PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if...

Talwin
Sep 7, 2010, 02:54 AM
...if they re-released PSO, but based on the PSP:2 or PSZ engine? As in having your char be able to roll, have a new range of weaps etc.

I think I'd like to see the characters movement improved - it always amazes me when I play PSO again how much the movement resembles that of a tank! Not so sure on the weapons side, I'd like to have all the original weapons/armour in the game but happy to have extra content :D

It'd have to be balanced though, with the ability to dodge attacks the enemies would probably have to hit harder and move faster perhaps?

I only started this thread to start conversation btw lol ^^;

Raikomaru
Sep 7, 2010, 03:38 AM
I believe it would do more harm than good if they tried to do that. PSO had a winning formula and I personally don't believe they should tinker with it. If the want to re-release PSO, they should do so with basically the original game, though current-gen graphics and new items/areas would be ok! :)

Talwin
Sep 7, 2010, 04:09 AM
Yeah I agree on the most part. I still think controlling your character could be polished a bit, just to avoid the annoyance of get "stuck" on walls. Rolling and dodging aren't that big of a deal, at least not for PSO.

Shame that in all likelihood PSO2 wouldn't have the same formula =(

Are there any changes you'd like to see besides extra content?

Raikomaru
Sep 7, 2010, 04:25 AM
Well, I mentioned current-gen graphics, but I don't want to see the game re-done. Just updated. I love the look and feel of PSO, so I'd just like to see the normal graphics refined and perfected. As far as movement goes, yea, I agree it could be a little smoother, but I wouldn't want to see too much that would greatly change it. I like how the movement is for the most part and too much change would make the game feel different. One thing I would like to remain intact is how you fight. I love the timed 3-hit combo. It's a simple way to eliminate button-mashing and it makes the game that much more fun when you actually have to pay attention.

Changes I'd like:
-graphical refinement
-slight movement refinement
-new items/areas

Mike
Sep 7, 2010, 05:42 AM
I think I'd like to see the characters movement improved - it always amazes me when I play PSO again how much the movement resembles that of a tank!

Honestly, I feel like Zero moves more like a tank. It's so stiff that PSO feels as smooth as butter. If PSO does come back, I'd like to see it with a new PSO-like system. Not Zero, not PSU or PSP2's PSU based combat system but something different. Not completely different as there are good things about all three systems but some kind of amalgamation of the lot maybe.

Raikomaru
Sep 7, 2010, 06:09 AM
Yea, Zero's movement sucked. You were limited to 8 directions rather than 360 control.... :disapprove:

TheToyDolls
Sep 7, 2010, 09:31 AM
Changes I'd like:
-graphical refinement
-slight movement refinement
-new items/areas

Those are some of the best changes I think all PSO vets would agree on. I'd also love to see more quests, and much more lively NPCs (sometimes playing offline the NPCs just feel like props to me). Not sure how they'd do that, but I think it would make lobby areas more involving. Maybe add some type of gambling merchant with a small chance to get special weapons/armor that are good (but not too good).

Kent
Sep 7, 2010, 01:30 PM
Basically everything stemming from Phantasy Star Universe has been pretty much entirely a mistake. It took Sonic Team handing off development of the Phantasy Star Portable games to a separate development team to have the clarity of adding in things like the roll ability.

I think I'd be okay with a few changes in the form of some of the few good ideas that have been implemented into the series since Phantasy Star Online... Such as holding vs. tapping the attack button to differentiate between heavy and normal attacks (keeps the same functionality, and it's something a lot of gamers are familiar with anyway... And it frees up an Action Palette slot), a dodge roll is nice to have (there's something to use that extra Action Palette slot on) and could end up adding a decent amount of depth to battles in general.

Special attacks for melee weapons is a good idea, but there needs to be something in place to prevent them from just being spammable - the system in PSP2, where they draw from a low-capacity, constantly-charging pool that regenerates chunks when you do standard attacks properly is a great idea for this (and one that has been seen in several other games already) - however, this needs to be separate from TP used for casting techniques.

Oh, and techniques need to be castable regardless of whatever you have equipped. Whoever thought that binding them to casting weapons was a good idea needs to be shot.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 7, 2010, 04:33 PM
yah, id agree with graphical refiinement slight movement and new items/areas

Seasqwaa
Sep 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yea, Zero's movement sucked. You were limited to 8 directions rather than 360 control.... :disapprove:

Actually, you weren't confined to 8 directions exactly...
It's just like PSO with the keyboard.
Moving the to the left or right will move you in a slight circle. Letting you face any direction you wanted to.
It worked quite well for both.
It's also probably the most effective way to move with four "buttons".

Anyway, I still prefer the console movement by far.
I say keep the old formula, but update it a bit to make it feel more current.
Dodging would take away imo, so keep that out.
Items MUST drop.
A good online setup would be appreciated.
Special Weapons MUST feel unique. (PA's took the feel away)

Raikomaru
Sep 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
Well, it felt like 8 directions to me.

Getintothegame
Sep 9, 2010, 02:10 AM
Well, either way, I'm expecting to hear something at TGS this year. Even a teaser. PSU isn't going anywhere (in Japan, at least) but I'm thinking that something will be announced soon in regards to a PSO sequel.

I'm extremely optimistic - we'll see!

doubleEXP
Sep 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
I believe it would do more harm than good if they tried to do that. PSO had a winning formula and I personally don't believe they should tinker with it. If the want to re-release PSO, they should do so with basically the original game, though current-gen graphics and new items/areas would be ok! :)

This is basically what I was hoping for when PSU was first announced.

It's what I'm still hoping we'll get some day.

A game that plays like PSO, just more polished for today, and make sure it includes:

10 full areas (with 2-3 levels per, plus a new boss so 10 new bosses total)

All reasonably possible PSO classes:
* HUmar, HUmarl, FOmar, FOmarl, RAmar, RAmarl
* HUnewm, HUnewearl, RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOnewm, FOnewearl
* HUcast, HUcaseal, RAcast, RAcaseal

All original mag types (for nostalgia) plus 100+ new possible mag types

Same person doing the music (my [insert deity of choice here] was that music amazing)

All original weapon types (for nostalgia) plus at least 2 new weapon types per class

That sort of thing. It would be awesome.

I've been waiting for an online rpg as good as PSO ever since GC PSO came to an end. I'm still waiting... :)

Getintothegame
Sep 9, 2010, 02:54 PM
Same person doing the music (my [insert deity of choice here] was that music amazing)

It was mostly Fumie Kumatani and Hideaki Kobayashi. She and Hideaki has helped create some incredible music for games including Sonic Adventure, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, PSO Ep.I, II, III, and IV, and PSU.

Others whom have contributed include Hideaki Kobayashi and Kenichi Tokoii. I'd love whatever game they create as long as some of this team is brought back again.

doubleEXP
Sep 9, 2010, 03:28 PM
It was mostly Fumie Kumatani and Hideaki Kobayashi. She and Hideaki has helped create some incredible music for games including Sonic Adventure, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, PSO Ep.I, II, III, and IV, and PSU.

Others whom have contributed include Hideaki Kobayashi and Kenichi Tokoii. I'd love whatever game they create as long as some of this team is brought back again.

Thank you very much for the info, Getintothegame.

carsten
Sep 30, 2010, 07:01 PM
This is basically what I was hoping for when PSU was first announced.

It's what I'm still hoping we'll get some day.

A game that plays like PSO, just more polished for today, and make sure it includes:

10 full areas (with 2-3 levels per, plus a new boss so 10 new bosses total)

All reasonably possible PSO classes:
* HUmar, HUmarl, FOmar, FOmarl, RAmar, RAmarl
* HUnewm, HUnewearl, RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOnewm, FOnewearl
* HUcast, HUcaseal, RAcast, RAcaseal

All original mag types (for nostalgia) plus 100+ new possible mag types

All original weapon types (for nostalgia) plus at least 2 new weapon types per class

That sort of thing. It would be awesome.

I've been waiting for an online rpg as good as PSO ever since GC PSO came to an end. I'm still waiting... :)

This is pretty much exactly what PSO2 needs to be.

Unfortunately, I can't help but feel like they will make it a better looking PSU, which will be terrible. I think we will know as soon as video footage of the game is released whether or not its going to be good. It has to feel like PSO.

paracelsus
Sep 30, 2010, 11:29 PM
I think the Original PSO will just be a one shot treasure, and Sega will never be able to obtain its greatness ever again. It happens to everything even Music where you get an artist that is a one hit wonder.

Pirrip
Sep 30, 2010, 11:37 PM
PSO + new weapon types from PSZ + Dodge roll from PSZ = Win.