PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Worth Getting a Playstation Portable for this?

Seth Astra
May 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
The title says it all. I am a big fan of PSZ, and I'd like your oppinion on this. Also, I'd like to have any other game recommendations for the PSP. Thanks.

GUARDIANDNL
May 20, 2010, 11:56 PM
yes, XD

(i know you asking me before, but again, its worth it)

kongajinken
May 21, 2010, 03:17 AM
PSP2>PSZ not even a comparison. When I put PSP2 and started playing it I questioned how I even could even put 100 hours into PSZ.

Dragwind
May 21, 2010, 05:30 AM
If you liked PSZ, you'll probably have loads more fun with PSP2.

darkante
May 21, 2010, 07:04 AM
PSZ has its charm, but really it leaves much to desire in terms of content and variation.

PSP is good, but its too easy and kinda loses its drive to hunt for items when things dies too quickly.

Now PSP2 is just right, challenging and and have alot of new content to go for.
At least as far i have got into it. (In the 90+)
Also, no grinding in Photon art this time around since you have to search for them and you can mix and match weapon types pretty much however you want unlike the original PSP giving it some more spice to the battles.

Plus for the ability to guard and evade roll. ^^

Seth Astra
May 21, 2010, 07:21 AM
Okay, that settles it. I'll be getting a PSP for this game. If it's so much better than PSZ, I can imagine putting several hundred hours in, just with my main. I'll see you guys... Whenever Sega releases PSP2 over here.

Typestatic
May 21, 2010, 07:54 AM
I love it so much that I blog about it OTL

Other mentionable PSP games would be God Eater (TBA for US/EU), Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker (June), the Monster Hunter Franchise and Pangya Fantasy Golf if that tickles your fancy.

pso_crash
May 21, 2010, 09:54 AM
I bought a used psp in anticipation of PS:P2. Now, if sega would just announce it for a us release...

Mike
May 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
If it's so much better than PSZ, I can imagine putting several hundred hours in, just with my main.

Currently at 600+ hours on my main and counting. :p

Seira7
May 21, 2010, 10:11 AM
I love my PSP! For some reason (larger screen I guess) I find it way more comfortable playing on than the DS. I would go with a model that can play UMDs if you want to play imports. Plus used PSP UMDs are quite cheap, I got PSP2 for about $25 on ebay =) most older psp games can be bought for a song.

I would recommend:
Project Diva - its pricey since its an import but it is so much fun and there are tons of unlockables.
Tales of The World - Radiant Mythology
Monster Hunter of course
DJ Max Portable
Valkyrie Profile
Wipeout Pure
Jeanne d'arc
PopoloCrois

Neith
May 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
You might wanna hold off on buying the JP version...
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/21/phantasy-star-portable-2-for-psp-announced/

No telling if it'll be cut down in anyway, but at least we have a timeframe now.

Seth Astra
May 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
@Mike: Nice.

@Neith: Yeah, I didn't plan on importing anway. Nothing against importing, but I don't feel like it's worth it to buy a game that I can't even read, then buy it again just to start over, only this time in a language that I read. Perhaps I should learn Japanese.

AzureBlaze
May 22, 2010, 02:06 AM
I bought a PSP just for this game.
I actually bought it a while back, when the frenzy on these boards was all talking about how great it was, and how it was so better than console psu. While waiting on it to come, I got psu 1 psp for it, and it seems good so far. It was on sale like 19.99 or something on the last GameStop price war thing they posted on here.

If news didn't appear shortly, I was strongly considering importing.
Yeah, you couldn't read story and would have to memorize lots of stuff b/c can't read but you can still have the interactive exp w/other people and do the online content missions. With what I'd heard they were fun enough that you could deal without story. (I mean wow, that whole side scrolling beat 'em up miss they have?? Battle mode? Challenge? It's LOADED!)

The make or break bit of this hasn't been said yet:
The game is ultra reliant on added content to keep it fun. The coolest stuff appears to be the events and the new downloadable missions/added weps/costumes etc. (not the gimmicky costumes/copyright crazyness) the real content. PS0 didn't have any of it, so it's not as wildly popular, and you don't see people putting nearly the hours into it. If they strip the whole game down to nothing and totally ignore any added content/online aspect other than making online 'work', then it'll fail over here. They did it for the first one, it never had anything.

So yes the game has been announced for here, but the WHOLE game has not yet been announced. However, with Sega's new "We want to focus on online!" line the possibility is looking much better for them not stripping it to nothing, if they actually want to make good on what they're saying their focus is.

Izuna
May 23, 2010, 02:07 PM
If you don't care about the story and online-play you may as well get the JPN version.

Seth Astra
May 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, I do plan on doing online, a lot. That's what gets me to pick up PSZ these days, everthing's better in a team.

Izuna
May 23, 2010, 02:13 PM
Actually, I do plan on doing online, a lot. That's what gets me to pick up PSZ these days, everthing's better in a team.

The JPN community (especially if you don't speak Japanese) won't give you a pleasant experience.

Seth Astra
May 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
I would expect the JP online play to go really bad if you don't speek Japanese.

Koiwai_Keiji
May 23, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've had a different experience with playing on Japanese teams. I have a shortcut that essentially says 'I understand little Japanese, I'm from ____.' and it works out just fine. So long as you know the mission and don't fail the entire team, why would they care? You're still helping to finish a mission, and they don't stop that often to converse.

Just as in any region, there will be people under leveled yet ambitious enough to attempt missions beyond what they can normally complete alone and will appreciate any help you can give. The maximum attack cross was great fun, its amazing to see super versions of nearly 'end game' level creatures.

kirtblue
May 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
im hoping to upgrade to a psp3000 just for this game

Drawers
May 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
Why would you NOT get a PSP for this game? Come on, download content, online portable social networking, character customization is at an all time high over all the other PS games?! Fully online community and its portable? Imo this type of game is so long overdue but its a steal! The portable part is what I love the most about it. I mean the only real downfall imo is the altering of PSU's good music and nothing done to the bad music (ugh!! at the Parum fields music), also no more trading of decent items and no more player shops but eh. :/

Seth Astra
May 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
Man, when I create a topic I expect to last shortly, it prospers, when I make a topic that I expect to... Live, it's DOA. So yeah, I'll probably be getting the PSP for this. Any recommendations on accessories, etc. Oh, and on a different thread not relating to PSP2, someone seemed to imply that you need a PS3 to go online with a PSP, is this true?

GUARDIANDNL
May 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
if you want accesories might you buy the psp 3000, it has more accesories and are easiest to find than the pspgo.

and you donīt need a ps3 to connect online, just create and account on psn ( us or jpn, it depends of wants version you get) through your future psp or with your pc.

if you get the game it would be cool to play with you

FOmarRashidi
May 24, 2010, 11:49 PM
im hoping to upgrade to a psp3000 just for this game

Me too.

Seth Astra
May 25, 2010, 08:11 AM
Okay, there appear to be multiple types of PSPs. Clarification on them, please?

Koiwai_Keiji
May 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
PSP Go - The latest and smallest version of the PSP, it has a 16 GB internal memory and no UMD drive. All games have to be saved on to the system and purchased via PSN.

PSP 3000 (aka brite) - The most recent version of the PSP slim. It is brighter (?) than the previous versions but otherwise identical.

PSP 2000 (aka slim) - The original PSP slim that replaced the old psp. It is lighter and brighter than the original PSP.

PSP 1000 - The heaviest and first incarnation of the PSP.

Your decision will really just be between the PSP Go and the PSP Slim/Brite. In fact, they don't sell Slim versions anymore, just the Brite unless you get it used. Do you want physical media for your games (UMD) or just download version (PSN version)?

Toboe
May 25, 2010, 09:26 AM
I have a question... If a PSP Go has no UMD drive, what do you do with the UMDs you already have?

Neith
May 25, 2010, 09:31 AM
I have a question... If a PSP Go has no UMD drive, what do you do with the UMDs you already have?

Get rid of them or keep a UMD PSP around to play them. That's all you can do really. If you wanted to play those games on a PSP Go you'd have to buy them again. It's the main reason I refuse to buy one.

Toboe
May 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
Get rid of them or keep a UMD PSP around to play them. That's all you can do really. If you wanted to play those games on a PSP Go you'd have to buy them again. It's the main reason I refuse to buy one.

Well ain't that a big barrel of dumb, and it looked so cool. >< Anyways, more on topic: The PSP 1000(which is what I have) is basically the first little waffle you bake in the waffle iron. Just there to clean your iron, you toss it out. Just like the waffle, the 1000 was to set up for the bigger and badder PSPs to come out later. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSP and it works epicly.
The PSP 2000 was the main course, got beefed up, got that cool(though somewhat useless?) Skype app. A better screen(I think?) the body was smaller, and that's about it.

That there PSP 3000 is the cream of the crop, the big daddy of the PSPs. Well, I guess it's the second youngest and second most evolved really. It's got a better screen(I hear), it's even smaller, I think. And I believe it has more RAM than the last two. I also here it has lines on the screen that drive everyone mad. Though I can't say for sure if that really is something noticeable. My PSP 1000 has lines and I don't even see them.

Now, that PSP Go? That was Sony's 'Buy this and make your friends jealous!' product. It's even smaller, slides open like an awesome spy gadget, you can even pretend your batman while you play it! And apparently has no UMD drive(Which makes to sense to me) Has a Built in Microphone(The DSs had this. All of them.) And I think it still likes it's own personal Ad-Hoc Party app.

In short: It doesn't really matter which you get, it just depends on how big and bad you want it to be. As long as it plays games, and they all do(That PSP Go's a spawn of blasphemy, though >> No UMD, the horror!) I'd go for a PSP 2000 if at all possible. Cheaper, and you can buy games used for less than retail price. And Retail prices go down. The ones online... do not to my knowledge. And you can still download on a PSP 1000-3000 really. You just need an all powerful ~MEMORY CARD~ A 3000 if you can't get or don't want a PSP 2k. Just my two cents.

xBladeM6x
May 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yes. I cant even begin to explain. If you think you love PSZ, you'll probably love PSP2. As far as other titles go, no PSP owner can go without Dissidia: Final Fantasy. At least imo. >.>

Fhin
May 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
I can. :-P
(even if the name Final Fantasy is printed on the game....I just don't like Beat'em'ups that much)

Imo, I would get a PSP 3k or a new 2k (if you can get one....used ones are not worth the money.) for PSPo2.
I still own a 2k....I dropped my 3k a while ago and it broke but for PSPo2 I'll def. buy a new 3k since my 2k is actually kinda "overused". ^^;

xBladeM6x
May 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
I can. :-P
(even if the name Final Fantasy is printed on the game....I just don't like Beat'em'ups that much)
Shush you! Blasphemy! ^^;

Anyways, get the 3k. It's awesome. :3

kongajinken
May 25, 2010, 01:18 PM
I was a fan of final fantasy dissidia right away because it was kinda like an rpg ,but it lost some luster later on when the round could be decided in under 20 secs when all you had to do was break your opponents bravery which would instantly give you about 3k bravery then just use a summoning to boost it by 100% then have your opponent use their summon to copy your bravery so they're walking around with 6000 bravery so the first person to land a finisher is the winner. Even if you were seriously leveled the chances of you surviving more then one attack was slim.

kirtblue
May 26, 2010, 11:14 PM
Anyways, get the 3k. It's awesome. :3

oh did you get one is it worth it to trade up or is it just slightly better i only ask because ive been looking into one but money is tight so would be good to get a first handed opinion