PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Think PSP2 Will Last Very Long?

Red Ring
Jul 3, 2010, 04:19 AM
One of the biggest things I've always hated about Phantasy Star is that they keep making more and dumping the old. PSP feels pretty dated to me already and there was word about something interesting later this year for the Phantasy Star series which hinted at a new PSO inspired PS game. It's already mid into this year so do you think it's worth running through psp2 rather than waiting for some new game to hit home consoles being announced in a few months?

How is your experience right now with PSP2 JP? Lots of players? Good community? Having fun? Plenty to do for a long time? Or are you already done with it?

VorpalLord
Jul 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
One of the biggest things I've always hated about Phantasy Star is that they keep making more and dumping the old. PSP feels pretty dated to me already and there was word about something interesting later this year for the Phantasy Star series which hinted at a new PSO inspired PS game. It's already mid into this year so do you think it's worth running through psp2 rather than waiting for some new game to hit home consoles being announced in a few months?

How is your experience right now with PSP2 JP? Lots of players? Good community? Having fun? Plenty to do for a long time? Or are you already done with it?

PSO lasted 7 years and PSU is on its 4th, so they dont dump the old too quickly. PSP should feel dated its PSU on a smaller screen, PSP2 has sooooo many different new weapons and clothing that alone makes it worth getting. PSP2 has type customization, and dodge and block it adds tons more to how you fight. Ive been playing JP psp2 for 7-8 months and im still very excited to get US psp2. As for community, the chat in my sig is where most PSP2 players go check it out sometime.

Should you wait until Sega team announces a new PS title?..No <.< even it by some slim chance they do it will release in Japan first and the a ~year later here, like psp2.

~~Forgot to mention FREE ONLINE, get psp2 =)

johnwolf
Jul 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
you also forget that PSZ was also released, that game is indead PSO inspired

bscit
Jul 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
I played Psp1 for maybe 3 months. I quit early because i had no one to play with
because me bros hated the game and there was no infrastructure (and i had no xlink Kai).
I believe this game last for a year for me because it is much better than the original.

kongajinken
Jul 3, 2010, 04:01 PM
It gets updated frequently so far.

Krank32oz
Jul 3, 2010, 04:38 PM
Yea I wanted to play Ps Portable but then i found out that you cant even play it online which was upsetting. I cant wait for ps:p2 and I think its gona be amazing.

Fhin
Jul 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
[...] I think its gona be amazing.

Nonono....I will be amazing. ^^

GJARE
Jul 3, 2010, 06:42 PM

Ya thats the spirit, be confident :)

kongajinken
Jul 3, 2010, 06:49 PM

kudos

Fhin
Jul 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
oh lol....my bad... already to late here....I ment IT will be amazing. ^^;

Seth Astra
Jul 3, 2010, 11:26 PM
I hope it lasts long. I'm kinda getting a PSP almost exclusively for this game^^;. I don't want to waste over $200 on this. Apparently it will, according to what everyone's said, and it better be so.

Typestatic
Jul 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
I hope it lasts long. I'm kinda getting a PSP almost exclusively for this game^^;. I don't want to waste over $200 on this. Apparently it will, according to what everyone's said, and it better be so.

The on-line mode will definitely make it last long. Having a community to play with has it's benefits *looks at chat link*

The main problem that a majority of new PSP users will come across are the controls; it will take some time adjusting for long hours of play.

Other than that, nearly over 600 hours so far and I'd have to say it compares to the likes of a Monster Hunter game (big fan), oh snap did I just say that?

Yeah...

Seth Astra
Jul 4, 2010, 12:25 AM
@Typestatic: Well, if that's the case, then I guess it'll be good. (Big fan of MH Tri, only MH game I've played.) I actually play on getting the next MH game that comes out for PSP, since I'll have one.

ashley50
Jul 4, 2010, 12:38 AM
If you're getting a PSP just for a single game, it'll be better to spend it on something more useful.

Seth Astra
Jul 4, 2010, 01:04 AM
@ashley50: Yeah, I've been wondering about how good of a decision this is. However, I figure that there'll always be some more good games to find, so it will probably be worth it in the end.

kongajinken
Jul 4, 2010, 02:34 AM
FF7 crisis core is a good game if your looking for more. Plus FF7 is on the PSN now for download.

EvilMag
Jul 4, 2010, 03:13 AM
I'm getting a PSP for Xmas and there are a lot of games I want for it, PSP2 is included in that list.

Fhin
Jul 4, 2010, 07:17 AM
Plus FF7 is on the PSN now for download.

8 and 9 as well. ^^

Izuna
Jul 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
My issue with PSP2 was the huge advantage Bravers, and Casts get. In PSP2 it was easy to find the best options, and after level 70 or so (unlocking the super powerful C-grade items, and EX Traps) the game played more like PSU.

Lolitron
Jul 4, 2010, 06:50 PM
My issue with PSP2 was the huge advantage Bravers, and Casts get. In PSP2 it was easy to find the best options, and after level 70 or so (unlocking the super powerful C-grade items, and EX Traps) the game played more like PSU.

I know you know the following but this is more for the others.

For full party play, 4 Bravers is highly NOT recommended. Instead you'll want 3 HU's and 1 BR. For missions that forces the party to split, (HSM, maybe some others) you'll want 2HU's and 2BR's. The HU's drop traps for the BR's.

For solo play, there are a few missions where HU does better than BR, but not many. Keep in mind that a single EX Trap is more powerful than an SUV/Mirage Blast. Nanoblasts don't count since they are 90% fun and 10% useful.

As far as race goes, all races can play braver well, although I personally think Beast is the worst choice while Female Newman and Female Cast are the best choices. Newman vs Cast depends on the mission, and there are many missions a Newman Braver will outperform a Cast braver, vis versa as well.

PP is HUGE for Braver since most melee costs more for BR (lvl 21+ melee skills usually have lower PP costs than lvl 20 melee skills). Beasts not only have the worst PP, but their crappy ATA makes it so they cannot use twin handguns effectively for chaining (which is crucial). Do not underestimate Cast PP regen. Your PP should rarely be full during a difficult mission. This allows casts to easily use the most PP throughout a full mission.

Forces suck until you get end-game weapons which is very unfortunate. Even after they get end-game equipment you'll have a lot of difficulty keeping up with HU or BR. Rangers are pretty MEH since HU and BR can chain just as well as a ranger can and no one uses guns for damage.

A big reason why PSPo2 is unbalanced is the following concept. Unlike melee, guns and techs don't scale to chains as well as melee does. For example, lets take Blade Destruction vs Twin Handgun Charge shot on a single target.

All numbers are estimates to show the concept.

Off of a 2-chain:
Blade Destruction - 750x4 + 1000x4
Twin Handgun (with lvl 2 charge) - 800x4 + 550x4

Off of a 14-chain:
Blade Destrucion - 1500x4 + 2000x4 + 3500x4
Twin Handgun (with lvl 2 charge) - 1600x4 + 1600x4 + 1100x4

Blade Destruction not only does more damage to single targets in which Twin Handguns have the highest dps for a gun for a single target, but Blade Destrucion also hits 4 targets. Melee damage is also largely "rear loaded", where the last part of the PA does the most damage. This allows long chains to double the strongest part of the PA whereas guns will only allow you to do the same charge shot a couple more times.

TL;DR: Bravers are bomb for solo. Hunters and Bravers are good for online.

I plan to make an endgame tutorial for this game (mostly focused on Braver). Let me know if anyone would find it interesting or use it when they play PSPo2.

XenithFlare
Jul 4, 2010, 08:55 PM
If you're getting a PSP just for a single game, it'll be better to spend it on something more useful.

I feel like I should point out the scads of awesome games for the PSP :-P

Getting a PSP for a single game may be a bit foolish, but it's what you do with it afterwards that makes it worthwhile~

landman
Jul 5, 2010, 12:02 AM
There is usually one game that makes me buy a console, but after you get the console, you discover a lot other games you may like. Valkyria Chonicles 2 is released this summer, for those who don't know :P

Typestatic
Jul 5, 2010, 12:15 AM
Getting a PSP for a single game may be a bit foolish, but it's what you do with it afterwards that makes it worthwhile~

There is usually one game that makes me buy a console, but after you get the console, you discover a lot other games you may like.

You two are both right about that *hear hear*

Mike
Jul 5, 2010, 01:01 AM
The on-line mode will definitely make it last long. Having a community to play with has it's benefits *looks at chat link*

The main problem that a majority of new PSP users will come across are the controls; it will take some time adjusting for long hours of play.

Community is the key here. Without a community of friends (real or internet), you'll get bored faster.

As for the controls, I thought they were pretty easy to get used to. It's a little harder if you're making the switch from PSP1 though.

Fhin
Jul 5, 2010, 06:46 AM
I plan to make an endgame tutorial for this game (mostly focused on Braver). Let me know if anyone would find it interesting or use it when they play PSPo2.

Aye! ^^

SubstanceD
Jul 8, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hard to say. I imagine that PSP2 has better gameplay and more content than PSU ever had or will ever have but because it's on a handheld and not a home console ( or the pc ) it probably won't have that staying power that PSO or PSU did.

Lolitron
Jul 8, 2010, 08:04 AM
More content. This is true.

Better gameplay? Well this a matter of opinion. Although I play PSPo2 now, I do prefer PSU's gameplay.

Unfortunately, it is on a handheld, and as such handhelds simply do not have the processing power of a PC/PC3 (notice how I omitted Xbox 360 and PC2).

Izuna
Jul 8, 2010, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately, it is on a handheld, and as such handhelds simply do not have the processing power of a PC/PC3 (notice how I omitted Xbox 360 and PC2).

What do you mean by PC2/3, PlayStation?
And just to be sure, the PSP is far inferior to the PS2.

T_Esquire
Jul 8, 2010, 08:33 PM
Handhelds tend to be a couple generations behind the current so I'd equate the PSP to the PS1 than the PS2 (like how the DS is more akin to an N64, GBA the SNES and the GB the NES).

Izuna
Jul 8, 2010, 11:13 PM
Handhelds tend to be a couple generations behind the current so I'd equate the PSP to the PS1 than the PS2 (like how the DS is more akin to an N64, GBA the SNES and the GB the NES).

The PSP has similar picture quality to the PS1, but has much better processing power... it can emulate it.

EDIT: I hope I got it wrong and you weren't comparing graphical capabilities. The GB != NES, it was monochrome.

AzureBlaze
Jul 9, 2010, 01:11 AM
How long it lasts WILL DEPEND on:
How they handle the content updates. If they screw around and drop the ball like they did on psu for ps2/PC then NO the game's not going to last. If they strip it down and give us nothing and then don't bother with any of the events, it'll be another ps0. Fine for a while but you'll put it down after a month.

ps0 on DS got old for me.
It didn't last. I got pretty much all the stuff I wanted, did the missions, pestered around with friends but I was never driven to play it like I was PSU. It was a handheld too, you can't 'talk' on there like you can on a PC/console with typing so already the "community" factor is handicapped. The GAME has to make up for that, when that happens.

Psu2psp is _amazing_ in Japan.
If you watch their update threads on here, I mean:
More Bruce
More prizes
Weps released all the time
tons of new outfits
SIDE SCROLLING BEAT EM UP! (level)
Events like every other month

With all that stuff it's always going to feel fresh. If they keep it up it'll do nothing but last and last with loads of fans. If it's like that here, you'll have no worries. NOTHING like that is out in the USA that I know of, where it has the somewhat mmo-ish-ness, but then the updates keeping it fresh as well as battle mode and challenge too for when you get tired of playing 1 way, there's 2 other ways to play. I don't hear any 'baaw baaw white beast' coming out of it either, so clearly there are big draws for entertainment/lvl/prizes/etc.

Yes, I bought a PSP just for this game.
From what I heard it is totally a 100% smooth move. Then, as others say, you do discover games while you're waiting.

Typestatic
Jul 9, 2010, 01:27 AM
How long it lasts WILL DEPEND on:
How they handle the content updates. If they screw around and drop the ball like they did on psu for ps2/PC then NO the game's not going to last. If they strip it down and give us nothing and then don't bother with any of the events, it'll be another ps0. Fine for a while but you'll put it down after a month.

I still go back to PS Portable every now and then and it's still enjoyable for solo play, more fun with ad-hoc if I get to visit friends (highly unlikely nowadays) but again that's my opinion.

Even with/without DLC updates, there's still a lot to be done within game for PSPo2; Client orders (a few have extra dialogue scenes for specific characters), working on getting exchange mission items along with a seizure of S-Rank weapon farming.

It just depends how you play it and if you're willing to try out something new; whether it be a different class to what you play, time attacking free missions to collecting every title you can. Endless possibilities with the fun factor but it's best done with friends/others.

Silver_Wyrm
Jul 9, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm worried NA version will once again get a lack of dlc/patches/content/features/general support etc. Sega seems to always ignore us a lot...

With that said, if it looks like we get fair treatment, I'll switch over from the jp version to US version.

Izuna
Jul 9, 2010, 01:55 PM
Apart from micro-transactions, the only money they'll get from you is from your first purchase. If it sells well in the US, (like GTA or something), there's less of a reason for them to give it support in terms of PSP2 on its own.

kongajinken
Jul 9, 2010, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't it be more since it will be the only way to pay for the servers?

Izuna
Jul 9, 2010, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't it be more since it will be the only way to pay for the servers?

Ah, I forgot about the servers.
In actual fact, there must be a point where the number of players would get too high for them not making money back from keeping the servers going. Strange, I'm certain that they can't get their money back from just micro-transactions -- perhaps they're using server space that they used to use for PSU.

zombiemoshpit84
Jul 9, 2010, 10:38 PM
i myself will play this for al long time given they do give us at least a fair amout of dlc. im more interested in missions then clothing and wepons. if its completly ignored like psp1 i will most likely move on after i lvl cap a char or two.

kongajinken
Jul 10, 2010, 12:10 AM
Ah, I forgot about the servers.
In actual fact, there must be a point where the number of players would get too high for them not making money back from keeping the servers going. Strange, I'm certain that they can't get their money back from just micro-transactions -- perhaps they're using server space that they used to use for PSU.

If they're micro transation system didn't suck so much I'm sure they could make money. On most free to play micro transaction games I play, all I have to do is click a button at the bottom of the screen and look at all the stuff I could buy along with how they look on my character. Then just hit one more button press usually to bring up the menu to buy cash.

Izuna
Jul 10, 2010, 01:54 AM
If they're micro transation system didn't suck so much I'm sure they could make money. On most free to play micro transaction games I play, all I have to do is click a button at the bottom of the screen and look at all the stuff I could buy along with how they look on my character. Then just hit one more button press usually to bring up the menu to buy cash.

Guardian's cash was pretty much similar to how micro-transactions tend to work. If you could pay for things in game I'm sure more people would do so. I just left my PSU 360 sub running while I played PSP2; and now that I'm done with PSP2, I'm just waiting for their next game.

I hope something comes out from TGS.

Krank32oz
Jul 11, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thats funny you said you liked PSU better then the PSP version. Because I am the complete opposite. PSU is a fun game and I wish I liked it more to pay nine dollars a month on top of my 50 a year for xbox live. But the game doesnt do it for me like PSO for Dc and GC did. If it was free I would prob play it more but because PS: P2 is gona be free, well that just seals the deal for me right there. I cant wait for it to come out. I def think there will be a pretty big community.

Izuna
Jul 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Because I am the complete opposite. PSU is a fun game and I wish I liked it more to pay nine dollars a month on top of my 50 a year for xbox live.

I suppose... but you don't need a Gold account to play with your Guardian's License.

Krank32oz
Jul 11, 2010, 10:24 PM
That is true but I need a gold account to play all the other games I have. PSU should be free. I don't see why they charge so much honestly. They charge nine bucks and World of Warcraft charges 13 if you do the whole year. So for 4 more dollars I can get WAY more content and customization with a larger world and even gear and weapons. Where is the logic in that? I'm not saying people cant pay for it because they enjoy the game. All im saying is no one should be paying for it anymore in my opinion.

Izuna
Jul 12, 2010, 06:36 AM
That is true but I need a gold account to play all the other games I have. PSU should be free. I don't see why they charge so much honestly. They charge nine bucks and World of Warcraft charges 13 if you do the whole year. So for 4 more dollars I can get WAY more content and customization with a larger world and even gear and weapons. Where is the logic in that? I'm not saying people cant pay for it because they enjoy the game. All im saying is no one should be paying for it anymore in my opinion.

Sonic Team needs to make the money back; and the sort of people who invest shit loads of time into these games, are able to pay for it. Besides, if you're playing a game as large as PSU (debatable) you shouldn't need to play other games online =).

Krank32oz
Jul 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
Yea I used to be that way man. I wish I could still just play a few but as of lately Ive just been trying a bunch of new stuff which of course takes up a lot of time