PDA

View Full Version : I do hope some good news at Tokyo Game Show

Para
Sep 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
The thing is... Im ready to buy a Playstation Portable console. However, with Tokyo Game Show looming so close to Phantasy Star Portable 2's North American release date makes me wonder if Sony will announce a price drop at TGS.

Why announce a price drop at TGS? The PSP's lifetime is dwindling with the coming of 3DS after Nintendo dropped the gloves at E3 2010. In hopes that Sony will respond with a price drop on the PSP and the announcement of Playstation Portable 2, I am stuck on the fence on when I am going to buy my PSP so I can play PSPo2.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 releases on September 14.
Tokyo Game Show starts on the 16th and runs through to the 19th.

My main concern is that... I hope I don't fall behind too much with the online crowd. ;| Are you having the same dilemma?

Wayu
Sep 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Halo: Reach releases on September 14. That'll pose a factor in this issue; what role it will be will be...well, dunno.

-Wayu

zeital
Sep 9, 2010, 12:44 AM
personally if they are going to anouce a Playstation Portable 2, then it wont be out any time soon, if ur really consered, don't buy new, get a 2nd hand psp, they work just fine and cost less

DoubleJG
Sep 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
It was announced today that the opening cinematic & song for PSPo2i will be shown at this year's TGS, so there's a little something to look forward to (if anything).

Wayu
Sep 9, 2010, 01:00 AM
o.0

Nice. Bad thing I don't live in Tokyo anymore.

-Wayu

Izuna
Sep 9, 2010, 01:23 AM
They don't tend to announced new hardware like that at TGS, usually at E3. Japan wouldn't be all that impressed.

Akaimizu
Sep 9, 2010, 07:00 AM
True. The best way to get a PSP is 2nd hand. A good 2000 or 3000 can be bought for fairly cheap, nowadays. And you'll have the entire PSP library to work with. Sony's next portable console, I don't see coming too soon. They aren't exactly a company to react fast to competition. They've gotten too use to brand-name recognition to sell their product. The world knows they need to come up with something. Something big. And something that includes as much of those nice features Sony fans have been sending them requests for. The big question is whether Sony knows that. They tend to do business with that ethnocentric-like point of view. The world revolves around us.

But perhaps, they're taking the time to listen, and they've been spending good time in market research and R&D, but are not ready to present the next PSP since the plans and prototype aren't finalized. It's better to make the announcement and feature-set good than to make the announcement now.

Mike
Sep 9, 2010, 07:11 AM
I'm expecting some interesting software announcements at TGS but since Sony couldn't get their stuff together and announce a new PSP at E3 I doubt they'll do it in Tokyo.

T_Esquire
Sep 9, 2010, 07:13 AM
Why all the talk of a new PSP? They only just released their little abomination PSPgo this year, little early to be talking sequels just yet.

r00tabaga
Sep 9, 2010, 07:24 AM
I love my PSPgo but I still think they can improve on it by adding dual analog sticks, touch screen functionality & obviously a more powerful graphics processor w/backwards compatibilty. Then they can have more of my hard-earned $$$.

Mike
Sep 9, 2010, 07:30 AM
Didn't the DS come out shortly after the GBA Micro was released? Just because there's a new model of old hardware on the market doesn't mean that makers won't come out with new hardware.

zeital
Sep 9, 2010, 07:49 AM
the psp GO should never of hit shelfs, alot of games don't have DD versons, one of the new ones being kingdomhearts BBS, tho i agree it should have touch screen if they made a new one

Izuna
Sep 9, 2010, 08:04 AM
Whatever...
The 3DS is on my list ^_^ (and it won't get off it unless SEGA makes a handheld Dreamcast).

Kyo daikun
Sep 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
Why all the talk of a new PSP? They only just released their little abomination PSPgo this year, little early to be talking sequels just yet.

PSPGo was released this time last year pretty much in europe

zeital
Sep 9, 2010, 08:16 AM
lol a agree with Izuna a 3DS is on my 'to save for' list, if there is a next gen psp, i dount it will hit austrlia any time soon

Talwin
Sep 9, 2010, 09:53 AM
Whatever...
The 3DS is on my list ^_^ (and it won't get off it unless SEGA makes a handheld Dreamcast).

Amen to that!

Ambrai
Sep 9, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well Sony has disclosed that it has been working on the successor to the PSP for a few years now, and there have been reports that the earliest we would see it is December 2011. Just searching for PSP 2 yields interesting results.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/next-gen-psp-to-have-touch-controls-on-the-wrong-side/

Another thing to keep in mind is Sony has stated many times that they view the lifecycle of their products to be 10 years.

Para
Sep 9, 2010, 06:32 PM
Well Sony has disclosed that it has been working on the successor to the PSP for a few years now, and there have been reports that the earliest we would see it is December 2011. Just searching for PSP 2 yields interesting results.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/next-gen-psp-to-have-touch-controls-on-the-wrong-side/

Another thing to keep in mind is Sony has stated many times that they view the lifecycle of their products to be 10 years.

10 years seems absurd given the fact that technology advances at a rapid pace. What's more important is that if you have technology that is even a few years old, the depreciation on it goes fast.

Ambrai
Sep 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
Well keep in mind they still sell Playstation 2 systems. It's more about support than anything. They will continue to release new technology during that lifecycle. Based on their track record, they release new technology every 5 years.

Krank32oz
Sep 10, 2010, 12:20 AM
I read that there were talks of a new PSP but people said that it would be at least a year if not longer till they would release it. And you can kind cheap 3000's for less then 120 now. I would just go for it and trade in your old psp when the new one comes out!