PDA

View Full Version : What did they do to hunters?

Cruciarius
Jun 8, 2010, 04:01 PM
First off, I started playing PS games with Phantasy Star 2, back on the Sega Genesis. Great game, back in the day, but not like the current PS games.

Anyway, my next PS game was PSO on the GameCube. Loved it. Favorite character was a HUnewearl, which I got to around lvl 140 something (200 was max).

Now PS0... I tried a HUcast. Hated him. I figured he'd be better with techs, than traps. Deleted and made a HUnewm. Didn't get far with him, but deleted to make my current HUnewearl. She's somewhat fun, but dies more than my force. A lot more. Granted I could boost her survival chances with deband, but I don't have room on my palette for it.

Anyway, she uses a Zalure (lvl 1) Morgenlote +10 (maxed grind) with +30% machine and +36% accuracy. Her units are divine/power, divine/swift, divine/hit and an element protect, which I change depending on the area I go to. At lvl 77 and with 510 ATA, she misses fairly often, if using heavy attacks. Occasionally, she even misses with normal attacks, but not too often.

Lately I do a lot of Paru runs, trying to find her dream mag I want for her. Her damage is no where near what I feel it should be. With her ATP of 910, she barely deals over 100 damage vs the Izkirak-S6 and can't even deal 100 damage vs the Frunaked, using normal attacks.

I know HUnewearls don't have great ATP, but still. She feels far too weak.

I do plan on getting her more divine/power units, so hopefully those will make her more enjoyable to play.

Hating the 5+ minute battles with the Paru boss. :etongue:

Hatrix
Jun 8, 2010, 04:25 PM
Keep going you'll be getting good soon. I have a Lv.95 HUnewm. I can take out anything with daggers alone, but somtimes use the CelebHadanBite mostly on large Beast types and Machines because of it's stats. Your evasion will be excellent from what I understand; better than mine and I'm fine. Oh and keep a look out for those high hit% items. I also like doublesabers but the accuracy comprimise I don't care for so I use a higher hit% Rochelimit over my Morgenlote for example.

Edit* all I do is Paru now also for that Soniti soul I can never seem to find

Edit** I made the ultimate Octodiablo/Chaos&mobious slayer CelebHadan beast/machine Bite Stamp. I can kill C&M in under 5 PA attacks sometimes!

Cruciarius
Jun 8, 2010, 04:35 PM
I actually have a Soniti soul, which isn't for trade (hunting for a specific mag to use it on). Wasn't an easy thing to find, so good luck on your hunt.

My evade is pretty good. The Fruoutang seem to miss me occasionally, but they can also 1-hit KO me, if I'm not fully healed.

I do want to change weapons, but I'm not a fan of daggers or claws, which seem to be the popular hunter weapons. Ideally, I'd use a shield or gunblade, but neither deal great damage.

Broken_L_button
Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 AM
Personally, I equip a slicer on my HUnewearl and use techs. Never had that much trouble going through rooms (heck, even SH ET is cake now). Also, Hatrix is right; just keep on going - they don't call it "Super hard" difficulty for nothing after all! It's made to be a bit of a challenge if you don't have all the end-game gear, stats and tactics.

Anyways, regarding your slot units, I'd slap on an element boost rather than that D/power; 25 more ATP = 5 more damage (without Celeb on mobs weak to melee). D/Power, D/Minds and D/Guards are fairly useless unless you can keep on 3-4 of them at once all the time. D/HP& D/PP are even more useless, since 100 more HP (lol?) only increases by 0.4 the number of attacks an enemy needs to land on you to kill you, while 100 more PP is about 3 more PAs before you have to use 1monofluid+1difluid (in about 2 seconds) to get 95% of your PP back.

D/Hit and D/swift (to an extent) are a tad less useless since the boost from only 1 or 2 of them is USUALLY sufficient to reach the magic ATA&EVP numbers for SH (520+ ATA for hitting consistently and 692 EVP for a comfortable evasion rate while you're immobile and using PAs).

Reguarding your spells, don't waste time with Deband; your DFP is far too low to make it worth anything and you can manualy dodge stuff anyways. Shifta is a given, Anti and Resta could be useful if you ever run out of mates/sols/stars or if you know when to cast them. Your offensive techs can be useful if you max your MST, use a MST wep and, MOST IMPORTANT, KNOW ON WHAT TO USE THEM.

If you want to stick to ATP to deal damage, you should also get yourself a Tachyon Gun, grind it to max, roll a lv.5 life on it and fortify it to 15% on either native or beast since, in PSZ, when the blade fails, the gun succeeds.

In the end, all I can say is max your HUnewearl in the area you want to deal damage with (MST or ATP), upgrade your gear as much as you can and also...Very important as well; know when to melee and when NOT to melee. I've seen many HUcasts on Wi-Fi spam over-end (and some other melee PAs) on Hildes in Rioh; it takes them multiple PAs (around 2-4) to kill one while, with my RAcassy's BlackHawk/Riverman/Twin Violets, I can just lazily use HHH combos and kill 2-3 of them in that same amount of time.

...So much for a quick reply, heh.

Cruciarius
Jun 9, 2010, 12:35 PM
I want my HUnewearl to be all melee or some gun, with a gunblade. Only techs I use on her are shifta, anti and resta (all on palette 2).

Really made this thread over my annoyance of the Izkirak-S6 in Paru. They shoot so fast and with 2 in a room, I tend to die at least once. x.x

I really should probably look more into PAs. Had PS0 for months now and still not really using them. The few I've tried, I didn't like. Usually stick to normal attack, normal attack, heavy attack. Depending on the target.

Been doing a few Free Play games lately (not seeing any friends on), only Paru, due to my quest. I usually see others switch to a sword and use some PA that has a beam of light come from it. I'm assuming that PA is Over End? It looks great, so I may look into swords. I like them, though they're slow.

I also keep seeing HUnewearls in Free Play using, I think, sabers. Probably due to a PA, though I'm not sure.

Kirukia
Jun 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
You're probably looking at Over End like you said.
Its a very strong PA but in some circumstances it doesn't work too well cuz the enemies can move out of your range while the animation drags on :p
But PAs definitely help a lot, and are worth looking into. There are some sucky ones and some good ones. But I guess it comes down to which you like.
I wouldn't recommend going all melee. At least carry around a gunblade too for melee resistant enemies. That's what most people do and you said you like gunblades :]
Finally you may want to carry around a staff and mind mag or something just in case you get stuck in a cast party or a party with all rangers/hunters. One of the good things about the newman race is that they are good with techs. Sometimes you fit into the healer niche better than fighter, and it just makes it easier. It's actually fairly common for me to end up there with my HUnewm since sometimes in Free Play you end up with only 1-2 other people in your party anyway. I'd much rather hit things than sit around healing but eh sometimes that's just where you need to be :S

FOmarRashidi
Jun 9, 2010, 12:52 PM
Speaking of gunblades, Earth Bullet is the best gunblade PA for the more fragile characters. It has a 170% attack modifier and 150% accuracy modifier.

Broken_L_button
Jun 9, 2010, 12:53 PM
That Sword PA you saw is indeed Over End. Just like you said, it looks great, deals tons of damage...But is extremely slow and unwieldy if you don't fine-tune your aim and predict enemy movements.

Despite what most people might say, sabers are excellent weapons, thanks to a fast combo animation and extremely short charge times for PAs; NHH+Zeta Cutlass tears through rooms. There's also the fact that two of the highest performance sabers in the game (Luzparias for power and Stormer for accuracy) drop from the same, very common enemy (that yellow frog thing).

Ishrak is one of the example of enemies I scarcely melee (or take more precaution than usual) against; I usually circle around them and either:
-Spam zonde/razonde with my HUnewearl
-Stun them with my RAcaseal's Bullet dance (from a StunNersir), move in for a NHH + Earth Bullet - but sometimes I usually just move in swiftly for the combo and stunlock them. Most of my other characters usually just move in for a combo as well after they shoot.

Also...Just remember that the only "ranged" damage Gunblades deal is in shot mode. All their PAs, even Bullet Dance, deal melee damage. Good luck with your HUnewearl!

Edit: Kirukia and Rashidi speak the truth.

Cruciarius
Jun 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe I'll drop the divine/power unit, for now, if it really doesn't improve my damage much. I'd likely replace it with a PA cost reducing unit (can't recall the name right now), then look more into PAs.

Kirukia
Jun 9, 2010, 01:15 PM
@BLB: Oh that's right sorry I was thinking of rangers use gunblades for melee.
In that case Cruc you might be better off with a handgun. A good rogue pulse with flame hit or if you don't wanna use the PAs you can re-roll a Tachyon's element level to get celeb 5.
It has thriller combo which isn't that bad cuz of the stun and it's a quest item.
Towards the Future on SH if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway when you add an element it adds a random level, so just save beforehand and restart until it ends up at 5 xD

Chukie sue
Jun 9, 2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe I'll drop the divine/power unit, for now, if it really doesn't improve my damage much. I'd likely replace it with a PA cost reducing unit (can't recall the name right now), then look more into PAs.

Yeah, they have little effect. If you were to run a Div/power at all, it's best to run in bulk. Such as : Divine Power x 3/Compress PA.

Cruciarius
Jun 9, 2010, 03:43 PM
I don't even have a compress PA, yet. Haven't been able to find that quest.

Galax
Jun 9, 2010, 04:30 PM
@BLB: Oh that's right sorry I was thinking of rangers use gunblades for melee.
In that case Cruc you might be better off with a handgun. A good rogue pulse with flame hit or if you don't wanna use the PAs you can re-roll a Tachyon's element level to get celeb 5.
It has thriller combo which isn't that bad cuz of the stun and it's a quest item.
Towards the Future on SH if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway when you add an element it adds a random level, so just save beforehand and restart until it ends up at 5 xD

Uh, how can I reroll the Tachyon guns element? O.o
I have no clue what you mean.

EDIT: Unless you mean add an element, and then if it's not the level I want, reload, because I HAVE gotten a lv2 element from adding to a non-elemental weapon.

Broken_L_button
Jun 9, 2010, 09:22 PM
EDIT: Unless you mean add an element, and then if it's not the level I want, reload, because I HAVE gotten a lv2 element from adding to a non-elemental weapon.

Wait...So you got a lv.2 from adding to a element-less weapon?! I NEED to know what weapon it was and how you accomplished such a feat! (pretty please?)

...Also, he did mean re-adding until you get the element level ou want.

Cruciarius
Jun 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
I need to hunt myself a new Neidaryl (best gunblade HUnewearl can use). The one I have has no %s and no PA.

Might take a break from her to get my RAcaseal through the hard ET... or just do SH ET with my FOnewearl, to hunt things.

FOmarRashidi
Jun 9, 2010, 11:43 PM
I need to hunt myself a new Neidaryl (best gunblade HUnewearl can use). The one I have has no %s and no PA.

Might take a break from her to get my RAcaseal through the hard ET... or just do SH ET with my FOnewearl, to hunt things.

It's too bad the newmans can't use the Axeon gunblade series. Level 3 heat, Earth Bullet, and 50mst bonus. In any case, good luck with your gunblade hunt.

mMarikom
Jun 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
As a HUnewearl, you'll definitely want to spam that Shifta. You should have sufficient base MST to use a slicer with Bright Sign or a Celeb Alice Olivia from your FOnewearl to do decent non melee damage (unless those count as melee >_>) until you can get yourself a decent gun (Even if you use all power mats, since FOrce weapons have such insane MST boosts, along with 100 MST from a mag and possibly even more from divine/minds). But yeah HUneys are potentially really fun characters. Highest stat total of all characters, capable of doing decent damage with both MST and ATP means (although a lot of characters can do that TBH, just ask BLB), able to equip the best armor in the game, versatile, and they look great with a Femini mag. I'm personally turning mine into a weaponless HUney...

Galax
Jun 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
Wait...So you got a lv.2 from adding to a element-less weapon?! I NEED to know what weapon it was and how you accomplished such a feat! (pretty please?)

...Also, he did mean re-adding until you get the element level ou want.

It was on a Taxion Gun, I think, I added dark a long time ago, it came out lv2, I was like HOLY SHIT! and yeah, too bad it was dark though...I'm not even sure I still have it, but it was just a random thing...So I guess that debunks the lv1 only stuff right? *awsmface*

Chaos Rappy
Jun 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
It was on a Taxion Gun, I think, I added dark a long time ago, it came out lv2, I was like HOLY SHIT! and yeah, too bad it was dark though...I'm not even sure I still have it, but it was just a random thing...So I guess that debunks the lv1 only stuff right? *awsmface*

No, the Taxion/Luxion/Tachyon Guns are all a special case of their own; they can have any element level between 1 and 5, but the level is random when you add the element. Just reset and try again if it isn't five, though, otherwise it's a waste, obviously. <_<

As for other weapons, it's always 1 on elementless weaps... I tried a lot before, it doesn't work with any other weapons but those three guns.

Cruciarius
Jun 11, 2010, 03:17 PM
My FOnewearl's SH ET run resulted in nothing worth mentioning, aside from a Radam soul, which I got around floor 20. Last mother's drop was... very disappointing... mostly greens and no reds worth keeping.

Back to Paru runs, with my HUnewearl, I suppose.

Galax
Jun 11, 2010, 04:18 PM
No, the Taxion/Luxion/Tachyon Guns are all a special case of their own; they can have any element level between 1 and 5, but the level is random when you add the element. Just reset and try again if it isn't five, though, otherwise it's a waste, obviously. <_<

As for other weapons, it's always 1 on elementless weaps... I tried a lot before, it doesn't work with any other weapons but those three guns.

I didn't know that, sorry. I typically don't bother adding elements unless it's 3+, or if I really just feel like it.

bns1991
Jun 11, 2010, 05:04 PM

The item you are referring to is compress PA. When using the sword PA over end there is a dramatic difference in the time taken for the charge to complete. I use the milias breaker and the damage is astounding with over end (I have a lv 95 Hmar) and compress PA makes the weapon more useable. It just took a while to find the cake shop :-/

Cruciarius
Jun 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
I know of the Compress PA. I knew the name, but it's not the unit I was referring to in that post. The unit I was considering was a PA Save lv3, if I were to be spamming PAs.

Broken_L_button
Jun 11, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hmmm...PA save lv.3 might be a waste of a slot unit, IMO. The amount of PP per PA saved is, as you know it...20%. The most costly PA out there is OE, for 46 PP, IIRC. Multiply that by 0.2, and then round it to the nearest integreer and you get...9 PP saved! Woot!...Insignificant. The other most popular PAs to spam after that are BS and EB, which cost between 20-30 PP to use, thus for an economy of roughly 6 PP per PA.

Considering most people clear a room with about 2-5 PAs, that makes you save about 12-45 PP per room. Rather small if you take into account HUneys pretty big PP pool (501 PP at level 100)....Wait...PP pool? That doesn't read back right. Let's call it her potential PP? I'd say don't bother hunting PA save lv.3, unless you want to use it for trade-bait. Then again, that's just my opinion; only you can decide how to make your char, and, whatever you choose, as long as you enjoy using that char, the decision was right.

Cruciarius
Jun 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hunt for it? I've got at least 2-3 sitting in my joint trunk and that's after selling a bunch to the item shop NPC. I think I had around 7 or 8 at one point, but needed room.

Didn't think to do the math on PP saved with PAs, honestly. So if not that, then what? Hunt the quest for a Compress PA? Granted I should do that anyway... but since I don't have that, what else should I use?

Chukie sue
Jun 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
protect units to save you from those pesky traps ._.

Cruciarius
Jun 11, 2010, 11:24 PM
Already have at least 1 of each protect unit, I believe. Only one I may be missing is a light protect, which I don't plan on hunting for.