PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 3 using semi-real guitars

Rubius-sama
Jun 11, 2010, 12:46 AM
While I'm no Rock Band junkie, I thought this was cool. There's no way you'd wanna use one of these things as a real guitar though. I also think this would take some fun out of the game for those who can't play guitar. The reason why the game is popular is because you can play your favourite songs without having to touch a real guitar.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/rock-band-3-omg-instruments-rm-eng.jpg

Wrap your head around this one: a 150-button guitar peripheral. That's for the pro version of Rock Band 3, whose goal is to actually turn the controllers into something more fitting of actual musicianship in a separate, more advanced "Pro" mode (the core game is still intact for those want it).

First up is the aforementioned two-octave keyboard / keytar, whose difficulty goes from pressing within one of five ranges to actual dead-on notes. For drums, the three cymbals can now actually function as separate notes, sharing three lanes but given their own shape to know which to hit. Guitar, however, is a whole new beast. A $150 Fender Mustang pro (pictured up top) boasts 17 frets and 6 strings of accurate placement for a total of 102 buttons, and six nylon strings that must be plucked individually.

Of course, if that hits the uncanny valley of plastic peripherals too closely, there's a Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster that'll be coming out that can actually be used as a real guitar or a Pro model. Vocal melodies from Beatles Rock Band carry over here. No concrete release date; head on over to new Joystiq for the preview, or if you want to see true trendsetters, watch Devo predict this game all the way from 1982 -- that video's after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/rock-band-3-gets-pro-mode-real-guitar-hybrid-controller-and-k/

joefro
Jun 11, 2010, 01:59 AM
If the set list is good, I'll get it, if not, I won't get it. I'm not really interested in the Pro mode, I'd rather just play a real instrument. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, I'm sure some people will love it. I just don't think I'd enjoy playing with a controller with over 100 buttons.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 11, 2010, 02:32 AM
I just don't think I'd enjoy playing with a controller with over 100 buttons.
But what if they controlled a giant mech of destruction like Steel Battalion?

Red eject button: pretty important for survival/save progress.

-

Keytar ownership going up during that release month.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2010, 02:54 AM
If I wanted to learn how to play guitar, I'd take lessons. Guitar Hero was fun because it's a game.

SpikeOtacon
Jun 11, 2010, 03:27 AM
I see this as a good move. The old difficulties aren't going anywhere, they're just adding another mode onto the game that will let the totally nuts go nuts with their cool technical skill or whatever.

Neith
Jun 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
I see this as a good move. The old difficulties aren't going anywhere, they're just adding another mode onto the game that will let the totally nuts go nuts with their cool technical skill or whatever.

This. The old 'hit coloured buttons' modes are staying. This 'Pro Mode' is designed for people with an interest in learning a real instrument. Don't worry about the game becoming too complex if you don't plan on learning, the old modes remain.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but keyboard players can play old songs too- just using the guitar or bass chart.

Sinue_v2
Jun 11, 2010, 10:36 AM
So does this mean no more YouTube videos of professional musicians failing their own songs on Easy mode?

Kent
Jun 12, 2010, 11:51 PM
If I wanted to learn how to play guitar, I'd take lessons. Guitar Hero was fun because it's a game.
Learning is more fun when you have your sound system cranked up and the crowd is cheering at your total awesomeness. That's not going to happen if you're standing in front of people learning how to fiddle with a real guitar. That aside, the fact that you could potentially get into playing the real thing (assuming this works, of course) means that if you're doing this, you'll be getting a real skill in while having fun playing. Essentially double the awesomeness.

I find it interesting that "pro mode" isn't a difficulty setting, but rather, a separate mode with its own set of difficulties, to help ease people into playing it, while at the same time letting them access the songs they want.

I think that this has potential, and I'm considering picking it up at some point (the new guitar that is - the game is probably a definite buy for me, personally).

AC9breaker
Jun 13, 2010, 12:56 AM
Quite frankly I'm fucking excited and equally amazing that Harmonix can still push and inovate in the stagnating music genre. Keytar? HEL YEH. The Cure confirmed? HEL YEH throw me some Joy Division and Depche mode and it'll be GOTY hands down.

amtalx
Jun 13, 2010, 01:27 AM
Learning is more fun when you have your sound system cranked up and the crowd is cheering at your total awesomeness. That's not going to happen if you're standing in front of people learning how to fiddle with a real guitar. That aside, the fact that you could potentially get into playing the real thing (assuming this works, of course) means that if you're doing this, you'll be getting a real skill in while having fun playing. Essentially double the awesomeness.

I find it interesting that "pro mode" isn't a difficulty setting, but rather, a separate mode with its own set of difficulties, to help ease people into playing it, while at the same time letting them access the songs they want.

I think that this has potential, and I'm considering picking it up at some point (the new guitar that is - the game is probably a definite buy for me, personally).

While I certainly don't discourage using this as a tool to get involved in music, I really have zero interest in using Rock Band as a tutor. It's a game to me. When I feel like playing an instrument, I go play (I'm a drummer). When I want to screw around and just enjoy everything, I play Rock Band.

Anything that get's people involved in music is good, but I have some concerns that this is going to create a lot of players with terrible habits. Playing an instrument is about technique and repetition, and there's a lot more to that than trying to five-star your favorite song. Then again, as long as the pro mode is built around learning, and not just trying to convince you that you're a rock star, it might be alright.

There's also the issue of the instruments. They will certainly be complete rubbish. I have a lot of trouble playing songs on the RB kit that I can play perfectly on a real kit because the RB drum pads have no rebound and the kick isn't even a real kick. Don't even get me started on the insanely retarded snare location. Although I'm sure anyone that gets serious about playing won't play with the RB instruments for long.

joefro
Jun 13, 2010, 01:44 AM
There's also the issue of the instruments. They will certainly be complete rubbish. I have a lot of trouble playing songs on the RB kit that I can play perfectly on a real kit because the RB drum pads have no rebound and the kick isn't even a real kick. Don't even get me started on the insanely retarded snare location. Although I'm sure anyone that gets serious about playing won't play with the RB instruments for long.

My brother, who is also a drummer, broke my Rock Band kick pedal about the second week after RB1 came out. Needless to say, I was pissed. I also don't see why the almighty Harmonix couldn't have just scrapped the 'pro' instruments and went with real guitars that plugged into the consoles. I guess that's what Rock Band 4 will be about.

Kent
Jun 14, 2010, 01:32 AM
My brother, who is also a drummer, broke my Rock Band kick pedal about the second week after RB1 came out. Needless to say, I was pissed. I also don't see why the almighty Harmonix couldn't have just scrapped the 'pro' instruments and went with real guitars that plugged into the consoles. I guess that's what Rock Band 4 will be about.
Going by their current pattern, Rock Band 4 will be about bringing whatever they introduced in the previous game to perfection, and making Kotick feel even worse about having bought the Guitar Hero brand, instead of the studio behind it.

Powder Keg
Jun 14, 2010, 07:30 AM
Pretty neat I guess, but these games are really getting old already.