I believe around when the game barely came out,now for my question,we would play psz a lot and i noticed my shoulder buttons on my dsi slowly stop responding as well as they did, so I naturally sent it in to nintendo to get them fixed and its fixed now but now I noticed my friend is also having the same problem with his shoulder buttons that they dont respond as well that he has to blow into the buttons or push down harder just so they work a little, so is it that because psz makes us use our shoulder buttons more than it messes up the shoulder buttons? i mean i use them to look around holding Y and to lock on and to shortcut to my items or equip menu when i push start or is it just us pushing the buttons too hard heh sorry if this isnt that relevant to the game itself but more of a hardware question.

Cruciarius
May 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
The L and R buttons seem to go on DSs that aren't cared for properly. For example: Carried around without a case. Your pocket isn't good enough as that puts pressure on the shoulder buttons.

Some claim they never mistreated their DS in such a way, but personally, I've had my DS for about 2 years. My older brother has had his DS phat since it's release and a DS lite shortly after they came out. All 3 of these DSs work perfectly fine and all use cases, when traveling.

DaRkWoLf30
May 4, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have had my DS phat since it was release as well and it is in perfect condition, only problem is the screen because my brother used it for a while but other than that all the buttons work fine. I carry it around in a case and treat it pretty well so that must be why.

saphira
May 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
My DS lite works well too, only the battery which is very bad now.

rufusangus
May 4, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've been using my DS lite for a couple years and i haven't had a problem with the buttons themselves. Of course if you don't count the fact that it was designed for kids hands or stubby fat hands, and gives me cramps all the time..and i'm not even talking about the horror that is fps games like metriod prime using the stylus.

It's such a problem i tend to only buy games that require rare usage of the L and R buttons, and no stylus control; I use d-pad to aim in metriod, because lets face it, its ergonomics are so terrible for average sized adult hands, it must have been built for 10 year olds to use. Maybe the xli is the answer, but i still think it wouldn't have been that hard to make the dslite a little more economical for people that have fingers longer than 2 and a half inches. Sometimes it seems like its literally giving me carpel-tunnel syndrome.

steaIth
May 4, 2010, 04:00 PM
try this, push the edge of the should button(the side of the edge of the DS) toward the DS and then in a little. I found this out because my L button took a harder pushing, then stopped altogether 3 days ago. I noticed that the L button on the corner was out a bit harther that the R button.

This worked for my DS lite, and if you have a problem like this, try this, and feedback would probably help to see if this works on most peoples DS's.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
i think ds original doesnt have a problem, ive had mine since a couple months after release or so (maybe even sooner) and it's buttons work fine, my dsi's right shoulder button does have problems tho, i think nintendo's not trying as hard to make them durable anymore even if a case would work

DrTrustme
May 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
My DS I found on the side of the road. A couple months after release if I remember correctly. Also I have never used a case and it works fine. My Left Shoulder button was once unresponsive but, was fixed when I dropped the DS lol (I don't recommend it though)

SkyPioneer
May 5, 2010, 11:25 PM
The solution: Your breath.
When your shoulder buttons stop working, cover them with your mouth and breath on it.
The moisture in your breath with sharpen the contacts and your shoulder buttons should work again.

This technique is known throughout the DS community as "the kiss of life".

Hatrix
May 14, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hmm I had a feeling this would be an issue when I started playing this game alot. I'm constantly using them to swap palletes, quick menu, lock on, rotate camera, and turn while running. I'm pretty much always pressing at least one of them. So lately I have been sacrificing superior gameplay tactics to give them a bit of a rest.

GreenKirby
May 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
When your shoulder buttons stop working, cover them with your mouth and breath on it.
The moisture in your breath with sharpen the contacts and your shoulder buttons should work again.

I use this TECHNIQUE (haha see what i did there?) too. it works great. tho i thought it was weird to do it until i googled it ^^

Dragwind
May 23, 2010, 09:50 PM

Interesting. I'll be giving this a try next time my L button decides to stop working.

TaciturnBadger
May 24, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've had my DSlite for almost four years now, and gone through three Pokemon games at 200+ hours each (yes, I'm a nerd) using the L button as my "OK/accept" so I can play single-handedly, plus over 350 hours on PSZ already; it's been accidentally left in a puddle of tap water overnight (never get TOO drunk when gaming), and never spent a second in a case even after close to twenty-five road trips. It hasn't been dropped, knocked about, or otherwise abused.. but it still works beautifully. I have to admit to being rather panicked about the water puddle, but letting it dry out before playing it seems to have been smart, since it still works at 100% functionality.

I guess the point of this post is that my theory is simply mediocre manufacturing quality control and the random luck-of-the-draw that is one controller to the next. (Ever noticed how your friend's controllers never feel like yours?) Judging from the way I've played my DSlite, I feel pretty darned confident in saying that it has little to nothing to do with the number of times the button is pressed.

Though I will keep that "breath of life" trick handy, in case I ever need it!

Wintermute0
Jun 5, 2010, 04:38 PM
This seems like a common DSi problem... I'm wanting to play PSZ right now, but my shoulder buttons are completely useless and I don't have the receipt... and the "kiss of life" only works for about half a minute.

I'm planning on picking up a DS XL in the next day or two to get back on track.

blazecon0
Jun 5, 2010, 05:55 PM
The L and R buttons seem to go on DSs that aren't cared for properly. For example: Carried around without a case. Your pocket isn't good enough as that puts pressure on the shoulder buttons.

Some claim they never mistreated their DS in such a way, but personally, I've had my DS for about 2 years. My older brother has had his DS phat since it's release and a DS lite shortly after they came out. All 3 of these DSs work perfectly fine and all use cases, when traveling.

it is because of pressure on the buttons in the pocket.
mine were doing this for a long time, when i started using a case, it stopped doin it.

chibiLegolas
Jun 8, 2010, 03:12 PM
My L button also sticks a lot. I guess I should of gotten a case for the DS then.
Whenever it sticks, I just fiddle a lot with it with my finger nails. Shifting it in all directions, lifting it. Sooner or later, it seemed to fix itself.
I can't say for how much longer though.

Good to know it's not just me.

Pirrip
Jun 9, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have always taken very good care of my DS (The original model) and the shoulder button problem happened to me too... But it's ONLY been on PSZero... go figure! I guess I'm not the only one! I wondered if it was just the sheer amount of time I spent on the game that wore it down, or if my DS was just getting old.
If it happens to me again anytime soon, I'll try that "kiss of life" technique as aforementioned by SkyPioneer.

beastinabox
Jun 14, 2010, 06:37 PM
they just die after a wile of use i had mine for 6 years then i got psz and it stopped working slowly so i got another one just take good care of it and it should last.:panda: