PDA

View Full Version : voice alignment

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 21, 2010, 06:23 AM
Does anyone else notice when games voices are well aligned with how the characters mouth is moving, i do and i can say that probably the best alignment ive ever seen would be in Oblivion and Fragile Dreams, what games do yo think have good voice alignment?

Outrider
May 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think you're actually talking about lip-syncing and facial animation.

Which is all done much better these days. Go back to some early PS2/GCN/Xbox games and you can see hilariously bad examples. (Metal Gear Solid 2 is one game I'm thinking of - it's gorgeous, but the way the mouths move is just terrifying.)

amtalx
May 21, 2010, 11:05 AM
Despite it's age Heavenly Sword has some really impressive facial animation. Too bad the game was pretty lame.

joefro
May 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
I can't really think of any games that have good voice synching. Heavy Rain had some decent facial animations but the voice synching was some of the worst that I've ever seen. I haven't played them in a while but I seem to remember Mass Effect/2 having decent voice synching.

McLaughlin
May 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
FFXIII's lip syncing was pretty good. I think it's the first Final Fantasy that's actually tweaked the cutscenes to match up with the words instead of trying to write dialogue to match the existing movements.

Rubius-sama
May 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Does anyone else notice when games voices are well aligned with how the characters mouth is moving, i do and i can say that probably the best alignment ive ever seen would be in Oblivion and Fragile Dreams, what games do yo think have good voice alignment?

Yes, I do... and Oblivion immediately came to mind. Mass Effect has great lip syncing too. On the Dragon Armor helmet (which covers the face), they've even added speech indicators which light up when your character speaks.

Some bad ones would be the early Rainbow Six games for PS2/Xbox. Just watch the "chocolate milk kid" video to see what I mean. Of course it can't sync to speech through the mic, but it still looks funny.

Leviathan
May 21, 2010, 04:04 PM
hilariously bad examples.

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 come to mind.

May 21, 2010, 04:23 PM
I was just gonna post that.

Outrider
May 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 come to mind.

I have to admit that I kind of love the weird rapidly-stretching circle that is Sonic's mouth in the first Sonic Adventure.

The Last Baron
May 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
Mass Effect 2.

I'll let you decide.