PDA

View Full Version : Game E3 2010

joefro
Jun 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
E3 is coming in less than a week. Let's make some predictions on what will be announced at the show.

I'll start:
Nintendo:
3DS unveiling - Fall 2010 launch
New Zelda Wii unveiling - Fall 2010 launch
Pikmin 3!
Vitality sensor unveiling

Sony:
PS4, seriously
-Fall 2011
-3D, Move compatible

Microsoft:
Natal officially called Xbox Wave - stupid but if you look at the new 360 box art and all the Natal promos, they all feature a green wave
Halo Wars 2 announced 2011
Zune Music on 360 (pretty please, MS?)
Xbox price drop

All:
At least a new IP from each company

Wishful thinking:
Nintendo:
New home console with good cpu/gpu, the Wii can't compete with the PS3/360 motion controls. I'm not talking about for casual gamers, I'm talking about for core gamers. Nintendo can't hide behind motion controls any longer.

Sony:
A free PSN that can match the quality of Xbox LIVE. I love my PS3 but I'm tired of having to reconfigure my router setting for each game I play and for every different friend I play with.

Microsoft:
No ads on 360 dashboard.

What are everyone else's predictions? This could be an interesting thread, but please, let's keep this a freindly place. No need to bash anyone else's ideas. This is just for fun.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 7, 2010, 07:04 PM
Microsoft:

Zune Music on 360 (pretty please, MS?)

They kinda downplay their little iPOD alternate, but really now, people would definitely buy songs for a few bucks/micropoints if they're already buying trivial things that should be free anyway like avatars and wallpaper themes.

Zune music store on Xbox Marketplace, a big wonder why its not there yet after they have tried the last.fm/twitter/facebook/video-movies on demand/Netflix/etc.

AC9breaker
Jun 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Nintendo gonna suck. Microsoft is gonna copy something from sony or Nintendo or maybe even from Onlive and Sony is gonna make you cum buckets and cry from joy and awe.

tr3y 4 lyfe

AC9breaker
Jun 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
Also I just wanna touch on the Zune. As a recent owner of one I'm totally fucking loving it and the zune marketplace as well as the aesthetics of the Zune program. Much more refined then itunes imho.

Zeek123
Jun 7, 2010, 08:07 PM
PSP 2 is always a possibility.

I want new IP personally

amtalx
Jun 7, 2010, 08:48 PM
Microsoft is clearly going to be Natal focused. However, I suspect that they will have at least one or two new major IPs. It's likely they will poach one more of Sony's remaining exclusives, or at least have a major feature of a cross-platform title as if it's their own. The 360 Slim is a significant possibility. Overall, I don't expect their press conference to drop the hammer like it did last year. Fable III, GoW III, and Reach will make appearances, but they don't have much left in terms of established IP.

Sony will focus on sequels and a couple new IPs while attempting to turn around the negative perception of Move. I'm expecting a major revelation that no one has seen coming... Sony played a lot of their cards early by revealing Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 already. They need new IP and a major unannounced sequel (Uncharted 3) to maintain any sort of interest. If their mystery surprise is as big as it needs to be, they may well win the press conference battle. The only way this could happen would be with a PSP2 or if The Agency is as cool as they want it to be.

Nintendo will spill the beans on a couple of their major first party titles, probably Zelda and a new Mario game for DS that will outsell food. They will continue to realize that that hardcore audience has all but abandoned them, and stop trying to convince everyone otherwise. The 3DS should have a significant role, maybe even enough for them to steal the show since neither Sony nor MS will have major hardware iterations.

Overall, I'm not expecting huge things this year. MS needs to convince people that their aging hardware is still viable for a few years, and that Natal isn't a gimmick. Sony is just getting to the point where the PS3 isn't hemorrhaging money so badly it's sinking the entire company (in other news, I will actually be going to Sony's press conference). We already know Move is a gimmick, so that plan is out the window. Nintendo has the best position walking in, but their presentations are normally pretty boring and sparse on the "wow" factor. Of the projects that are currently known, Vanquish is the one I'm most excited about. In case you don't know that that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkr4YqZAME

The first line of dialog is hilarious. It's by the same guys that did Bayonetta, and will most likely do the same for the 3rd person Gears of War type genre that Bayonetta did for action fighting games.

joefro
Jun 7, 2010, 08:55 PM
What, you don't think Cammie is interesting? :wacko:[spoiler-box]http://www.ctam.com/html/summit/2008/photos/CATM_11-12-08_3804.jpg[/spoiler-box]
I'd love to be able to go to any E3 press conference. If only E3 weren't so far away.

amtalx
Jun 7, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'd love to be able to go to any E3 press conference. If only E3 weren't so far away.

Far away you say? I'm flying out from Maryland. :p

There is one thing Nintendo has over someone else though. They don't ramble off boring-as-fuck sales figures for the first 45 minutes of their presentation. I'm looking at you Tretton. If Kevin Butler doesn't make an appearance at Sony's conference, bitches gon' die.

Zeek123
Jun 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
If Kevin Butler doesn't make an appearance at Sony's conference, bitches gon' die.

I really hope Sony drops him in the conference. VP KB might be one of the best things Sony's ever done.

Pballer42
Jun 7, 2010, 09:27 PM
I cant wait to see Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Star Wars The Old Republic. Im just interested in what is gunna be shown on those titles. But any other good surprises are welcome too lol

Chukie sue
Jun 7, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm hoping Luminous Arc 3: Eyes is announced! I wouldnt be surprised if they did either!

If I were dreaming I'd say Megaman Battle Network 7, or BN collections. They hinted towards a MMx9. I've heard Capcoms planning BIG things.

Oh and I have a question: Is E3 open to the public? That might sound like a stupid question but I dont really know :/

Randomness
Jun 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
Was, went to media only, not sure now.

Waiting to see new announcements from Atlus, Nintendo, 3rd-parties.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
out of the things ive heard are confirmed to be there, all im really gonna care about is the new zelda game and the 3ds, but, on a wishlist note, i'm hoping for something in the kingdom hearts 3 department, and i don't mean stuff about birth by sleep

amtalx
Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 PM
Oh and I have a question: Is E3 open to the public? That might sound like a stupid question but I dont really know :/

Unfortunately no, E3 is not open to the general public. You can get in if you grease the wheels and network your ass off though. I leveraged some connections from my previous job even though I have no connection to media whatsoever.

If you are looking for general admission conventions, Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show are your best bet if you are up for traveling.

Leviathan
Jun 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
3DS and Wii since I think they will be a repeat of last year for Nintendo...

Sony will unveil something marvelous and I will cry wince I will not have the money for it.

I predict Pokemon Black and White information.

3DS will come out in white or silver, maybe both. No colors for now or at least until the holiday season.

joefro
Jun 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
How could I forget my biggest wish?
[spoiler-box]DEMON'S SOULS 2[/spoiler-box]
Make it happen, Sony. Simultaneous release for US/EU/JP.

Seth Astra
Jun 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
@Chukie Sue: I personally would prefer a MMZ5 to an X9. Simply because Zero is awesome. Also, I agree that we need to go back to BN. Star Force is a horrible mistake that should never have been made. Let's see, uncompelling characters, boring areas, almost no cool bosses (although Acid Ace was, admitidly, awesome), and a simplified battles system. Yeah, SF sucks.

On my own note, I am excited about more details on the new LOZ game, and any new hardware from Nintendo. If there is a new nintendo console, I hope it includes a CC. Why? This would eliminate the hurdle of having to addapt th controls to the Wii's controler, so games would only use it if they wanted to.

Also, I'm surprised no one's expressed interest an a possible unveiling of the supposed PSO 10th anaversery surprise.

Zeek123
Jun 8, 2010, 01:26 AM
Also, I'm surprised no one's expressed interest an a possible unveiling of the supposed PSO 10th anaversery surprise.

Why would that surprise you?

joefro
Jun 8, 2010, 01:59 AM
Why would that surprise you?

Cause it's PSOW, dood! :wacko:

In all seriousness, I think that no one has mentioned it yet because PSO's 10th anniversary isn't until the Fall. I'd expect a TGS announcement rather than an E3 announcement.

E3 = Summer - United States
TGS = Fall - Japan

McLaughlin
Jun 8, 2010, 04:28 AM
I hope/expect to see some new information on Golden Sun DS. Beyond that, I'm not holding my breath for Nintendo's conference.

Microsoft will I hope stick to last year's plan and avoid the sales statistics. Maybe some information on the next big Dashboard update, Reach stuff, Gears 3 stuff, some more snaking of Sony's exclusives. I dare to hope we see something from 343 Industries but the working part of my brain says not to expect anything from them until at least next year. No Halo Wars 2, as Ensemble shut down, FYI. We'll probably see a new SKU, whether it's a "slim" or something else. Maybe some Mass Effect 3 if we're uber lucky? Hopefully we'll see something we don't expect, like another Tales game or something. A chunk of the presentation will probably belong to Natal (which I doubt will be renamed).

Sony, no idea honestly. I suspect a fair portion of the show will be dedicated to Move, but beyond that I'm not quite sure what to expect. Sales statistics are likely, hopefully some Kingdom Hearts news, Killzone 3, maybe some Versus XIII in there.

EDIT: And yes, the Zune software craps all over iTunes.

EDIT 2: I also hope to see some news on Armored Core 5. As far as the 10th anniversary of PSO, I'm not holding my breath for it to be anything worthwhile, whenever they tell us what it is.

redroses
Jun 8, 2010, 04:38 AM
Of course I am excited about 3DS info, Legend of Zelda information and hopefully a Pikmin 3 surprise announcement. Also would like to know some more about Pokemon Black and White.

From Sony, I would really really love to see some more information from The Last Guardian.

I also heard some rumors Rare should be revealing a new game. I would be totally up for that.

And it would be cool if whoever, remembers about Beyond Good and Evil 2 and it shows up somewhere at the E3. That would be pretty nice.

Tetsaru
Jun 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Games I'm looking forward to:

Little Big Planet 2
Pokemon Black & White
new Zelda game
Metroid: Other M
Armored Core 5
Golden Sun DS
FF13 Versus
FF14
Marvel vs. Capcom 3

I'd like to say I'm interested in the Move and Natal, but I've generally come to hate motion controls on the Wii...

I'm also waiting to see what Sega's going to be doing there this year, for shits and giggles. As much as I'd love to see a new, WELL-MADE online console/PC Phantasy Star game, I expect much laughable fail and disappoint. :wacko:

joefro
Jun 8, 2010, 02:00 PM
I totally forgot about FFXIV also. I can't wait to play that game. Hopefully they start/announce the PS3 beta at E3 and hopefully I get in. :)

Tetsaru
Jun 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
I totally forgot about FFXIV also. I can't wait to play that game. Hopefully they start/announce the PS3 beta at E3 and hopefully I get in. :)

Me too! Here's hoping it has everything from FF11, but with less grinding, faster pacing, better class balancing, and more solo-friendly aspects. I liked FF11, but it was SOOOOOO SLOOOOOW trying to get anything done, and the combat kinda seemed like a chore (although I played mostly as a Paladin, so I was stuck tanking lol).

One of my lucky-ass friends who played FF11 pretty much ever since it came out got invited to the Alpha testing of FF14. He's sent me a lot of screenshots and stuff, but he says it's really buggy atm, and his character keeps getting deleted, but I guess that's to be expected at that point in development.

Volcompat321
Jun 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oh yea, Golden Sun 3!
I do want that.

What's this IP people mentioned?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 8, 2010, 03:49 PM
the new golden sun will probably be awesome, altho i never got anywhere on the first one and never started the sequel, my brother loved them

Outrider
Jun 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
So, I'm curious about Microsoft's conference. They're doing it over two days, with one dedicated to Natal and the other acting as a traditional media briefing. I guess the second day is going to be about their more traditional games?

Sony's going to be all about 3D gaming and Move. Thus, fairly boring, assuming you're watching it online.

Nintendo should show the new Zelda along with plenty of the 3DS. They're not going to show a successor to the Wii. Don't be stupid.

.I actually took the 15th off from work so I can watch the Sony and Nintendo press conferences at home. I don't usually do things like that, but I wound up watching Microsoft and Nintendo's while at my desk at work last year and I figure I might as well just take the day off instead of killing my productivity again.

What's this IP people mentioned?

Intellectual property.

It's what people say when they're talking about a new game series versus just another sequel or spin-off.

amtalx
Jun 8, 2010, 04:50 PM
So, I'm curious about Microsoft's conference. They're doing it over two days, with one dedicated to Natal and the other acting as a traditional media briefing. I guess the second day is going to be about their more traditional games?

I'm interested to see how they segment the two. Since Natal is essentially getting its own press conference, I hope the second conference doesn't make a big deal about it. I kind of wish I were going to Microsoft's conference.

Outrider
Jun 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm interested to see how they segment the two. Since Natal is essentially getting its own press conference, I hope the second conference doesn't make a big deal about it. I kind of wish I were going to Microsoft's conference.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping for as well.

I wish that they were showing Microsoft's presser on Tuesday so I could watch it at home instead of trying to grab info at work.

joefro
Jun 8, 2010, 05:24 PM

I agree that they should keep the Natal conference and the regular conference separate, but I'm sure Natal will make an appearance at both. The Natal conference is probably going to be mostly casual/shovelware, while the regular conference will have Fable III/core games with Natal functionality (hopefully an rts). I still think that it's weird that they have Cirque du Soleil performing at the Natal event, but I'm not going to complain about a free Cirque show on TV. :D

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping for as well.

I wish that they were showing Microsoft's presser on Tuesday so I could watch it at home instead of trying to grab info at work.

I think that Microsoft will stream it online, but I'm not sure. I do know that they aren't letting G4 film it this year.

Chukie sue
Jun 8, 2010, 05:25 PM
@Chukie Sue: I personally would prefer a MMZ5 to an X9. Simply because Zero is awesome. Also, I agree that we need to go back to BN. Star Force is a horrible mistake that should never have been made. Let's see, uncompelling characters, boring areas, almost no cool bosses (although Acid Ace was, admitidly, awesome), and a simplified battles system. Yeah, SF sucks.

On my own note, I am excited about more details on the new LOZ game, and any new hardware from Nintendo. If there is a new nintendo console, I hope it includes a CC. Why? This would eliminate the hurdle of having to addapt th controls to the Wii's controler, so games would only use it if they wanted to.

Well that's probably not going to happen unfortunately due to MMZ collections... Not to mention the spoiler at the end of MMZ 4 D: Definetly BN. Star Force does suck compared to it, but I didnt think it was -that- bad :p MMSF1 was kinda meh in terms of Pvp, MMSF3 was decent in JP, horrible in the USA. No, "licensing issues" was NOT the reason they didnt release NKG - I'll rant later. MMSF2's Pvp was amazing imo. ALOT of stratey involved with that. But yeah, compared to BN MMSF series sucks.

Zeek123
Jun 8, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sony's going to be all about 3D gaming and Move. Thus, fairly boring, assuming you're watching it online.

I'm kind of interested in what's in Sony's hand. They've gone and announced so many big titles right before E3. What the hell are they planning? Is it just going to be one huge Kevin Butler sketch? Because that'd be awesome too.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/33734/1199040-picture_5_super.png

joefro
Jun 8, 2010, 11:54 PM
I'm kind of interested in what's in Sony's hand. They've gone and announced so many big titles right before E3. What the hell are they planning? Is it just going to be one huge Kevin Butler sketch? Because that'd be awesome too.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/33734/1199040-picture_5_super.png

Sony is saving the entire press conference for Demon's Souls 2. :)

Kent
Jun 9, 2010, 12:06 AM
I'm really interested in seeing what they'll show for Natal - mostly because it's actually a new thing, rather than just a "me too" gesture. It's interesting really because it's something that isn't really based on what someone else has done first, kinda like the Wii was.

It'll be interesting if they manage to get things done with it that go beyond flailing wildly (and don't involve little boy simulators).

The 3DS is another major point of interest for me, mainly because Nintendo's handheld line actually still caters to people who are already gamers - they've well-established that the Wii is something intended to make people become gamers, and I guess they're supposed to graduate to the DS from there.

Sinue_v2
Jun 9, 2010, 01:07 AM
I'm really interested in seeing what they'll show for Natal - mostly because it's actually a new thing, rather than just a "me too" gesture. It's interesting really because it's something that isn't really based on what someone else has done first, kinda like the Wii was.

Games which use video input to track motion and allow hands-free interaction with the VE are nothing new though; for example, Sony's EyeToy and TotemBall from XBLA. They've always been rather gimicky outings however, and never really caught on. Natal appears to me to be a beefed out, functionally useful, and thoroughly groomed next-generation step up from previous offerings - likely due to the momentum which augmented reality has been gathering. AR is starting to invade the cellular realm, and I think this is MS's pre-emptive shot at trying to catch the wave before it hits... poised to offer users an expanded/integrated experience beyond what is possible currently with mobile processors.

(Though I've heard tales of mobile processors in the works which will be able to rival PS3 in graphics capacity that should be out in less than three years (http://gizmodo.com/5490330/you-will-have-the-power-of-a-ps3-in-your-pocket-in-3-years). Snapdragon's latest QSD8672 processors are already running with dual core 1.5Ghz, and should be released later this year.)

But... I guess that could be said of all technologies, even the Wii. It was nothing new... but it was the first to make it work well and break it into the mainstream.

McLaughlin
Jun 9, 2010, 04:09 AM
As far as FFXIV, I got in to the Alpha testing. Looks shiny, but I can't really comment on the battle system because it's apparently a placeholder and being completely revamped for the Beta launch, whenever that will be. What's there now is fairly similar to an XI/XIII hybrid, without the auto-battle. You change classes just by changing weapons.

I'm not entirely sold on it yet but I haven't written it off.

Oh, and there's voice acting in the cutscenes.

EDIT: Does anyone know of any sites that will host the shows for viewing afterward? I'm on day shift next week and can't get out of it.

joefro
Jun 9, 2010, 04:56 AM
I'm guessing that G4 (http://g4tv.com/articles/69659/E3-2010--Video-Game-Convention--Gaming-News-Previews-Press-Conferences-Trailers-Demos/) will have the conferences online shortly after they air on TV. After reading that link, I guess that Microsoft will be showing on G4. I guess this was a last minute change, and a great change at that. Just last week or so, I was watching "Feedback" on G4tv.com and they said that they would only be showing the Sony and the Nintendo conference.

Now I'm looking at Xbox.com (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/e3/0513-mtvpartnership.htm) and it says:

SPIKE TV, home to the SPIKE Video Game Awards, the biggest night of the year for the gaming industry, will be the exclusive broadcast home for the Xbox 360 E3 Media Briefing. Set to air live and commercial-free in high-definition on Monday, June 14, at 1:30 P.M. ET
Hmm. That's weird. I really don't know who to believe. Maybe, G4 will be a stream of someone sitting in the audience with a camera? /crazy

If the conferences aren't available in their entirety online, I'm sure that they'll be on YouTube in shorter clips.

Mike
Jun 9, 2010, 04:57 AM
I went in to the TV department of an electronics store and checked out a few of the 3D tvs they had on display and got motion sick. It's never happened at the few 3D movies I've seen but it happened with the tv so unless the 3DS has something going for it other than motion-sickness inducing 3D, I'm not interested.

I have heard rumors of a PSP2 at E3 though. That interests me. I also am interested in, or rather dreading, the subscription based PSN that Sony may announce as well.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
i dont really want tv to go 3d either, and im starting to doubt that 3ds 3d won't ruin the system, or be like the stylus and make the zelda games on it significantly less good

Rubius-sama
Jun 9, 2010, 08:52 AM
I like the Xbox Wave idea. What the fuck is a Natal and who came up with it? Sounds like a hazelnut chocolate spread.

Kent
Jun 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
Games which use video input to track motion and allow hands-free interaction with the VE are nothing new though; for example, Sony's EyeToy and TotemBall from XBLA.
...Which isn't quite (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch) what Natal does. There's a bit of a difference between just a camera and something that will not only work in the dark, but also quite accurately judge depth enough to have facial recognition, even in unlit conditions. On a technological and functional level, the device is actually quite different from things like the EyeToy - however, I'm really interested in seeing if developers can get creative enough with it to actually make it worthy of the distinction.

Kind of like we all hoped (or are still hoping) that people would find means to actually make the Wii's motion controls worth being used.

joefro
Jun 9, 2010, 04:08 PM
i dont really want tv to go 3d either, and im starting to doubt that 3ds 3d won't ruin the system, or be like the stylus and make the zelda games on it significantly less good

If Nintendo is smart, they'll ditch resistive screens and go with capacitive screens. This would allow you to use your fingers on the screens much easier than it is to use on the current DS screen. It would be so much more intuitive if you could move your finger for the joystick to the screen without having to pick up a stylus first.

Outrider
Jun 9, 2010, 04:14 PM
If Nintendo is smart, they'll ditch resistive screens and go with capacitive screens. This would allow you to use your fingers on the screens much easier than it is to use on the current DS screen. It would be so much more intuitive if you could move your finger for the joystick to the screen without having to pick up a stylus first.

Sorry, what? I don't think you used the best example of why they should switch their technology - the touch screen already picks up fingers in addition to the stylus.

Volcompat321
Jun 9, 2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry, what? I don't think you used the best example of why they should switch their technology - the touch screen already picks up fingers in addition to the stylus.

Not very well though.
I don't like it anyway.

Though the stylus is decent way to touch, I always end up losing it. :o

joefro
Jun 9, 2010, 04:34 PM
Capacitive handles finger input much, much better. You have to touch the screen really hard to make it work with your fingers for resistive screens. They could also use multitouch with a capacitive screen.

EDIT: This video offers a very good in-depth comparison between the two screen technologies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWWS_pD27AU&feature=related

Outrider
Jun 9, 2010, 04:54 PM
Capacitive handles finger input much, much better. You have to touch the screen really hard to make it work with your fingers for resistive screens. They could also use multitouch with a capacitive screen.

You have an interesting definition of "hard", as you really don't have to put much pressure on the screen to get it to register.

But my point was that saying "they need capacitive touch screens because you can't use your fingers" is a bad argument for it simply because it doesn't go into WHY they should do this, especially with the fact that you can indeed use your fingers.

amtalx
Jun 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
Protip: There are special styluses that work with capacitive screens, best of both worlds. :p I believe HTC owns the patent though. Here's hoping Nintendo either licenses the tech or comes up with their own implementation.

joefro
Jun 9, 2010, 05:21 PM
You have an interesting definition of "hard", as you really don't have to put much pressure on the screen to get it to register.

But my point was that saying "they need capacitive touch screens because you can't use your fingers" is a bad argument for it simply because it doesn't go into WHY they should do this, especially with the fact that you can indeed use your fingers.

I never said that you couldn't use your finger on the DS. My original post states:"This would allow you to use your fingers on the screens much easier than it is to use on the current DS screen." You can use your finger, it will just be harder than using the stylus.

I think that they should use capacitive because, capacitive is more accurate than resistive. Capacitive can actually track your finger and pinpoint where your fingertip was trying to touch, rather than tracking your entire finger. This would be great for gaming. Another great thing about capacitive is multitouch input. Multitouch could offer great ways of playing games on the 3DS. It would also be great for other apps on the 3DS, such as, browser, photos, etc. The biggest disadvantage of capacitive is that it requires a finger or a 5% moisture input, such as a sausage. Capacitive screen can also be flush with the rest of the device. The current DS screen is lowered a little bit so the resistive screen can work properly. If the screen were capacitive, it could be on the same level as the joystick/buttons. This would make it easier to go from the buttons to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv02XeCMQFs

Sinue_v2
Jun 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
...Which isn't quite what Natal does. There's a bit of a difference between just a camera and something that will not only work in the dark, but also quite accurately judge depth enough to have facial recognition, even in unlit conditions.

Read the rest of my post Kent.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 9, 2010, 07:29 PM
i dont see how natal could be any good, well for mini games yes, but for an fps or an adventure, if u have to walk to walk how will you get anywhere unless your playing in some endless room.

joefro
Jun 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
i dont see how natal could be any good, well for mini games yes, but for an fps or an adventure, if u have to walk to walk how will you get anywhere unless your playing in some endless room.

You can use Natal with the regular Xbox controller, I think. I'm not trying to defend it, but I think it could work.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
alright, that may be sensible, but i still don't think many people would want to swordfight or gunfight for very long when they actually have to do it.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 9, 2010, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah, because XBOX360: Earth Defense Force was probably a certified cult hit for that Simple 3000(2000?) crew, after bringing that over,

Zombies vs Ambulance (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3148308&p=) Sequel next please.

Zombie games are still in. Nobody has a premise like this one, and the market is ready for a ride.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
For anyone who cares, looks like there's an Infamous 2 already.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1096775p1.html

This will most likely make an appearance at Sony's Conference along with Killzone 3, LBP 2, and Gran Turismo 5.

SolarSamurai
Jun 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
What about Okamiden for the Ds? Or Gulden Sun 3/DS? Or pehaps Ninokuni:The Another World?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 12, 2010, 09:59 PM
wait, theres gonna be a golden sun 3ds game? i thot the new golden sun was still a ds game

joefro
Jun 12, 2010, 10:29 PM
Nintendo hasn't said anything since E3 last year, in regards to Golden Sun DS. I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a 3DS/DS hybrid game.

McLaughlin
Jun 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II cinematic trailer (http://kotaku.com/5561696/force-unleashed-iis-e3-trailer-is-not-fond-of-stormtroopers?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+(Kotaku)) is drool inducing.

amtalx
Jun 13, 2010, 01:34 AM
@Ruka: I only own one DS game...Okamiden will be my second. I could care less about Golden Sun though. For some reason I hated the first one.

A new Dead Space 2 trailer hit the internets today. Boner city.

joefro
Jun 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/500x_slim360.jpg
New Xbox 360 leaked? These things always get leaked right before the announcements.
http://kotaku.com/5562387/new-xbox-360-coming-project-natal-gets-renamed

EDIT: video up on Joystiq (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3558/)

str898mustang
Jun 13, 2010, 08:23 PM
For anyone who wants to stream E3 2010, Youtube will have a live stream

www.youtube.com/E3

also found this website that shows some live streaming links

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/13/watch-e3-2010-live-streaming-online-sony-microsoft-and-nintendo/

McLaughlin
Jun 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
If that's real I'm not sure I like the look. Black is always cool though (too bad it took Nintendo so goddamn long to release a black Wii). Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: And while built in WiFi would be convenient, I don't understand why every media outlet seems to be oblivious to the fact that you don't need the Microsoft brand adapter to get online wirelessly. Any adapter compatible with your router works.

Palle
Jun 13, 2010, 08:56 PM
The Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II cinematic trailer (http://kotaku.com/5561696/force-unleashed-iis-e3-trailer-is-not-fond-of-stormtroopers?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29) is drool inducing.
I won't be buying or playing the game, but that was a pretty damn good trailer.

A new Dead Space 2 trailer hit the internets today. Boner city.
Indeed.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
Woot! It's almost time for Microsoft's show to start. Can't wait to see what they will put on this year.

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
Just got my lunch and I've got the window open to stream this. I'm going to try and listen in and jump over for big announcements between working while I eat.

Super excited. VEGAS E3 BABY!

EDIT - Some thoughts:

Oh my God, Metal Gear Solid Rising might be the goriest game I've ever seen.

And space combat! In Halo Reach!

Call of Duty: Black Ops looked pretty awesome as well.

Also - a lot of games seemed to have jungle levels for some reason?

And some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Pretty cool, though. Not too much core gameplay for the Kinect (which actually might be the best way to do it), but I know plenty of people who would be very excited to try the games they showed.

Oh, but showing target footage of a clunky-looking on-rails Star Wars game? Eh... not the best way to get people excited.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
Xbox=boring and thanks for that Kinect price.

Neith
Jun 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well, Microsoft's conference just finished. Can't say I was impressed much though. The show was heavily focused on Kinect (which I expected), but did nothing to tell me it's anything more than a controller-free Wii. As I thought it was just a bunch of games similar to when the Wii launched (Sports games, fitness game), and nothing else of substance.

New X360 is nice, and good to know it's releasing soon (this week), but there was very little time devoted to things outside of Kinect.

Very poor show for anyone that isn't a casual gamer.

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 02:09 PM
Kinect looks lame, but at least they got the cutest kid ever to help me see that.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm disappointed that they only announced one new game and one new ip. Last year they announced at least five new games. MGS Rising looked really cool though.

str898mustang
Jun 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
Agreed, the show was mainly focused on Kinect. The Kinect games looked like the Wii "Title here" games but just a tad better graphics but nothing special.

-Crokar-
Jun 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
well i didnt watch it and by the responses here i didnt miss much

AC9breaker
Jun 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
Well this pretty much confirms that Sony is gonna have the best Press conference.

YEAR OF THE PS3 CONFIRMED

tr3y 4 lyfe

Edit: Kinect = eyetoy 2.0

Crushinator
Jun 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
Well this pretty much confirms that Sony is gonna have the best Press conference.

tr3y 4 lyfe

QFMFT

donkeybeatz
Jun 14, 2010, 03:11 PM

tr3y 4 lyfe

Co-signed.

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
I'm kind of concerned about the Sony/Nintendo press conferences and their focus on 3D. What's that going to be like for those of us watching at home?

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm kind of concerned about the Sony/Nintendo press conferences and their focus on 3D. What's that going to be like for those of us watching at home?

Flying out at the crack o' dawn for Sony's conference tomorrow. :D Personally, I hope they don't have anything 3D, but I'm sure my disappointment with Sony's 3D will be on par with my Kinect disappointment. At the very least, MS only dropped one turd. Sony has two stinkers in the hopper (Move and 3D). If the conference tomorrow is nothing but Move and 3D, I'll be the one escorted out by security for throwing a flaming bag of shit at Tretton.

AC9breaker
Jun 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
I think for the most part Sony learned to take their head out of their ass and understand that they need to explain certain things. I'm totally not really buying this whole 3D fad and would prefer if it just died becuase quite frankly the cost is just unreasonable especially considering how war has changed and the war economy and ID tag soilders etc....

I think the Sony Move however has the most potential to deliver what I as gamer originally imagined when I first saw the Wii promo videos. At the very least they have the software lineup to at least have decent showing.

Nintendo I don't even. At the very leats I don't think Nintendo will do worse then last years fiasco with Wii Music, but they're not gonna upstage Microsoft. Nintendo has always been pretty hesitant about pushing new technology unless it's already proven or some 1st party thing like stupid Wii vitality sensor. I would expect any major ton bombs from them to be about announcing an HD supporting wii or a wii with storage space. The 3DS is most likely their test with the 3D technology and I doubt it'll be a primary focus. Think PSPgo for Sony's press conference last year.

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
Flying out at the crack o' dawn for Sony's conference tomorrow. :D Personally, I hope they don't have anything 3D, but I'm sure my disappointment with Sony's 3D will be on par with my Kinect disappointment. At the very least, MS only dropped one turd. Sony has two stinkers in the hopper (Move and 3D). If the conference tomorrow is nothing but Move and 3D, I'll be the one escorted out by security for throwing a flaming bag of shit at Tretton.

Yeah, you might want to get your bag ready, then. Move's obviously going to be a huge focus, and so far every leaked flagship title has been pushing 3D, which has been a major focus for Sony's technology division.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
EA and Ubisoff are next. Dragon Age 2, please? Prince of Persia 2008 2, please?

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 04:37 PM
EA and Ubisoff are next. Dragon Age 2, please? Prince of Persia 2008 2, please?

Gamespot had both Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 listed as appearing at the EA booth. Not sure if that's just speculation or if they confirmed it.

Prince of Persia 2008 2 will never happen and that makes me sad. Not that I dislike the Sands of Time Prince! I just also like the 2008 Prince.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
Gamespot had both Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 listed as appearing at the EA booth. Not sure if that's just speculation or if they confirmed it.

Prince of Persia 2008 2 will never happen and that makes me sad. Not that I dislike the Sands of Time Prince! I just also like the 2008 Prince.

Yeah I saw that on destrctoid yesterday. I know both games are coming(da2 and me3) but I'd be really happy if they showed them today.

As of now they showed eight games and they said ten...so. There's still a chance!

str898mustang
Jun 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
well the EA presentation just ended. Crysis 2 looked good. Enough with the damn fitness games and that star wars movie looked pretty cool though some gameplay should have been shown.

McLaughlin
Jun 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
The thing keeping me from getting one of those new 360s is whether or not the HDDs are compatible. I already migrated all my saved games once, I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to do it again (although that 250GB hard drive would be nice to have). It looked a lot better in the show than on that ad.

str898mustang
Jun 14, 2010, 06:36 PM
The thing keeping me from getting one of those new 360s is whether or not the HDDs are compatible. I already migrated all my saved games once, I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to do it again (although that 250GB hard drive would be nice to have). It looked a lot better in the show than on that ad.

well from what I've heard people say is that the only hardware change it got was built in Wi-Fi. Everything else stayed the same except for the look.

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
In one of the GTtv interviews they pulled the HD out of the new 360. It's completely different. Also, you can migrate your data as many times as you want, it just wipes the old drive every time you do it.

In other news: Child of Eden may have just un-fucked Kinect. I feel liked I just dropped acid.

str898mustang
Jun 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
In other news: Child of Eden may have just un-fucked Kinect. I feel liked I just dropped acid.

lol agreed, that was an insane trip

Nitro Vordex
Jun 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
EA is winning in my book so far. Must have Bulletstorm. Kicking doors at enemies and smashing them with them? Yes please.

Airalean
Jun 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
EA is winning in my book so far. Must have Bulletstorm. Kicking doors at enemies and smashing them with them? Yes please.

Bad Touch!

Neith
Jun 14, 2010, 08:37 PM
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier looked pretty nice (4 player co-op could be cool), and I'm interested in the new Assassin's Creed (not intrested in the DRM though).

Not a bad showing by Ubisoft, especially compared to Microsoft's stale effort.

GJARE
Jun 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
BREATHING the game.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
In one of the GTtv interviews they pulled the HD out of the new 360. It's completely different. Also, you can migrate your data as many times as you want, it just wipes the old drive every time you do it.

The "Guch" doing his Jabbawockees thing up there.

G4 live coverage dropped his whole after gaming interview translate though. Bishes.

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 09:17 PM
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier looked pretty nice (4 player co-op could be cool), and I'm interested in the new Assassin's Creed (not intrested in the DRM though).

Not a bad showing by Ubisoft, especially compared to Microsoft's stale effort.

I actually felt Ubisoft has had the worst showing so far. Aside from Child of Eden and Ghost Recon, I've pretty much forgotten the whole presentation. It's way too soon for another AC game. It sounds like they plan on turning it into one of those annual titles that shits itself out every November.

However, the real reason Ubi's conference is bringing up the rear:

FUCKING LASER TAG

Rubius-sama
Jun 14, 2010, 09:20 PM
New Xbox 360 unveiled. Looks... pretty good. :)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/gallery-xbox-360/

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
I actually felt Ubisoft has had the worst showing so far. Aside from Child of Eden and Ghost Recon, I've pretty much forgotten the whole presentation. It's way too soon for another AC game. It sounds like they plan on turning it into one of those annual titles that shits itself out every November.

The creative director for AC actually just left Ubisoft and the popular rumor is it was because he didn't like the direction that Ubisoft was taking the series.

And shoot - I skipped the Ubisoft presentation, but I really wanted to see the Ghost Recon trailer after that initial live action tease a while back. I'll have to track it down. I take it that the trailer was good?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 14, 2010, 10:56 PM
I actually felt Ubisoft has had the worst showing so far. Aside from Child of Eden and Ghost Recon, I've pretty much forgotten the whole presentation.

Michael Jackson dancers in regular looking clothes to end it probably wasn't the best look.

What is this, some car show and they're stomping the yard to sell us some Kia Seoul Souls or Scion xB(lox of Lego car)?

Celi-Ka
Jun 15, 2010, 02:40 AM
New Xbox 360 unveiled. Looks... pretty good. :)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/gallery-xbox-360/

I'm totally all over this when it becomes available.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 15, 2010, 02:42 AM
I'm totally all over this when it becomes available.
It should be in stores in a week, pretty surprising how fast.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179841
-

I should check out the front page more!

http://www.pso-world.com/news/02289-new-xbox-360-elite-announced

joefro
Jun 15, 2010, 02:49 AM
The new Xbox is...sexy and
IT'S SO SHINY!

also
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/mgsr3-w1000.jpg
If this game has Kinect support, I'll get it just for that.

also
NOT THE ASTRO VAN

Neith
Jun 15, 2010, 06:13 AM

However, the real reason Ubi's conference is bringing up the rear:

FUCKING LASER TAG

Yeah, I didn't mind the Ubisoft conference much until it got to the casual titles. However, compared to Microsoft it was solid gold :disapprove:

As for the AC game, I haven't actually played the previous ones but it looked pretty fun. Maybe I should go back and check the others out.

Child of Eden made me feel like I'd taken something, which I suppose is the desired effect :wacko:

I do want a new 360 though. Mine's taking up way too much space, and it's already been repaired once. Shame, as I'd recently bought a 250GB HD for it, but the new 360 would be beneficial to me. Oh, and it's black, so it'd match with my TV and PC. I hate white consoles, and the 360 I have doesn't match with anything. Maybe I'll sell it for a new one.

Max B
Jun 15, 2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7bt49zGN8g&feature=player_embedded

Kent
Jun 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
I actually thought the Star Wars Kinect game looked really interesting.

I mean, there's some pretty obvious technical flaws with what they actually showed - but the idea itself seems really solid; like a Star Wars-based sort of Sin & Punishment rail shooter (or... rail jedi-er). I really like the concept of it, and am feeling cautiously optimistic about how the game may end up when it's time for release.

Children of Eden is basically Rez: Kinect Edition... Which is possibly the best thing of the show thus far, especially the way the guy was playing it, which looked fantastic.

Of course... I'm actually interested in what they're going to do with Sonic Free Riders. I enjoyed the first game of the series (haven't tried that second one), but I'm still interested to see where they're going with it.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
Oh God this Nintendo press conference just got really painful to watch. Either the motion controls just aren't in place or there's a ton of interference, because none of the new controls in Zelda are working right.

It all looks pretty cool in the test video, though. Hopefully the rest of the conference doesn't have the same technical issues.

EDIT: Huh, they haven't been showing any other hands-on demos so far. Maybe they actually were having difficulties?

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 12:05 PM
holy shit Nintendo impressed me. Fucking Kid icarus in 3D and new Donkey kong alone looked amazing.

Fuck goldeneye though.

3DS capable of 3D pictures? This is fucking amazing. I can't even believe it. In fact I'm calling bullshit until I get my hands on one.

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 12:19 PM
fuck, man I think nintendo got this E3 won. Fucking reggie isn't playing with all his hookers with 3DS chained to them. Sony, you better call THE KB. IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

Airalean
Jun 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
Nintendo E3 Conference:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I0KlWPiJ0R8/SgVM_OHqVDI/AAAAAAAAADc/7JiF6_nQfc0/s320/noyphh.jpg

amtalx
Jun 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
I'm on a bit of a delay, but that was pretty impressive. Technical difficulties aside, I think Nintendo has had the best show so far. Sony will need to ante up big time to beat that.

Off to Sony's conference!

Leviathan
Jun 15, 2010, 12:40 PM
Super amped about Nintendo this year. Looks amazing. :wacko:

joefro
Jun 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
New Donkey Kong?

Fuck yes

Well it looks like Nintendo wasn't playing around this year. Lets see if Sony can steal the show.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
After the Nintendo Conference, I was pretty impressed, esp. after their horrible 2008 E3. Donkey Kong Country returns won me over though, as I'm a huge fan of the originals. I can only hope the music lives up series of well, except DKC3 which had an average OST. DKC returns looks sweet, Nintendo is going back to its roots on this. This is sort of like New Super Mario Bros. Wii except in Donkey Kong form.

I'm also interested in Epic Mickey, looks real good for a Wii game. Of course, Kid Icarus was a nice surprise as well.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
Holy crap, that was great. I was telling one of my buddies that if it wasn't for the technical difficulties at the beginning, that was pretty much a perfect E3 Press Conference.

Did you guys see the 3DS games they announced? Resident Evil? Metal Gear Solid?

Also, I've got to say that Kirby was one of the best looking games at the show. The way they played with the art style was really cool.

3DS capable of 3D pictures? This is fucking amazing. I can't even believe it. In fact I'm calling bullshit until I get my hands on one.

I dunno - I remember having a disposable camera when I was a kid that had two lenses and claimed to take 3D pictures.

Then again, I never actually saw the result because it was like $10 to get it developed, but I don't think it's too difficult to pull off.

Neith
Jun 15, 2010, 01:08 PM
I didn't think I'd say it, but Nintendo blew the doors off the place with that keynote.

Metal Gear on 3DS? New Metroid, new Kirby, new Kid Icarus, new Zelda.. I'm not even a Nintendo fan, but that was one hell of an impressive E3 for them.

I wonder how much the 3DS will cost...

Leviathan
Jun 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
Kid Icarus!

Sorry to keep you waiting? It's about time, mah boi.

Kent
Jun 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
That Zelda demo was just... painful to watch. Luckily, Stephen Totilo's hands-on video (http://kotaku.com/5564197/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-video-preview-starring-me) yielded much better, and actually-functional results.

The 3DS looks to have an amazing lineup of games - real games, ones that gamers actually want. I still can't really feel that Nintendo's lineup of their own games are token gestures to string along older fans in hopes of really great things - even if the new Kirby does look amazingtastic. The 3DS really stole the show, though.

I'm really expecting a lot of "me too" hilarity from Sony's conference though.

joefro
Jun 15, 2010, 02:04 PM
I wish Sony could just get to the point and make announcements. All they do is brag about sales figures and whatnot, which no one cares about.

Tyreek
Jun 15, 2010, 02:11 PM
Street Fighter IV for 3DS?! Are you shitting me?!

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 02:55 PM
Haha KB is the fucking man. Unfortunaetly he alone can't make Sony's conference better then Nintendo but he alone did make it better then Microsofts.

Edit: But the conference has been getting progressivly better.
LBP2 is beats mode.

Volcompat321
Jun 15, 2010, 03:38 PM
No Golden Sun yet? :o

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 03:53 PM
yeah bro nintendo announced it. But I thought it looked like a shittier version of Wild arms.

Volcompat321
Jun 15, 2010, 03:55 PM
Wow, lame.
Well, I'll still end up playing it, cause I loveeeed the first two.

Hope I'm not too :disapprove:.

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
I only played the first one, but never beat it. Didn't think the series was that interesting.

str898mustang
Jun 15, 2010, 03:57 PM
Nintendo conference: Only thing I liked was the Zelda and Goldeneye (HELL FUCKING YES! THE ORIGINAL MULTIPLAYER FPS SHOOTER GAME)

The Sony Conference: Just Gran Turismo 5 for me

Other than that, nothing else jumped at me.

Volcompat321
Jun 15, 2010, 04:04 PM
Oh nice!
I loved Goldeneye!
I actually still have the damn game!

Sexy_Raine
Jun 15, 2010, 04:04 PM
Bwahaha, Portal 2 went multi. I guess that's Sony's jab at MS for FF13 going multi a long time ago. I can't wait to play Portal 2 on my PS3. I honestly never thought Gabe would even set foot at a Sony Conference considering he doesn't care for Sony.

The rest of the conference was aright, Nintendo's was still better though. Too much talking about sales BS. Sorcery could be interesting, but I'd wait for reviews first. Infamous 2, LBP2, GT5, Killzone 3 were all shown as I said. I was dissapointed when FF14 was shown again, I was really hoping for FF13 Verses footage. Dead Space 2 had the best gameplay demonstration though.

There should be plenty of videos for the games not shown at conferences. I want to see gameplay of The Third Birthday.

Kent
Jun 15, 2010, 04:09 PM
Well, Sony's E3 presser was pretty... disappointing. Something like six or seven different silly ad reels, on top of TV advertisements, and very little (comparatively) in the way of real innovation in the way games are played, and the astoundingly-generic games showing off their 3D effects. Maybe I'd be a bit more interested if the games used for it looked like something new and unique, without the 3D - relying on 3D display for the games is an easy way to prove that it's nothing more than a gimmick.

Some of the later games they showed looked interesting, like LittleBigPlanet 2, but every game announcement was bookended by arrogance, which really took away from it.

The problem with basically all of Sony's speakers (save for Kevin Butler, really) is that they like to attempt to brag, tell people that they're the best at , and claim that every little thing they do is innovative - you know, like a waggle-wand, having 3D displays (with terrible framerates, if the ad reel about it is to be believed), and [I]having buttons.

They probably did set a world record for the number of times people have said "3D" within a single press conference, though.

If this were a competition, then, well... They certainly aren't going to win by running out and boasting "WE'RE THE BEST AND MOST INNOVATIVE!" and then not really doing anything to back it up.

Bwahaha, Portal 2 went multi. I guess that's Sony's jab at MS for FF13 going multi a long time ago. I can't wait to play Portal 2 on my PS3.
Too bad it was already multiplatform, huh? I think that, perhaps, trying to make a jab at someone for getting a once-exclusive game by getting a non-exclusive game to come to your own platform is kind of doing it wrong.

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 04:10 PM
I was hoping to hear more information on The Last Guardian. Dead Space 2 video was awesome and I totally gonna be all over Medal of Honor (for 360 though. Fuck PS3 analog sticks)

Kent
Jun 15, 2010, 04:13 PM
The Last Guardian is another one of those things that's just randomly, mysteriously absent - just like Pokemon Black/White.

Neith
Jun 15, 2010, 04:14 PM
Twisted Metal and a release date for GT5 (but not in Europe, guess I have to wait longer >_>) are now pushing me to get a PS3. Damn, in the space of 2 days I've gone from wanting a new 360, to a 3DS, to a PS3. I need to think this over :wacko:

I'm most interested in some footage Kotaku showed of the upcoming Warhammer 40,000 MMO: http://kotaku.com/5563449/finally-a-good-look-at-the-warhammer-40k-mmo

Looks interesting, I just hope that it doesn't play TOO much like WoW. If it plays like Global Agenda, I'm sold.

Also, Chaos Bikers, Ork Deffkoptaz and Warhound Titans? I need more info on this, now. :lol:

AC9breaker
Jun 15, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hellz yeah Warhammer 40k online looks freaking sick! I think one of the most intersting things about the Sony press conference that people have not mentioned here is Steam on PSN. I don't know about you doods, but I love me some steam, steam marketplace. Seriously, I would have a hell of a lot more cash in my account if it weren't for the godamn deals they be having.

joefro
Jun 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sony did really good, except for the fucking bragging. This isn't an investors call, Mr. trey ton. I'm not buying into Move or Kinect. Kinect has no good games (at launch) and Move is too expensive. Way too expensive. A complete Move experience is $130 for one set. This includes the camera, a move controller, a game, and the nun chuck. Damn. Three extra move controllers will cost $175 bringing the cost of four player move experience well above the $300 mark. That's ridiculous.

Overall, for me at least, Sony had the best showing. Followed by Nintendo and then EA. Microsoft, you better get your shit together next year, you won't have Gears, Halo, Fable or Crackdown to show off.

Can't wait to get my hands on Medal of Honor next week. Black ops, step aside.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
SONY CREATED 3D. THERE WAS NO 3D BEFORE SONY. /obvious facts

Portal 2. ;o

Sony's conference (from what I actually bothered to watch) was boring and terrible. Let's all just talk about motion and crap. Boring.

Uh. Stopped watching after they started doing stuff for the PSP. Didn't care after that.

Also HOLYSHIT NINTENDO. Star Fox 64 for the 3DS is confirmed. Goldeneye is a huge disappointment for me, merely because they Photoshopped the new Bond in there. I hate the new bond. NEEDS MORE PIERCE BROSNAN. Zelda looks neat, if the Wii could actually do what it's supposed to do.

All in all, this year's was not only waggle, but waggle FOR YOUR WHOLE BODY.

ashley50
Jun 15, 2010, 04:25 PM
[spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ashley_riot/1276625022858.jpg[/spoiler-box]

-Crokar-
Jun 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
nintendo had some pretty good things for them i also agree that goldeneye is lame with the new bond and not the goldeneye bond. kinda makes it not goldeneye at all. and i fell asleep during the sony conference

got around to watchng part of microsofts conference some stuf flooks pretty good next year i think they will be in trouble as someone said before they wont have what they did this year with big franchises. and im too damn fat and out of shape to care about having to move physically to play a game i thought gaming was suppose to be a leisure activity not something to make you sweat your ass off.

McLaughlin
Jun 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Overall, for me at least, Sony had the best showing. Followed by Nintendo and then EA. Microsoft, you better get your shit together next year, you won't have Gears, Halo, Fable or Crackdown to show off.

The rest probably not, but why not Halo? Microsoft owns the IP and they created a studio specifically for Halo (343 Industries). Who's to say they haven't been working on something since they were created? I think I know what you meant but it's still a possibility. They'll still have some blockbusters to show off (Mass Effect 3 comes to mind (hopefully)).

Anyway, I definitely think Nintendo had the best outing this year. Microsoft was pretty weak and Sony's WE INVENTED THE WHEEL crap is getting really stale.

joefro
Jun 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
The rest probably not, but why not Halo? Microsoft owns the IP and they created a studio specifically for Halo (343 Industries). Who's to say they haven't been working on something since they were created? I think I know what you meant but it's still a possibility. They'll still have some blockbusters to show off (Mass Effect 3 comes to mind (hopefully)).

Anyway, I definitely think Nintendo had the best outing this year. Microsoft was pretty weak and Sony's WE INVENTED THE WHEEL crap is getting really stale.

Yeah, I know 343 is up to something, and they have an excellent staff too. They hired some Halo fanfic writers along with Frankie from Bungie, who wrote and produced Halo 1-3. They also have Ryan Peyton of MGS4 fame along with some ex-Gearbox staff. My guess is that they are working on a new Master Chief Halo game, as every Halo fan knows that Halo 3 wasn't Master Chief's last story.

That being said, I find it highly unlikely that they will have a "main" Halo game out next year. They have stuck to the one game every three years deal since Halo: CE and I think it works great. The fans of Halo are happy with one Halo for 3 years.

Now Halo Wars 2? I can definitely see it making an appearance at E3 11 with a release date of Spring 2012. I can also see it having Kinect functions, but maybe not. After Microsoft shut down Ensemble, they helped Robot Entertainment start up, which is a development studio made largely of former Ensemble employees. As soon as the studio formed, they started Halo Wars 1 dlc and they still support it to this day. They are working on two projects right now, they have stated that one is a new IP. My guess would be that Halo Wars 2 would be the other.

The new Crytek, Xbox exclusive will undoubtedly be shown at next years E3, as well as Mass Effect 3 and whatever Call of Duty comes out Fall 11 (which probably won't be MW3, since development hasn't started yet.) I'm sure some other new IPs will be introduced as well. Viva Pinata for Kinect wouldn't surprise me and perhaps a Milo for Kinect will come out. Or Microsoft might pull a Nintendo and not have any core games for a couple of years. Who knows.

amtalx
Jun 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
For me it was:

1. Sony
2. Nintendo
3. EA
4. Microsoft
5. Ubisoft

Since I'm sitting in an airport with nothing better to do, I'll give some impressions from Sony's conference. First, I think their sound system sterilized me.

I was surprised that the first 40 minutes wasn't blowing hot air about sales figures and stroking their own cocks about how sweet their tech is. Instead they took that buttery spread of hubris and distributed it evenly throughout the whole show.

Killzone 3 looked really freakin' good in 3D, but the effect is only cool with wide shots, or if there is a lot of scenery in the background. The effect is pretty much bust otherwise. The huge screen helped, but I'm still not sold on 3D. If a screen that big can't, I don't think anything can.

The Move stuff wasn't nearly as bad as Kinect. Sorcery looks interesting enough, but it may have the single worst player avatar I've ever seen. The motion controls didn't seem critical to gameplay, but not contrived either. Tiger Woods golf is *gasp* ...golf.

I pooped a little when Gabe Newell walked on stage. I'm curious to see how Steam is going to work with PSN. Also, PSN will continue to suck. No party system, cross-game chat, or invite system that isn't a convoluted shit-storm? GTFO and come back when you have something.

Medal of Honor looks just like Modern Warfare 2. How did that happen? :wacko: Dead Space is the only game that might be better in 3D...and it doesn't have it. Still looked fantastic though.

R.I.P. PSP, June 15, 2010. Their new ad campaign for the PSP with the kid was incredibly awkward. The people around me had the same "Are they seriously going down this road?" look on their face I did. KB was a home run, nothing but bat. This new PSP campaign is like a kid that wears head gear and eats his own boogers whiffing at a pitch so hard he face plants.

I think GT5 might be the game with the most E3 appearances. Glad to see it get a release date, even if it will probably get pushed back even further. The fact that it doesn't have a release date for two regions (potentially the two with the highest penetration per capita) doesn't fill me with confidence. But is pretty, really pretty.

Also, I want to have KB's babies.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
so, anything on the 3ds yet?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
I pooped a little when Gabe Newell walked on stage. I'm curious to see how Steam is going to work with PSN. Also, PSN will continue to suck. No party system, cross-game chat, or invite system that isn't a convoluted shit-storm? GTFO and come back when you have something.

R.I.P. PSP, June 15, 2010. Their new ad campaign for the PSP with the kid was incredibly awkward. The people around me had the same "Are they seriously going down this road?" look on their face I did. KB was a home run, nothing but bat. This new PSP campaign is like a kid that wears head gear and eats his own boogers whiffing at a pitch so hard he face plants.

Hopefully better than the things that don't work so well from some quick lets put it to market buzz generate so we have it (twitter facebook last.fm etc) And Steam PC games compat with PS3? Or their own versions only? segmented market when Steam is all about your account, games you bought can work on any PC, just login. You'd figure with XB360/Live for Windows some games work both player bases, would have happened first instead.

They copied the XBL pricing, $50 year, $17.99 3 month($2 cheaper but 3 monthers are the big sellers anyway), so yeah, why not copy the connection/chat grouping features.

Well, I guess it could be good in the end to stop the bad PSP controller nonsense, of which a recent release reviews for Metal Gear Peace Walker is harped on for again not being able to dual Analog Stick (not nub). PSP with better design/control intuitive would def be the way to go. Plenty of backlog great stuff to consider compatibility but if not, move forward without it and better controls instead. (PS:P2 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37) for PSP2)

Could have been their killer new hardware app, which Move isn't at all with like JoeFro said, bigass price points, a PSP 2.0 (Mega-deus)

I was hoping to hear more information on The Last Guardian. Dead Space 2 video was awesome and I totally gonna be all over Medal of Honor (for 360 though. Fuck PS3 analog sticks)
Yeah, where was that new ICO team IP with the beast training castle perching mega size familiar?

And the sticks were never thought to be upgraded with Dual Shock #3 revision, just a shame. Concave thumb placement is a good idea, and probably if copyrighted, 5 years have just about passed, so get on that.

Para
Jun 15, 2010, 11:15 PM
Imo Nintendo won this year. 3DS is impressive, the game lineup is impressive and strokes every little inner kid inside him/herself and the conference was hitting the right notes most of the time aside from the technical interference in which Shiggy seemed very legitimately pissed about.

Mortalis
Jun 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
Sony wins it for me hands down. Nintendo is what I think about their conference every year. Which is generally, "Call me when you stop making rehashes of every game". Mario has been in over 200 games. Kirby has over 20 games. Metriod has over 15 games. I got tired of Mario after the SNES. About the only thing I liked from the Nintendo conference was the 3DS. Sony's Move looks alot better than the Wiimote. Much more precise, and games I'd actually like to play. Scorcery looked pretty good. Twisted Metal was like a joygasm. Just basically everything in Sony's conference impressed me, though, by my own admission, I am a Sony fanboy.

Edit: Also, Golden Eye is gonna go by name recgonition alone. Judging by the game trailer, all shooters that are already out top the gameplay in Golden Eye. Yes, I was one of those people who were up all hours of the night with my friends playing Golden Eye, but back then what competition did it really have? Perfect Dark? With all the shooters out there, I could find much better quality in my opinion.

str898mustang
Jun 16, 2010, 01:29 AM
KB's speech = BEST FUCKING SPEECH EVER

Zeek123
Jun 16, 2010, 09:44 AM
Sony wins it for me hands down. Nintendo is what I think about their conference every year. Which is generally, "Call me when you stop making rehashes of every game". Mario has been in over 200 games. Kirby has over 20 games. Metriod has over 15 games. I got tired of Mario after the SNES. About the only thing I liked from the Nintendo conference was the 3DS. Sony's Move looks alot better than the Wiimote. Much more precise, and games I'd actually like to play. Scorcery looked pretty good. Twisted Metal was like a joygasm. Just basically everything in Sony's conference impressed me, though, by my own admission, I am a Sony fanboy.

My whole opinion pretty much coincides with this.

But I've got to admit... Ocarina of Time remake is quite the nerdgasm.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
holy crap, i just got a look at some of the 3ds titles, and this is some of the most amazing news ive ever seen, it looks like nintendo really tried hard this time, starfox 64 3d wil be amazing

were finally getting an ocarina of time remake, a sonic game that looks cool, a new animal crossing, and a new kh, and i cant believe how well done these graphics are, i thot the metal gear screens were cinematics, but they weren't.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
I got tired of Mario after the SNES.

Twisted Metal was like a joygasm.

These are not two things you should be proud of.

EDIT: Also, I was so sure they were going to announce a new PSP along with an Uncharted spin-off by everybody's favorite PSP developers Ready at Dawn. Now I feel sad that I was way off.

Shou
Jun 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Looks like Nintendo wins this E3. Pretty much blew the others out of the water. It must have been really embarrassing when they were showing the Zelda demo and the wireless was being interfered with. lol

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 17, 2010, 05:05 AM
I guess it goes without saying, but if anyone predicted "everything is a sequel" even the Q - Mizuguchi game is basically a Rez in heart and soul with different direct controls, you would have been the "winner."

Since WTF

With only 3 major players and total 5-6 big shows overall, it doesn't matter who "Won" if everyone is progressing the medium; or pushing things both which you will buy and will make their stockholders/profit earners happy.

You all kinda say you're against the fanboyish "look who fails" "I only own one because its better" but then you do the same ol' "These guys won, shit owns (me) 4 lyfe!" and while not that big a sycophant do go back to that "Who won." The media pushes it too, so its kinda a peer thing too I guess. Not to say don't get excited and hopeful for the futures, with "I hope I'm wrong" about the new tech/hardware that could be a big misstep, "Hope it doesn't fail/probably will fail/Shit fails Wiggle Wiimote up ya own azz gaem?! Nah mean?! (ChadWarden)" <- don't go as far as the last infamous one. If that dude ever plays the DS: Wario make your own game one, watchout!

Especially if you invest in them and it goes the way of HD-DVD, for no fault of its own there, or some proprietary Sony stuff, MiniDisc, lots of fault there for some examples. Then other system owners get chastised even if they didn't take to that blue lightbulb Move, Party buzzer game looking controller or Kinect captures. And it repeats as a fault that is ammo to put the others down.

holy crap, i just got a look at some of the 3ds titles, and this is some of the most amazing news ive ever seen, it looks like nintendo really tried hard this time, starfox 64 3d wil be amazing

were finally getting an ocarina of time remake, a sonic game that looks cool, a new animal crossing, and a new kh, and i cant believe how well done these graphics are, i thot the metal gear screens were cinematics, but they weren't.
New Animal crossing certainly won't change the collect a stuff nature of the game. And even though SQUEENIX changes the controls and interface with every new game, it certainly won't dramatically change the fundamentals of press X for combo's Kingdom Hearts.

So what I'm saying is, Capcom's Okamiden should fit into your massive queue as another one you always want to see from now on. I also had no fun with Golden Sun(Fire Emblem either, diff reasons) despite praise everywhere. Its no Earthbound, or to me, even the Enix Robotrek and definitely not as well designed as Illusion of Gaia.

Missed out on Deus:Ex until now, new one pretty swanky. Movie like trailer, tropes from different stealth action stuff/movies sure, but put together well enough:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29691

Lets go more Syndicate/Flashback than I dunno, "Daywalkers" "Shinra towns" or misuse of the city set pieces and timeline for new tech, underutilized to craft a story and immersive world. More grounded in reality than a 16 bit Shadowrun, so maybe some Blade Runner living city backdrops kinda stuff?

joefro
Jun 17, 2010, 05:22 AM
These are not two things you should be proud of.

EDIT: Also, I was so sure they were going to announce a new PSP along with an Uncharted spin-off by everybody's favorite PSP developers Ready at Dawn. Now I feel sad that I was way off.

Don't be too sad, (my predictions were super off, but my list was more of my dream list) I remember reading somewhere (I think Joystiq) that an Uncharted game for PSP is already in the works. At this point though, it is clear that this is the last year for the PSP. I can only think of a couple of new PSP games coming out this year, God of War being the only one that looks interesting. If Sony doesn't introduce PSP2 next year, the 3DS will most likely destroy it.

I guess it goes without saying, but if anyone predicted "everything is a sequel" even the Q - Mizuguchi game is basically a Rez in heart and soul with different direct controls, you would have been the "winner."

Yeah, it seems like the video game industry got together for a meeting a few months ago to plan E3. I can imagine all the company leaders sitting around a UN-esque meeting room with a giant table. "So, it's in agreement, no new IPs will be shown this year." "Yeah, sounds good, bro" I'm not saying that sequels are bad, but they're just....uhh I don't know how to describe it. I think the word I'm looking for is...expected. I like surprises, and sequels never surprise me.

In actuality, they did have some new IPs. Microsoft revealed their partnership with Crytek for Codename: Kingdoms, which looks like a gladiator type game (even though they literally showed nothing of gameplay, the blood got me excited.) Ubisoft revealed Project Dust which also looked pretty rad. The people who made Flower and flOw also revealed their new game, let's hope this one includes gameplay.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 17, 2010, 06:25 AM
New Animal crossing certainly won't change the collect a stuff nature of the game. And even though SQUEENIX changes the controls and interface with every new game, it certainly won't dramatically change the fundamentals of press X for combo's Kingdom Hearts.

i dont want them to cahnge much, i like kingdom heats fighting style, i just want more content and storyline, the gameplay is pretty solid imo, and with animal crossing, i dont know y (seeing as there all so similar) but i just luv getin new animal crosssings even if its just with a few new things.

Akaimizu
Jun 17, 2010, 07:20 AM
Nothing in particular about E3 really excited me, this year. Nothing to really talk down E3, but I think it was a little lessened by some pre-E3 announcements that REALLY got me excited for what's coming. In a real interesting change of events, SEGA and Nintendo are the ones that actually got me excited for the future. (Yep, back to the original 2 Japanese console companies) I still worry that the Playstation move requires too many parts to buy in order for it to get the masses to rush up and make it widely popular. Not when millions and millions already have wiimotes (and a large portion of them with Wiimote-Plus attachments (built-in), making them quite accurate). Sony, this year, seems to be doing like they advertised before. Attempting to copy some ideas from Nintendo and Microsoft, when it comes to hardware and their online business.

The 3DS and games were probably the biggest eye-openers, I've seen here. So I'd give this one to Nintendo, even if whoever wins E3 really isn't what matters much. I tend to look at how they relate to current market trends, weigh in what has worked, what has already picked up steam, and what is doing anything on untested (or previously shaky) ground.

As for Kinect, I'm not shocked that they weren't trying to showcase hardcore gaming with it, they were targeting the casual market, and I'll at least give it to them for not just trying to directly copy off of another company's idea. The raft and adventure stuff seemed kind of neat, but I'm more interested in what capabilities would open up with more subtle movements than full body exercise stuff. Hand gestures, and all that, which for right now seemed geared towards the system applications like viewing movies and such. (Would Steven Spielburg use it for Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the videogame? (Just joking, but I remember the scene with the hand gestures for talking to the aliens). But Kinect seems to have the potential to be the most accurate hand gesture reader of them all, which could be a real wild thing for a game (like a sci-fi one) where you need to open certain doors, and/or perform a combination to unlock a door. It's wilder than you think as Apple's iPad already showed some of that interactivity with Nova, where you use multi-finger gestures to actually twist open, or open up alien-like combination locks, or physically slide up/down switches in the game world with your real hands, directly. It's a very immersive (almost pull you into the game) kind of feeling in practice) The pet tiger stuff is probably another casual market pleaser as well.

All in all, whatever works here, from any of those companies, are what I'll pick up. I'm curious, myself, what the 3DS hardware specs will be. Not just from a graphical point, but in memory, network connection, and storage aspects.

Zeek123
Jun 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
Looks like Nintendo wins this E3. Pretty much blew the others out of the water. It must have been really embarrassing when they were showing the Zelda demo and the wireless was being interfered with. lol

I don't think Nintendo could "win" just because they showed off yet another Zelda game that everyone knew was coming.

Outrider
Jun 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
I don't think Nintendo could "win" just because they showed off yet another Zelda game that everyone knew was coming.

How is that a bad thing? Zelda is well-loved in the gaming community. That's why people get so excited about it.

Also, for everybody worrying about the cost of the Playstation Move, apparently you can one-hand your Dualshock in place of the Nunchuk-style secondary controller. I guess the $30 accessory isn't entirely necessary, though I'm looking at pictures of it and I'm worried you might be loosing some buttons by using the Dualshock.

amtalx
Jun 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
Also, for everybody worrying about the cost of the Playstation Move, apparently you can one-hand your Dualshock in place of the Nunchuk-style secondary controller. I guess the $30 accessory isn't entirely necessary, though I'm looking at pictures of it and I'm worried you might be loosing some buttons by using the Dualshock.

I can't imagine doing this for an extended period of time. Holding a DualShock controller sucks enough with two hands.

Outrider
Jun 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
I can't imagine doing this for an extended period of time. Holding a DualShock controller sucks enough with two hands.

Yeah, but I can definitely see people wanting to reduce Playstation Move from a three-item $120 purchase to a two-item $90 purchase.

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
The official brand Move recharger is thirty bucks too. :/

amtalx
Jun 17, 2010, 04:33 PM
So if I want to get a Move setup for me and three of my friends its going to cost $400.

$100 Starter Pack (Eye + Move controller) x1
$50 Move controller x3
$30 Sub controller x4
$30 Charger

FUCK YOU SONY

joefro
Jun 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
So if I want to get a Move setup for me and three of my friends its going to cost $400.

$50 Move controller x3
$30 Sub controller x4
$30 Charger

FUCK YOU SONY

Also, add $300 for someone who doesn't have a PS3.

So, that's:
$700 for PS3 + Move
$450 for 360 + Kinect (speculation)

If they price Kinect at $150, it's actually not a bad deal.

Randomness
Jun 17, 2010, 06:49 PM
Have to say.... uh... Wiimote costs like $40. Kinda... lol?

joefro
Jun 17, 2010, 08:33 PM
Wii is the most ridiculous.
What is it like...
$40 wii remote
$20 wii motion plus
$20 nun chuck
$20 classic

That's $100 for a "complete" wii controller.
After all the math is done I think a wii and four controllers comes out to around $500 or so. So I guess Sony still wins for most expensive.

Akaimizu
Jun 17, 2010, 08:41 PM
Wii owners kind of get cut a break. Some of the software that uses such stuff comes with the hardware knocking down that price, significantly. I never bought a wii motion plus, but I got two between two games that used them, and still was cheaper to buy said games than your typical 360/PS3 release. Classic controller with Monster Hunter Tri almost felt like getting it for free. Unless they really wanted to, nobody actually payed for all those peripherals at cost.

Randomness
Jun 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
What is it like...
$40 wii remote
$20 wii motion plus
$20 nun chuck
$20 classic

After all the math is done I think a wii and four controllers comes out to around $500 or so. So I guess Sony still wins for most expensive.

Not many games need Wii Motion Plus, and none require Classic. At all.

joefro
Jun 17, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wii owners kind of get cut a break. Some of the software that uses such stuff comes with the hardware knocking down that price, significantly. I never bought a wii motion plus, but I got two between two games that used them, and still was cheaper to buy said games than your typical 360/PS3 release. Classic controller with Monster Hunter Tri almost felt like getting it for free. Unless they really wanted to, nobody actually payed for all those peripherals at cost.
I see what you're saying, to the "informed" gamer/core gamer they know how to shop.

Not many games need Wii Motion Plus, and none require Classic. At all.
While it's true that none require classic, some make it a hell of a lot easier to play, such as, Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter. I'm also not sure how you'd play an SNES game on the Virtual Console without classic...please inform me if you can.

Outrider
Jun 17, 2010, 11:31 PM
I see what you're saying, to the "informed" gamer/core gamer they know how to shop.

While it's true that none require classic, some make it a hell of a lot easier to play, such as, Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter. I'm also not sure how you'd play an SNES game on the Virtual Console without classic...please inform me if you can.

Smash Bros actually isn't that hard to play with the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. (It's really only a four-button game when you get right down to it.) Still, the ideal choice is a Gamecube (or in lieu of that, a Classic) controller.

But yeah, I think you're right about Virtual Console games - I think those are the only games on the Wii that require a Classic/Gamecube controller.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 17, 2010, 11:55 PM
i dont want them to cahnge much, i like kingdom heats fighting style, i just want more content and storyline, the gameplay is pretty solid imo, and with animal crossing, i dont know y (seeing as there all so similar) but i just luv getin new animal crosssings even if its just with a few new things.
I didn't want to discuss the merits and what you like about either of those.

Why not Okami brand moving in on your watch list?

Peer pressure?!

SQUEENIX not on the box? Well they're on the Deus Ex trailer/box... so get that too. ;) No, its not on DS or Nintendo yet. (And only published I suppose by SquEnix)

What is it like...
$40 wii remote
$20 wii motion plus
$20 nun chuck
$20 classic

Yup, always tried to convince Tetsaru and hardcore bros, this is the most hardcore Voltron controller of them all.

"there's only 2 or 3 games I wanna play on there really"

So just buy it and those few games and save your money. No losing to buyers remorse with buying what you want and then getting the most out of your money, well - Cost of entry is the lowest/equal to lowest of all systems. But it was someone else's pass on opinion, not their own of course, all over Internet - so many reasons why they don't buy - never listen to that. Not harping on Tetsaru or whomever was in those conversations over in OT.

GC controller ruined my thumb with TvC, I could've used classic/PRO. Too many Ken Eagle air teleports. Damn you SRK Z motions and reverse ones, thought this game was user friendly! (Assists choosable again Marvel Cap 3 also makes me think I purchased TvC too early, as well that "If you buy this we will talk about another vs game - already in dev since August 2008" :argh: sneaky Capcoms.)

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 04:49 AM

Actually, to any "savvy" shopper, regardless of gaming experience, will get some of those deals. Both my stepmother and my mother, who bought their own wii and accessories at different times, found deals like those to save on accessories/controllers and the like. I didn't even have to tell them. They just have honed getting better deals as an instinct.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 06:10 AM
Smash Bros actually isn't that hard to play with the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. (It's really only a four-button game when you get right down to it.) Still, the ideal choice is a Gamecube (or in lieu of that, a Classic) controller.

But yeah, I think you're right about Virtual Console games - I think those are the only games on the Wii that require a Classic/Gamecube controller.

i actually prefer the nunchuck wiimote combo for brawl, dont know y i just do, i think its cuz i can move my hands more, even if that doesnt matter.

don't you guys thikn it would be great that now we have 360 movement on the 3DS, that they madea suoer smash brothers on it?

joefro
Jun 18, 2010, 06:33 AM
Smash Bros on 3DS would be amazing. I always wondered why they never made one on the DS.

Kent
Jun 18, 2010, 07:01 AM
Smash Bros. on the 3DS... Just imagine, enemies being smashed into your face (or perhaps less dramatically, off into the distance).

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
It depends on the fans, of course. I mean, Smash Brothers fans come from a lot of different preferences. Some love Pikachu and some can't stand the guy. So I think some will cringe at the idea of having Pikachu *that* close to them, even if he's smashed there.

joefro
Jun 18, 2010, 08:25 AM
They could always turn off the 3D effects. :D

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 08:31 AM
the way i see it, why does it matter to have pikachu in ur face? even if u hate the thing. i dont even think pikachu is annoying, but i think the reason SSB never hit DS is cuz of dpad, i think it still could have worked, but it wouldnt have worked as well. oh, and if it does come to 3ds, they better put Roy back in!!!!! y would they bother taking out characters in the first place, no ones gonna complain about having too many characters, if u dont like one, dont use it

i for one want skull kid with majoras mask to be a character, what smash characters would u guys like to see in whatever the next SSB game is?

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
Can't really say what *new* characters I would want. All the ones, I have fond memories of, are already in the series. The new Kid Icarus game definitely looks positive we'll see him, in the next one. And that one is someone I do want them to keep.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 09:46 AM
a whole lot of 3ds games look promising, im probably most psyched about Kingdom hearts nad ocarina of time, but icarus uprising looks really cool too

Outrider
Jun 18, 2010, 10:16 AM
Can't really say what *new* characters I would want. All the ones, I have fond memories of, are already in the series. The new Kid Icarus game definitely looks positive we'll see him, in the next one. And that one is someone I do want them to keep.

Smash Bros isn't done until it has the Elite Beat Agents in it.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 12:42 PM
i think i might die laughing if they add them, but i wont complain, i like having new characters.

str898mustang
Jun 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think the best presentation was Kevin Butler's speech(to me, KB's speech was seperate from Sony even though it wasn't)

"Gaming is having a huge television in a one room apartment" lol, too epic.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 02:12 PM
did any pso worlders get to go to E3?

amtalx
Jun 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
did any pso worlders get to go to E3?

I was at Sony's conference. Didn't get to E3 itself though.

Outrider
Jun 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
My brother flew out for one day for work, but from the sound of it he didn't get to walk the floor for too long.

Stilll, he said the 3D effect on the 3DS worked well, so that's good to hear.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 05:54 PM
the other thing i think is good to hear about the 3ds, is tHAT IT ISNT MANDATORY, It isnt mandatory to use 3d, i was really dreading great games being messed up by over using 3d effects.

Zeek123
Jun 19, 2010, 02:05 PM

$50 Move controller x3
$30 Sub controller x4
$30 Charger

FUCK YOU SONY

Urm, actually you could only have a max of 4 Move Controllers and 3 Sub Controllers active on one console at any given time :/

Unless I'm mistaken, the PS3 can only support 7 Blue Tooth devices at once.

Outrider
Jun 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
Urm, actually you could only have a max of 4 Move Controllers and 3 Sub Controllers active on one console at any given time :/

Oh snap, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

So I guess there's no way to do 4-player Move+sub gameplay?

Zeek123
Jun 19, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oh snap, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

So I guess there's no way to do 4-player Move+sub gameplay?

Which is why it really surprised me when I saw the Sub Controller was wireless :-?

Kent
Jun 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
It seems like it'd be a better idea to make the Sub Controller connect wirelessly to the Move controller, instead of to the system itself - at least to circumvent the Bluetooth limitation. I don't know if it'd make an input delay to be worried about, though.

amtalx
Jun 19, 2010, 03:30 PM

Move just got worse.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 19, 2010, 05:10 PM
yah, i love how much sony is trying to copy nintendo to scrape up some money, first, wen the wii comes out they talk about how stupid it is and that its just a toy, then they decide to make there own, and then its not even playable to the full extent in 4 player... i think we have a problem

now dont get me wrong, i like playing the ps3 somewhat, i just think a lot of stuff about it is stupid

Jesseph
Jun 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
The 3DS looks somewhat interesting, and there will be many cool titles on it. I'm not really interested in Kinect... It's too pricey for something that I don't think I'd get much use out of. E3 was OK this year... Nothing mind-blowing.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2010, 11:12 PM
The 3DS looks somewhat interesting, and there will be many cool titles on it. I'm not really interested in Kinect... It's too pricey for something that I don't think I'd get much use out of. E3 was OK this year... Nothing mind-blowing.

The 3DS looks somewhat interesting
The 3DS looks somewhat
somewhathttp://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7361/1273729274844.png

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 20, 2010, 12:26 AM
What are the first adopters of Move going to be called, the "Movementarians?"

Move just got worse.
PS2 style Move multi-tap, Bluetooth/USB Hub/whatever just for +1 addition - edition?

$30 more?

SubstanceD
Jun 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
There wasn't all that much that got me excited during E3 2010. The 3DS was probably the highlight of the show. I had heard the rumours but I wasn't expecting it to be that much more powerful than the DS/DS Lite. I also wasn't expecting soo many games to be in development for it, the port/remake of Orcania of Time has got me excited.

The only other things that I got out of the E3 experience were the new trailors for Fable 3 and Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Microsoft unvielded a slimer XBox 360. I'm not quite sold on the design although I do like that it is smaller, lighter, has more usb ports, comes with built in Wi Fi and comes with 250 GB hard drive as standard. Shame it took soo long to come out. I'm already on my 2nd 360, I don't really fancy buying another one even though new Slim 360 Elite looks like a bargain.

Everything else about the show was predictable, Sony concentrated all thier time and effort on the PS Move and Microsoft focused mostly on Kinect. Well I hate motion control gaming and the Wii, the Move and the Kinect make my blood run cold. I couldn't even get excited about Zelda: Skyward Sword because I have to use the stupid Wii mote to play it.

Shou
Jun 20, 2010, 02:47 PM
That Zelda demo was just a creppy little demo of what might be. I am guessing you didn't even watch everything Nintendo presented at E3 so explaining why I think they had a great E3 would just be silly and you can look that stuff up for yourself easily.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 24, 2010, 04:57 AM
Lucky gamers tuning in for the live ones, got Bill or a Bill stunt double doing work out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYtH28esTg&feature=player_embedded

Microsoft can have all my moneys today.

Zeek123
Jun 24, 2010, 01:13 PM
That Zelda demo was just a creppy little demo of what might be. I am guessing you didn't even watch everything Nintendo presented at E3 so explaining why I think they had a great E3 would just be silly and you can look that stuff up for yourself easily.

You know what, you're right. I especially loved all the horrible acting and getting sucked into a 3DS...

Outrider
Jun 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
You know what, you're right. I especially loved all the horrible acting and getting sucked into a 3DS...

You're trying too hard, bro.

EDIT: Actually, I think it's a good idea to handle everyone's expectations for the 3DS. Here's a good editorial by Jeremy Parish to reel some of the expecation in:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9035034

Basically - he's just pointing out that the 3DS if for all intents and purposes just the next version of the DS. The 3D is nice, but since it can be turned off for any game, it has to be entirely optional.

The way I'm seeing it is that the 3DS is the next step up from the DS in the same way that the Xbox 360 is the next step up from the Xbox. We have a stronger processor, better online support, and support for upgraded visuals that don't really affect the games (3D in the case of 3DS, HD in the case of the 360.) Still - we're not getting anything that inherently means the face of gaming is changing.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 24, 2010, 04:00 PM
i actually agree with a large portion that preview/review, the 3D isn't a great idea, the great thing is though, i was already planning to not use the 3D much. the games will be good and the visuals are very well done (which is one point where i differ from him). I think, with the good graphics, and a GREAT (in my opinion) line-up of games, that this is going to easily be the greatest handheld ever, and better than most of the home consoles (most people probably don't agree with that, but its what i think)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 24, 2010, 04:07 PM
Star Fox 64 on 3DS.

3D mode, cockpit view, no crosshairs. CHALLENGE MODE.

Edit: Actually, I don't remember seeing crosshairs to begin with. If they have them, I hope they have the option to turn them off. I played the 64 one with the crosshairs off, because they ended up getting in my way.

Akaimizu
Jun 25, 2010, 10:39 AM
Well, if the 3DS has a markedly different hardware standard, plus a true analogue stick, and online capability standards (like Wireless N support and all the current Wireless security standards), that would kind of be a genre changer if the attach rate, for the console is good. If it can swoon all the DS folks who decided to skip the DSi, this might actually make 3rd party folks come in specificially making 3DS-specific gaming. And with that, higher online connection standards. It's kind of harsh that a couple of DS games (important to me) are precisely what's keeping me running my router on WEP protocol.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
i dont think it has an analog stick, it has 360 d-pad i believe

amtalx
Jun 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
It has an analog "stick" right above the D-pad. Its also a standard recessed D-pad, not a floating one like on a 360. From what I hear it's really comfortable, unlike the nub crap they have on PSP.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
yah, i guess it's technically analog, but i thot u meant like the annoying things on the psp, which it is way better than

Akaimizu
Jun 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
The stick on the 3DS actually looks just like the NeoGeo Thumbstick controls they had for their home systems (and somewhat transscribed to the Neogeo Pockets). If it feels like those, then they might have the best-feeling thumbsticks ever.

Kent
Jun 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
The "thumbstick" on the NeoGeo Pocket Color (which I assume is similar to their other ones) was really just a digital joystick; an eight-way D-pad that uses a stick to make contact, rather than something like a button.

Akaimizu
Jun 26, 2010, 05:03 AM
I know that. Just talking about the feel of it. The same thing could be said about the Neo Geo console unit thumbstick except for a slightly different feel. The bigger controller had a bit more of a free-flowing feel than the more clicky feel of the Neo Geo Pocket version. None of them were analogue, but they had a free-movement feel to them yet highly accurate. To this day, I don't think I've had a better experience playing fighting games with my thumb, than on the Neo Geo controllers. Much better than any d-pad, IMO.

Seth Astra
Jun 26, 2010, 08:31 AM
Ya know, I was a skeptic of the 3DS, but after reading a little about it, I like it.

Zeek123
Jun 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
You're trying too hard, bro.

Sorry?

Basically - he's just pointing out that the 3DS if for all intents and purposes just the next version of the DS. The 3D is nice, but since it can be turned off for any game, it has to be entirely optional.

The way I'm seeing it is that the 3DS is the next step up from the DS in the same way that the Xbox 360 is the next step up from the Xbox. We have a stronger processor, better online support, and support for upgraded visuals that don't really affect the games (3D in the case of 3DS, HD in the case of the 360.) Still - we're not getting anything that inherently means the face of gaming is changing.

See, I've read some different impressions of the 3D effect. It was about some platformer, judging the distance between platforms was too difficult without the effect.

In any case, I really hope that the 3D isn't a mandatory feature in most games. My girlfriend loves her DS, and we'll probably get the 3DS 2nd gen, but she has astigmatism, and 3D either gives her headaches, or she can't see it at all. I just think it'd be a bummer if people that have problems with 3D get left out of some great games.

joefro
Jun 26, 2010, 11:17 AM
Sorry?

See, I've read some different impressions of the 3D effect. It was about some platformer, judging the distance between platforms was too difficult without the effect.

In any case, I really hope that the 3D isn't a mandatory feature in most games. My girlfriend loves her DS, and we'll probably get the 3DS 2nd gen, but she has astigmatism, and 3D either gives her headaches, or she can't see it at all. I just think it'd be a bummer if people that have problems with 3D get left out of some great games.

I know the feeling. I have an astigmatism and 3D movies severely mess with my vision. When I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D i had to take off my glasses and look away from the screen for a good five minutes. 3D messes with my brain so much. I'll be getting a 3DS, but the 3D will most likely remain off.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
its not mandatory, if it was, they wouldn't let u turn it off (I'm so happy its not, it could potentially a ton of games if it was mandatory)