PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 I can't see myself buying this game, but...

Bendilin
Aug 30, 2010, 09:01 AM
I was extremely disappointed with PSU and AotI. Although they had nice features (duel weapons, different weapon types in each hand, tons of character customization) I felt it was a pretty bad game compared to Phantasy Star Online.

I adored Phantasy Star Zero to pieces, though.

Do you guys think I would enjoy PSP2, or should I just avoid it?
Does it include all of the special items like Miku's Leek and the Pizza Hut box, or are they going to be removed like the special items in the NA version of PSzero?

"En"
Aug 30, 2010, 09:11 AM

This is just my opinion. I'm not sure if anyone shares this thought. But to me, Phantasy Star Portable 2 is what PSU should have been. It's the true prodigy to Phantasy Star Online. In fact, it's the first Phantasy Star title since PSO Ep.1&2 for Gamecube that has not disappointed me in some massive way. Granted, there are a few insignificant things I find upsetting, but all in all, the game has been, and surely will continue to be, an enjoyable experience to me.

Would I recommend it? Definately. Will you enjoy it? I suppose that depends on the magnitude to which you enjoyed Phantasy Star Online.

vfloresjr24
Aug 30, 2010, 09:42 AM
This is just my opinion. I'm not sure if anyone shares this thought. But to me, Phantasy Star Portable 2 is what PSU should have been. It's the true prodigy to Phantasy Star Online. In fact, it's the first Phantasy Star title since PSO Ep.1&2 for Gamecube that has not disappointed me in some massive way. Granted, there are a few insignificant things I find upsetting, but all in all, the game has been, and surely will continue to be, an enjoyable experience to me.

Would I recommend it? Definately. Will you enjoy it? I suppose that depends on the magnitude to which you enjoyed Phantasy Star Online.

I agree with you.

parabolee
Aug 30, 2010, 09:47 AM

I also agree 100%.

PSU was very disappointing after about 50 hours. Synthing items and leveling up PA's became a big choir. PSPo2 fixes all that and is a lot more like PSO.

Loved the hell out of PSZ too, and I think PSPo2 is better so far (6 hours of demo play) :D

ZeroXRaven
Aug 30, 2010, 10:08 AM
LOL I have put 15 hours in the demo of PSPo2 and it's freaking so fun! :D

Infinite Eternity
Aug 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
There pretty much isn't a limit to what you can do. It's not about do the typical combinations. Be original, create your own style, have fun with it. There is a lot to experiment with. I never really played the other Phantasy Stars but this one offers tons of freedom. I think you would enjoy it.

I've put in 65 logged hours into the demo and I'm still having fun. I can only imagine what fun awaits me in the full game.

Akaimizu
Aug 30, 2010, 11:33 AM
The full game is pretty awesome. I mainly only pulled myself away from it because the Western release was coming out and I didn't want to chance a possible burnout from playing too much of it before starting over again in English.

But that's the gist. The game is really back to the whole *customize your character any way you see fit* style many kind of enjoyed back in PSO. The main exception is that you can change classes at any time and with all of your own tweaks to them intact.

In PSO, some of your individual customization came to Mags and such (including armor units), which you could switch to kind of support a different build. In this one, it's setup within the system itself and a new series of custom attributes you can attach along with custom weapon access, units, and such. Respeccing is fun, and while there may be some (strongest builds) the game does allow you to do well with a lot of custom combinations.

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2010, 03:32 PM
To add something to the already quoted post.

My personal thought about the whole PSU franchise is the following:

PSU = Alpha Version
PSU AotI = Beta Version

PSP:2 = the real game.

As it was already told, PSP:2 is what PSU should have been from the very begging, a PSO2.

ShinMaruku
Aug 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
Here is a hint to quality if ST is NOT making the game rest assured the game will be great.
If they are expect a PSU

BIG OLAF
Aug 30, 2010, 03:59 PM
This was pretty funny:

I've been telling one of my friends, who quit PSU a few years ago, about PSP2 for the past couple months. He said he would get it to play with me, but he doesn't want to go and buy a whole PSP system just for one game.

So, he came over to my house last night. I hooked my PSP up to my TV, and booted up the PSP2 demo. I proceeded to show my friend the new features, enemies, weapons, everything. Not five minutes later, he was on his laptop (he brought it to my house), browsing Amazon for a cheap PSP, raving about how he needs to have PSP2.

I lol'd.

Mike
Aug 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
Does it include all of the special items like Miku's Leek and the Pizza Hut box, or are they going to be removed like the special items in the NA version of PSzero?

The simple answer is "Try the demo." That's what demos are for. If you don't have a PSP, then watch some of the videos that people have been posting. And if that still doesn't do it for you, well, I think everyone else has done a decent job of explaining it above.

DoubleJG
Aug 30, 2010, 05:22 PM

I also agree with this.

I love PSO, but I feel like PSZero was a bit more of a portable PSO. PSPo2 has some of PSO's qualities as well, such as different drops based on class, and truly is PSO's successor in many ways as others have already stated.

Ambrai
Aug 30, 2010, 06:31 PM

This is the most perfect response to your question, I also agree whole heartedly.

BIG OLAF
Aug 30, 2010, 06:56 PM
Will you enjoy it? I suppose that depends on the magnitude to which you enjoyed Phantasy Star Online.

Wait, I just read that part. I didn't like PSO at all (besides the soundtrack, at least), but yet I love PSP2. What does that mean?

"En"
Aug 30, 2010, 07:03 PM
Wait, I just read that part. I didn't like PSO at all (besides the soundtrack, at least), but yet I love PSP2. What does that mean?

That, like the rest of my paragraph, was for the original poster, who had thoroughally enjoyed PSO. To my understanding, at least. PSP2 doesn't take its entire legacy from PSO, however. It stands as an excellent game on its own. But to those who played and liked PSO, there is much they can relate to.

BIG OLAF
Aug 30, 2010, 07:12 PM
PSP2 doesn't take its entire legacy from PSO, however. It stands as an excellent game on its own. But to those who played and liked PSO, there is much they can relate to.

Yes, there are a few of PSO's features that I'm glad to see returning, such as finding PAs instead of leveling them. Also, I'm glad that Sega wised up and scrapped PSU's completely luck-based grinding and synthesizing systems. They were so utterly flawed, especially the grinding.

Mikura
Aug 30, 2010, 07:21 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone else' sentiments. PSU was a huge disappointment, AotI was a lot better, but it still needed a lot of improvements to be a satisfying game, and PS0, although good, felt more like a PSO spin-off than a true successor of the original PSO games on DC and GC. I can honestly say after 8 years since PSO Ep1 & Ep2's release that this feels and plays like the next evolution in the Phantasy Star Online franchise. I won't count Episode 3 since it was a card game and steered away from the original PSO formula and Blue Burst was more like Ep1 & Ep2 v.2. (Don't misunderstand that statement btw. I played both games and enjoyed them immensely).

And before I end this post, I want to point out that I realize you can't compare PSO to PSU, but the point I'm trying to get across is PSP2 feels like it's the true spiritual successor to PSO, not a direct sequel. I just wish they would have released this on PS3 or 360 as well. But I can live with so-so graphics on my TV if it means playing the best PS game to date.

Xelor
Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 AM
I miss PSO. My GC copy broke and I have no PC to play BB. Then I discovered this game around a year ago and saw that the Japanese demo is coming out. I played it and loved it. Only problem was that I didn't know if such epicness would ever reach America. But now obviously it is and it's out with the US demo with finally 14 days left until the actual game comes out. I had no clue how I prevented myself from buying the JP version but I just did.

All I'm saying is, it's worth waiting for even though the wait was unnecessary of SEGA. They finally realized what they did wrong, fixed it, and made it better.