PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Jailbroken?

amtalx
Aug 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
The internet seems to be shitting itself over this.

PS3 Hacked (http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?41841-PS3-hacked-USB-PS-Jailbreak-allows-gamers-to-copy-games-directly-to-hard-drive&)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A&feature=player_embedded

I'm always skeptical of stuff like this given how easy it is to fake video, but if true, I'm curious what the homebrew scene would be like. I'd like to see something like XBMC. The PS3 is a great piece of hardware and could make a great media center, but it's crippled by weak codec support and a terrible UI.

Apparently games load 2x faster from the HD than from Blu-ray as well. That has obvious piracy implications though...

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
Inb4modded/lock?

Lol, guess it was just a matter of time, after they removed the ability to install Linux.

Of course, it'll probably be a matter of time before Sony somehow counteracts it with something like a new firmware update (even though supposedly this hardware blocks them, but what about online play that often requires those updates?), or they'll end up removing USB ports from their later consoles...

Still, it seems pretty awesome, but how it works with online play on PSN and such is what I'm concerned about. No point in hacking your games if you can't play online with your friends, unless you stick to offline stuff - same reason why I didn't want to get a hacked PSP if I couldn't play PSPo2 online with people. :confused:

amtalx
Aug 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
I don't see a reason for a lock. I posted a news story, not a link to obtain the hack or how it's used.

Anyway, it all appears to be working with online games for the time being, although I expect that to change. It will probably turn into another manufacturer vs. hacker arms race. As long as it opens the hardware, that's fine by me.

joefro
Aug 19, 2010, 05:10 PM
Neat. I wouldn't mind using this, just to have my own games installed on the HDD. I'm not a fan of piracy, but having my small library of PS3 games installed would be awesome. A nice custom theme would be nice too. XMB is awful.

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2010, 05:15 PM
This is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to have to get a new Ps3, or whatever/however it works just to play online games with friends if the hacked ones get banned.

Either way, just another Sony product getting hacked, nothing amazing!

Just kidding, this is amazing!

Zantra
Aug 21, 2010, 05:15 AM
I'd never use this, but 15 years or so down the road, I wouldn't be against some kind of PS3 emulator. Depending on how hard PS3's and the games, are to find.

PIT
Aug 21, 2010, 08:35 AM
Removing USB device support is not an option. MicroSoft made the mistake of enabling it and now a lot of people hack their gamerscore or cheat as if it made them any better. I wish they didn't allow for that, just had my first encounter with a flying aimboting loser on Halo 3 yesterday.

Randomness
Aug 21, 2010, 11:23 AM
USB ports are practically mandatory, for hooking up keyboards if nothing else.

joefro
Aug 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
Removing USB device support is not an option. MicroSoft made the mistake of enabling it and now a lot of people hack their gamerscore or cheat as if it made them any better. I wish they didn't allow for that, just had my first encounter with a flying aimboting loser on Halo 3 yesterday.

I hate that so, so much. Makes me hate playing Halo matchmaking. Custom games with friends are so much more fun.