PDA

View Full Version : Good news?

Mike
Aug 24, 2010, 06:19 PM
From Shogai (http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2010/08/100825b.html):

PSO2 has been registered as a domain by Sega. Here's another whois (http://whois.shinobi.jp/bin/whois.cgi?q=pso2.jp) to back it up. The Tokyo Game Show is also less than a month away. So.... Anyone ready to explode?

Zantra
Aug 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
They said the announcement will be on the 10th anniversary of PSO. Which is in December. They might announce the PSP2 expansion, though.

Mike
Aug 24, 2010, 06:43 PM
It would be silly not to announce or even tease it at this year's TGS.

Zantra
Aug 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
Well Sega is silly.

Mike
Aug 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
Do you have a link for your information?

Zantra
Aug 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
I was at Sega America headquarters for the Phantasy Star Zero event, when the director of Phantasy Star Zero, told us to look forward to a big Phantasy Star announcement on the 10th Anniversary of PSO's Japanese release.

Mike
Aug 24, 2010, 07:17 PM
If that's the case, I'll still expect the game to be announced at TGS. The PSP2 expansion is a given but since that's not exactly a secret anymore.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
Cautiously excited. Maybe this'll turn into something good.

reddragon_756
Aug 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
I may have never played PSO but this has got me kind of excited. So hopefully it will be announced.

Seth Astra
Aug 24, 2010, 08:18 PM
I desparately hope this turns out to be true. Finally getting to play PSO'd be a dream come true.

Zantra
Aug 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
My worry, is that it'll just be a Wii version of Zero. I'm hoping it will be a real sequel to PSO.

AlexCraig
Aug 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
Like Nitro, I am cautiously excited.

Zantra
Aug 24, 2010, 08:45 PM
Well, if it sucks, I can always play something else. I hope it doesn't suck.

Max B
Aug 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
*waits patiently till TGS*

Sha Sha
Aug 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
I can't wait!
If it is a new PSO i'll scream xD if not..awwww
but yea very excited!

Raikomaru
Aug 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
Like Nitro, I am cautiously excited.

Agreed. I've been heartbroken before when my friend said something about FFVII for DS..... :no:

Kent
Aug 25, 2010, 01:43 AM
PSO2, developed by Platinum Games? Please?

DChip
Aug 25, 2010, 01:46 AM
If this is a remake/port of Phantasy Star Online... for the Germ this must be on Wii somehow; I really want another PSO experience, and XBOX already has Universe, Sony Portable and DS Zero.

And if it isn't on Wii, at least a new chapter will always be welcomed :D.

DuRaL
Aug 25, 2010, 06:52 AM
i so hope it will be announced at TGS.. it will be awesome!
well, at least the japanese version will be awesome ;)

oh, and please not for the Wii...
i want this to come for a console with modern graphics and a HDD!

"En"
Aug 25, 2010, 07:38 AM
I have my fingers crossed, naturally.

Ryudo
Aug 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
I think one of the big things that gives a clue is in the PSP2 Infinity news too
They made an actual logo for PSO's 10th anniversary so I'd bet on PSO2 being their big 10th anniversary game

Ithildin
Aug 25, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have my fingers crossed, naturally.

This.

I'm just hoping the next PS release will be actually released in the US/EU.

joefro
Aug 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
PSO2, developed by Platinum Games? Please?

I think that Gearbox would also be a good developer for a possible PSO2. They've worked with Sega before, on Samba for Wii. I also remember reading somewhere that Randy Pitchford, the president of Gearbox, is working on a secret project that he is very excited about.

If PSO 2 is announced this year and it is only for Japan for a year or so, I doubt that I'll even play it. They need to have an international release if they want this to be a hit worldwide.

Tetsaru
Aug 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
This is intriguing news... I personally would love to see a new Phantasy Star game for PS3 and/or PC.

If PSO 2 is announced this year and it is only for Japan for a year or so, I doubt that I'll even play it. They need to have an international release if they want this to be a hit worldwide.

Agreed, and they'd better not pull any stupid server segregation bullshit like they did with PSU. That, and I'm sick of the year or so time-difference between Japan and the rest of us. It happened with PSU's content, and it happened with the release of PSPo2, and now they announce this new Infinity game RIGHT before PSPo2 is about to hit the US and Europe...

I know games take time to localize, but it shouldn't take THAT long. Personally, I'd rather them hold back the release until all the regions were accounted for.

i so hope it will be announced at TGS.. it will be awesome!
well, at least the japanese version will be awesome ;)

oh, and please not for the Wii...
i want this to come for a console with modern graphics and a HDD!

Agreed here as well. The Wii can go die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned - lame hardware, lame online support, lame controllers (haven't tried the one that came out with Monster Hunter though). Although there are some titles coming out that pique my interest, I haven't bought any new Wii games in probably over a year now, and that's pretty sad, considering that I used to play the crap out of my N64 and Gamecube back in the day. :(

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
People may hate me for this, but I would definitely want this to be a 3DS game more than any other system, i dont really want it on ps3/360, even though i pwn a ps3 its just a pretty annoying sytem sometimes, and there's talk of it costing money for online soon, so my hope is for 3DS then if not that, Wii.

oh, and my opinion on is this good news, YEEEEEEESS!

Kent
Aug 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
If this is a remake/port of Phantasy Star Online... for the Germ this must be on Wii somehow; I really want another PSO experience, and XBOX already has Universe, Sony Portable and DS Zero.

And if it isn't on Wii, at least a new chapter will always be welcomed :D.
I hope you're not saying that Phantasy Star Universe is a substitute (to any degree) for another game like PSO. I don't want to have to stab you. >_>

I think that Gearbox would also be a good developer for a possible PSO2. They've worked with Sega before, on Samba for Wii. I also remember reading somewhere that Randy Pitchford, the president of Gearbox, is working on a secret project that he is very excited about.
That, and Borderlands is, in a way, a kind of spiritual successor to games like PSO and Diablo - where there's loot hunting and a whole lot of action-RPG stuff going on. It's still the best game of 2009, by a long shot.

There's been speculation and rumors that their "secret project" is actually Duke Nukem Forever, but somebody's gotta keep the legend going, right?

Vanzazikon
Aug 25, 2010, 09:30 PM
Intriguing news indeed. This is pretty exciting. :wacko:

Garnet_Moon
Aug 25, 2010, 10:31 PM
It better be PSO in HD on a current-gen console.

If it's another handheld i'm gonna throw my monitor out the window.

FOkyasuta
Aug 26, 2010, 01:41 AM
PSO 10th Anniversary Edition?

Raikomaru
Aug 26, 2010, 02:07 AM
PSO 10th Anniversary Edition?

With new playable character HUrappy!

"En"
Aug 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
With new playable character HUrappy!

HUppy, FOppy, and...

...RAppy...

Etastar
Aug 26, 2010, 09:14 AM
PSO episode 1 & 2 for GC <3! I absolutely love this game, PSU was cool too. Even if it is a remake I wouldn't care, just as long as they don't mess it up *doesn't trust SEGA* ie: synthesizing.

FOkyasuta
Aug 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
Dont Mock The Rappy. *Points To A Nearby Del Rappy*

Talwin
Aug 26, 2010, 10:36 AM
Just to add a thought to the mix...

Does anyone remember a couple of screenshots of PSO ep 1 re-made for the DS? Eventually it turned into PSz of course.

I know it was only for testing purposes and for building the engine around but you never know, it may have inspired someone in Sega.

3DS is supposed to have far better graphics than the DS, although I'd (and I'm sure all of us) would rather more resources were put into gameplay, at least it would look nice on there!

PSO:BB 3DS ftw

lol - I called it first.

Of course, I'm not expecting this to happen at all!

Seth Astra
Aug 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
@Talwin: I'd die of joy if that were to happen.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Just to add a thought to the mix...

Does anyone remember a couple of screenshots of PSO ep 1 re-made for the DS? Eventually it turned into PSz of course.

I know it was only for testing purposes and for building the engine around but you never know, it may have inspired someone in Sega.

3DS is supposed to have far better graphics than the DS, although I'd (and I'm sure all of us) would rather more resources were put into gameplay, at least it would look nice on there!

PSO:BB 3DS ftw

lol - I called it first.

Of course, I'm not expecting this to happen at all!

as i previously posted about pso3ds, HELLLLLZZZZ YAH!

Tetsaru
Aug 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
If they remade PSO Episode 1 & 2 (hell, maybe even 3) or Blue Burst for the DS, 3DS, or PSP, I wouldn't mind getting it.

But as for an entirely new game? No thanks - I want to be able to play on my PC or PS3.

EvilMag
Aug 26, 2010, 07:25 PM
please for god sakes don't have pso2 on a fucking handheld.

I thought PSP2 is the last PS Handheld game.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 26, 2010, 07:44 PM
what's so wrong with a 3DS new PSO? what makes a system like the xbox 360, PC, or ps3 so much a better idea?

Zantra
Aug 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
what's so wrong with a 3DS new PSO? what makes a system like the xbox 360, PC, or ps3 so much a better idea?

Bigger Screen. I get migranes playing handhelds. I imagine that the 3DS will be a nightmare for me to play.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
oh, well i guess that makes sense, that must really suck cuz the 3DS is going to be incredible and i really couldn't care less about 3D.

Tetsaru
Aug 26, 2010, 07:53 PM

Bigger screen, better hardware, HD support, hard drives to store more data on, hard-wired broadband internet for (usually) better online signal, easier to play offline multiplayer on if it was supported... I think that covers the gist of it.

I guess it's like comparing a desktop PC to a laptop. Sure, the laptop's more portable and can easily receive wireless internet signals, but USUALLY a desktop PC is better for overall performance. You often see remakes of old console games on handhelds anyway (especially the DS), because they're able to fit OLDER technology into a more compact and portable space.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 26, 2010, 08:59 PM
The reason i prefer desktop to laptop generally is because a desktop its stationary and the keyboard is wherever you want it in relation to the monitor and the mouse cane be where you want it and its just more accessible. but with handhelds, u can just pull em out of ur pocket and play, you cant do that with a laptop and we've seen that wifi can work just as well for online in games like PSZ, and as we get on in technology the difference in wired internet speed as oppossed to wif speed gets narrower and narrower. but i do get where you're coming from, its just that I really really have the highest expectations for the 3DS based on what ive seen, ill get everything i want, and the graphics arent bad at all, and i just have a thing for the 3DS, it's the system that just screams to me "THIS IS THE SYSTEM YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!" a whole lot more than any other system ever.

ChaosAngel92
Aug 26, 2010, 10:59 PM

The unique detail of PS handhelds games I cant stand...ITS THE CHAT.

I really want the next game to be something were I can type as I would on PSO BB. With a normal standard keyboard.

I totally hated PSZ drawing thingy, even if that was the main concept of the game.

If its a new PSO (I already baptized PSP:2 as PSO2 anyway), I would like to have it on my PC.
What is so wrong with the PC?

Seth Astra
Aug 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
@ChaosAngel92: I'd like it on PC, too. Since for a non-handheld, it's gotta be on the PC or Wii, or I'm not getting it. But, of course, everyone has mindless hate towards the Wii, so I don't see that happening. And, sadly, my PC is a few years old, and starting to slow. Since I don't use it for games I have no frame of referance, but chances are... It'd be slow as heck, or it'd just freeze up too much to play it... Which makes me sad.

FOkyasuta
Aug 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
PSO Ep.5?

Kent
Aug 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
@ChaosAngel92: I'd like it on PC, too. Since for a non-handheld, it's gotta be on the PC or Wii, or I'm not getting it. But, of course, everyone has mindless hate towards the Wii, so I don't see that happening. And, sadly, my PC is a few years old, and starting to slow. Since I don't use it for games I have no frame of referance, but chances are... It'd be slow as heck, or it'd just freeze up too much to play it... Which makes me sad.

Not everyone has mindless hate toward the Wii - a lot of us just realize that it's not a system for people who come from a background as a gamer. Very, very few games on the Wii actually cater to people who have a gaming background, and a lot of those are first-party Nintendo games that are intended to do little more than string us along for the ride.

Besides, there's the whole thing about friend codes and Nintendo's whole "no online talking to strangers" thing that is really intrusive on people trying to enjoy a game online socially.

Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network have much better-established online systems in place for allowing players to play online with people they do and do not know, as well as contain any sort of social atomosphere intrinsic to online gaming. Things like these have their own advantages and disadvantages compared to the open nature of PC online gaming, but are each individually far superior than the culmination of Nintendo's online services between their two platforms.

So no, there's nothing mindless about gamers disliking Nintendo for this generation.

FOkyasuta
Aug 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
Well Thats True. I Like Talking To Strangers. On PSU That Is. =3

Talwin
Aug 27, 2010, 05:48 AM
New prediction.

PSO:BB 3DS with no friend codes and decent microphone.

You heard it hear first folks.

Seriously though, I think the this PS:P2 is going to be the PSO 10th anniversary thing. Considering the scans have got the commemorative 10th anniversary stamp on them. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though. Hell I'd even go with PSO Episode 5 for the Dreamcast!

Pandarino
Aug 28, 2010, 01:32 AM
Seriously though, I think the this PS:P2 is going to be the PSO 10th anniversary thing. Considering the scans have got the commemorative 10th anniversary stamp on them.

On the other hand, this is most likely a clue that there will be a series of phantasy star game released to celebrate PSO birthday.

1- Probably PSO will be re-released on XBLA and PSN;
2 - Probably a new home console (and maybe pc) PS title: Phantasy Star Online 2?
3 - PHantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity

FOkyasuta
Aug 28, 2010, 01:38 AM
My Thought On ^ Ideas.
1: Genius.
2: Also Genius.
3: Please No... I Want PSO Back.

AzureAsh
Aug 28, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'll honestly take a HD port of PSO Episode Blue Burst with splitscreen bought back from Episode 1 & 2.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
The unique detail of PS handhelds games I cant stand...ITS THE CHAT.

I really want the next game to be something were I can type as I would on PSO BB. With a normal standard keyboard.

I totally hated PSZ drawing thingy, even if that was the main concept of the game.

If its a new PSO (I already baptized PSP:2 as PSO2 anyway), I would like to have it on my PC.
What is so wrong with the PC?

i agree with the drawy thingy being really really really dumb, but if they had a touch keyboard i would be ok. and my problem with PC, first of all, i don't like keyboard controls and second even with an xbox controller or ps3 controller, computers just can't give the same affect because of everything down to how you sit to play them generally not being a couch. The ds cant give that feel as much as a home console either, but playing GCPSO was a much different feel than playing BB (although i do like BB better because i can play online and ep 4) so, if it werent for the take it everywhere accessibility that handhelds give, id definitely want it on a console but proly on wii but with mh3 type online so it's not annoying like most wii online, but ps3 online just annoys me.

Tetsaru
Aug 28, 2010, 04:11 PM
and my problem with PC, first of all, i don't like keyboard controls

Understandable, although a lot of PC games allow you to customize the keyboard controls...

and second even with an xbox controller or ps3 controller, computers just can't give the same affect because of everything down to how you sit to play them generally not being a couch.

Waitaminute... so you're saying you don't like playing PC games because you can't sit on a couch...? I'm confused... o_o I use the same chair in my room (if I'm not sitting on my bed) for both my PC and my consoles...

I'm guessing you prefer the whole home theater type experience, where you play games in your living room on a big TV and what-not. If that's the case, most HDTV's these days have ports where you can hook them up to a PC or laptop and use them as the monitor, and you could probably find a wireless controller/keyboard if cord length was an issue. Just saying. :razz:

if it werent for the take it everywhere accessibility that handhelds give, id definitely want it on a console but proly on wii but with mh3 type online so it's not annoying like most wii online, but ps3 online just annoys me.

Agreed on the Wii part... but what do you not like about PS3's online? Just curious... in my opinion, the Wii's online support is a lot worse (not to mention, wtf with friend codes).

voxie
Aug 28, 2010, 04:14 PM
PSO2.jp has been renewed, but was actually registered since April last year... http://www.segabits.com/?p=3630

So perhaps they've been planning "something" for a while. :)

I'd like to forget PSU happened almost, and I'd welcome a re-visit to PSO!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
Understandable, although a lot of PC games allow you to customize the keyboard controls...

it's not "what" the keyboard controls are, so much as they're on a keyboard and it's not a joystick and you don't hold it in your hand, if you hadn't already noticed, i have quite a few weird preferences as to how i game

Waitaminute... so you're saying you don't like playing PC games because you can't sit on a couch...? I'm confused... o_o I use the same chair in my room (if I'm not sitting on my bed) for both my PC and my consoles...

I'm guessing you prefer the whole home theater type experience, where you play games in your living room on a big TV and what-not. If that's the case, most HDTV's these days have ports where you can hook them up to a PC or laptop and use them as the monitor, and you could probably find a wireless controller/keyboard if cord length was an issue. Just saying. :razz:

you would be correct, but it doesnt even have to be a huge tv or anything, mine's average and most games i play arent on the hd tv either. but yes, i like the sitting back away and being on the same level as feel of a tv as opposed to a computer, for most people i doubt it matters, call it one of my pet peeves.

Agreed on the Wii part... but what do you not like about PS3's online? Just curious... in my opinion, the Wii's online support is a lot worse (not to mention, wtf with friend codes).

i hate friend codes too, thats why i mentioned mh3 online, and my problem with ps3 online is that it wont let me use the chat stuff and the interface is confusing and everyone is saying that soon enough we'll have to pay for it.

and I'm not saying i dont like playing computer games, I'm just saying that I'd "rather" use a handheld/home console generally except for with FPS/RTS. I would still d e f i n i t e l y a pso2 PC if it didn't come on one of my preferred systems

Tetsaru
Aug 28, 2010, 05:53 PM
my problem with ps3 online is that it wont let me use the chat stuff and the interface is confusing and everyone is saying that soon enough we'll have to pay for it.

Hmm. I always thought the XMB was pretty easy to use and kept everything organized. Hell, on the Wii's UI, to get to your Wii's code so your friends can register each other, you have to go through a series of menus (with those gigantic menu icons that insult my intelligence and make me feel like a legally blind toddler) after accessing your MAIL INBOX. Wtf kind of progression is that!?

As for chat functions, most online PS3 games that I've played have voice chat functions with a Bluetooth headset. The video/voice-chat option is strictly for when you're NOT playing a game, and a compatible camera is optional, although I don't use one, so I don't know what works with it other than that Playstation Eye thing or whatever it's called, lol. The text chat can be used while in-game, although you have to constantly use the PS button to get back to your XMB menu to type and view longer messages, and a lot of games like Little Big Planet already have a built-in text chat function. For the Wii, I've heard people had to basically scream at their TV's or stand right in front of them for the Wii Speak accessory to pick up their voice (designed to go on top of the sensor bar, which is retarded because then it could pick up audio from your TV instead) until they finally decided to make an actual CORDED USB headset for the Wii, which doesn't make sense to me, seeing how they put such a big emphasis on the Wii's wireless capabilities... I don't think it even supports Bluetooth. And although I don't have many games (let alone online ones) for my Wii, I still remember in games like Mario Kart Wii where you could only scroll through an extensive list of preset messages to "shout out" while in an online lobby, instead of having at least a text chat support function with a keyboard... maybe some newer games have it, I don't know.

Ranting aside, it's because of stuff like this that I think the Wii would be a horrible platform choice for a new online Phantasy Star game, not to mention the previous lack of powerful hardware compared to the PS3 and 360. Also, seeing how Sega tends to "have the knack," if you'll pardon the PSO reference, to make things frustrating and annoying... heheh, no thanks.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 28, 2010, 06:04 PM
It better be a new game, on a console that isn't the Wii.

If it's on a portable, I'll be pissed. I traded in my DS because I didn't play it, and I don't own a PSP.

Seth Astra
Aug 28, 2010, 06:07 PM
Eh, I've pretty much given up on it. Not that I don't believe that it'll come out, but whatever happens I almost certainly won't be able to play it. The odds of it being on the Wii are too small to count, and my PC probably wouldn't be up to the task.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
@tetsaru

I'd agree on quite a few points, and I guess i have to say you've won this arguement, it would be better to have a ps3 and 360 pso than wii all around seeing as i have a ps3 and a wii, but id still want it most on the 3ds for reasons that no one on PSOW (besides mabe Seth_Astra) is ever going to agree with me on. but on ps3 what i meant by not being able to chat is that even in game text chat is blocked for no reason, ive looked through all the controls things and nothing. and i dont have voice chat for anything except maybe if it came on PC. so i guess now that i think about it, i want it on most on the 3DS, then PC, then ps3/360, then Wii, then DS, then PSP (i dont own a psp is the main reason for that.)

DChip
Aug 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Know that I read the news again... I really points more to a sequel rather than a remake... wait, no... ahh, I'm confused, I only know I want it :-P.

Tetsaru
Aug 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
on ps3 what i meant by not being able to chat is that even in game text chat is blocked for no reason, ive looked through all the controls things and nothing. and i dont have voice chat for anything except maybe if it came on PC.

If by "blocked" you mean "censored," then yeah, I feel ya on that; however, if by "blocked" you mean not being able to use it at all, then you might have an internet issue. I remember a while back, I had to open up several ports on my router in order for some of the communication features to work on some games like Little Big Planet (although its online multiplayer is rather wonky in general because it uses a peer-to-peer connection, lol). If you check your internet settings on your PS3, and it says NAT Type 3, then something needs to be adjusted. It's a rather confusing process though - depends on your type of router and how your internet is set up, etc.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
it's censored, and we can't figure out how to uncensor it and nobody can remember the password for the master account, not even the person who made it.

Fox2Tails
Aug 29, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'll be happy if it's on the PS3, 360 or PSP

I'll be PO'd if it was on the 3DS because I hate having to buy a console/handheld that has only 1 use

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 08:42 PM
the 3ds is going to have a whole lot more uses than a ps game if it were to come there, namely Kingdom Hearts 3D, and Kid Icarus Uprising, and the oot rm

psofan219
Aug 29, 2010, 08:51 PM
He meant 1 use as in just playing games, which is inaccurate. The 3DS has more features than just playing games, though I forgot what they are.

Why is this thread turning into a console war? Seriously?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
well, game consoles are kind of for games, the other stuff is just well.... extra

psofan219
Aug 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
By that logic, all consoles only have one use.

I say they should release for all three of the major competing consoles, that way everyone gets what they want.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 08:57 PM
i guess, but then the wii version would be pretty undermined.

psofan219
Aug 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
Well either way, I'm not getting my hopes up for a new release.

FOkyasuta
Aug 29, 2010, 09:19 PM
Chaos?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 10:41 PM
chaos? why are we saying chaos?

Tetsaru
Aug 30, 2010, 11:43 PM
Why is this thread turning into a console war? Seriously?

I say they should release for all three of the major competing consoles, that way everyone gets what they want.

It's an issue to me because I feel that it's important for Sega to realize the mistakes they made with PSU by separating the PC/PS2's players from 360's players, and then finally decided to stop supporting them entirely. Despite having multiple servers of its own that players had to pay a fee to hop between (which had problems of its own, trust me), Square-Enix had the SAME platforms with FF11 (although 360 wasn't implemented until later), yet was able to allow players from each system, as well as each region, to play alongside each other. Now, I hate to make comparisons between PSU and FF11 all the time, but seeing how they've been around at roughly the same time, it's interesting to note how the different companies handled things.

In my opinion, if the next big online Phantasy Star game is to be more successful than PSU, then Sega will have to make an important choice:

1 - Release the game for multiple platforms and regions to please everyone, and have to devote more time, money, and resources to support them all simultaneously to KEEP pleasing everyone.

i guess, but then the wii version would be pretty undermined.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with this, for the reasons I've stated previously. A lot of games end up on both PS3 and 360 only, and if the game WAS released for all three current-gen consoles, the Wii version would most likely be significantly different, or would hamper the performance of the other two consoles, similar to how PSU didn't allow hard drive support with the PS2, and held the 360 and PC back in several aspects.

2 - Another option would be to limit the game to a single console and/or region so that the game is easier to manage, but not everyone will be able to play it. If the game WAS released for Wii, it would most likely have to be limited to the Wii.

well, game consoles are kind of for games, the other stuff is just well.... extra

By that logic, all consoles only have one use.

Consoles are becoming more and more PC-like all the time, something I wish Nintendo would realize with their Wii instead of always pushing the latest innovations they come up with all the time... but that's just me ranting again. It's kind of ironic, seeing how Sega was among the first companies to promote CD's and online play for their consoles, as well as having powerful advertising... nowadays, they don't do ANYTHING like that, despite the fact that they don't even make major consoles anymore. :(

zonron
Aug 31, 2010, 12:10 AM
My worry, is that it'll just be a Wii version of Zero. I'm hoping it will be a real sequel to PSO.

The Nintendo Yes? that would be cool. it would go great with monster hunter 3 and..... MONSTER HUNTER 3.

man there isn't a lot of multiplayer goodness on the Yes....

lostinseganet
Aug 31, 2010, 03:00 PM
If it comes out for the wii it will not have a harddrive AND online. That will kill the o in pso :(

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 31, 2010, 04:24 PM
it would still have online, it would just probably be not as good as it could be.

zonron
Aug 31, 2010, 05:36 PM
i play monster hunter 3, the community works great! sadly there are a lot of idiots online, no matter what game you play.

Seth Astra
Aug 31, 2010, 05:37 PM
@zonron: I agree. SEGA could do something like MHTri, but with a lot more people per room/lobb/whatever.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 31, 2010, 09:43 PM
indeed, thats how the online play could actually be good for a wii pso

Vanzazikon
Sep 1, 2010, 02:44 AM
You people act like PSO never had a lobby system.

FOkyasuta
Sep 1, 2010, 11:49 AM
It Did.=3 And Good It Was. :3

sCI
Sep 1, 2010, 01:40 PM
Why do I have a feeling this is going to be another huge let-down like every other Phantasy Star game since V.2.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 1, 2010, 03:27 PM
you think PSO ep2 was a let down? and Blue Burst? those are tremendously great games.

FOkyasuta
Sep 1, 2010, 03:44 PM
He Failed Then.

Zantra
Sep 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
I liked Episode 2... sorta... ok... it was weird.

Raikomaru
Sep 2, 2010, 04:31 PM
Ep2 was awesome (except for the VR levels). Ep4 is a little weird, but pretty good, plus the Sub Desert is awesome (thought Satellite Lizard's are ridiculous...."come on, Fanatic, HIT THEM!!! @#%$^@%"

zonron
Sep 2, 2010, 04:50 PM
you think PSO ep2 was a let down? and Blue Burst? those are tremendously great games.

pso ep 2 felt pretty short, then again i've always been hungry for more gameplay

FOkyasuta
Sep 2, 2010, 06:04 PM
Ep.2 Didn't Really Fit... And The Enemy's Were Kind Of Overpowered To A Somewhat Degree.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
They were supposed to be stronger then ep1, and ep2 was my favorite episode, but my favorite area was probably desert.

Ryudo
Sep 3, 2010, 02:02 AM
Just a tiny tidbit for those of you worried PSPo2: Infinity is all they have planned for the 10th anniversary, on todays PSPo2 blog update Sakai said "please look forward to future PSO 10th anniversary announcements"

Talwin
Sep 3, 2010, 02:45 AM
Just a tiny tidbit for those of you worried PSPo2: Infinity isn't all they have planned for the 10th anniversary, on todays PSPo2 blog update Sakai said "please look forward to future PSO 10th anniversary announcements"

Umm, did you mean this? Otherwise those 2 lines contradict each other. You've got me excited now :-P

FOkyasuta
Sep 3, 2010, 11:17 AM
Weew. Thats Over. *Croses Fingers* Please Bring PSO2!

Lazaroth
Sep 3, 2010, 02:30 PM
Can't wait!! lol

Overlord Zenon
Sep 5, 2010, 05:13 AM
With sonic adventure from what it appears being a GC port rather then DC, i could see Ep1-2 getting a digital download, cause lets face it, PSO was an iconic title for the DC and GC. my only real thoughts are, if it does get re-released, will we have to pay to play? or will it be free to play like a handheld Phantasy Star?

Ithildin
Sep 5, 2010, 06:17 AM
With sonic adventure from what it appears being a GC port rather then DC, i could see Ep1-2 getting a digital download, cause lets face it, PSO was an iconic title for the DC and GC. my only real thoughts are, if it does get re-released, will we have to pay to play? or will it be free to play like a handheld Phantasy Star?

I'd love to have a dl version of PSO. Do you/we really think that will happen though? I'm not so sure. I think its more likely we will see a new Phantasy Star. If, however, it is in fact re-released I would be happy to pay for it and a monthly fee.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 5, 2010, 07:37 AM
I hope its not a re-release, i don't pay for online games and i can already play it offline on GC. But, it would still be nice to know that if it had US, even if you had to pay, servers that PSO wasn't dead in America anymore.

toly369
Sep 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
Fingers crossed on a PSO2 for the PS3 and 360 and competent developers/support.

What will actually happen? Probably a shitty title for either handhelds, which I would never play, or the Wii, which will result in a crippled and unsatisfying, but playable game.

Seth Astra
Sep 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
@toly369: Hopefully it's on PC, too. Simply because I'd like to have a 1% chance of even getting it.

FOkyasuta
Sep 11, 2010, 12:52 AM
I Dont Think So. Due To A Ton Of Pepole Downloading If IT Comes Out As A Re-Release. Eather Way Its Probaly Will Be Due To The $$$ From PSP2.

doubleEXP
Sep 11, 2010, 10:52 AM
Please let it be the TRUE sequel to PSO.

No more PSU stuff, no more handheld stuff (nothing against handheld fans -- I have a PSP myself) but enough is enough.

PSO Ep I & II on GC is absolutely my favorite video game of ALL TIME.

I still think it's better than any mmorpg or orpg released to date. I've never had more fun playing games than I did with PSO on DC and GC.

In fact, I'm so tired of current games that for the first time in two years I'm playing GC PSO again and it STILL rules.

*fingers crossed!*

ZeroXRaven
Sep 11, 2010, 12:42 PM
I would much rather have a handheld version of Phantasy Star Online...cuzz lets face it...Handhelds are more versatile and can be played anywhere and with the 3DS coming out the graphics are better than the GC's so a new Phantasy Star on it would look amazing

FOkyasuta
Sep 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
PSO Ep1&2 Remastered?

Seth Astra
Sep 11, 2010, 02:21 PM
@HU: How about PSOBB Remastered? I mean, why not include the extra content?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
im with Seth, PSOBB remastered, but why not an ep5 to go with it?

FOkyasuta
Sep 11, 2010, 06:42 PM
Make It PSO 10th Anniversary Edition.

Seth Astra
Sep 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
@Kyrith: If that happined, I'd die of joy. There are a few things from what I've seen of PSU/P that I might like carried over (mostly the character customization system, which looks awesome). Although, as far as I'm concirned, it could just be Ep. 1 and I'd be happy. Course, that's coming from someone who is desparate to play PSO in any form.

FOkyasuta
Sep 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
Then Again It Wont Hurt To Have It Portable... But Then Again PSP2.

xenokai
Sep 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
As a fan of PSO on all system since dc to pc/gc im really hoping the PSO2 domain name news is signs of a real PSO2. PSU was the biggest disapointment in all of gaming to me. PSO and PSU are 100% diffrent games gameplay wise they just look like there the same. Sometimes when im randonly checking old PSO vids on youtube, itl show the main menu and it makes me remeber how much fun i had on that game. The music will stay with me forever. The story will stay with me forever. i really do want a true PSO sequel. Heck a updated orginal remake of PSO would be great if done right.

Anyway sorry for the kinda random post i was just wacthing some old pso videos, and tears nearly run down my face when i think of what they butchered with PSU. Hope the PSO2 thing happens.

FOkyasuta
Sep 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
As a fan of PSO on all system since dc to pc/gc im really hoping the PSO2 domain name news is signs of a real PSO2. PSU was the biggest disapointment in all of gaming to me. PSO and PSU are 100% diffrent games gameplay wise they just look like there the same. Sometimes when im randonly checking old PSO vids on youtube, itl show the main menu and it makes me remeber how much fun i had on that game. The music will stay with me forever. The story will stay with me forever. i really do want a true PSO sequel. Heck a updated orginal remake of PSO would be great if done right.

Anyway sorry for the kinda random post i was just wacthing some old pso videos, and tears nearly run down my face when i think of what they butchered with PSU. Hope the PSO2 thing happens.

Freaking Smart... PSO Always Made Me Cry Of Joy...

doubleEXP
Sep 13, 2010, 10:05 AM
im with Seth, PSOBB remastered, but why not an ep5 to go with it?

That would rock.

imgrier
Sep 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
as much as I'd like to say what I want I'll be happy with just about anything they give me probably but I'd like good forms of communication. The best part of psu IMO is voice chat or typing is easy to make possible. I'd basically want PSO BB with updated graphics and another episode with higher level cap.