PDA

View Full Version : Effin Whole Family on Facebook

unicorn
May 20, 2010, 01:03 AM
Okay, so I use to think I could be open with my thoughts and views on my internet profiles, etc.

When I was 7 I moved to the US from Puerto Rico, and lived here since. I visited my family in PR a couple times, the most recent being around Christmas 2009.

In my most recent visit, a couple cousins ask "tienes un facebook?" (have a facebook?), and I of course give them my FB without thinking much about it (since they're all around my age n stuff).

Little by little aunts add me. Uncles. Grandparents. MY MOM'S SECOND COUSINS. -_-

Then all of a sudden they're commenting on all my status. I went on a relationship and then I get flooded with "oh do you think you're going to marry her?". Mind you, I'm a gay male and homosexuality is a NO-NO in hispanic culture, so I just ignore everything and pretended I was seeing a girl and made up a name and everything. Not to worry right? They're over a thousand miles away.

Everytime I log in for a few seconds, "hola! esta BN?" (BN is apparently slang for 'bien', I barely know spanish, and here they are talking to me in slang). So I made myself appear offline to all my family so I don't get bugged everytime I log in.

Now for the most annoying part. My mom's second cousin, who is Jehovah's witness, sent me a private message asking why I have "mucho odio a diferentes personas" (hatred towards different people).

On my profile I state I hate "overly religious people". Great. So now I have to explain to my semi-bilingual relative that I don't like being preached to. And shes a Jehovah's witness.

I'm about to seriously delete my facebook.

joefro
May 20, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm in the same boat. I keep getting requests from my family and then from people who work for my dad. It's not that I hate my family or anything, it's mostly that I post personal stuff on my facebook that I don't want them to read. Stuff that they won't understand and stuff that they put weird comments on. I have my mom blocked from status updates. I'm also getting to the point that I want to delete my facebook. As of now, I'm going to keep it just because I hear that it's a bitch to actually delete it. I've also moved on to tumblr which is a cool social networking-esque blog stie. My tumblr has little info about me, so my family can't find me. my blog's name is in latin and the title is weird.

Volcompat321
May 20, 2010, 03:16 AM
I just don't put anything on Facebook (Yea...people recently made me make one..), that I don't want people to know.

I have 93 "friends" or family in the matter of a couple weeks.
The family I don't mind so much, but people from high school, that I barely talked to, or barely talk to now. (Been out since May 06').

I don't mind people knowing what's happening in my life, or why.
(Mind you, I'm not homosexual, and I have no other oddities about me I'd have to explain to closed minded people, either).

So it's really not a big deal.
I used to be real uppity about who sees my profiles on internets and whatnot, but I've just said "fuck it" to myself, and let whoever see whatever.
If there's a problem, they don't have to look at it. If there's something they don't like, and they think is odd or bogus, then they just don't know me.

I will say though, it is odd to see my mom's 70+ year old aunt seeing me post something along the lines of "I feel like an asshole right now" blah blah....
But she's actually cool about stuff like that.

Rust
May 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
I don't have this problem. The few info I leave public for everyone usually is enough to scare people away. Actually, my dad has been scared away when he could read my whole profile. :wacko:

Adriano
May 20, 2010, 08:19 AM
Just ignore their friend requests.

Or since you already accepted, change your last/first name to something else, and delete them all (unless you have mutual friends now) so they can't search you.

I made it very clear to my immediate family to not add me on facebook/myspace(even though I don't have the latter of the two).

Mysterious-G
May 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
1# You should have seen this coming
2# You could have ignored their friend requests

I know very well why I won't ever be on Facebook. But it is not because of happenings like these, because this could have been avoided.

PS. Facebook is worse than swine flu;

amtalx
May 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
Aaaaaand this is exactly why I don't have Facebook.

darkante
May 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Wow, all people on msn usually just bug me to get Facebook.
But i really donīt care about it...uhh.

Sayara
May 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
Frankly; you shouldn't be putting up seriously stupid stuff on the internet in the first place. CERTAINLY on a very popular webservice such as Facebook, Myspace, Twitter where anyone can get a hold of it. Your family isn't the only one who can find you and look up your info.

Though that is to say to not post ANYTHING on the internet; but i mean, use common sense.

Delete
May 20, 2010, 10:27 AM

Same here, I have a myspace, but I don't use it because what's the point really? If I wanna talk to my friends or family, I can call or text them. If I wanna talk to random people, I can go on Xbox Live (and probably get cussed out lol). And lastly, if I wanna talk about life or update my mood every hour, I can simply be Emo and talk to the walls.....okay...last one didn't fit but you get what I mean ;)

Outrider
May 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
You should be able to set all your family members so that they can only see your limited profile. If you have it set up right, they'll only be able to see as much information as you want them to see.

Go check the privacy section to figure out how to limit who sees what (though I don't remember if you have to manually set up the "Limited Profile" or if it's automatically created.)

unicorn
May 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
Frankly; you shouldn't be putting up seriously stupid stuff on the internet in the first place. CERTAINLY on a very popular webservice such as Facebook, Myspace, Twitter where anyone can get a hold of it. Your family isn't the only one who can find you and look up your info.

Though that is to say to not post ANYTHING on the internet; but i mean, use common sense.

Well I actually wasn't posting anything people my age wouldn't post. I think its just a cultural difference that they can't seem to understand where I'm coming from.

My facebook honestly doesn't have much on it, but what it has they read too much into. And its annoying, since I feel almost harassed by everything I post.

I tried ignoring their friend requests, but then they would call my MOTHER and ask "por que Luisito no acepto mi 'friend request'?"

I made another FB with a whole different name, its in katakana so they can't find it. And an obscure email as well.

Sayara
May 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
That problem would be solved then. Luckly for me; all my family ever does with Facebook is play Bejeweled. They added each other just to keep their scores together; its almost cute :wacko:

BIG OLAF
May 20, 2010, 11:20 AM
My family doesn't bother me so much on Facebook. Only problem I've ever had is my one annoying cousin constantly trying to start a FB chat with me, but I ignore her.

On the positive side, my dad and I always put hilarious Youtube videos on each others walls, so it's actually kind of fun.

Tetsaru
May 20, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have a Facebook account, but I'm hardly ever on it. It was more or less a phase I went through back when I was still in college. I still check it every once in a while to see what my old friends, classmates, and family are up to, but most of the time my Wall will be littered with nothing but PSN updates on what trophies I've acquired and what demos I've tried in the store, lol. That, and I used my account for a special promotion on League of Legends to where you could get a free exclusive character skin for Tristana that gave her pink hair if you became a fan of their group page...

Normally this:

[spoiler-box]
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/935/935321/league-of-legends-clash-of-fates-20081203012338301-000.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

...to this. :wacko:

[spoiler-box]
http://mobawars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tristana.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Not a big difference, but hey, it was free, considering some of their alternate skins are around $10 each... @_@ I really wanna get the new Chrome Rammus skin, since I play as him a lot:

Normally this:

[spoiler-box]
http://www.leagueoflegends-wiki.com/_/rsrc/1254038499716/lol/champions/rammus-the-armordillo/Rammus.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

...to this. :o

[spoiler-box]
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=30172&d=1274117371
[/spoiler-box]

And lol, Bowser skin:

[spoiler-box]
http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/101/1014104/league-of-legends-20090814090648906.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Powder Keg
May 20, 2010, 04:51 PM
Don't be afraid to show who you really are.

Also, facebook creeping gets on my nerves. ie. parents asking what this and that means 5000x a day.

Volcompat321
May 20, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yea, what Artea said, don't be afraid to show who you really are.
If they're your family, they'll learn to accept you for who you are.
If they don't, fuck em. :wacko:

No offense or anything.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2010, 08:59 PM
As of now, I'm going to keep it just because I hear that it's a bitch to actually delete it.

Once they get you on broken, never to be fixed because "they've got money hanging out the anus" * and don't really need to or sold it so its not their problem anymore, they got you for life!

50 things to go through quantified for privacy of any kind, which can just be passed through dopey friends who don't put their stuff on private to get to your stuff.

Telling my project group people to just call or e-mail me when they tell me to get a Facebook, old snail world e-mail is seemingly more personal (one on one really) than out and about updates, or being lost in a maze of next picture - comment - next picture - 100 pictures of the same party. Nobody cares, yo.

And that fiasco of private chat rooms not private is much olo @ you's, AOL chatrooming all over again? Then the creators put it on the user end to opt out of everything that's opt in on default, not much help if things leak.

But, I got a good domain name for a social network site that isn't up when you type it in, so I hope hasn't been bought and is just being squatted with nothing on its url yet.

-

* Ma$e legendary line of worst lyric ever in hip-hop or probably any genre. And he has more I can remember, "Things you save for I probably give away!" But he's supposedly a preacher now, not Buddhist give all his things away, but possibly better than insane anus money storing.

SStrikerR
May 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm lucky, while some people in my family have facebooks, only my sister and myself get on regularly. She deleted me as a friend a while back anyway, which I found kind of amusing. I told my mom right off the bat that I wouldn't be friends with her, and she doesn't mind. The only other two people with facebooks are my cousin and uncle, and they never get on as far as I know. Facebook's not that bad. However, if I was in your situation, I'd probably flip out. Delete them as friends, block them from finding your profile, and tell your mom to tell your family that you deleted your facebook.

Leviathan
May 20, 2010, 10:15 PM
Also, facebook creeping gets on my nerves. ie. parents asking what this and that means 5000x a day.

This.

And now everyone in my family is on my limited profile.

AC9breaker
May 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Not only is this an amusing rant, it's an educational rant.

Vanzazikon
Jun 2, 2010, 04:57 PM
Some crazy French guy keeps harassing me on Facebook, what should I do? D:

Leviathan
Jun 2, 2010, 11:16 PM

Sounds hot, better friend him asap.

He my be your petit chou-fleur!

AC9breaker
Jun 5, 2010, 09:45 AM

Tell him he has horrible taste in whine. That ought to show him.

xBladeM6x
Jun 5, 2010, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

Powder Keg
Jun 5, 2010, 11:57 AM
I never post anything personal on facebook at all. People all of the time on my friend list either have the fml attitude or just post some kind of trashtalking drama and quickly end up hidden if it's all they post. I use it strictly for humor and catching up with some friends, really.

BIG OLAF
Jun 5, 2010, 03:08 PM
I use it strictly for humor and catching up with some friends, really.

Same. Also, I have some friends that post 95% "my life sucks" statuses. If it becomes too much for me to handle, I follow my steps:

1. Send them a message, ask what's wrong, and try to help. If that doesn't work:

2. RAGE at them (politely) and tell them that no one on Facebook gives a shit (politely). If that doesn't work:

3. I hide them (or just take them off my friends list, depending on how good our chat for #2 went).

Rust
Jun 6, 2010, 08:23 AM
Tell him he has horrible taste in whine. That ought to show him.

I don't like whine.

Volcompat321
Jun 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
I like wine, sometimes.

Weeaboolits
Jun 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
My mom recently got into it, but she just plays Cafe World all the time.

I don't toy around much with it though, I just keep it around for keeping in contact with people, mostly.

pikachief
Jun 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
My dad could care less, my Mom has one but she doesn't know how to use it, and my brother never msgs me or bothers me on it once so ever.

Pretty much my whole family has one but no one ever bugs me on it so i forget they're there lol :)

Anything i post personal i always do on twitter anyways since i have like 8 followers on it lol just good friends :)

AC9breaker
Jun 7, 2010, 07:31 PM
I don't like whine.

the clouds and the bushes are the same.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
Tell em 99% of French people are terrible at all games and resort to the cheathax, whether PSO or Street Fighter or whatever.

& Thrice as bad at the guys the game devs threw them a bone to try to get them involved, like Abel. Clearly Abel is not a typical weak French fighter. Amnesiac, ended up awakening in France land, probably not a native.

-
Again to:

OP

Show em you're a youngin who knows more about the Internet and proceed to the next big hit before it is one. Or standard forum/meetup dot coms/online hangouts with your pals the familia will never find.

Facebook is like the "casual" Wii place of the Internet social web, without the 2.0 and the No More Heroes/Killer7 Suda 51 hallway to last boss punk:tech beats. Basically, not :cool: and soon to be outdated old school.

Valencia Superbia
Jun 8, 2010, 06:38 AM
This is why I don't get a facebook. It is also why I don't mention anything I do or say on the internet to my family. Relatives are great and all, but most in general don't mind own their business. -_-

Oatmeal
Jun 8, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have a strict policy that no family members are my Facebook friends except my brother. He has the same policy. Works real nice and I don't feel guilty ignoring the very occasional family friend request.

I also try to only add people that I actually talk to regularly or want to keep in touch with.

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hey, yo, while we're talking about Facebook, does anyone care to share theirs with PSO-World?

If you want to know mine, just ask... not like I'm interesting or anything, but whatever. :p

:wacko:

Also, I don't know about any of yous, but I don't care if anyone from here knows my first and last name. It's just a name after all.
Plus I like people. :p

Rust
Jun 14, 2010, 08:59 AM
I won't give mine because then people will start complaining I'm harassing them. :disapprove:

NegaTsukasa
Jun 21, 2010, 03:02 AM
my only issue with family is being careful with what I comment on or vent about. I remember commenting on a friends drawing, but the other friend of my friend had a mouth about the drawing saying it was "F'n
amazing" or something like that, and my dad, and his friends all got a glimpse of that because it posts other friends statuses and comments in a chain if you comment. aaaaand it took a while to sort things out.

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 08:42 AM
I had both a myspace and facebook, then I deleted them. Myspace is full of ads, is slow, and there's waaaaaaaay to much momma-drama and people whoring out on there. And facebook was okay, except that all my high school friends were on my profile... well, I expected some of them would actually talk to me. They didn't. They don't care, didn't try to ask what I'm up to, etc. So, instead of pretending like I have friends and people that care about what's going on in my life... I deleted that crap. My family calls me. One friend calls me. So how many friends do I have? One. Cause it's useless to pretend other wise. If they can't put forth the effort to talk to you, get your information, or even reply to you, then screw 'em. No use pretending. And people think, "Oh, everyone has facebook and myspace." Well, no. It's kind of pathetic when you can't write down someone's information down, and assume, "Oh, I can go ask them on facebook/myspace for their informaion". Pssh.

But I'm a total hypocrite since I got a boyfriend off of PSU. But hey, the only reason he made a myspace was so he could perv on my pictures. Shows you exactly what myspace is for :D Myspace is so you can lead your little internet life out. Facebook is so you can talk to the family you see once a decade at the reunion, and talk to those high school friends that really, never liked ya.

SO. There's my rant XD Call me bitter, but I'm so much happier that I don't have those things anymore.

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2010, 04:21 PM
I don't see how you can be happier without those things, unless they actually did play a big part in your life. :wacko:

I just check it every coupe days, then move on.

I even found my godfather on Facebook, and haven't talked to him since I was like 12, so it was great catching up!
I have my dad, and brother and sisters on there. (The brother and 1 sister are step siblings, so I haven't seen them in about 9 years, due to their mom being a cunt).

So it's definitely nice catching up with them! They were little kids when I last saw them, and now they're almost adults!

There's other pros for a facebook, like catching up with old friends, and keeping in touch with em.
You have to put forth the effort to talk to people these days, so don't get bitter if they don't say hi to you, or message you back right away.
Recently, I requested a friend from high school. I was in high school 2002-2006, so it's been a while. I found her there, we used to be great friends, and I say hi every now and then, and she just says hi back. Short replies.

Hey, at least we're talking a little. It's nice sometimes, just to have someone to talk to, even if it's only a few short words.

There's others on there that do have full conversations, and it's awesome.

I even put up my phone number on there so my "friends" can get a hold of me.
Though you have to be my friend to see it on there.

Rust
Jun 24, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'd pretty much pissed if all my FB friends were to drop a message asking me how I am doing or what I'm up to every damn single day.

I find it a good thing they only "like" pics I upload in my trollpics folder on there or comment videos/images I share once in a while. :wacko:

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
You have to put forth the effort to talk to people these days, so don't get bitter if they don't say hi to you, or message you back right away.

See, I don't think it's that much effort to ask for my information and write it down, and not rely on the internet to keep it for them. But, I'm talking about me having already sent messages out, waited, and being completely ignored. But hey, I'm the kind of person who likes to know who my true friends are, and if they aren't interested in getting my number, then ya know... I guess I must be high-maintenence, but I really don't want to rely on websites to be able to stay in contact with friends. With best friends you always have their number and their address and all that. Why make excuses for them? But I CAN see the pro in getting with people you know the names of but not being able to contact any other way. Most people can deal with the social networking websites. I just, personally, can't. MRAH. Sorry for the rant. :argh:

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2010, 10:49 PM
Well, there's a huge differences between best friends, friends, and acquaintances.

You should never have to rely on social networking sites to keep in touch with a best friend, or even friend. But for your acquaintances, or people who were once friends. (maybe you lost contact with them, just stopped talking to them for other reasons).

If you need social networking to keep in touch with your true friends, then you need to get some new "friends".
(NOT you personally, but "you" in general)

joefro
Jun 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Well, there's a huge differences between best friends, friends, and acquaintances.

You should never have to rely on social networking sites to keep in touch with a best friend, or even friend. But for your acquaintances, or people who were once friends. (maybe you lost contact with them, just stopped talking to them for other reasons).

If you need social networking to keep in touch with your true friends, then you need to get some new "friends".
(NOT you personally, but "you" in general)

Well said. The only time I talk to my best friends on facebook is when they are out of country/on vacation and facebook is free and international cell phone bills are outrageous. That being said, I hate it when old high school friends and people I only met once try to talk to me on facebook. I'm not an ass to them or anything but I really hate when people try to drag on a conversation forever. "Hey" "Hey" "what's up" "Not much you" "Nothing" "cool" = boring

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Haha, I'm guilty of that for about 4 messages.
I ask how's life, then say oh, cool..... then carry on with what I'm gonna say.

If you ask me, saying, "Oh, cool." and that's it, is a sign of, yea, you're not interesting. :p

So after that I stop responding to anyone.

I like to have the Facebook to talk to PSU people too.
I have a few friends now from here/PSU forums, and I talk to them all the time.
Though, if they're good enough friends, we exchange phone numbers, and I say lets text, cause I hate sitting at my computer for a long time anymore.

Text messaging is sooo much easier than chatting it up on a website.

Speaking of, I'm making a new thread in Site Related. Doubt it will have any success, but check it out, Joe!

Rust
Jun 25, 2010, 06:27 AM
Text messaging is sooo much easier than chatting it up on a website.

Speak for yourself. I always found texting on a phone way more tedious than typing anything on a keyboard. It takes me forever to write a single sentence on a text message where I could write a damn whole paragraph on a computer, especially if I want my message to be written and punctuated correctly. Not to add I'm rather wall-of-text happy, since I tend to digress a lot in my messages, which is totally not compatible with texting (infinite scrolling fuckyeah!).

Volcompat321
Jun 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
Speak for yourself. I always found texting on a phone way more tedious than typing anything on a keyboard. It takes me forever to write a single sentence on a text message where I could write a damn whole paragraph on a computer, especially if I want my message to be written and punctuated correctly. Not to add I'm rather wall-of-text happy, since I tend to digress a lot in my messages, which is totally not compatible with texting (infinite scrolling fuckyeah!).

C'mon man, get with the times!
There's phone apps on some phones that allows you to talk the message you want, punctuates it, and correctly spaces the words and all that.

Or, if you don't have a phone that can do that, get a full qwerty keyboard phone.
Even with a non qwerty keyboard, I can text pretty fast, and I always punctuate, use proper grammar, and spell words correctly when texting.

Though I know how you mean, if you don't text as often as someone like myself, it can be a pain.
(I go about 12,000 texts a month, or so, on average).

amtalx
Jun 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
My keyboard karate is far better than anything I've seen on a cell phone. I don't know too many people that can get to 100+ WPM on a phone.

Volcompat321
Jun 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
My keyboard karate is far better than anything I've seen on a cell phone. I don't know too many people that can get to 100+ WPM on a phone.

I'm sure I could. Hahaha.
Though I've never actually counted.... or uh, had it timed.

My old phone, before my fancy phone, couldn't keep up when I was texting.
I'd write some words, and 2-5 seconds later it would show up.

I'm sure there's an app for that, so let me check.

EDIT: There is an app! I'm downloading it now!

It was a weird game thing, said I was at 73 words per minute. 1 word every .78 seconds. (had 180 or so completed words)
But, I'll get better as I learn the app! :p

Rust
Jun 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
C'mon man, get with the times!
There's phone apps on some phones that allows you to talk the message you want, punctuates it, and correctly spaces the words and all that.

Or, if you don't have a phone that can do that, get a full qwerty keyboard phone.
Even with a non qwerty keyboard, I can text pretty fast, and I always punctuate, use proper grammar, and spell words correctly when texting.

Though I know how you mean, if you don't text as often as someone like myself, it can be a pain.
(I go about 12,000 texts a month, or so, on average).

I don't even have an unlimited texting and calling deal. Only one hour a month of calls and maybe 20 or 30 text messages, and I never use them up and get carried over the next month.
I don't need more when I have unlimited internet already and most of my friends are either on the same IRC channels or use the same Mumble server. I only use my phone for administrative/professional stuff or when I need to find someone I was going to meet at some place.

Now, why would I get with the times when it's obviously the times that can't keep up with me?

Volcompat321
Jun 26, 2010, 03:24 AM
Well said, but seriously, get with the times. :p
/ :wacko:

fighgunners
Jul 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
Status Pages are for the interwebbing and approval of breeding of stupidity,this crap really has to stop putting real inventions like the phone to waste from letting others know that you exist in the world and actually venture into it from time to time, this only making the technology apocalypse that much easier.