PDA

View Full Version : I just have a question about which RANGER to choose on Phantasy Star Zero.

psz rocs!
Jul 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
What is better in PSZ? A RAmar or a RAcast? I havent got the game but I will sometime around Monday. I know my main guy will be a RANGER. All help is appreciated. :-?

Chaos Rappy
Jul 14, 2010, 11:03 PM
RAcast >>>>>>>>>>>>>(infinitely spanning)>>>>>>>>>>RAmar. RAmars just can't take hits, deal damage, or be very efficient Rangers at all... HUmars make better rangers than them. <_<

At least RAcast has power ALMOST near that of Hunters without having so much less HP that his HP is less than that of FOmars *coughRAmar*...

Galax
Jul 15, 2010, 08:27 AM
RAcast >>>>>>>>>>>>>(infinitely spanning)>>>>>>>>>>RAmar. RAmars just can't take hits, deal damage, or be very efficient Rangers at all... HUmars make better rangers than them. <_<

At least RAcast has power ALMOST near that of Hunters without having so much less HP that his HP is less than that of FOmars *coughRAmar*...

But is it REALLY about efficiency? It's a game. Games are meant for fun.

Chaos Rappy
Jul 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
I tried a RAmar and now a RAcaseal (recently gotten to level 100). RAcaseal is basically the same as RAcast, just with a little less damage output and a little less DEF, but higher accuracy, and I can say, with how BADLY the RAmar lacked in damage, the RAcaseal was simply more fun to play as... seriously, even at level 88, I could hardly get through the Dark Shrine on SH... because he could barely do 100 per hit on his most powerful guns, not even that most of the time, and anything bigger than small enemy-wise could almost one-shot him...<_<

Galax
Jul 15, 2010, 10:52 AM
I tried a RAmar and now a RAcaseal (recently gotten to level 100). RAcaseal is basically the same as RAcast, just with a little less damage output and a little less DEF, but higher accuracy, and I can say, with how BADLY the RAmar lacked in damage, the RAcaseal was simply more fun to play as... seriously, even at level 88, I could hardly get through the Dark Shrine on SH... because he could barely do 100 per hit on his most powerful guns, not even that most of the time, and anything bigger than small enemy-wise could almost one-shot him...<_<

Yes, I realize that, being a lv96 RAmar myself.
I love the challenge, however.
As of late, I've been spamming normal Makara in the search for the legendary Booma Nest...
SHOW UP ALREADY, GOD DAMNIT!

Krank32oz
Jul 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
Some people like myself like to have fun but having fun to me is doing the most damage and being the best. I would pick a RAcast as well. Tons of power and good HP like he said. Plus they dont look lame like the RAmars. This isnt the wild west!

psz roks!
Jul 15, 2010, 12:52 PM
I would go with RAmar...... even though they have lower stats (just a little) they can use more materials, and they look cooler. GO COWBOYS!! haha lol :-P

Krank32oz
Jul 15, 2010, 01:00 PM
I like them just without the cowboy hat lol

leviayurashyguy
Jul 15, 2010, 01:36 PM
RACAST beat RAmar in every stat except PP, EVP, and MST; all of which do not matter to a Ranger class

RAmar can use techs but you never want to use techs with a RAmar

Ever

Heat Trap>Foie

if you want the best Ranger, pick HUCAST

Macman
Jul 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
RAmar can use techs but you never want to use techs with a RAmarWhy does everyone underestimate the value of Jellen? :-?

Krank32oz
Jul 15, 2010, 02:30 PM
Lawl Heat trap is better then foie. That's just funny to me! I guess if you were a force tho foie would beat heat trap.

leviayurashyguy
Jul 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
Why does everyone underestimate the value of Jellen? :-?

Because Jellen has no place where the victory conditions are "Kill all Enemies" and enemies are killed several times faster than they are killing.

Jellen reduces mobs accuracy and damage, but Dead status reduces those stats to 0, and its permanent

Galax
Jul 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
Because Jellen has no place where the victory conditions are "Kill all Enemies" and enemies are killed several times faster than they are killing.

Jellen reduces mobs accuracy and damage, but Dead status reduces those stats to 0, and its permanent

But without jellen, RAmar is even more useless. They can actually survive a hit with jellen.

Now how about we stop saying "THIS CLASS IS BETTER" becasue it's all about preferance?

Macman
Jul 15, 2010, 04:16 PM

Jellen reduces mobs accuracy and damage, but Dead status reduces those stats to 0, and its permanentThe "kill all enemies" condition doesn't happen as fast when the slightest nudge causes you to go face-down on the floor.
Before you start going "suck less hurrrr" try doing all of SH ET without taking a single hit.

I don't know about you, but unless you NEED Zalure to hit things with high EVP, Jellen is a lot more useful since you can just attack with little concern about dodging attacks, thus killing things faster.

leviayurashyguy
Jul 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
damn, here i was thinking i was speaking to competant PSZ players.

RAmar DOES NOT hit the numbers RACAST does
Techs DO NOT make the RAmar hit RACAST numbers
Debuffs DO NOT make the RAmar hit RACAST numbers

the goal of the games is to kill things. but logically, every class in the game can do that otherwise SEGA would've made a really crappy game. however, some classes kill things FASTER, hence saving a good amount of trouble surviving and making the game significanly easier. RACAST does this to a greater extent than the RAmar. RACAST is BETTER than the RAmar.

alas, just because you play RAmar doesn't mean you suck, it means you need to try harder to kill things kinda as fast. casting crappy techs won't make your journey easier tho. they are just gimmicks to make you "unique" and not at all efficient.

pkrockin
Jul 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
I think the problems with a Ranger's Zalure/Jellen are:

1. You have to get close to cast it on groups.....but you're a gunslinger. Shouldn't you be staying away, especially considering how fragile RAmar & RAmarl are? I guess you can just do one at a time as you pick up a new target, but that slows down damage and uses a lot of PP that could otherwise be used for Restas and PAs.

2. A Force, level 3+ weapon, or level 2 weapon & Element Boost do them better.

3. Why bother with that when you can be a RAcast that compensates for a lack of Jellen with better survivability and a lack of Zalure with better damage and accuracy? He's got them BUILT IN.

3a. Robots are cooler than cowboys.

To address the earlier comment on Jellen's undervaluation, I'll say that it's not undervalued. Everyone's aware of how effective it is. It's just that it's not always useful. Yes, it's effective, but more effective than reducing enemy damage and accuracy is avoiding damage in the first place. And other times you just don't need to bother with it - like nearly every fight outside of bosses and "big" hostiles like Arkzeins.

Macman
Jul 15, 2010, 07:02 PM
This is the logic I hate and it's the same logic that made PSO overrun with RAmarls, HUcasts, RAcasts, and FOmarls.

Galax
Jul 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
Not everyone is out to be the fastest killer.
When most games get easy, they end up TOO easy.
When a game ends up TOO easy, it ends up boring.
When a game ends up boring, you stop playing it.
RAmar, fine, he's worse than RAcast.
IDGAF.
I use RAmar for two reasons:
1) I have been a RAmar since PSOXbox, as well as FOmar.
2) I like the challenge.

Also, you don't have to jellen everything. Just bigger monsters, especially boosted ones.
And, can we possibly TRY to remember, that games were meant for entertainment.

Yes, that's right, ENTERTAINMENT.

Not being the best possible hitter.
Not being the fastest killer.

But for fun.

Everyone seems to forget this, and this goes for all games.
If a game was about just killing fast...Well there's no game I know of that is about that, so I can't say much about that, other than it'd be boring as all hell.
It'd be like PS0 where the only character classes were the heavy hitters.
You wouldn't get the option to challenge yourself.

But alas, too many people WANT the game to just be about OWN OWN OWN KILL KILL KILL SHOOT SHOOT SLASH SLASH *monsters all die*
Can you imagine a game without challenge?

I'll admit, this is all from one point of view:

The gamer who thinks challenge = more fun.

If killing faster means you get more entertainment, then play whatever class makes the game easiest.

If CHALLENGE makes the game fun, like it does for me, then play the weaker classes.

pkrockin
Jul 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
For some people, the fun of a game is learning how it works and exploiting its weaknesses to mitigate its difficulty. I'm one of those people. I want to outsmart a game - to me, THAT'S entertainment. The challenge is learning and exploiting a system and when I complete that challenge, I have fun.

Yes, I can imagine games with no challenge. Chrono Trigger is a great example. I play that game probably once a year because it's so much fun. And each time I learn a new way of playing that makes me more efficient than before, even through New Game+ playthroughs. And it's fun every time, even though it provides no challenge whatsoever to me, even in a fresh playthrough. Other games like this would be Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Final Fantasy 4, Symphony of the Night, and Ocarina of Time. All games that I could probably beat one-handed but I keep playing them because they are crazy fun experiences.

legacytyphoon
Jul 15, 2010, 10:37 PM
Honestly, all the Ranger classes are quite good at what they do. You want to remember that you're going to be playing as this character for quite a while. So choose someone that you don't mind staring at the backside of for quite a long time.

Galax
Jul 16, 2010, 07:57 AM
For some people, the fun of a game is learning how it works and exploiting its weaknesses to mitigate its difficulty. I'm one of those people. I want to outsmart a game - to me, THAT'S entertainment. The challenge is learning and exploiting a system and when I complete that challenge, I have fun.

Yes, I can imagine games with no challenge. Chrono Trigger is a great example. I play that game probably once a year because it's so much fun. And each time I learn a new way of playing that makes me more efficient than before, even through New Game+ playthroughs. And it's fun every time, even though it provides no challenge whatsoever to me, even in a fresh playthrough. Other games like this would be Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Final Fantasy 4, Symphony of the Night, and Ocarina of Time. All games that I could probably beat one-handed but I keep playing them because they are crazy fun experiences.

True, and I myself just thought of some...
The Battle Network series.
Once you get the right battlechips, NOTHING is really...hard.
I have all 6 games, atleast one of 3, 4, 5, & 6, but they're really not challenging anymore.

But yes, I can see how you're able to make the argument you've made.
But can you see how I made mine? Not everyone is going to share your point of view on this. I'll admit, most likely alot will, but not everyone.

pkrockin
Jul 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
True, and I myself just thought of some...
The Battle Network series.
Once you get the right battlechips, NOTHING is really...hard.
I have all 6 games, atleast one of 3, 4, 5, & 6, but they're really not challenging anymore.

But yes, I can see how you're able to make the argument you've made.
But can you see how I made mine? Not everyone is going to share your point of view on this. I'll admit, most likely alot will, but not everyone.

Not really. It's pretty rare when I derive enjoyment from gimping myself.

*MASSIVE 'SPLOSION SENDS THREAD REELING BACK TO TOPIC*

I tried playing a RAmar who got all my first character's hand-me-downs, and it was still really tough. Not "wow, they've really worked to make this game challenging" tough, but more like "dang, they didn't think this guy's design through at all" tough. It was frustrating instead of challenging. Considering that RAmarl takes that to the extreme, I recommend RAcast. Maybe RAcaseal if you really like lady robots.

Galax
Jul 16, 2010, 09:48 AM
Not really. It's pretty rare when I derive enjoyment from gimping myself.

*MASSIVE 'SPLOSION SENDS THREAD REELING BACK TO TOPIC*

I tried playing a RAmar who got all my first character's hand-me-downs, and it was still really tough. Not "wow, they've really worked to make this game challenging" tough, but more like "dang, they didn't think this guy's design through at all" tough. It was frustrating instead of challenging. Considering that RAmarl takes that to the extreme, I recommend RAcast. Maybe RAcaseal if you really like lady robots.

That's how it was for me at the start of my RAmar, too.
But once I got by that, the challenge made it really fun.

Chaos Rappy
Jul 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
See, for me, the challenge I was all for for the most part... however, taking over 8 hours to do the HARD ET at around level 60 was just stupid to me... I can't imagine how long it would take for SH, even with a level 100 RAmar. <_<

psz rocs!
Jul 16, 2010, 11:33 AM
As a PSO player... having a really good hunter with no challenge is tiring... and now I see why the challenge would be fun. So, i've decided i'll be a RAmar. But im gonna think about it for a while and my thoughts might change.

Galax
Jul 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
See, for me, the challenge I was all for for the most part... however, taking over 8 hours to do the HARD ET at around level 60 was just stupid to me... I can't imagine how long it would take for SH, even with a level 100 RAmar. <_<

I was lv7x or something like that doing SH ET all the way through...
Took me 3+ days of seperate sittings to beat it all.
But I did it.

Macman
Jul 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
My first SH ET run was with a level 95 RAcast.
Took me about 9 hours.

ARChan
Jul 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Because of the increased material consumption, RAmar can be more flexible than a RAcast. This means RAmar can efficiently use even slicers if the player wants to be so silly about their growth. FOcast? Ever heard of FOmar? I admit it's fun to see a RAcast doing Funny Dive or Rodeo Drive but where's the efficiency with it? Also, I've read someone using Fire Traps over Foie as a reason to bash in RAmar. WTF, mate? Why would you even use Foie when you got other means to inflict a burn? An offense tech should not be used for its status effect but for its infliction, hence why it's called an OFFENSE tech.

Most RAcast players tend to prefer the Carabinier Armor and the Keplar Suit whereas most RAmar tend to prefer the Noble Cloak and the Keplar Suit. Seriously, I believe the Keplar Suit is more of a RAcast armor because of its sucky EVP in comparison to the Noble Cloak. If you're a RAcast wanting to use a Noble Cloak, you're making a big mistake.

RAcast usually have problems in Arca Plant because of their inability to dodge effectively. Arkzein and Humilias can prove to be problems. At least with RAmar, you have a much higher chance to dodge a fatal attack that RAcast have to roll out of the way for. What's the use of numbers if you can't deal enough of it?

An effective RAmar/marl player should not worry about the Aljellen/zalure unless they're willing to use it on a mass of them and then run away. Simply just use the basic form of it to apply it at a handgun range and continue shooting. For this case, I'd like a Zalure. If the enemies are bunching around you, use Aljellen and relocate. I honestly think that Zalure use as a RAmar/marl should be used more as its basic form so that you could maintain a far distance from your target and maintain shooting at the distance. Leave the Aljellen/zalure for the FO class, since a Lv 13+ practically covers most of the stage. Seriously, I think people are forgetting the basic forms of the support techs. It's time consuming. I should know.

@psz rocs!: I'm guessing you're prefering the RAmar or RAcast for the Keplar Suit and willing to hunt for those Missouri and Yasminkov to the ends of the earth. I prefer actually starting out with the underdog and stick with the RAmar. I admit that his Resta is poop in comparison to a RAmarl but at least you have some other means to heal when you want to buy some mates/star atomizers. When you finally get that damned Keplar Suit (very rare for a 4-slot) and at least an M14, H10, or RX4 Missouri, you can then switch to a RAcast. Trust me, it's going to take a while for the Keplar.

However, if you're just willing to pick either of them, there are the typical attitudes of players. There are two major groups: High Infliction and Effective Support.

1. Seeing as a majority of players want to find that glory in high damage infliction with bragging rights of speed runs, you might find solo runs easier. You're basically the blade, or the RAcast. You tend to laugh when you see a teammate die.

2. The minority find pride in keeping everyone alive and brag that support techs really do help the team. Because of this, team runs will be easier. You're basically the shield, or the RAmar. You tend to eye the HP of the team and try to find something to do about it.

If you feel the opposite for some reason, I believe you're in the wrong spot.

Galax
Jul 16, 2010, 07:29 PM
I just jellen the big guys/boosted enemies when I feel I cannot handle them otherwise.
But I don't use any techs other than anti, resta, and jellen as a RAmar.
I was once told "Jellen isn't effective"
I was thinking "Yeah, but when you're a RAmar running around without meatshield NPCs, you're gonna want it"
Anybody who underestimates the uses of jellen, really needs to play a RAmar/RAmarl and try to make it by without. The moment you cave and give in to jellen, see if you can remember how many runs of the higher up areas you've done.

PSZFann
Jul 16, 2010, 10:54 PM
i like RAcaseal lol >.<

knight200x
Jul 17, 2010, 05:14 AM
1. Seeing as a majority of players want to find that glory in high damage infliction with bragging rights of speed runs, you might find solo runs easier. You're basically the blade, or the RAcast. You tend to laugh when you see a teammate die.

2. The minority find pride in keeping everyone alive and brag that support techs really do help the team. Because of this, team runs will be easier. You're basically the shield, or the RAmar. You tend to eye the HP of the team and try to find something to do about it.

If you feel the opposite for some reason, I believe you're in the wrong spot.

thats correct , i agree with ARchan ! i believe that rangers are a support roles , IMO they should always support and cover hunters from the behinde-attacks of hostils... with this strategy the team run will be smoother , + add the things that ARChan said up there :)!
also , just get what you prefer if want to use techs get Ramar or Marl , want to concentrate on fire power get a Racast or caseal :D since theyv got high ATA.
Peace v .:-P

leviayurashyguy
Jul 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
i fail to see how RAmar must cast Jellen when RACAST who doesn't have access to Jellen and less EVP doesn't require it. FOmar who has similar defensive stats to RAmar can survive w/o his Jellen. its useless and unneeded

Missouri Combo yields Keplar suit with higher EVP than Noble Cloak

unless the user is fully spec'd in EVP, it won't save them in SH. anything that can potentially kill you, WILL kill you. why chance your life to a low percentage evasion when you can simply move out the way with the press of a button?

Arca Plant is the Anti-Ranger Zone, its a terrible example

RAmar using his techs isn't a supporting class, he's a crappy Force. if the RAmar wishes to "support," then he can use his horrendous heals between rooms in a futile attempt to save the Force "PP"

FYI: RAmar doesn't get a shield, RACAST does

Galax
Jul 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
i fail to see how RAmar must cast Jellen when RACAST who doesn't have access to Jellen and less EVP doesn't require it. FOmar who has similar defensive stats to RAmar can survive w/o his Jellen. its useless and unneeded

Missouri Combo yields Keplar suit with higher EVP than Noble Cloak

unless the user is fully spec'd in EVP, it won't save them in SH. anything that can potentially kill you, WILL kill you. why chance your life to a low percentage evasion when you can simply move out the way with the press of a button?

Arca Plant is the Anti-Ranger Zone, its a terrible example

RAmar using his techs isn't a supporting class, he's a crappy Force. if the RAmar wishes to "support," then he can use his horrendous heals between rooms in a futile attempt to save the Force "PP"

FYI: RAmar doesn't get a shield, RACAST does
It's something I don't have to do often, but I still have to, from time to time.
For instance: Enemy X can kill me in one shot with a critical or a higher end regular shot. I jellen them. They can no longer do one shots unless they get a higher end critical.
Enemy X for me, is typically Zap/Phobos and Zap/Phobos Dyna.
They can destroy me, but when I jellen them, I actually get see MISS pop up from them. I actually survive more than one or two hits.
I'll admit, the most amount I've survived is a good 4, almost five hits, but that gives me more time. Not to mention, I no longer use NPCs unless I'm in a quest. I'm also one of the people to notice less rares when I bring NPCs, but I won't get in to that here unless requested.

Also, if you must know...I use a Keplar Suit, and I sometimes use my CX4 Missouri as a joke, but it won't do the job for killing enemies. Too low ATA, even with the Keplar. I should just keep hunting for another Riverman or something...But I'm focusing ont my Booma Nest hunt when I play PS0 as of now.

Back on track, Jellen saved me more times than I can count.

Macman
Jul 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
Sorry, but from my experience enemy accuracy drops drastically when I cast Jellen. Outside of the shrine, enemies will hit about 30% less, those misses really matter IMO, especially when you can get caught off guard and get crit-missiled by those zeins.
I would think a RAmar that used his Jellen effectively would be much more durable than a RAcast with his inability to cast anything.
Of course, I'm speaking from experience from level 15 Jellen.

The_Pup
Jul 28, 2010, 03:28 AM
L10 Jellen is enough. If you get high enough EVP (Noble Cloak + 1-2 D/Swifts), you can dodge over 60% of attacks no problem, good enough for mele since you'll be charging up Jellen on the way there. And rangers whose sole purpose is using ranged attacks are stupid rangers (unless they have guns with %s to make up for the damage lost).

Problem with PS0 (as others who have said this before) is that Sega sucks at balancing games:
- Mele is overly powerful while guns are overly weak (exceptions are in PAs).
- FOrces.
- Enemies are too slow (counter PA use).
- Shields are OP and should've been given more nerfs (such as chip damage to HP and/or more PP chip damage).
- Rangers should've been given Shifta and Jellen, hunters should've been given blue Zalure and Deband (balances everything without messing with stats).
- Keplar shouldn't have been a sexist equip (still irks me as it leads into the next point).
- Sega never thought about what weapons to give to what classes.

leviayurashyguy: Don't compare FOs to any other class as they are OP. Hell, their buffs aren't even necessary unless using slicer builds. You can set a FO's ATP, ATA, DEF and EVP stats to 0 and they'd still be OP. They can also kill things from behind gaps.

FOs only need offensive spells and a weapon to give them MST. That's it. They don't need weapon percents unless using a magic mele.

Branse
Jul 28, 2010, 07:45 AM
In past online Phantasy Star titles, I would normally go with the 'Challenging' route in the Challenge vs. Power debate. I was a HUmar in PSO for the Dreamcast, so I took the same road for each release with the exception of PSU, deciding to be a Beast. You may be thinking, "Ok..HUmars can be pretty beast," well, I chose not to overdose on POW mats and constantly hunt duped TSUMAGARRY J-Sword or whatever the heck is was called. XD I was fine with my Revival Garment and Meteor Cudgel.

With Phantasy Star Zero.. it just feels like the online play and teamwork in general took a backseat. Almost every reviewer compares PS0 to PSO.. why? There aren't any buttons that have 2 or more people to stand on to open a door, there aren't multiple floors to a dungeon(exception of ET), animations and character models seem to reflect PSU more than PSO, and etc. I envisioned playing PSZ by myself for the most part.. which ended up being true, because dealing with friend codes is too much of a hastle for me and many others I imagine.

POINT being...

For me, I actually preferred going 'Power.' HUcasts and RAcasts have wicked good stats, are cool looking(rat-tail taunting cowboy humans.... really? Wow), and get the job done faster than most other classes from what I can tell. So.. since I don't have many hours to dedicate to ET runs and the fact that I don't have the time to find a party willing to get to the top, single player > multiplayer, and HUcast/RAcast > everyone. Just my opinion..

If you quote me and go into specifics.. well, let me make my point clear. I feel PSZ is just something fun to play on the side. I don't choose to talk indepthly about stats since the max level is only 100 and it's not something I could play for hundreds of hours like PSO or PSU.

Galax
Jul 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
In past online Phantasy Star titles, I would normally go with the 'Challenging' route in the Challenge vs. Power debate. I was a HUmar in PSO for the Dreamcast, so I took the same road for each release with the exception of PSU, deciding to be a Beast. You may be thinking, "Ok..HUmars can be pretty beast," well, I chose not to overdose on POW mats and constantly hunt duped TSUMAGARRY J-Sword or whatever the heck is was called. XD I was fine with my Revival Garment and Meteor Cudgel.

With Phantasy Star Zero.. it just feels like the online play and teamwork in general took a backseat. Almost every reviewer compares PS0 to PSO.. why? There aren't any buttons that have 2 or more people to stand on to open a door, there aren't multiple floors to a dungeon(exception of ET), animations and character models seem to reflect PSU more than PSO, and etc. I envisioned playing PSZ by myself for the most part.. which ended up being true, because dealing with friend codes is too much of a hastle for me and many others I imagine.

POINT being...

For me, I actually preferred going 'Power.' HUcasts and RAcasts have wicked good stats, are cool looking(rat-tail taunting cowboy humans.... really? Wow), and get the job done faster than most other classes from what I can tell. So.. since I don't have many hours to dedicate to ET runs and the fact that I don't have the time to find a party willing to get to the top, single player > multiplayer, and HUcast/RAcast > everyone. Just my opinion..

If you quote me and go into specifics.. well, let me make my point clear. I feel PSZ is just something fun to play on the side. I don't choose to talk indepthly about stats since the max level is only 100 and it's not something I could play for hundreds of hours like PSO or PSU.

/disagree
I've played for over a good 400-500 hours.

leviayurashyguy
Jul 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
until my FOmarl hits 1k Grants on enemies weak against it, it's no way near OP. Do you no HUCAST with Haden Bite Bite Stamp out damages FOnewearl Alice Olivia Magical Sign? that's horrible.

Techs is not the Forces greatest offense, PA spam is. Gimegid->Magical Sign kills mobs quicker than Rafoie/Razonde spam

HUCAST's recieve the benefits of being the best Hunter in the game AND access to the most powerful ranged weapons: Gunblade, Mechguns, and Rifle. they only get second best Mechguns but even then, they do more damage with Blackhawks than Rangers or FOmar do with Crimson Vis

Cire39
Aug 10, 2010, 05:54 AM
Everybody knows that, for the most part, FO>HU>RA.
The point of the GAME is to HAVE FUN! Pick the class you like and play the game. /discussion.
PSZ is a relatively easy game and thus doesn't need to be dissected mathematically.

If anything, the Phantasy Star Online franchise is more about hunting for cool and rare equips for your character. There are no megabosses or super difficult enemies and you can pretty much solo any boss on any difficulty with any character. If you aren't having fun, play something else.
Everybody has different preferences and everybody plays the game differently.
If you don't like a class, don't play it.

ARChan
Aug 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
Everybody knows that, for the most part, FO>HU>RA.
The point of the GAME is to HAVE FUN! Pick the class you like and play the game. /discussion.
PSZ is a relatively easy game and thus doesn't need to be dissected mathematically.

If anything, the Phantasy Star Online franchise is more about hunting for cool and rare equips for your character. There are no megabosses or super difficult enemies and you can pretty much solo any boss on any difficulty with any character. If you aren't having fun, play something else.
Everybody has different preferences and everybody plays the game differently.
If you don't like a class, don't play it.

I don't believe any char is better than the other in most games, but PSZ definitely does have these problems with the difficulty of the game being relatively easy in comparison to PSO. At least in PSOI&II, I actually saw a difference in which character does better in a certain stage. However, it seems like the RA is the most difficult to use in PSZ due to:

1. PSO's extra attack effects being enabled in the normal attacks (RAs were the effect masters of PSO, and having all the other classes with easy access to these makes them less unique)
2. An extreme lack of ATP and considerably low ATA (PSO's RA class didn't miss as much as PSZ's RAs)
3. Bullet resistance in most of the stages of PSZ (PSO was already hard as it was even with an even blade and bullet resistance. Darned megid users >.<)
4. Lack of a Shot weapon class (makes RAs easily overwhelmed with even 3 enemies)
5. Enemies guarding canyon shots (seriously, these things made PSO's RAs more effective and it doesn't make sense that a slicer can hit the enemies without guards)
6. Considerably less attack range of ranged weapons (The rifles of PSO were REALLY sniper worthy)

But I'm quite sure all the PSO veterans are all aware of this.

Broken_L_button
Aug 11, 2010, 01:34 PM
...Well, don't worry, for I shall show you the absolute BEST method to help you choose a ranger! Here it is:

1- Find a coin. Any coin with the official mineral composition and the proper weigh shall do.

2- Flip said coin in the air.

3- Catch the coin.

4- Look on which face it landed:
-if it's heads, your ranger shall be human
-if it's tails, your ranger shall be a Cast

5- Repeat steps 2 and 3.

6- Look on which face it landed:
-if it's heads, your ranger shall be female
-if it's tails, your ranger shall be a male

Now, if that didn't work, I'd say you're too darn picky for yer own good boy!

And also...

This is the logic I hate and it's the same logic that made PSO overrun with RAmarls, HUcasts, RAcasts, and FOmarls.

I shall humbly await the glorious return of the Sephiroth HUmars.

chibiLegolas
Aug 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
thats correct , i agree with ARchan ! i believe that rangers are a support roles , IMO they should always support and cover hunters from the behinde-attacks of hostils... with this strategy the team run will be smoother , + add the things that ARChan said up there :)!
also , just get what you prefer if want to use techs get Ramar or Marl , want to concentrate on fire power get a Racast or caseal :D since theyv got high ATA.
Peace v .:-P

Agree. I mainly use my RAmar for online mode only and use him for support by either:
Debuff the tough enemies
Mine Sweep (rifle PA) mobs to soften them up and let the FO or HU finish them.
Anti when needed.
Back-up resta. With slicers equiped, I can heal RA and FO's just fine. Granted, I'll have to cast resta 2x for HU. Leaving the debuffs for FO's to use seems like a waste since their PP could be better used just inflicting damage. (not to mention there's not enough button slots for FO's to waste on debuffs).

Using my RAmar offline really is a challenge, but what's fun for me is using him AS a support role. That, and I love his little civil war hat. :)

pikachief
Aug 12, 2010, 12:29 AM
Aww Ramar's arent good? lol lame I just spent the last like 15 hours playing my Ramar thinkin i was doing great and I come here and find they arent that strong at all? D: lol well when i finally finish this blasted tower I guess I'll just go make a techer :P lol

Vintasticvin
Aug 12, 2010, 01:52 AM
I like the look of RAmar but Looooove the Awesome tank like fire power and defense of Racast O_O All hail the Newmcast!!!!!!

zeital
Aug 12, 2010, 03:27 AM
if there was a RAnewm i'ld say go for that but alas there isn't, i have a RAcaseal she is very fun to play with and imo looks better then RAcast, but if the choice was between human or cast i wouldn't even think twice about picking a cast, cuz quite frankly i think the human classes suck in every way

plus

for online, most of the time u are going to be running with at lest one FO, which has lv 15 techs, the most useful being shifta and zalure, which most use, and offline stuff is easier to kill in the 1st place so u wont need techs for offline

Galax
Aug 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
I love how people seem to think that any class other than FO/a good sub for a FO is going to use anything other than support techs. I just love it. HUne can do it well enough, but anyone who may even THINK about teching on a RAmar other than with a joke build (such as my Guntecher build, that was a joke build to allow RAmar/marls to tech), is just...meh, kind a stupid.

Also, about support techs...
Not every FO has lv15 techs by the time they go online. I'm lacking a couple on my FOmar, and one of them I do believe is Zalure, it's like lv12 or something. And, incase anyone says "you can trade for them", not everyone trades. Not everyone has good friends who will give them lv10 or 15 techs. No, not everyone. An assumption that is incorrect.
I know that MOST of the time, FOs do have lv15 of what matters.
But not always.

zeital
Aug 12, 2010, 06:45 PM
^ thats y i said most do, i know not all use lv 15 if they are new and don't have many things but that comes with time like everything in this game XD

ARChan
Aug 12, 2010, 07:05 PM
...Well, don't worry, for I shall show you the absolute BEST method to help you choose a ranger! Here it is:

1- Find a coin. Any coin with the official mineral composition and the proper weigh shall do.

2- Flip said coin in the air.

3- Catch the coin.

4- Look on which face it landed:
-if it's heads, your ranger shall be human
-if it's tails, your ranger shall be a Cast

5- Repeat steps 2 and 3.

6- Look on which face it landed:
-if it's heads, your ranger shall be female
-if it's tails, your ranger shall be a male

Now, if that didn't work, I'd say you're too darn picky for yer own good boy!

And also...

I shall humbly await the glorious return of the Sephiroth HUmars.

Can't go wrong with this method ^_^ If you don't like it... uh... -pulls out a box and hides in it-

Also, I'm finding a small amount of people who have a RAmarl ^^;