PDA

View Full Version : PS II vs. PS IV

Gibdozer
Jul 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
Well I recently purchased the Genesis collection for my psp. I had played and beaten both games years ago (I'm 33), but this time I did them simultaneously. These games are both fantastic, and really represent the pinnacle of the 16-bit rpg(at least imo).

That being said I feel that Phantasy Star II is the superior game. I will immediately concede that virtually everything about the combat system in PS IV is superior to that of its predecessor! No denying that macros, skills, and combos create a more fluid fighting experience, but offense isn't everything.

PS II is a hard game. The dungeons are intricate and inspired, the enemies are frequent and powerful, and exp/meseta is earned never given. While PS IV showcases the advancement of the series technological, PS II presents a much more enigmatic experience.

Everything in PS II feels more epic from the death of Nei to the showdown with Motherbrain, Alys and the Profound Darkness pale in comparison. Don't even get me started on the endings and soundtrack! I know that this is often a heated debate among fans, and I'd enjoy hearing your opinions.

This should go without saying but from past experience with this site I know it can't, to have a valid opinion on this subject you must have played both of the games in question.

Drac_Mazoku
Jul 20, 2010, 01:11 AM
From a technical standpoint, PSIV is the superior game, and easier for the casual gamer, so it will win for most people

On a pure story standpoint and challenge, PSII win hand-down. The feeling of solitude and depression in this game makes it feel like a Greek Tragedy in a Space Opera setting

But for me, I go against all tides, and still like PSIII the best because of its incredible plot twist and its atmosphere...even if its the most flawed game in the series. Since it's not in the option, I guess my vote is void as I like both PSII and PSIV equally

Anyway, currently playing my second playthrough of the Generation remake of PSII, and they managed to make the remake even harder than the original, something we dont see much in this day and age....

voodlar
Jul 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
No doubt about it. PSII is simply my favorite game I've ever played. I will not rip on PSIII or PSIV because I enjoyed all 3 thoroughly on my Genesis. It still functions and I still play those games every so often when I'm up my cottage in the summer. I confess that I missed PSI. :-( I never bought the Master System or the adaptor to play its games on the Genesis.

I agree with all the positives that both of you pointed out about the PS series. But PSII is probably the sole reason I even got into rpgs and related stuff. In fact, seeing my buddy struggle through it caused me to buy my own Genesis way back then! I think I paid Toys 'R' Us $74 dollars for the PSII cartridge ?????

You got it right-- it's the "feeling" and the gloom in PSII that does it for me. And when you accomplish something or level up, you definitely earned it. The first 2 dungeons can wipe you out quickly! Menobe is worse. No matter how tough you think you are when you get there, the Shadows on the 4th floor will remind you that you're not.

In PSIII, I like the confined 7-zone world plus moons that the three stories take place in. And the generations thing was cool too.

PSIV had the eye candy and the advanced fighting. If you played it hard enough, there were actually were some "rare drops" from certain creatures that your party members could indeed use. The vehicle thing was a bit cheesy but acceptable.

I still cannot criticize any aspect of these games when I account for how many hours of entertainment they've given me (and still do).

But PSII is my final pick for the best of the best.

Oh yeah: In PSIII: did anyone actually ever encounter a Swivlbot, Twistbot, or Rotabot?? (an enemy and its 2 reskins which I have never encountered--they are in the creature index of the hintbook)

Seth Astra
Jul 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wait... There's a collection of the origional PS games for the PSP? Then I just might have to get that.

Gibdozer
Jul 29, 2010, 08:36 AM
Its just a port of the Sega Genesis collection available on all systems(although I like it best on psp) it has II, III, IV sadly if you want PS I you will need an emulator, the Master system copy, or the GBA Phantasy Star collection.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 7, 2010, 09:51 AM
Personally I think PS4 was just a better play experience. The story was told better through the use of manga and Alys's death had just as much impact as Nei. Nei's death came swiftly and it felt like a drive by shooting. Alys you had no idea if she was going to survive and she eventually went a few hours later. I'm split in terms of music, especially when you consider the instrumentation change they made crossing to the west for PS2. Loud beats were changed to muted beats

I'll never understand why PS3 is considered the worst. If anything I'd say that goes to Phantasy Star Adventure. It does nothing to advance the main storyline from what I can see. At least with Gaiden you get an Epilogue of sorts for PS1 and the PS2 Text Adventures give back story to the characters in PS2. PS3 still advances the story albeit after PD is already dead.

Seth Astra
Aug 7, 2010, 11:00 AM
@Gibdozer: Well, I already downloaded PS I for my Wii, so I'm set, I suppose.

DoctorQuark
Aug 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
Alys was enough reason for me to like PSIV a lot (I'm mostly joking :P ). I could sit here and give reasons as to which I like more, but that would probably take me a while... I think I'm probably partial to IV.

TsubasaJ
Oct 7, 2010, 03:55 PM
Don't get me wrong. I was there day 1 for PS2, but after experiencing PS4 when it came out (after I actually enjoyed PS3...go figure) I was BLOWN AWAY. Not just the graphical upgrades, but the easier interface tweeks, the larger story, the greater personality from the characters.

PS2 is a classic and a fun game, but PS4 just had so much more personality.

cristfc
Oct 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
well, ps4 got complex and improved gameplay/graphics, but my vote goes to PS2 -classic factor/awesome music/storyline- which made later PS games take reference anything from PS2.

thanks to PS2, we had a lot of "Nei" on PSOs lobbies =P

Yoz
Oct 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
Phantasy Star II is Best!

Powder Keg
Oct 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
PSIV...no contest. PSII is slower paced, which is a huge minus already (in battle, moving around, etc.) Very bland enviornments, limited dialogue, humor....I could go on. A remake of PSII (like Japan had) could change my mind. The only thing that II has over IV for me is the difficulty....but I feel like falling asleep when trying to progress in the game because of how sloowww everything is.

If you haven't noticed already, slow paced battles/gameplay are a big time no-no for me.

Crazyleo
Oct 22, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have to say PSIV for me. When I play an RPG, the thing I most look forward too is how the story is presented. Don't get me wrong though, PSII is a great game in its own right, but between the two, IV wins hands down.

chaoelite
Oct 29, 2010, 08:06 PM
I voted PSIV the long ass cs at Rykros is the sealer to the deal for me along with the sound test option.

I <3 Nei and Rika equally i made em both on PSO xD

Kurosu
Nov 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
PSII, because this game was actually hard to me when I played it (but I was quite young), and I liked the mindless grinding and the confusing multi floor dungeons.
Although PSIV had a better presentation overall, I liked PSII's grim atmosphere.

Maybe I should dig out these games sometime, I have the GBA PS collection cartridge somewhere and possibly a working GBA, but that doesn't even have PSIV on it now that I think of it.
Kind of ridiculous to leave out the installment that many people consider the best in the series, surely a lot of people refrained from buying it because of that reason.
Another one of SEGA's magical choices I guess.

The first time I played PSII was on the Mega Drive though, so I bought the cartridge for nostalgia reasons when I saw it was released, even though I never really played it much.
PS1 on it was a bit too retro for me, and I didn't even have the patience to get past the first dungeon in PSII again, lol. :)
PSIII on it didn't seem all that good either, but I only checked out the beginning part and it didn't draw me in.

Zorafim
Nov 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
I'm going to have to go with PSIV. It was just a more playable game. The difficulty was just perfect for me, the pacing was swift, the story was clearly told... It's basically a game I can sit down and play and enjoy, without being frustrated with having to grind or deaths I can't avoid. I do love PSII, but I'd have to actually set down time and effort to play it start to finish.

Roger Triton
Nov 25, 2010, 10:40 PM
I will say that I did not play PSII all the way through (there are tons of videos on YouTube to watch it though. And a speedrun!). I did play PSIV all the way through atleast once, and played it a bit here & there several more times.

PSII is more a jRPG in terms of difficulty in comparison to DDS (Digital Devil Saga) series. Tough games! Persona, on the other hand, is easier.

PSIII was IMHO an abortion LOL so I'm lucky you didn't mention it ;)

Oh did anyone pay the $80+ cover charge for PSIV when it came out? I remember it in the game store for so long, it was the last copy & yes $80+ for just one game.

Drac_Mazoku
Nov 26, 2010, 08:26 AM
Well, I paid 130$ for my Sealed copy of Phantasy Star IV a few months ago at least :)

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Well I recently purchased the Genesis collection for my psp. I had played and beaten both games years ago (I'm 33), but this time I did them simultaneously. These games are both fantastic, and really represent the pinnacle of the 16-bit rpg(at least imo).

That being said I feel that Phantasy Star II is the superior game. I will immediately concede that virtually everything about the combat system in PS IV is superior to that of its predecessor! No denying that macros, skills, and combos create a more fluid fighting experience, but offense isn't everything.

PS II is a hard game. The dungeons are intricate and inspired, the enemies are frequent and powerful, and exp/meseta is earned never given. While PS IV showcases the advancement of the series technological, PS II presents a much more enigmatic experience.

Everything in PS II feels more epic from the death of Nei to the showdown with Motherbrain, Alys and the Profound Darkness pale in comparison. Don't even get me started on the endings and soundtrack! I know that this is often a heated debate among fans, and I'd enjoy hearing your opinions.

This should go without saying but from past experience with this site I know it can't, to have a valid opinion on this subject you must have played both of the games in question.

Aside from the difficulty & endings, I feel PS4 is superior to PS2. If there ever was a remake of an 'offline' PStar game though, it should be #2. Just because I think they could graphically shoot it past PS4. And add a lot of side areas & story to kind of like it back to PSO2. That is a side topic for another thread...

Drac_Mazoku
Dec 13, 2010, 08:36 AM
Well, granted we didnt got it in America, there's already a remake of the second game in Japan. It was a low budget title, but it was a very well made remake that didnt kill the spirit of the original (except for Nei's ears).

Strauss
Dec 14, 2010, 02:17 AM
PSIV for me. It kinda had that charm that the other games didn't quite have. Plus, it has Wren and Demi. :D

In terms of PSII, when I first played it as a kid, I got lost in the first dungeon due to the ludicrous "rafters" layer covering the entire place. Didn't really have the patience to play it until recent years. Downer ending also turned me off from it, but it's still a great game nonetheless.

8bitBass
Dec 17, 2010, 04:57 PM
I would say II for me as I have played it through 6-7 times. Where as 4 looked great and had a great story, I think people are on to something about the gloomy feel of part 2 as well as the music. ( I even recorded a cover of the final battle theme "DeathPlace" with more robust drums and electric guitars and bass)

There is just something that I find compelling about 2 that I didn't with 4, also the "blasters" enemy in the 2nd Dungeon (NIDO) in part 2 destroyed 2 hours of work more than once for me. cheap ass mofos.

pionear
Jun 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
For me and nostalgia wise, it's gotta be PSII...It was the first major RPG I've played thru and beaten...and the story, atomsphere and characters were better.

PSIV is, technically, the better game in terms of combat system, graphics, and cutscenes. But it was a bit easier than PSII.

It kinda like comparing The Revenge of Shinobi to Shinobi III.

Bragatyr
Jun 3, 2011, 05:06 PM
I have to say PS II as well. I think IV is the better game, ultimately, but I prefer II because of the aforementioned darker elements, the much better music, and the sense of mystery. II is a much more serious game, although it completely frustrated me with the insane dungeons.

I really liked Nei as a character, along with Neifirst, and the whole Mother Brain plot was one of the more compelling and coherent ones in the series. II had flaws, for sure, but it has a lot more gravity, especially for its time.

I'd probably still be more likely to play IV, though. It's a complicated situation!

pionear
Jun 4, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have to say PS II as well. I think IV is the better game, ultimately, but I prefer II because of the aforementioned darker elements, the much better music, and the sense of mystery. II is a much more serious game, although it completely frustrated me with the insane dungeons.

I really liked Nei as a character, along with Neifirst, and the whole Mother Brain plot was one of the more compelling and coherent ones in the series. II had flaws, for sure, but it has a lot more gravity, especially for its time.

I'd probably still be more likely to play IV, though. It's a complicated situation!

Yeah, I forgot about the Music in PSII...really epic...I used to luv going to Ustvestia to listen thru the tunes!

I really think PSII is probably one of the most underrated RPG's of all time.

Lady Nadia
Jun 5, 2011, 12:27 AM
ps2 had a much higher challenge rating and i actually had to focus n pay attention to what i was doing and especially where i was going so as far as game play ima have to go for that 1. ps4 i loved how they did the cs and such but the game just seemed way too easy and mindless. PS4s soundtrack was also superior imho.. its hard to put 1 above overall tho they both had things better than the other. overall tho ima say ps4 just cuz id have the patience to play it again. i dont think i culd replay ps2.