PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About Donkey Kong Country Returns

Reksanden
Aug 29, 2010, 08:53 PM
The Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES were excellent. I've heard about this, seen a video for it on the Wii's Nintendo Channel, and it looks pretty good. New, 3D graphics with the original music from it's predecessors. Looks like it's going to be a great game, and i'm definitely going to get it.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
i doubt ill be getting it, im not a big DK fan but i did get to try the original donkey kong country via virtual console, its pretty fun

Outrider
Aug 29, 2010, 09:37 PM
The original Donkey Kong Country games are definitely classics (even the uneven DKC3), and Retro is an incredibly talented developer, so I have high hopes for DKC Returns.

I mean, I'm not crazy about the new health system and some of carryovers from Donkey Kong 64 (like Diddy's pop guns) but I'm willing to give it a shot.

joefro
Aug 29, 2010, 09:45 PM
It looks really good. I'm definitely picking this up. DKC was my favorite game back in the day.

I'm glad that Retro is making it because they are really good, but I can't help but wonder what they would create if they made a new IP. I don't think that'll even happen though as I'm pretty sure that Nintendo owns them.

Sexy_Raine
Aug 30, 2010, 12:13 AM
Check my sig, it's currently one of my most anticipated games this year, I'm a huge fan of the originals. Along with this game I'm waiting for two others. my pre-ordered Atelier Rorona, and might do the same for Castlevania:LOS.

DKCR looked pretty good in the E3 trailer, though I hope the levels the can give the same uniqueness the SNES seires did, plus the music. DKC1 and DKC2 have some of the best game soundtracks ever(DKC3 soundtrack sucked though). Retro better put some quality music in DKCR. I'd like to see the DK coins return as well.

Monochrome
Aug 30, 2010, 01:04 AM
Shoulda been Dixie instead of Diddy.

Other than that, I want it.

Outrider
Aug 30, 2010, 01:50 AM
It looks really good. I'm definitely picking this up. DKC was my favorite game back in the day.

I'm glad that Retro is making it because they are really good, but I can't help but wonder what they would create if they made a new IP. I don't think that'll even happen though as I'm pretty sure that Nintendo owns them.

They were making some original projects before Metroid Prime and they all kind of sucked, so they were cancelled.

They can certainly make new IP - nothing to do with Nintendo is preventing them from doing that - but obviously they won't let them go ahead with it if they don't think it'll turn out well.

DragonForce
Aug 30, 2010, 06:21 AM
DK kicked ass back in the day.

I think Nintendo is at a point where they're afraid to make new franchises so they keep recycling old ones. Sooner or later those franchises are gonna die out. Star Fox is one that hasn't been well-received since Star Fox 64.

Metroid is definitely one of their best and most mature. I wish they would give up the rights of Metroid to someone else. I don't want to own a Nintendo system just to play Metroid.

Reksanden
Aug 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
DK kicked ass back in the day.

I think Nintendo is at a point where they're afraid to make new franchises so they keep recycling old ones. Sooner or later those franchises are gonna die out. Star Fox is one that hasn't been well-received since Star Fox 64.

Metroid is definitely one of their best and most mature. I wish they would give up the rights of Metroid to someone else. I don't want to own a Nintendo system just to play Metroid.

On that, i'd have to say they won't, because it's been Nintendo making every one of the Metroid games. To me, it doesn't seem like it would work, simply because Nintendo IS Metroid. However, they could make a Metroid game and release it to multiple platforms. Kinda like Monster Hunter.... But then again, each MH game tends to be exclusive to one system.

joefro
Aug 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
They were making some original projects before Metroid Prime and they all kind of sucked, so they were cancelled.

They can certainly make new IP - nothing to do with Nintendo is preventing them from doing that - but obviously they won't let them go ahead with it if they don't think it'll turn out well.

Ah, okay. I didn't know that they had explored other IPs. The only reason I said Nintendo was preventing them is because, to my knowledge, Nintendo's new IPs come from their main studios in Japan.

Outrider
Aug 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ah, okay. I didn't know that they had explored other IPs. The only reason I said Nintendo was preventing them is because, to my knowledge, Nintendo's new IPs come from their main studios in Japan.

I gotcha. You might actually be right about that - I can't remember the last new IP out of a non-Japanese studio for Nintendo, unless you count a somewhat-related spin-off like Battalion Wars.

Tetsaru
Aug 31, 2010, 07:13 AM
I loved playing the Donkey Kong Country games, as well as DK64. The E3 trailer of this new DK game looks great, but a friend of mine pointed out something that's bugging both of us now: where are the Kremlings?? I didn't see King K. Rool or any of the old enemies anywhere...

[spoiler-box]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVq7XNV7K0w
[/spoiler-box]

And concerning the Metroid series... Other M looked promising as well, but G4's review (http://g4tv.com/videos/48319/Metroid-Other-M-Review/) showed me a bunch of game-breaking things that REALLY bothered me... >_<

The Skyward Sword Zelda game REALLY concerns me, especially after watching its E3 presentation. Even Miyamoto and the other guy were having trouble getting the stupid waggle controls to work (even though supposedly it was interference), and it was frustrating enough in Twilight Princess; I really wish they would make that kind of stuff optional for gamers who don't like using them. They didn't reveal anything related to the storyline, fights and game mechanics seemed like a chore, the environments looked like they were ripped from the previous game, Link doesn't seem to have any special transformations or powers yet other than the swordplay and other items... I guess it's still too early to judge it, but I don't like what I see so far:

[spoiler-box]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osCUWRluCuc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W2Zu--jp8&feature=related
[/spoiler-box]

I'm just afraid that Nintendo's recent philosophy of constantly trying to innovate and re-invent how gamers play games is eventually going to bite them in the ass, similar to how the Sonic series has been going through a period of where he's being presented in all these scenarios where he doesn't belong. I'd personally rather play a sequel to a series that wasn't much different to the others (IF the others were good to begin with) rather than play a sequel that was entirely revamped and felt completely out of place compared to my past experiences with that series.

Also, did I mention that I fucking HATE waggle controls? :nono:

Reksanden
Sep 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
Pretty much.

FOkyasuta
Sep 1, 2010, 10:02 PM
Needs To Be Like Its Roots Or Else Its A Pile Of Hot Steaming ****.

Ethateral
Sep 2, 2010, 06:00 PM
Needs To Be Like Its Roots Or Else Its A Pile Of Hot Steaming ****.
Oh, like how Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts was terrible since it strayed away from it's roots? From the trailer, it looks very similar to the classics. I'm getting it.

FOkyasuta
Sep 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
Oh, like how Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts was terrible since it strayed away from it's roots? From the trailer, it looks very similar to the classics. I'm getting it.
Hes Got A Point.... Maybe Have Some Old Friends? Or Remixed Tunes From The First 3???

Reksanden
Sep 2, 2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah..... Games outside of their roots can be good. Look at Crystal Chronicals, Dissidia and FF 12. Also, don't forget PSO. It's roots were turn-based.

Volcompat321
Sep 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have the SNES Donkey Kong Country on my phone, why would I want it on my Wii? :P

I do love the game, but not enough to buy it again, for the Wii.

Ethateral
Sep 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have the SNES Donkey Kong Country on my phone, why would I want it on my Wii? :P

I do love the game, but not enough to buy it again, for the Wii.

I used to own all three on my SNES. I have ROMs of them, and I have all three on my Wii right now. LOL. <3

AlexCraig
Sep 2, 2010, 06:11 PM
Personally, I think the new DKC looks great. Sure it doesn't have K. Rool. But if you keep going the same route with it, it gets tiresome and hackneyed. Something new, yet similar to the old, is welcome in my book.

Volcompat321
Sep 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
I used to own all three on my SNES. I have ROMs of them, and I have all three on my Wii right now. LOL. <3

I still own all three!
They are in my box with my Atari, SEGA, Playstation 1, and a few other things.
Got a Virtual Boy in there too.

But my pone has emulators for it, so I can get my nostalgia on the go, since I always have my phone on me.

I might get at least the first one on my Wii, if I get some extra money or something, but it wont be a priority.

Gimme some Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii, and I'll buy it.

FOkyasuta
Sep 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
Look At Rare Back In The Day! Think They Can Revive It Now?

Ethateral
Sep 2, 2010, 06:22 PM
Wasn't Rare bought by Microsoft? Rare was superb back in the day...

FOkyasuta
Sep 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
Well They Could Do What They Did Back Then. REVIVE Old Franchises, Like Conker, Jet Force Jemni, Perfect Dark And Most Of All Donkey Kong. =3

I still own all three!
They are in my box with my Atari, SEGA, Playstation 1, and a few other things.
Got a Virtual Boy in there too.

But my pone has emulators for it, so I can get my nostalgia on the go, since I always have my phone on me.

I might get at least the first one on my Wii, if I get some extra money or something, but it wont be a priority.

Gimme some Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii, and I'll buy it.

You Got A VB To? Bleh Was A Faliure.. But Just Add A Whole Bunch Of Other Systems Like The Sega Ones For Example. And It Wont Feel The Some With Out An SNES Controller.

Outrider
Sep 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm genuinely surprised by all the favorable memories people seem to have of Donkey Kong 64. That game was one of Rare's worst, by far.

I mean, unless you loved having to redo the same level five times to collect the dozen or so different (though effectively the same) collectibles in each level.

FOkyasuta
Sep 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
More Like DKC,1,2&3.

Tetsaru
Sep 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm genuinely surprised by all the favorable memories people seem to have of Donkey Kong 64. That game was one of Rare's worst, by far.

I mean, unless you loved having to redo the same level five times to collect the dozen or so different (though effectively the same) collectibles in each level.

I thought it was a pretty cool system; personally, I DO love that kind of stuff. It allowed you to re-explore each level by using each Kong's unique abilities to get to those areas you couldn't reach before, essentially making each level feel a lot larger and more immersive. That, and the multi-stage boss fight against King K. Rool using each Kong was pretty fun too. Now that I think about it, DK64 probably would've made a fun multiplayer co-op game.