PDA

View Full Version : PSP Online Connection

Seth Astra
Aug 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm considering getting a PSP (for PS:P2 :-D), but I first want to know, what are my options for going online with it? Thanks in advance.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 4, 2010, 11:50 AM
Local wireless (have to be right next to other players) is how PSP1 worked.

PSP2 has local again, but it also has infrastructure mode, where you use a wireless connection (your home router, coffeeshop free wifi, etc) to connect to hosted servers to play with other people.

Seth Astra
Aug 4, 2010, 05:51 PM
Okay, so if I wanted to go online with a PSP, I'd need wireless internet? Is there any other method? I have no way to get wireless internet on nearly a regular basis.

Mike
Aug 4, 2010, 07:28 PM
You can use wireless usb dongles on a wired computer to bridge the connection.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 4, 2010, 10:25 PM
You can use wireless usb dongles on a wired computer to bridge the connection.
Any ones to avoid or recommend?

Incompat with chipsets or other trouble shooting, won't work with?

Not like PSZ, Nintendo's official one - that's now discontinued, so it fetches a high price (stranger!).

Mike
Aug 4, 2010, 11:50 PM
I've heard Nintendo's one works with the PSP as well and it's probably easiest to set up but price :/ Otherwise, I would suggest the ones that are X-Link approved; Planex in particular. These support adhoc bridging as well as infrastructure connections.

I use a wireless router though so make sure you check the details before you buy.

Seth Astra
Aug 4, 2010, 11:56 PM
If the nintendo one works for PSP, then I'm set. I have one that I got way back when for about $30. Sitting on the tissue box on my comp, flashing that little green light as I type.

NeonaPulsar
Aug 6, 2010, 11:43 PM
So, is it like PSZ, you just have to find a wifi spot with infrastructure mode then jump on to find people?

Mike
Aug 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
So, is it like PSZ, you just have to find a wifi spot with infrastructure mode then jump on to find people?
Pretty much. There is at least one more step involved with the PSP log in over the DS log in sequence but it really isn't that different.

NeonaPulsar
Aug 9, 2010, 01:54 AM
May I ask what that step is?

Mike
Aug 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
You have to log in to your Playstation Network account. That's something you don't have to worry about on the DS.

Seth Astra
Aug 9, 2010, 08:22 PM
Again, can anyone confirm that the nintendo wi-fi connecter thing works with PSP?

NeonaPulsar
Aug 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
I have been able to scan for connection points, but they were all locked with a key or something.

As for the account, i heard its free right, the game comes with an accsess code to get on.

Mike
Aug 9, 2010, 11:35 PM
Again, can anyone confirm that the nintendo wi-fi connecter thing works with PSP?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312

It's a little more complicated than I expected but if you've got the hardware then theres's no reason to buy anything again.

As for the account, i heard its free right, the game comes with an accsess code to get on.
The account is free, you can even make it from your PSP. The UMD version comes with a code you'll have to register in to the PSN Store or Account Settings to play. In the download version, the registering of the code is done for you automatically so you don't need to worry about it.

Seth Astra
Aug 10, 2010, 01:42 PM
I think I'd probably end up screwing that up. Well, there goes any chance of ever going online with a PSP.

NeonaPulsar
Aug 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
Seth, don't give up just yet. I'll get the game first, and i'll figure out how it works, so i can come back and help out so you don't screw up :D

Seth Astra
Aug 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
Figure out how online works? No, no point. Don't have wireless internet, and I never leave the house, and I don't have one of those (awesome) mobile wireless hotspots. Probably won't get a PSP cause of that.

Mike
Aug 10, 2010, 06:24 PM
I think I'd probably end up screwing that up. Well, there goes any chance of ever going online with a PSP.

If you follow the instructions, then there shouldn't be any problems. Or you can spend 20 bucks and buy one you don't need to mess with.

http://www.amazon.com/PLANEX-Adapter-Wireless-GW-US54Mini2W-designed/dp/B000KN8QMQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1281482510&sr=1-1-catcorr

Seth Astra
Aug 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
I might do that. Is that adaptor the one you recommend?

NeonaPulsar
Aug 10, 2010, 06:38 PM
Then... how'd you play PSZ with me and other friends?

Mike
Aug 10, 2010, 06:57 PM
I might do that. Is that adaptor the one you recommend?
I've never used it so I can't recommend something I've never used. Judging from the Amazon reviews, it looks like works fine as long as you use the software that comes with it and not the built in Windows wireless manager.