PDA

View Full Version : Hi. New to Phantasy Star.

Torlog
Jul 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone!

I recently bought Phantasy Star Zero, which is my first PS game appart from PS Portable (which I haven't played much).

I have my lvl 32 FOmar and a lvl 14 RAmar (which I have just used on wi-fi. Now I've read that he is useless compared to RAcast). I'm about to start the mission of the final boss with my FOmar, and I've played with him quite a bit on wi-fi free play.

I'm loving this game. I just find it a little repetitive with all that "go to a new room, kill everythig; go to a new room, kill everything...". And I don't understand anything about the mag system. I just feed mine with every caster weapon I find, but I haven't seen any changes in ages.

BTW, I'm Spanish, so I beg your perdon if you find too many grammar mistakes.

So, that's me.
I would love to play this game with you people. I count on you to answer any possible question I have.
My friend code is 0174-5592-8615, for anyone interested.

See you soon!

Cynara
Jul 15, 2010, 12:00 PM
Oh hey!

Your PS repertoire looks pretty similar to mine. =)
I'd suggest that you don't care too much about the usefulness of the different classes as long as you enjoy playing with them - not that I know what I am talking about, since I am not much further than you with PSZ.

I was confused about the Mags too, but PSOW's Mag Section helped a lot. The different mag types are listed there, as well as their Photon Blasts, natures and explanations for nearly everything. Maybe you could have a look there.

Would be nice to play with you sometimes. ^^

Galax
Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM
As a lv96 RAmar myself, I can guarentee you that your RAmar will be a challenge.
And Cynara is right, it doesn't matter if you're effective or not, so long as you have fun doing what you do, playing as who you play as. I've had a long, rough journey as a RAmar, but it's always been fun. The challenge helps the fun along, too, but not always...Boosted Zaphobos Dyna on SH, for instance, will totally own you if you're not careful. I was cocky with one, once...Got own'd so fast, it was funny, after I was over the WTF! moments.

I wish you luck!

Krank32oz
Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 PM
Welcome dude. Hope you have some fun online. Its really a cool game and its prob the closest thing to the older games which I like a lot. You should definitely get the new PS: P2 when it comes out in Sept. It will have online which will make it a thousand times better! Add my friend code and hit me up. Lets play!

Ranmaru
Jul 15, 2010, 12:33 PM
Add me too. I'll play with you sometime this week. :p

psz rocs!
Jul 15, 2010, 01:01 PM
And me too... oh wait, i dont have it........

Krank32oz
Jul 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
Are you getting it? Or do you play other PS games?

Ranmaru
Jul 16, 2010, 09:21 AM
Yes it seems he will be getting it within the week. : D

Torlog
Jul 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
I finally beat the final boss (o normal mode) with my level 37 FOmar. It was easy.
I feel quite odd when playing with that character. I only use weapons to deal damage, and never bother to use magic. I hit stronger with spells, but the energy cost is not really worth it. So, I just play as a hunter with the exception of healings, which are really cool. I don't need healing items thanks to that hight MST attribute.

Am I doing something wrong? Because I feel stupid playing a FOmar in hunter playstyle.

Mana Eterni
Jul 17, 2010, 09:18 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It all depends on how YOU want to play.

Torlog
Aug 3, 2010, 04:29 AM
I have a question about my RAmar:

He's level 19, and I'm doing the fourth stage (I can't remember the name. Itīs the one right after the Valley, the Snowlands and the Wetlands). The problem is that my hits do very little damage, just arround 15-20. Actually I think my FOmar dealt more damage when hitting with a rod.

I have been feeding my mag only with ranger weapons, so that I rise my ATA (I hate missing so much. Now I never miss any hit).

But I've been wondering... Should I feed my mag with melee weapons so that I rise my ATP? I'm not sure if that would work with ranged weapons or only it does with melees.

I need to increase the damage my RAmar deals. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

zeital
Aug 3, 2010, 06:51 AM
welcome ^^ feel free to join the MSN Zero, the fastest way to make a bunch of friends that play PSZ daily, also faster looking for a party then in forums or freeplay

link to the thread is in my sig XD

Cynara
Aug 3, 2010, 08:03 AM
But I've been wondering... Should I feed my mag with melee weapons so that I rise my ATP? I'm not sure if that would work with ranged weapons or only it does with melees.

I need to increase the damage my RAmar deals. What should I do?

Well, it is a matter of taste I think. With ATA alone you'll probably never miss, but killing enemys still takes forever. I could imagine that an ATP mag is very useful especially for RAmars (though I never played one myself), but you could also combine or raise multiple mags. By the way, there is a Thread named "The unofficial build thread" with a nice build for RAmarls and RAmars by GalaxTheWanderer I think.
Ranged weapons doesn't increase power though.

steaIth
Aug 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
for rangers, just feed your mag melee weapons. you have enough ata already.

Galax
Aug 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
for rangers, just feed your mag melee weapons. you have enough ata already.

You overestimate RAmar ATA at lower levels.

icbat
Aug 3, 2010, 01:16 PM
On my RAmar, I raised my first mag with all Hit as I read here on PSOW that you'll get more from Power/Mind material than from Hit material. Power/mind material gets modified by Shifta where your mag's stats won't (source (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171664)).

However, from what I understand, even on Super Hard, most of your ATA/Hit will come from your leveling up or from your weapon. If you're looking for efficiency, some Hit would probably be nice (pure speculation there), but you'll spend most of your time killing tiny monsters that you can hit most of the time, so Power/Mind are generally more effective (speculation mixed with something I was reading yesterday on the GameFaqs forum, something from Chaos00 I believe). I got a new mag, and raise it with only melee weapons (all Power), and I like this much better; I feel I can kill more quickly now. Whether or not I would've preferred this from the start, I don't know. I switched about level 30 or so.

As the actual chance-to-hit equation is unknown (to my knowledge), there's no real concrete (known) number of ATA you should be aiming for, although I hear estimates of around 520-540 for Super Hard, something achievable entirely by a good weapon and a high character level. That being said, a lot of this game (as long as we don't know the formulas) is reacting to how you feel. You clearly feel like you're not hitting hard enough, so start raising your Power stat (pun intended)! Get power materials and slots if you need to, it's often quicker/cheaper than raising your mag, at least in the short-term.

TL;DR: I prefer an all Power route on my RAmar, and after some digging into the numbers see no reason not to.

steaIth
Aug 3, 2010, 05:16 PM
You overestimate RAmar ATA at lower levels.
on my racast, the only trouble i had was the first time on hard mode, although racast gets more ata then ramar, so i guess you should have maybe about 10-15 hit on your mag. then again, i was more for dealing more damage, and less for always hitting it.

pkrockin
Aug 3, 2010, 06:15 PM
If you have the Zalure technique, use it. It will lower your targets' dodge chance.