PDA

View Full Version : Three Phantasy Star related questions...

Chukie sue
May 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
#1:

I've been reading more and more about PSU's shut down date, and the possibility of a new Phantasy Star Online game to celebrate PSO's 10nth anniversary as shown here: http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-universe-pcps2-shuts-down-march-31st-2010-where-do-we-go-now/

I'd like to get your opinions on how likely you think it is for this new game to be released on the PC, or whether it wont just be PSP2 released in the USA...

Kinda a strange question but here goes:

What is the song that plays after you defeat Dark Falz in PSO entitled?

There was a boss I fought on PSO ep4 not too long ago, however, I can't remember it's name. (But it -WASNT- Olga Flow) If I remember correctly, it moved around from area to area quite often - hope that helps :)

Anyway, I was wondering what the name of the song was that played after beating the boss.

Sorry mods if this is the wrong place to ask - feel free to move this. (Not that I have to tell you)

Thanks in advance!

Nitro Vordex
May 13, 2010, 09:42 PM
You gotta be more specific on the boss. I would guess Gal de Val though.

Vanzazikon
May 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
#1) Very unlikely, imo

#2) Can still see the light / Can still see the light - Instrumental ver.(Multi-mode/PSO:BB)

#3) Shambertin/Kondrieu. The music that plays after it is "World with me - Remix"

Lyghtstrea
May 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
Shougai PSO posted a quote from Dengeki Magazine regarding an interview about PSO10th Anniversary. In it he says, given that last year’s Phantasy Star Portable 2, is seen as the compilation of the series. The next new thing he wants to do is something incredibly challenging that is “a giant leap“, [possibly something extremely different than what we'd expect /something that upgrades the series?] however, he still wants to please the traditional fans.
a giant leap.......is there more about that? i hope there will be more than just the new portable released stateside. i'd go back to the xbox 360 in a heartbeat if their attention would update the gameplay to be as the same style as psp2 ^^

Niered
May 13, 2010, 10:19 PM
I want the next PS game to make up for the shit that was PSU SO BAD. I don't have much hope though, if they are doing a 10th anniversary sort of game, they better have had it in the works for a long time now, thats not the sort of thing that you should really just slap together in a short dev time.

But hey! It's Sega! When have they ever let us down right?

Randomness
May 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
I want the next PS game to make up for the shit that was PSU SO BAD. I don't have much hope though, if they are doing a 10th anniversary sort of game, they better have had it in the works for a long time now, thats not the sort of thing that you should really just slap together in a short dev time.

But hey! It's Sega! When have they ever let us down right?

Frankly, PSU was decent. The game mechanics were good. Problem was in the execution as a whole, in the dying community, lack of variety in missions played (Read: Crimson/White Beast spam), and number one, SEGA's prolonged mismanagement. By the time they started doing some things right... PC/PS2 was mortally wounded. (Actually, the synthesis system was stupid, too. The actual fighting and all, that was well done...)

Ezodagrom
May 13, 2010, 11:13 PM
#1:

I've been reading more and more about PSU's shut down date, and the possibility of a new Phantasy Star Online game to celebrate PSO's 10nth anniversary as shown here: http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-universe-pcps2-shuts-down-march-31st-2010-where-do-we-go-now/

I'd like to get your opinions on how likely you think it is for this new game to be released on the PC, or whether it wont just be PSP2 released in the USA...
The talk about PSO 10th anniversary is not PSP2 western release. The hint about the 10th anniversary was dedicated to the Japanese players and it was quoted from a Japanese magazine some time after PSP2 was released there. They wouldn't be talking about the PSP2 western release in a Japanese magazine, right? :wacko:

Chukie sue
May 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone!

And thats a good point Ezodagrom!

sCI
May 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
PSU is pathetic. At least on PSO terms.

You couldn't create your own character if you played offline? Really? That's freakin terrible.

PSU is a disaster compared to PSO in my eyes. And don't even get me started on that pathetic card-game version of PSO(forget what it was...ep. 4?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
PSO was a huge success and awesome, but it seems like that's all the "ummmph" that they had. Ep.2 wasn't a bad addition, but they watered the playing down and limited characters and all kinds of watered-down shit(they simply just made the game easier because apparently there were a bunch of pussies complaining that DC's Ver.2 was just too hard).

After that, it was all down hill from there. They shouldn't have been given the right to title them within the PS series.

I almost don't want to see another game in the PS series, because it's probably going to be another pathetic attempt by Sonic team at some "different" game experience.--They should stick to what they know and remake a more refined and harder version of PSO ep1-2--as boring as that may sound to some people.

////ST hating rant__

Ezodagrom
May 14, 2010, 02:48 PM
PSU is pathetic. At least on PSO terms.

You couldn't create your own character if you played offline? Really? That's freakin terrible.

PSU is a disaster compared to PSO in my eyes. And don't even get me started on that pathetic card-game version of PSO(forget what it was...ep. 4?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
PSO was a huge success and awesome, but it seems like that's all the "ummmph" that they had. Ep.2 wasn't a bad addition, but they watered the playing down and limited characters and all kinds of watered-down shit(they simply just made the game easier because apparently there were a bunch of pussies complaining that DC's Ver.2 was just too hard).

After that, it was all down hill from there. They shouldn't have been given the right to title them within the PS series.

I almost don't want to see another game in the PS series, because it's probably going to be another pathetic attempt by Sonic team at some "different" game experience.--They should stick to what they know and remake a more refined and harder version of PSO ep1-2--as boring as that may sound to some people.

////ST hating rant__
There's a reason why the character offline wasn't the same as online. Cheaters/hackers.
Who's to blame about this? PSO players that cheated, not ST.

Also, in my opinion some parts of PSU were better than PSO, like better character customization, better graphics and smoother gameplay (I'm not saying that the gameplay in PSU was better than PSO though).

sCI
May 14, 2010, 07:07 PM
About your comment on cheating--True, can't argue that.

PSU>PSO--Ehh, I'll give graphics, customization, music, money...hell, ANYTHING--to play PSO over PSU. It just seemed like they were trying to modernize it.....but failed.

I wished they had continued the storyline to PSO ep1&2. I always wanted to see it go somewhere....And the possibilities are amazing for what they could've done on these new consoles!

I'm just really disappointed that the PSO series went from a really kick-ass start, and then just dropped off in a completely different direction.

I say that because I can only bag on PSU so much, it has it's fans. So I'm going to cease saying it's a terrible game and now just simply argue the fact that they changed directions away from PSO ep1-2 so much....and left it hanging.

It's not even the storyline that matters(it did when I was a lot younger), it's the potential the game had to become so much better--because face it, everyone that has had the patience to play Ep1-2 for 2+ years knows there are a lot of things that would have been REALLY great if it were incorporated into the game.
Now add the fact that they'd have added this hypothetical new stuff with more levels, different areas, all kinds of other new shit....

That's what I blame on ST. They gave up on a game that at one time I loved so much. So many good times associated with the game. Now I'll probably never get into video games again,just not my cup of tea. But I still come on here and see every now and then if they have something new coming.....

Thanks for reading all that bullshit, whoever cares(cause I think this has been gone-over a trillion times since the GC PSO server shut-down).

Ezodagrom
May 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
There's also Phantasy Star Portable 2, the last game in the PSU series. The improvements made on PSPo2 show that PSU had the potential to be much better. Taking into consideration the year when PSU was released, it's not really a surprise that it wasn't as good as it could have been (*cough* same year as Sonic 06 *cough*). :wacko:

Well, seeing how PSPo2 turned out to be, it's possible that the next online Phantasy Star game can be great. :>

Ragrappy99
May 16, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'd probably get excited, but I've come to learn that Sega will screw up anything I have any hope for.

KellyTaylor
May 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
I've got a couple characters around your level, so I'll be able to do some gaming with you. LV82 RAcaseal and a LV60 HUcaseal are at my disposal, as well as others PM me if you want to meet, with the time as well.

NegaTsukasa
May 30, 2010, 11:12 AM
the only thing I appreciated on PSU was the fluent attacking commands and 360 turning instead of that 1...2...3... focused angle attacking system pso had. and a few of the weapons. but hey, who doesn't like new weapons? lol

If there will be a PSO remake I expect an exact replica of the old DC/GC generation of 1&2
with upgrdaded graphics. Saw my brother play monster hunter tri the other day. oh man, if only the graphics of the places like the mountain range, or the forest 1 would be like that. the DC graphics looked like they weren't to far off from the new MH graphics anyway. just an older version of graphics.

sCI
May 31, 2010, 12:58 AM
Every time a thread gets off to this topic, I feel like we're a bunch of old-geezers in a dusty old pub in the midwest........wearing plaid vests, talking about the old days and the revival of something that will never come.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 31, 2010, 09:18 AM
There's also Phantasy Star Portable 2, the last game in the PSU series. The improvements made on PSPo2 show that PSU had the potential to be much better. Taking into consideration the year when PSU was released, it's not really a surprise that it wasn't as good as it could have been (*cough* same year as Sonic 06 *cough*). :wacko:

Well, seeing how PSPo2 turned out to be, it's possible that the next online Phantasy Star game can be great. :>

wait, psu is over?

NAM
May 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yes sCI I wholeheartedly agree about the modernization part and about PSU's music, weapon system, enemies, lobby, stages, shop concept (no original music for the shops or places? FAIL!), character design, story, some PAs are just STUPID (arts...? LAME!), online support, endless grinding, Ranger and Force classes were just repetitive crap that took forever to get any kind of improvement that still sucked, Hunters became boring too after awhile and how crappy all those characteristics turned out to be.

NO PHOTON CHAIRS WTF?! UGH!! PSU seemed more like a setback from PSO, literally and its general theme.

The clothes were too modernized, the weapons were too bland and too much alike, the technics were boring as ever, Rangers also as boring as ever, and PSU didn't have that original whimsical futuristic look (and that's aside from the many other problems with the game).

I would've really liked PSU if they hadn't added and took out the wrong things. One little thing was PA colour level indication, instead of just making the PA aura match the weapon element colour. Another solution would be to simply change the murky purple aura after effect of vanilla PAs into a better colour or just plain old white. That's all they had to do. :P Okay I'm done ranting, but there's just so many things ST f'd up with in this game that its inexcusable.

NegaTsukasa
May 31, 2010, 02:22 PM
OMG Photon Chairs FTW!

truly an inventive feature. oh yes, lets not forget the GoGo Ball, if that is what it was called, in one of the lobbies.

...this honestly... has turned into another PSU hater thread of sorts. lol

RayneTheWhiteRing
May 31, 2010, 03:34 PM
Now, I don't HATE PSU per se, but to me, it didn't have that charm PSO had.

First, I'm going to talk about the good points.

- Improved graphics
Of course, this is almost LIGHTYEARS beyond the capabilities of the Dreamcast, more detail and rendering (albeit a bit of lag, but more on that when we get to it), and more vast environments for you to explore.

-Slightly Improved combat system
The combat I admit was VERY different from what I'm used to in PSO, but I gave it a try, and it was decent. I never really used strafing when I was able to play PSU but it had some advantages. Although first person view with guns I saw wasn't really necessary unless your target was out of view. Although the no timed attacks thing was a HUGE relief...

-Enemy Design
Now some of the enemies look SUPERB. Especially the SEED.
Now they're not like the enemies from the Ruins in PSO, but they look cool none the less.
If only they combine the old and new designs though...

Now, for the cons, or bad points in my opinion.

-Sound (Voice Acting, Music)
...I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this when I say the voice acting could have been better. I mean, it was different from the text bubbles PSO players are used to, but it didn't seem too amazing. And some lines are just...corny.

The music was good, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have the same charm as the previous game did. I miss the slight techno vibe they added to the songs, and how the music changed when you went into battle. Imagine yourself playing PSO, walking along the forest with calm music playing, slowly turning intense with incoming enemies.
That's what I missed.

-Characters/NPCs
The NPCs...let's face it, didn't appeal to me as much as Rico and Flowen's story did.
I don't think they had enough character development and seemed a bit awkward for me.
ESPECIALLY Ethan. -Makes face when you meet Excalibur- Yeeeeaaah.

Although I like Karen and Hyuga, those are the only characters I really liked.

This last part is just me but:

-They need to add clothes that make you look like Rico or Flowen.

I'm just saying.

But these opinions are just my two cents. Sega should try harder if they make a sequel.