PDA

View Full Version : PSO & PA

Mike
Jul 7, 2010, 07:33 PM
Tycho has some interesting things to say about PSO today.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/7/7/

I'm hesitant to guess how many hours we played Phantasy Star Online. Released when dial-up internet was still a thing that people did, you could tell immediately that you were engaged in something which was unmoored from linear time. Deep loot tables, omnipresent robo-pets, and weird crap like language-independent chat wrapped up in a singular look and accompanied by tremendous music. It was too beautiful. We didn't deserve it, and yet, there it was.

I can't really discern the difference between a "Multiplayer Action RPG" and a "Horde Mode," except to say that the second one is a less robust version of the first. In such an RPG, "playing against waves of AI Opponents" isn't an aberration, it's Tuesday. Also, every other day. You've played PSO, or you should have: how many times did you enter a discrete hunk of forest, only to have bipedal moles raise their claws skyward in defiance? I never got sick of it, it was always ridiculous, and their hilarious, wholly unfounded optimism never wore thin. Today, I couldn't tell you what the pertinent stats for a Phantasy Star Online character even are; just that they would dance o'erhead from time to time, swelling with their increase, and that it was enough.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 7, 2010, 10:36 PM
A good summary and look back.

Gotta wonder with continued support as with Japan Blue Burst, could he and others still be playing today.

Others took their time and put too many hours into the successor, PSUniverse, for all sorts of reasons, if not entirely the same.

-

Also entered the thread thinking it was about Photon Arts in PSO, then first few words, Tycho writing about PSO again?! (famous beat game at lv 1 FOrce master, PS game databases PSU Pedia guy)

LeoSan
Jul 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
I came late to PSO, but I still love the series, I think I'd share Tycho's toughts if I had the chance of playing it back then.

GreenArcher
Jul 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
I kind of wish I was a few years older so I didn't miss PSO v1/v2, and so I wasn't a complete idiot for half of PSOGC :wacko:

DChip
Jul 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
My friend got me into PSO last year... and yeah, we just played Blue Burst only an ammount of time, so I still don't understand the gameplay (have a DC version and EP3 by now).

I must say, that PSO it's the only online game that I really like; the multiplayer was cool, simple parties, and funny stuff made it epic.