PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Phantasy Star Portable 2 E3 Trailer

Para
Jun 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265608/?tag=top_stories%3Btitle%3B7

Remix of Live Universe with no vocals is a little meh but still enjoyable with the good pacing.

breakeronetwo
Jun 15, 2010, 11:42 PM
but liked the vocals....

Para
Jun 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
Also I demand that PSP2 be on 3DS. The hell to playstation portable.

pso_crash
Jun 16, 2010, 12:41 AM
Also I demand that PSP2 be on 3DS. The hell to playstation portable.

Why? It will be years old by then. I would like to see a new game in the next gen. Something that takes the series to another level, not a 3 year old port with real 3d.

Lolitron
Jun 16, 2010, 01:17 AM
As much as I like the vocals, I do agree with SEGA's decision to remove the vocals for the English release.

The odd accented singing of engrish in a tone most Americans are not comfortable with is not necessary to market the game. This lyricless remake makes it look more "epic" and less like an anime which is better catered towards the western market.

kongajinken
Jun 16, 2010, 01:19 AM
Why? It will be years old by then. I would like to see a new game in the next gen. Something that takes the series to another level, not a 3 year old port with real 3d.

Recycling old games can't be too hard since the most difficult task of planning out the game along with all choices already being made so no need to decide how strong, what kinda items, etc.

As much as I like the vocals, I do agree with SEGA's decision to remove the vocals for the English release.

The odd accented singing of engrish in a tone most Americans are not comfortable with is not necessary to market the game. This lyricless remake makes it look more "epic" and less like an anime which is better catered towards the western market.

Voice acting is just an extra that I never really liked. It's nice judging a person by their actions free of having to listen to an annoying voice over.

ashley50
Jun 16, 2010, 03:05 AM
that's a boring Trailer...lol

Typestatic
Jun 16, 2010, 03:48 AM
that's a boring Trailer...lol

The e3 demo trailer was appalling too *head desk*

Mike
Jun 16, 2010, 04:35 AM
The lyrics aren't that bad. Where would we be with "Starship Earth" anyways :p

Drac_Mazoku
Jun 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
Another cut in the game already??? Without the lyrics, the opening I liked so much become really "meh". I know the lyrics were very "engrish" but it was still something we could understand part of. So I hope the cut of the lyrics will only be in this E3 demo, and that it will come back in the full game. We're not in the 90's anymore. Sega does not need to protect our poor little American brain from the japanese culture by cutting left and right. I'm sure if we do a survey anywhere on the net asking if people (and by that, I mean even those who never played Phantasy Star) prefer the version with or without lyrics (even if bad one), the version with lyrics would win by a big margin...so I don't understand the logic with Sega (even though it's been a while since I lost all hope of understanding their logic...)

Anyway, we'll wait and see

Ami
Jun 16, 2010, 07:49 AM
*gives you a brick wall* This might be better.

But yes the E3 trailer was just, just UGH.

As for the theme song issue. I like the vocals. I really did, a step up from PSU (even though I liked Save this World too DON'T JUDGE ME D: ).

BUT, I like the vocals as well as the instrumental so either would be fine with me. Just that trailer really didn't do it justice. I could tell where they cut some of it out on the first view (that never happens folks). So I hope for a better blending of it in the future.

Typestatic
Jun 16, 2010, 08:36 AM
*gives you a brick wall* This might be better.

But yes the E3 trailer was just, just UGH.

As for the theme song issue. I like the vocals. I really did, a step up from PSU (even though I liked Save this World too DON'T JUDGE ME D: ).

BUT, I like the vocals as well as the instrumental so either would be fine with me. Just that trailer really didn't do it justice. I could tell where they cut some of it out on the first view (that never happens folks). So I hope for a better blending of it in the future.

If kool-aid can break through a brick wall, then so could I!
Give me Structural steel for that, don't mind bleeding out afterwards 8D

The vocals made 'Living Universe' a winrar (Love the build up to the chorus)
Trailer just couldn't get the timing right with the melody, it felt out of place at times.
That's just my opinion...

'Save this World' -
Out of the people I know around my area that played PSU they all knew the song.
We all would sing it for several laughs it's awesome cheese.

The trailer could have done with some game play imo and yeah, the PSU scenes were unnecessary.
Also the blunt transition from Crouch straight to URSULA would sure make them sell more copies.

*YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!*

Mike
Jun 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
Actually, with a little more work, I think the vocal-less version could be pretty good. If they could bring some of the background to the front it even be passable. Since the lyrics have just been stripped out it doesn't sound right.

StamiStar
Jun 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
Woah, Woah! What happened? Let's not jump the evil shark, people!

Really? Show me.

SammaeltheDark
Jun 16, 2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe the vocals are just removed from the trailer and not the game?
What's a true PSO/U game without Engrish and awkward lyrics to their theme songs, anyhow? ;P
(That's what was wrong with PSZ.. they went with Japanese lyrics)

I'm gonna prolly sneak the trailer video onto the development media servers here at work along with the Ys SEVEN E3 trailer

Lolitron
Jun 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Woah, Woah! What happened? Let's not jump the evil shark, people!

Really? Show me.

Check out the opening post. It has a link to the E3 trailer...

Ash1ey
Jun 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
What's a true PSO/U game without Engrish and awkward lyrics to their theme songs, anyhow? ;P
(That's what was wrong with PSZ.. they went with Japanese lyrics)

I'm gonna prolly sneak the trailer video onto the development media servers here at work along with the Ys SEVEN E3 trailer

This & the fact that the title screen in the JP version is just a vocal-less version of the theme song too, so they probably just used that for the trailer.

Ami
Jun 16, 2010, 01:17 PM
If kool-aid can break through a brick wall, then so could I!
Give me Structural steel for that, don't mind bleeding out afterwards 8D

The vocals made 'Living Universe' a winrar (Love the build up to the chorus)
Trailer just couldn't get the timing right with the melody, it felt out of place at times.
That's just my opinion...

'Save this World' -
Out of the people I know around my area that played PSU they all knew the song.
We all would sing it for several laughs it's awesome cheese.

The trailer could have done with some game play imo and yeah, the PSU scenes were unnecessary.
Also the blunt transition from Crouch straight to URSULA would sure make them sell more copies.

*YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!*

OH YEAAAAH *bursts through a brick wall*

But yeah, Save this World was so cheesy that it was epic. It's gotten to the point that whenever it plays I must sing it.

@Stami : Oh I thinking that more than likely that the opening will pretty much stay the same. Just that the trailer itself was pretty lackluster in its presentation. I hope that if another trailer comes out, it won't be a repeat @~@

StamiStar
Jun 16, 2010, 02:12 PM

This.

Check out the opening post. It has a link to the E3 trailer...

I see now; A lackluster. ._.

This & the fact that the title screen in the JP version is just a vocal-less version of the theme song too, so they probably just used that for the trailer.

This too.

@Stami : Oh I thinking that more than likely that the opening will pretty much stay the same. Just that the trailer itself was pretty lackluster in its presentation. I hope that if another trailer comes out, it won't be a repeat @~@
hehe.

Homedogx5
Jun 16, 2010, 03:16 PM
noooooooooo give me vocals please!

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
Most tracks will come with a non-vocal version if there are vocals. They may just be hard to find. This has been proven many times since PSO. PSO originally had the lala version. PSOC.A.R.D had it's non-vocal version on a promotional CD that had Billy Hatcher as well on it. Was this Living Universe or Entrance Universe? The PSP2 Special single had a non-vocal version of Living Universe and it sounded good.

I think it's the fact that this was cut up that stopped the natural build up you get through the song, especially once the violins join in. If PSU has shown us anything, the vocal version will still be in the data on the UMD. They just have to choose to access it. (Which may be easier than we think if the opening movie is not directly accessing the file.)

kongajinken
Jun 16, 2010, 05:21 PM
Opening doesn't need voice over it just needs some more hearts, rainbows, and a unicorn or two.

T_Esquire
Jun 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Actually, Sega's predisposition towards English lyrics has me wishing they did non-vocal songs MORE OFTEN. I mean, the lyrics are more often than not worse than US works, and unabashedly so from how many songs Sega produces in English. Seriously, this is a Japanese company, what's with all the English?! This is a company that frequently tells it's US branch what to do with itself, too! I honestly can't figure it out.

Mike
Jun 16, 2010, 07:14 PM

It is lyric-less but it's also an arrangement. The trailer just sounded like the lyrics were stripped from the opening song.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 16, 2010, 07:30 PM
Actually it's not lyric-less. There are lyrics. Try hitting start and then keep moving the cursor location every 15 seconds going from new to continue to etc. There's a full song in there and it's a remix of the original song Living Universe called Entrance Universe.

O-dizzy
Jun 16, 2010, 07:30 PM
I'll be upset if they removed the lyrics from the game but I'll be even more salty if they removed the scene where the goddess holds the universe in her hands and invites the player in. To me, that scene is genius and it'll be a crying shame if SEGA doesn't find that "suitable" for the western consumer.

Ami
Jun 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
Opening doesn't need voice over it just needs some more hearts, rainbows, and a unicorn or two.
HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE~

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself with that post.

But yeah, I really hope that nothing is changing with the opening (I'm doubting that there will be major changes to it in the first place).

Typestatic
Jun 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Gah, they'll keep the opening the same.
The focus is on THIS trailer which just disappoints...
It just could have been presented better /rant off

Tyreek
Jun 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
What I'm more worried about than the non-lyric trailer is what I ended up seeing in the interview trailer. That scene with Emilia and Mika.... Was without voices. Now I know most of all important scenes have voice work, while usually short convos are without voicing. Now I'm going on a limb and assuming the voice work isn't done yet since they have... Another 3 months to get this game finished for the Western audience. However, such things worry me. I can deal with the cut of collab content, since that's been a given since. However, there is no excuse to half ass the voicing in this game, otherwise it'll just be a step down from PSP1.

kongajinken
Jun 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
Even if the voice acting gets cut PSP2 is still far superior to PSP1.

Tyreek
Jun 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
Of course its far superior. But part of the charm the game holds is in the presentation, especially in the voice work. Look what they did with PSP1. Literally almost every conversation held with Vivienne and the other main characters were voiced out of the whazoo, and it kept me attentive to many of the things going on in the story, as opposed to sitting there and just reading text the whole time and trying to grasp the situation. To each its own, but again, my point stands, there's no reason to half ass the voice work. Especially with what the work they done with PSP1.

kirtblue
Jun 17, 2010, 06:50 AM
whats the big deal if they strip the lyrics from the opening im gunna watch it like once or twice and skip over after that

YES!!!!!!!!

SammaeltheDark
Jun 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Needs more Dragon Sakai

Mike
Jun 17, 2010, 07:41 PM
Needs more Dragon Sakai

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/z026445/dgnsakai.jpg