PDA

View Full Version : Video Avatar: The Legend of Korra for 2011

Kairi_Li
Jul 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/kairi_li/Signatures/legend_of_korra_large-500x333.jpg

Source:
racebending: Avatar: The Legend of Korra... 2011! (http://community.livejournal.com/racebending/269354.html)

Nickelodeon has announced a new series from the creators of cartoon epic “Avatar: The Last Airbender.”

The new show from Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko has the working title of “The Legend of Korra” and will premiere on Nickelodeon in 2011.

The world of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” is one in which there are four nations–Air, Water, Earth and Fire–each with “benders” capable of controlling the elements. In the first series, a young airbender named Aang is revealed to be the Avatar, someone capable of manipulating all four elements, and prophesied to help save the world. “Avatar: The Last Airbender” debuted on Nickelodeon in 2005 and aired for three seasons.

Nickelodeon said in a release that “The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.”

With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

'Avatar: The Last Airbender': Nickelodeon Greenlights TV Spinoff 'The Legend of Korra' - Speakeasy - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/avatar-the-last-airbender-nickelodeon-greenlights-tv-sequel-the-legend-of-korra/)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-greenlights-new-series-from-the-creators-of-the-animated-television-hit-avatar-the-last-airbender-98925659.html

Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' sequel for 2011

LOS ANGELES — A sequel to Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is in the works.

The channel said Wednesday the new animated TV series will premiere in 2011. It has the working title, "The Legend of Korra."

Nickelodeon says the series will build on the "mythology" of the original "The Last Airbender" series, which inspired this summer's live-action movie from filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.

The "Legend of Korra" is from the creator-producers of "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

Nickelodeon executive Brown Johnson says the new series will focus on a teenage girl avatar named Korra. Brown describes her as hotheaded, independent and "ready to take on the world."

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" has ranked among the highest-rate series on the Nickelodeon and Nicktoons channels.

The Associated Press: Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' sequel for 2011 (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hbTT0HDUdgI8sCe4d8eMDKmUBzoAD9H3C6O00)

This piece of news really rejuvenated me regarding the series, especially after that horrible live action movie.

Hopefully Comic Con will have a trailer of some sorts.

Also, get the artbook Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Art of the Animated Series)

If you want serious behind the scenes info straight from Mike and Bryan, get the animated series artbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Art-Animated/dp/1595825045

It is worth it. The incredible amounts of research and thought process written in here is wonderful. This is one of the best making of artbooks I have ever seen, and I also collected all the Lord of the Ring Movie ones, and the Batman Animated Series book as well.

Outrider
Jul 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not embarrassed to admit that I'm looking forward to this. I should be, but I'm not.

(Turning what was a wonderfully self-contained series into an ongoing media franchise that potentially won't die makes me less happy, but that's how it goes sometimes.)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 21, 2010, 05:18 PM
The new show from Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko has the working title of “The Legend of Korra” and will premiere on Nickelodeon in 2011.
Seeing one of those special features about them "reenacting" some momo scenes, you'd think these guys were goofballs.

But I guess since its Nickelodeon on the DVD box, we don't get any semblance of serious making of, production meetings round table discussion, how the creators envisioned some plots or major themes.

Or choreography from old sensei dudes. XBOX Marketplace had a short 1 minute one of that. Such a tease.

-

70 years later sounding like a Lunar/Chrono Trigger sequel, but hopefully used better or used just enough so its not a major every show distraction.

Korra better have the battle cry: "Kora-ora-ora-ora!"

I mean, even Jamaicans like Billy Blanks Tae-Bo styled Street Fighter Dee Jay do that now, with double the wrong voice actors cast! Blonde flamey punch Ken always has, but I guess he was speaking nihongo forever until 2008. Its a real East meets West thing. Do it.

Kairi_Li
Jul 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
Seeing one of those special features about them "reenacting" some momo scenes, you'd think these guys were goofballs.

But I guess since its Nickelodeon on the DVD box, we don't get any semblance of serious making of, production meetings round table discussion, how the creators envisioned some plots or major themes.

Or choreography from old sensei dudes. XBOX Marketplace had a short 1 minute one of that. Such a tease.

If you want serious behind the scenes info straight from Mike and Bryan, get the animated series artbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Art-Animated/dp/1595825045

It is worth it. The incredible amounts of research and thought process written in here is wonderful. This is one of the best making of artbooks I have ever seen, and I also collected all the Lord of the Ring Movie ones, and the Batman Animated Series book as well.

The only other way to hear about the making ofs is through convention panels. I went to Anime Expo this year and there were two storyboarders/animation directors there to talk about the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtD_8dJqHic

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 21, 2010, 08:24 PM
If you want serious behind the scenes info straight from Mike and Bryan, get the:

Amazon listing: Animated Series Artbook

I can do that, and support keeping PSOW around at the same time!

Batman animated had some ones as well? Better look into that too.

Art Book, small 47 page preview comes with the re-released Package Series Book 1 (Water) boxset if anyone hasn't picked those up yet.

Dunno if I should wait for the Book #2 set, see what comes with that. But Amazon is super low $25 now on that ol Green box set, been watching it for awhile to get to now lowest its been in a long time.

The only other way to hear about the making ofs is through convention panels. I went to Anime Expo this year and there were two storyboarders/animation directors there to talk about the process.

YouTube- Avatar storyboards silliness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtD_8dJqHic)
Was planning to go, figuring there would be some interesting panels like so, but plans fell through.

KodiaX987
Jul 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png

...Why look elsewhere?

Seth Astra
Jul 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not embarrassed to admit that I'm looking forward to this. I should be, but I'm not.
^This. 100% this.

-Crokar-
Jul 22, 2010, 12:05 AM
well i am skeptic about this. however i will probably watch it

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 22, 2010, 02:22 AM
well i am skeptic about this. however i will probably watch it
Should be fine.

Not like "The Last Airbender: by M. Night Sh." stuff featured in window on busts and mannequins - a week later after movie release - in Hot Topic, disappeared, not even clearance. Thrown away maybe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png

Space, Go Go, yo yo Bizender. They're not yet that far into technology, powered by elemental wushu. And thus, robots powered by alcohol-fu, "like Jackie Chan before he got all dough'y."

NeonaPulsar
Jul 22, 2010, 04:05 PM
Finally, I was wondering when they'd make another one... YAAAAY !!!

Delete
Jul 23, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've never really sat down and watched an episode of Avatar. It does look interesting, but I like having violence and a more serious tone....like Pokemon for instance. Lol, I'm jk.....more like Inuyasha,Naruto, and Bleach.

Outrider
Jul 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
I've watched some Inuyasha, Naruto, and Bleach.

Avatar was worlds better than all three of them. Probably because it didn't have to hit the "violence means the show is mature, right guys?" demographic.

It's got great animation, is cleverly written (most of the time - there are the occasional "kids episodes" that're more uneven), and the action is top-notch, especially by the end of the series.

Delete
Jul 23, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've watched some Inuyasha, Naruto, and Bleach.

Avatar was worlds better than all three of them.

Well Inuyasha is a weird anime to like, it's.......different from a lot of other stuff. And I'm not "That" into Bleach either. But Naruto is definitely one of the more better animes out there. If you've watched "some" of Naruto, ya probably caught the boring stuff from season 1. Stuff really gets awesome a few seasons in.

SPOILER ALERT: If you watch Naruto, be aware of this video as it contains....well..spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOOc6aFL1xw

Outrider
Jul 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
I watched the first two seasons of Naruto and took a few journeys into wikis for additional information (due to morbid curiosity), to be completely honest.

And in my experience with Naruto, it basically starts as Ganbare Goemon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganbare_Goemon) meets Pokemon and slides further and further into "generic fantasy martial arts anime" (basically Bleach).

Whereas Avatar starts as "generic fantasy martial arts show slightly neutered for children" and works its way up to "magical martial arts anime with fun characters, tight storytelling, and an incredibly deep canonical mythology (but still kind of neutered for children)."

It fills a similar role as Gargoyles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyles_(TV_series)), in the sense that it hits a lot of different demographics but manages to still be smart and entertaining.

I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but despite the fact that it's clearly an all-ages show, it still manages to deal with mature themes and tell a compelling story in a much better way than most action anime series I've seen.

Shattered_weasel
Jul 23, 2010, 04:48 PM
But Naruto is definitely one of the more better animes out there.

I have never heard anyone say that without some sarcasm involved.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 24, 2010, 03:51 AM

Or with a straight face, even.

Delete
Jul 24, 2010, 06:57 AM

I'm shocked ya guys don't like it. Probably didn't like Dragon Ball either I'm guessing. I guess I just love non-stop fighting and less talking. But comparing Naruto to Pokemon.....that's just plain evil ;)

@Outrider

The first 2 seasons wasn't gonna win ya over tbh. And Wikipedia'ing it wouldn't really help out considering it's just words and pictures. And links to videos I think, not sure if ya watched them or read about it.

But in general, damn.....I'm once again shocked no one likes it so far :o

Outrider
Jul 25, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm shocked ya guys don't like it. Probably didn't like Dragon Ball either I'm guessing. I guess I just love non-stop fighting and less talking. But comparing Naruto to Pokemon.....that's just plain evil ;)

@Outrider

The first 2 seasons wasn't gonna win ya over tbh. And Wikipedia'ing it wouldn't really help out considering it's just words and pictures. And links to videos I think, not sure if ya watched them or read about it.

So you're telling us it's crap for the first two seasons.

But it gets good once it becomes a generic shonen anime?

Boy, I can't believe I skipped this show!

Delete
Jul 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
So you're telling us it's crap for the first two seasons.

No, I said it wasn't gonna win ya over meaning it wasn't intense or mature enough at that particular point. It never sucked Imo.

But it gets good once it becomes a generic shonen anime?

Define Generic. Naruto is definitely far away from that. There's no other anime to really compare it too. Dragon Ball Z? No. Pokemon? No. Gundam,Bleach,ETC? No. To be generic, it has to take from others but in a cheesy way. This show does not even go near doing that. If people hate Naruto, I think it's only because it gets really good at points, then they go do some side stories that no one really cares for. Do they make the show suck? No, because it adds some backstory most of the time to some of the many characters in Naruto.

K, I'm done :)

Shattered_weasel
Jul 26, 2010, 11:45 PM
I think it's only because it gets really good at points

I agree there. I love the first 2 arcs of Naruto and it can be pretty damn good at random intervals. Lee's fights are awesome, as are Neji's. Other than that though...it's a big "Meh" for me.

Outrider
Jul 27, 2010, 12:57 AM
Define Generic.

Naruto

Done.

Keely
Jul 27, 2010, 02:51 AM

I like the Naruto anime when it follows the manga and I consider it a bonus when the anime embellishes on the fighting scenes.

That being said, I did really enjoy Avatar: The Last Air Bender, especially the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I think the 1st season had some flashes of crappy animation but it got better later (better budget I suppose). Why not give it a chance?

Anyway, on topic, I am curious about The Legend of Korra and hope it will carry the same mood as The Last Air Bender.

Delete
Jul 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
Done.

Nope, doesn't work like that ;)

There's another word for that.........Sarcastic.