PDA

View Full Version : PSO-World Android App?-

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
Good programmers/whatever you need to make an app for Android or iPhone should make a PSO-World app for them.

My computer is at the point of death as we speak, and it's slloooooow as hell to use the internet browser on the phone. (Well, it's not really, but its just not as fast as a computer).

Well, if I knew how to do it, I would, but I don't know how.
People, this place will never die, it'll be worth the investment.
I'd even pay a buck or two for it.

joefro
Jun 24, 2010, 11:56 PM
Yes! Somebody make it happen. Either an app or an m.pso-world.com? If I knew how to code, I'd do it, but I don't :(

Volcompat321
Jun 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hell yea.
I would definitely do it, but I don't know 1 bit of even knowing how.

I wouldn't even have the computer necessary to make one, if I knew how anyway. :(

This is more towards Tomeeboy/Ryna, or anyone from the community that knows how.
Seriously would be a great investment, cause everyone and their dad has Android/iPhone's now.

Akaimizu
Jun 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
Actually, if the site has RSS feeds it could be a start. The Forum stuff, on the other hand, would need something else for it, and be hosted on the same server.

If anybody needs a client, it's Capcom's Unity website more than this one. The web isn't the fastest on Cellphones, but at least this site is fully functional on one. Capcom's use proprietary plugins for their forum's text entry, which makes things not so good for Droids and iOS.

Fortunately, you don't need a specific programming machine to make much of this. Just ability to make and design web pages and something to test it with. Any PC with Safari will do, for the most part. You just want to adjust the window size to Cellphone proportions, to see how well it will fit. Make sure you use HTML5 for fancy stuff, and you're golden.

However, there wouldn't be as much of a rush to convert this site since it follows web standards for everything that matters. Folks like Capcom aren't in the same boat.

Ami
Jun 25, 2010, 12:45 PM
I would love a mobile version of PSO-W. I surf it on my PSP all the time. Though it works well as is on it, a mobile version would be great.

No rush to get it done though.

Tomeeboy
Jun 25, 2010, 01:37 PM
I can't promise anything, but we'd definitely love to have something like this in the future. I have an Android-based phone myself and know just how useful some of the apps can be.

Powder Keg
Jun 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
I use Opera Mini on my G1 and it loads every page quick because it minimizes the data. PSO-W loads great as well.

Akaimizu
Jun 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
Making a mobile version of the page would be easier to accomplish, and may provide what people need. (Plus you don't have to learn any proprietary language) If made into dedicated apps, you would then need people who know how to actually program for the device. I don't know Droids, but do know a bit of iPhone programming. Still, I would be shocked if it all couldn't be accomplished (and more) with HTML5 programming and still load pages quick as anything.

Volcompat321
Jun 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
I can't promise anything, but we'd definitely love to have something like this in the future. I have an Android-based phone myself and know just how useful some of the apps can be.

Sounds awesome already.
I know you said you weren't promising anything, but just know, I'd even pay for it cause I'm frequently checking PSO-World to see what's up.
I've only slowed down my activity on this site because I've been working, and not near a computer.
I'm allowed to use my phone at work, so I could check here more often with a droid app, or something like it.

I use Opera Mini on my G1 and it loads every page quick because it minimizes the data. PSO-W loads great as well.

I'll have to download this one then. Cause the default browser is kinda slow for every website, even when I have a 100% wi-fi connection.
(I have a little box thing that sends out a wi-fi signal, cause I don't want to pay $30 for the G1 plan.... lol. I don't pay for the little box thing, so it works out for me).

Making a mobile version of the page would be easier to accomplish, and may provide what people need. (Plus you don't have to learn any proprietary language) If made into dedicated apps, you would then need people who know how to actually program for the device. I don't know Droids, but do know a bit of iPhone programming. Still, I would be shocked if it all couldn't be accomplished (and more) with HTML5 programming and still load pages quick as anything.

Are you sure you need anything different for the iOS and the Droid OS?
I've seen many iPhone apps on the G1 store, and they're the same.(as far as I can tell).

Mostly games though, cause I haven't had an iPhone in a very looong time, I didn't get to use many of the cool apps.

-So it shouldn't be too hard to convert whatever you have to, right? :o

Akaimizu
Jun 25, 2010, 04:46 PM
There are some that actually learned to program both systems. However, there are a great many iPhone apps never ported to droid.

Volcompat321
Jun 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
So... I was looking into it, and yea.
There's stuff that I'd need from PSO-World, that I'm sure no one's willing to give up.

That, and learning some HTML/other coding would take some time, and I'm sure I'd mess it all up.

So, I say not it. :wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 2, 2010, 03:11 AM
So... I was looking into it, and yea.
There's stuff that I'd need from PSO-World, that I'm sure no one's willing to give up.

That, and learning some HTML/other coding would take some time, and I'm sure I'd mess it all up.

So, I say not it. :wacko:
So, better offer up more than that old infomercial kinda phrase, now used in jokes:

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Anybody know how those small square icons that you scan/take a picture of to see a micro-site, that's optimized or shrunk to fit a phone screen, even work?

Volcompat321
Jul 2, 2010, 04:25 AM
Not sure...
They're pretty small... I can take a screenshot of the size. lol

We could use the little PSO-World ring thing, with the blue, red, and green dots.

(OR A :wacko:!) for the icon.

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
Anything new on this?
I'm sure it would make at least 10 people happy! Lol

Is it possible, will it happen?
I know you said maybe sometime in the future, Tomeeboy. :D

Or, if I can get some stuff working, can I try to make one?

Redpaige13
Aug 20, 2010, 06:13 AM
Oh, I would love a PSO-World app. I usually come to this website on my G1 when playing PSO to figure out what items I feel like hunting for, and yadda yadda yadda.

Akaimizu
Aug 20, 2010, 08:21 AM
What I might do is do a rudimentary iPhone app to create a template (I'll need someone else to do the Droid one) and see what I come up with. It won't be an actual release, initially, since I want to basically just get the look and feel down. It would be a non-working skeleton but with all the gadgets in place and such.

This would be a somewhat web-compatible approach as the idea is to make it look presentable and nice and then whip up a web app like it. Since, at the moment, you kind of have to navigate this site like a web page anyway, I can see a web app working. Something that would be more compatible with both iPhones and Androids.

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2010, 04:45 PM
What I might do is do a rudimentary iPhone app to create a template (I'll need someone else to do the Droid one) and see what I come up with. It won't be an actual release, initially, since I want to basically just get the look and feel down. It would be a non-working skeleton but with all the gadgets in place and such.

This would be a somewhat web-compatible approach as the idea is to make it look presentable and nice and then whip up a web app like it. Since, at the moment, you kind of have to navigate this site like a web page anyway, I can see a web app working. Something that would be more compatible with both iPhones and Androids.

That would be fine too!
At least it's a start.
I'd try to find someone that can make an Andriod one from your iPhone skeleton, since I see many, many iOhone apps on the Droid store.

Ketchup345
Aug 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
How about as a first step, give the site one of those square bar codes? QR code I believe it is.

Shou
Aug 26, 2010, 03:37 PM
I say just setup an RSS feed and let Espio be someone to have access to send out info for updates. I love my Droid X. I can surf the regular PSOW site very fast, even the screenshot threads. ;D

Volcompat321
Aug 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
How about as a first step, give the site one of those square bar codes? QR code I believe it is.

Not sure what that is, but I'll look it up!

I say just setup an RSS feed and let Espio be someone to have access to send out info for updates. I love my Droid X. I can surf the regular PSOW site very fast, even the screenshot threads. ;D

Well, mine is fine, but I think it would be a lot faster with an app.
Maybe viewed subscribed threads, or something.
Check PM's and whatnot.

Rss feed would be cool too!

Ryna
Aug 26, 2010, 08:48 PM

The frontpage does have a RSS feed and Espio has been a news writer for several years. The trick is getting him to write more news stories. ;-)

I'd work on an Android App, but I have neither a Droid for testing or a Droid SDK.

Ketchup345
Aug 26, 2010, 09:17 PM
Not sure what that is, but I'll look it up!It is one of those square bar codes you see next to ads in magazines once in a while. Take a picture with a smart phone camera with the proper software (while running the program) and the phone will automatically open the page.

Volcompat321
Aug 27, 2010, 03:10 AM
It is one of those square bar codes you see next to ads in magazines once in a while. Take a picture with a smart phone camera with the proper software (while running the program) and the phone will automatically open the page.

Oooh okay, I actually have an app like that. Lol.

Ryna, could someone else, and maybe more write more news?
Like, more contributers?

Or does it have to be Ryna?
And I'll be more than happy working on an app for you, say, if you have one that needs to be tested or something, since I check the forums at LEAST 2 times a day.