PDA

View Full Version : Game sonic adventure

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 13, 2010, 03:54 PM
so most people say that sonic's golden age was back in the 16 bit era with his sidesrollers, but i would have to say i liked his first 3D games the most, sonic asadventure and sonic adventure 2 (i played them on the gamecube) are my favorite sonic games sa2b is the best of the 2 imo, anyone else share this opinion or am i just weird?

amtalx
May 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
The Sonic levels were awesome. Big the Cat can go leap off a cliff...with a anvil tied around this throat for good measure. That goes for the rest of the side characters too.

The Last Baron
May 13, 2010, 05:18 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the best one. No doubt.

WHY CAN'T KNUCKLES BE A MAIN CHARACTER:disapprove:

Hatrix
May 13, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hell yeah Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast was amazing! I used to love playing the mini games with my Chaos on the VMU. I only played the first one a few times tho I think it was pretty awsome. I'd have to say SA2 was one of the best platforming games ever. It's probably my favorite over Mario64 even.

Nitro Vordex
May 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
The Dreamcast games really shouldn't be compared to the 2D Genesis games.

I own all of the main Sonic games for Genesis, plus a launch Genesis. Still works too. I had the most fun on Sonic 2 and 3&K. Sonic Adventure was fun, when I wasn't playing something other than Sonic, Tails, or Gamma.

Lyghtstrea
May 13, 2010, 06:39 PM
The Dreamcast games really shouldn't be compared to the 2D Genesis games.
that's true *nods* it's like apples vs oranges to say the least. i remember getting the first Sonic when it was released for the genesis many moons ago; the side scrolling speed really made an impact for me during the days when 16-bit wow'd gamers. the side scrollers i enjoyed, my favorite was Sonic CD, more for shifting through time to change a bad future to a potentially clean one was an interesting concept

not to say the 3d variations weren't impressive, they were & are to this day, but the nostalgia (for me) is rooted more in the 2d, animation, art/ design, & game design were top notch for the development team of the time. hai, i agree, Knuckles needs his own series.......either that or custom a hedgehog ^^

HUnewearl_Meira
May 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
While the Sonic Adventure games were, indeed, rather good, while plenty was done right with them, plenty was also done horribly, horribly wrong. Tails' gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2, for example, was quite a stretch for that character. I understand that they wanted some hero-side symmetry for Robotnik, but the simple fact of the matter is that it doesn't fit the character, and is heavily contrary to the expectations of Tails' fans. I also thought that they could've done something substantially more interesting with Knuckles' stages in both games.

So while Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were both entertaining games, I think that Sega could've done a better job in handling the use of multiple characters. Sonic 3 & Knuckles made the use of multiple characters interesting by giving each character abilities that granted him access to different areas of the map. This was a compelling aspect of the game, and one that the Adventure games completely and totally fail to capitalize on. In these games, sure, every character has his own abilities, but they're used for entirely unrelated purposes, and even the Sonic stages, while enjoyable in their own right, don't quite retain the qualities that made the level design of the previous games so downright interesting. In the long run, that makes it a game that you play through and enjoy once every few years, but not a game that you start over, once you've finished it.

Niered
May 13, 2010, 10:17 PM
ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Ezodagrom
May 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
I enjoyed both Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 back then, for the Dreamcast (I liked SA2 more), but Sonic/Shadow's gameplay style was much better than the other characters, in my opinion.
It's a pitty they still haven't made a 3D game that is completely focused on the core gameplay. :<

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 14, 2010, 01:00 AM
ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL
Got it.

*runs off to steal much more wholesome, much more awesome Even_Jin Sonic comix*

Seth Astra
May 14, 2010, 08:08 AM
Personally I loved SA2B more than, well, any sonic game I played so far. Honestly, I didn't hate the non-sonic/shadow stages as much as most people seem to. I really liked the stage designs, even if the ARK was used for a few too many stages. SA1 wasn't that great, IMO. The gameplay just felt a lot slower, and who doesn't hate Big's stages? Lame character + stupid fishing stages = fail.

Outrider
May 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
I loved the first Sonic Adventure game.

Sonic's levels were great. Since Tail's levels were basically just Sonic's levels with slightly different paths, I liked them too. Knuckles' levels weren't so great. Amy's levels were okay, but mostly because there were so few of them. Gamma's levels were great. (EDIT: I wrote this post and forgot to even mention Big's levels. I guess that summarizes how I felt about them.)

I tolerated the second Sonic Adventure game.

Sonic/Shadow levels were generally fun, and I liked some of the new additions (Grinding and instant Lightspeed dash), but Tails and Knuckles' levels were awful.

And can I just be a blasphemer for a second and say I really loved the hub levels in the first Sonic Adventure? I'm not sure - there's just something about them that I really enjoyed.

But yeah, I'd have to say that my best memory of playing a Sonic game was when I played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles with one of my buddies. That was a ton of fun.

Ezodagrom
May 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
I loved the first Sonic Adventure game.

Sonic's levels were great. Since Tail's levels were basically just Sonic's levels with slightly different paths, I liked them too. Knuckles' levels weren't so great. Amy's levels were okay, but mostly because there were so few of them. Omega's levels were great. (EDIT: I wrote this post and forgot to even mention Big's levels. I guess that summarizes how I felt about them.)

I tolerated the second Sonic Adventure game.

Sonic/Shadow levels were generally fun, and I liked some of the new additions (Grinding and instant Lightspeed dash), but Tails and Knuckles' levels were awful.

And can I just be a blasphemer for a second and say I really loved the hub levels in the first Sonic Adventure? I'm not sure - there's just something about them that I really enjoyed.

But yeah, I'd have to say that my best memory of playing a Sonic game was when I played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles with one of my buddies. That was a ton of fun.
It's not Omega, it's Gamma. :>
But about Sonic Adventure 2 Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge levels, they're not much different from Gamma and Knuckles levels in the first Sonic Adventure.

Outrider
May 14, 2010, 02:45 PM
It's not Omega, it's Gamma. :>
But about Sonic Adventure 2 Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge levels, they're not much different from Gamma and Knuckles levels in the first Sonic Adventure.

Whoops. I'll fix that in a sec.

First I'd like to explain why there is a big difference between Gamma and Omega/Tails levels in the two games.

Gamma levels were quick and linear. You went down a straight shot killing enemies with a simple lock-on system and then you fought a boss. If I recall correctly, most of those levels lasted no more than a minute or two.

Sonic Adventure 2 shooter levels had you managing more complex platforming and puzzle solving which not only slowed down the pacing of the game but it also allowed you to run into issues Sonic Adventure 2's camera, which was one of its largest problems.

If there's one thing I think the Sonic Adventure games did really well, it's the quick and linear bursts of fun. It's when they started opening things up in Sonic Adventure 2 that their weaknesses as developers started to get in the way of their ambition.

Ezodagrom
May 14, 2010, 02:50 PM
Just said that they weren't much different, but I agree that the SA2 non Sonic stages weren't as good as the SA1 ones because SA2 were bigger/longer/slower paced.

Zeek123
Jun 8, 2010, 02:17 AM
Both were good. I'm siding with Outrider about the Hub World.

I also liked how Shadow kind of "skated". Twas nifty.

Oh, and Chao made SA2B for me. Gawd I loved those little things.

Seth Astra
Jun 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
I agree that SA2 chao were really fun. The system was way better in that game than SA1.

Outrider
Jun 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
So, both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX have been rated for XBLA.

Why would they release both? I thought DX made the original obsolete?

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2010, 09:53 PM
For masochists who want the original chao, or sadists that want to bring Gamma into the gardens.

Also I can't say SA2's cameras were nearly as bad as SA1's (save for that one part on Mission Street), and Knux's stages were slightly more tolerable in SA2 due to the drill drive (they still weren't fun, though). I did like the adventure fields, as well.

Also the best part of SA2 was the fact that Big and Amy were no longer playable.

I kinda liked Shadow in SA2, it's a shame it wasn't his only appearance.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 8, 2010, 10:03 PM
shadow was in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" that was released for ps3 and 360 though

Ezodagrom
Jun 8, 2010, 10:34 PM
shadow was in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" that was released for ps3 and 360 though
Ronin_Cooper meant that Shadow shouldn't have appeared after SA2.

Zeek123
Jun 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.n-philes.com/games/GCN/GCN_shadowthehedgehog/boxart.jpg

And let's not even talk about Sonic Heroes

Ezodagrom
Jun 8, 2010, 11:34 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog... ._.
The quality of the PS2 version is so bad that it actually gives me headaches. <.<;

Weeaboolits
Jun 9, 2010, 11:57 AM
I remember starting up the game and hearing the gunshot menu sound and immediately thinking "That's gonna get really annoying really fast" it did.

Also I cracked up during the opening cut-scene. "THE SAME GRUESOME IMAGE".

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 13, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ronin_Cooper meant that Shadow shouldn't have appeared after SA2.

oh, i agree, if he *spoiler**spoiler* dies at the end sa2, how does he come back*

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
so most people say that sonic's golden age was back in the 16 bit era with his sidesrollers, but i would have to say i liked his first 3D games the most, sonic asadventure and sonic adventure 2 (i played them on the gamecube) are my favorite sonic games sa2b is the best of the 2 imo, anyone else share this opinion or am i just weird?

No, your not weird....I completely agree with ya. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were also my favorite Sonics of all time (2 being slightly better because of no Big the Cat).

This was in my Top 4 list of DC games including Shenmue 1 and MVC 2.

Monochrome
Jun 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
I, too, love Sonic Adventure. It insta-sold me on the Dreamcast. Despite the sequel having a more consistent frame-rate and spiffy textures, I prefer the first one. As others have mentioned, the hub world is also something unique (in that it is so huge!). I missed it in the second one (kinda like in Mario Galaxy 2). I dunno, I see how people just wanna jump into the action, but I always kind of liked hub worlds in general.

The music! The awesome cheesy music! I bought both the soundtracks (vocal and themes).

Also, I never had any problem with the Big stages (except when I couldn't get him to walk up an incline).. I liked that there were different styles of play in both SA1 and 2. Also, Tails Mission Street stage was one of my faves in SA2. So I guess I had a slightly different experience than most Sonic fans.

Then again I really liked Sonic Heroes too, so...

Nitro Vordex
Jun 22, 2010, 02:17 PM
The only thing I really like about Sonic 3D games now is the music. It's always been amazing, I think.

Akaimizu
Jun 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
The Sonic Adventure games, I really liked. On Dreamcast. I practically despised the Gamecube ports because they took a dramatic drop in performance. However, oddly enough, once they stopped porting and made Sonic Heroes initially for the Gamecube, it's like they suddenly learned the hardware and made something that performed well.

I'm one of the few that enjoyed Heroes for it's formation-based highspeed gameplay. That and the way sometimes formations branched you off into different completion paths. (And of course, Deem Bristow RIP)

As for my favorite. Somewhere between Adventure 1 and Adventure 2.

What I liked about Sonic Adventure 2 was how they started to give you bonuses for proper timing of jumps and manuevers, which would put you on the path of shortcuts and bonuses otherwise not attainable. Something to go for especially when going for best level records. They did that a bit with Formations in Heroes, and it comes back with a vengeance in the Sonic levels of Unleashed. It also had some pretty interesting boss battles. The bubble-temple boss being a good indication that we're going to see interesting boss encounters.

Sonic Adventure 1 was an interesting start. The game does have a bit more slowdown of aspects due to all the distance you travel outside of levels. It still had absolutely kick butt level designs in it, though. The transforming Eggman Flying Fortress is still one of the coolest moments of any Sonic game, IMO.