PDA

View Full Version : Droprates?

Macman
Jun 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
Has any group ever put the effort to keeping track of how many of a certain monster they've killed before it finally dropped it's rare?
It's funny how we know what rares get a boost from boosted hostiles, but there's no data on how much of a boost that really is.

Just what kind of odds are we looking at for some of these crazy rares that several people seem to have?

Chukie sue
Jun 30, 2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah... I've been meaning to get around to looking in the game's data and (hopefully) viewing the actual drop rates for about a month now... Maybe now that it's summer I can find these out :p

Broken_L_button
Jun 30, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'd prefer not to worry about this sort of thing until someone provides a solid answer...I mean, even if a drop rate is something like "1/49", even after killing 500 of said monster, you might not have THAT drop...And yes, this happened to me.

Macman
Jun 30, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'm mostly wondering how horrible my luck is because I see people flaunting their lists with several Zero weapons, various other ubers, when the rarest things I've ever found after maxing out two characters was a Milias Sword and a Celesta Laser.

Oh, and I have the most hostiles hunted out of everyone on my FC list.

Ryouji
Jun 30, 2010, 11:24 PM
So wait, Chu, how do you look at the data? Can you do it without hacking? I've never tried it before.

Macman
Jun 30, 2010, 11:26 PM
Probably does hex viewing in the ROM or something.

Broken_L_button
Jun 30, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hmmm...Well, after re-reading your first post, I noticed that part about keeping track of the mobs killed. Well, I can say that for certain weapons/items I've kept track of how many hostiles were slain upon hitting SH...and I got this:

You should note that I reseted the count at 0 after getting the item I wanted to drop

White Disaster from Dark Falz:
-35 slain on 1st drop
-5 slain on second drop

Divine/Guard from Vespao:
-82 slain on first drop
-57 slain on 2nd drop
-20 slain on 3rd drop

Divine/Mind from Bullbat:
-549 slain on first drop

Divine/Hit from Usanimere:
-10 slain on the 1st-3rd drops; I got 3 of them in the same box
-2 slain on the 2nd-5th drops; again, multiples in the same box

Divine/Swift from tormatible:
-26 slain on 1st drop

Zero cane from Force mom:
-36 slain on 1st drop

Zero rifle from Shoot mom:
-41 slain on 1st drop
-22 slain on 2nd drop

...And that's about it for the rares I kept track of (since I was actively hunting them). As I wrote earlier, it doesn't serve that much of a purpose since...Well, the RNG God is being random as usual; for example, I went to his house to play some SSBM last weekend and then, out of the blue, during one of his winning streaks, he just jumped of his chair and shot his Wii with a 12 gauge. After that, he turned towards me and said, and I quote:

"Do you think turtles bend their spines when they retract into their shells?"

After that, I learned that it was better to not bother with that guy...

Ryouji
Jun 30, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ohs. I see. Hmm.. I should try it sometime. Hopefully without messing anything up.

Oh wait.. I thought I saw a drop-rates chart for PSZ in the sidebar on the left, now that I think about it. Did you try looking there, Macman?

Edit:
Right, just checked.. no numerical values, just hard info on what drops what. Poo..

Seth Astra
Jul 1, 2010, 12:05 AM
Well, the RNG God is being random as usual; for example, I went to his house to play some SSBM last weekend and then, out of the blue, during one of his winning streaks, he just jumped of his chair and shot his Wii with a 12 gauge. After that, he turned towards me and said, and I quote:

"Do you think turtles bend their spines when they retract into their shells?"

After that, I learned that it was better to not bother with that guy...
I'll say... That's probably one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 12:17 AM
o-o
Um..?

Macman
Jul 1, 2010, 12:38 AM
The only semblance I've heard of a droprate was that someone speculated Psycho Wand was like 1/70000.

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 01:14 AM
I see.
Hmm.. perhaps someone should use their Cast powers to extricate the code leading to the rates for which monsters drop what.

Rayvinh
Jul 1, 2010, 01:20 AM
A comprehensive drop rate list would be awesome! Just like the one for PSO! I like how it shows the DR's for every item and every Section ID. It just works, ya know?

Chukie sue
Jul 1, 2010, 02:45 PM
So wait, Chu, how do you look at the data? Can you do it without hacking? I've never tried it before.

ER... technically you -can- do it without hacking. I think it's only considered hacking if I change some of the values :p

It has to do with ROMs and emulators (at least, my method) so I cant go into detail :/

Macman
Jul 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
You CAN do it without hacking, but it's tedious, slow, and inaccurate.
The real method is to look into the game's data values and calculate it from hard data, not "took me X amount of [monster] to get [item]."

Chukie sue
Jul 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
You CAN do it without hacking, but it's tedious, slow, and inaccurate.
The real method is to look into the game's data values and calculate it from hard data, not "took me X amount of [monster] to get [item]."

^

If looking into the games data values count as hacking, then I guess I -am- doing it. I figured it only really qualified if I actually changed any of it... Though I think it'd be pretty cool to switch all BB drops to Akatsuki In's.

Macman
Jul 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
It technically does if you consider the term "Hacking INTO something"
But you aren't actually cheating by modifying it to your desires, so it's not really a moral stipulation.

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 03:25 PM
I see. Hmm.
Perhaps I should just buy another copy of PSZ just to play around with it.. Kekeke.

Macman
Jul 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
It's easier to just get an emulator and a ROM since those usually already have built-in tools for hex viewing.

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yea, I suppose you're right.. still.
Hmm..

Chukie sue
Jul 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Agreed.

Plus (IIRC) you need to purchase something to be able to hack into games via on your DS.

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've been doing some interwebs research. So yea.
My curiosity is piqued.

Chukie sue
Jul 1, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've been doing some interwebs research. So yea.
My curiosity is piqued.

Interwebz are awesome...

Ryouji
Jul 1, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hmm.. hopefully it shall arrive tomorrow, then I can go abouts testing the things I've found on the interwebs.

Edit:
And perhaps I can assist with coming up with Drop-rate charts~

Chukie sue
Jul 2, 2010, 11:54 AM
That would be ideal... I'm just lazy is all - perhaps with this topic's kick in the butt I might get around to it :/