PDA

View Full Version : YMMV: Getting PSP2 at 12:01am on the 14th.

Ambrai
Sep 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
For those who don't know, many Gamestops are holding a 12:01am Halo Reach launchparty on the 14th. I verified with the manager that if they have a game in stock that also launches on that day, that they can sell it during the launch party as well.

He did warn, however, that not all stores will be doing this, so you will want to call if you plan on being the first person online...

VorpalLord
Sep 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
Wish I could do this, ill be getting my copy around noon on the 14th >.>

r00tabaga
Sep 10, 2010, 11:32 AM
...so essentially it's Monday at midnite correct? Nice! PSPgo is 4pm Tuesday for those looking to D/L it.

Cron-Z
Sep 10, 2010, 11:38 AM
PSPgo is 4pm Tuesday for those looking to D/L it.

4 to 8 PM Eastern... Sony doesn't update the PS Store at the same time every week.

Ethateral
Sep 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
...so essentially it's Monday at midnite correct? Nice! PSPgo is 4pm Tuesday for those looking to D/L it.

It's Tuesday at midnight.

My only concern however, is that it might shipping on the 14th and arriving on the 15th, like SEGA has done in the past. I'm hoping they don't as I took that day off. I'll be able to get it at 10am EDT on Tuesday if it really does.

Akaimizu
Sep 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
True. Midnight Releases may not have PSP2 ready because it may not have even arrived in the store yet. Being it's not some big *huge* release, as one might suspect, they may not get the game until the next day or so.

Ambrai
Sep 10, 2010, 12:00 PM
All these concerns are very valid. The manager was not able to comment as to if they had them already (many stores receive them prior to the release date, but are not allowed to sell). However, if they are being shipped to a distribution center first and then to the stores, there is a good chance they would be on the same truck as Halo due to the size of the shipments.

kirtblue
Sep 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
that would be nice to get it on the 14th but im not expecting it till the 15th

Witchblade56
Sep 10, 2010, 03:48 PM
So 4-8 pm est on tueday he 14th is that right? For us psp-go users?

Akaimizu
Sep 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
I just talked with someone at Gamestop today. Looks like the shipment for Halo Reach will not include PSP2 in it. The PSP2 game is coming at a separate shipment to be available on the 15th. Maybe this isn't true for all stores, but it is within my area of distribution.

Perhaps the Digital Download version will come out first. (Didn't matter since I was planning on getting both)

DoubleJG
Sep 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
4 to 8 PM Eastern... Sony doesn't update the PS Store at the same time every week.

Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for this information for some time now.

Seth Astra
Sep 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Judging by what Akaimizu said, I'd love to camp out the night of the 14/15th to get it as soon as the store opens. However, I don't have a gamestop in my town.

Eclipsed57
Sep 10, 2010, 08:48 PM
well i would call your store to be sure, but i know the manager at mine and he said it will be there for midnight release

reala728
Sep 10, 2010, 09:30 PM
lol good luck with that op. i have a 3000 but im still going with digital for faster load times.

and yeah psn definitely does NOT update the same time every week.. anyone who was waiting for scott pilgrim the game knows this :/

Akaimizu
Sep 11, 2010, 07:15 AM
Well, I want the Physical copy mainly for the case and stuff. (I'm an odd Phantasy Star collector, that way), but I'm getting the Digital Copy for the convenience and the ability to play it on any of my PSPs, including the Go. The Digital Copy is so I can play on my Widescreen TV set, relaxing on my couch with a PS3 controller. It's the best way to spend your hundreds of hours playing PSP2, I assure you. :) :)

Best thing is that I can just lift the unit off the cradle at any time I need to take this on the road, fully charged. (Or at least, away from home).

Ambrai
Sep 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
lol good luck with that op. i have a 3000 but im still going with digital for faster load times.

and yeah psn definitely does NOT update the same time every week.. anyone who was waiting for scott pilgrim the game knows this :/

Mind you I didn't see any concrete proof either way, but it seems that doing an install off the disc, would provide the same speed increases as a pure digital download.

Ethateral
Sep 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
Mind you I didn't see any concrete proof either way, but it seems that doing an install off the disc, would provide the same speed increases as a pure digital download.

I had the import and I can say with the data install, it still lags for weapons.

Typestatic
Sep 11, 2010, 10:08 AM

As Ethateral said, there is still weapon lag with the install...
Which is quite noticeable during infra-structure mode when switching @_@

Take note that the install isn't similar to that of Peacewalker or Monhan.
For PSP2 it's roughly 164mb (JP anyway), while the other games offer installs from 300-800mb.

The UMD still spins and with the possible DLC, it takes a little extra time for loading.
Digital D/L > UMD and mentions from before state that the CFW (ISO) version loads quickest.

Ambrai
Sep 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
That is good information and I thank you. I don't believe anyone in the previous thread who had the JP version made that point.

Akaimizu
Sep 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
That lag in infrastructure still exists. But I would also imagine it would be similar for the Digital Download. That Weapon switch lag is normally caused by the latency of syncing the weapon data between players. So it's more of a data transfer thing than a read off the disk issue. Even the demo, which is all digital, had infrastructure weapon switch lag.

Same thing happened for PSU, and for most of us, the entire game is running off the Hard-drive, on that one.

OriginalB
Sep 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Can a PSP 2000 owner get a digital copy from the PSN store?

LeonAlabard
Sep 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
Can a PSP 2000 owner get a digital copy from the PSN store?
Yes, all you need is a memory stick with 2GB or more to store the game (the games uses ~1.2GB).

GantzDetainee
Sep 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
Good for you.The Gamestop near where I live will stock it in their shelf at September 15.

Nidramag
Sep 11, 2010, 08:31 PM
there are many, many stores that get the game days in advance, yet can't sell it until launch because it's a mite illegal

Check with your store before assuming it doesn't have it, folks.

GantzDetainee
Sep 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
^ Just did.They told me they would put it out at 15.

Nidramag
Sep 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
Kill them. Kill them all.

Eclipsed57
Sep 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
^ Just did.They told me they would put it out at 15.

go to another store imo. theres like 7 gamestops within an hour of my house

Omega-R7
Sep 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
lucky i don't get mine till the 17th ... -_-

DarkPhoton
Sep 11, 2010, 10:26 PM
I can't afford it till the 18th >.<

Nidramag
Sep 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
I pre-Ordered this shit the day it came on amazon. In my experience you either get it exactly on release date, or you get it like a week later.

DoubleJG
Sep 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
3 of my local Game Stops didn't even get the shipment for the game yet. One guy said, "We got every game expected for Tuesday except for that one."

Looks like I'll be going DD for this game.

Ryd
Sep 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
The way Game Stop typically works (or used to, when I worked for them) was that with the exception of huge titles (FF, Halo, Madden, etc.), they typically don't receive the games far in advance. Upcoming titles are listed with either a shipping date, usually received/stocked the same day (less likely, and wouldn't be available for a midnight release) or the following day (more likely), or in the case of those hot titles, listed by their street date and received in bulk a week or so earlier so they have plenty available when the store opens on the release date. Most games would fall in the former category, and PS:P2 doesn't command a large enough following over here to really warrant being in the latter.

A trip to the local GS here verified that things really haven't changed; the game could show up on their morning shipment on the 14th, but might not be available until the 15th.

Clunker
Sep 13, 2010, 09:20 PM
Strangely enough, I had a voice message from Gamestop about my reservation. It seems that my copy of PSP2 will arrive Tuesday Evening...

And I know for a fact that that particular store only gets shipments in around noon.

Thought to let folks know that their local GS stores might actually have copies this time tomorrow!

BIG OLAF
Sep 13, 2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, I've been reading all sorts of crazy, mixed information regarding the actual release date. Some Gamestops says they won't have PSP2 in tomorrow, other say they will. Some say it'll arrive in a morning shipment, others say it'll arrive later in the afternoon.

Apparently, it all has to do with your location, and whether or not your stores (Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, etc.) are within relevant distance of a major distribution center. Those who aren't have to wait until the 15th, most likely. Those who are will probably be able to get their hands on a copy sometime tomorrow (early or late, also depending on where you live).

Eback
Sep 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
Called mine, don't have them in tonight, ugh.

RubyEclipse
Sep 13, 2010, 10:26 PM
Most stores will get copies in on the 15th - and digital download should be up and running, along with the servers, by tomorrow night. It is possible that a few stores will have copies in tomorrow, but the best bet is always to call and find out.

BIG OLAF
Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 PM
Most stores will get copies in on the 15th - and digital download should be up and running, along with the servers, by tomorrow night. It is possible that a few stores will have copies in tomorrow, but the best bet is always to call and find out.

I remember that my friend and I went through this exact same guessing game last year on the day PSZ was released. We were tooling around to every store with a video game department for a good chunk of the day. Luckily, the last Gamestop near us had a few copies lying around in random piles of other games (mostly Modern Warfare 2), so we got lucky with that one.

Hopefully we'll get lucky again. ^^;

RubyEclipse
Sep 13, 2010, 10:33 PM
Same thing happened to me with Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II for the gamecube. ;) My friends and I were all racing to try and be the first one with the game. So many calls to Gamestop...

BIG OLAF
Sep 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Same thing happened to me with Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II for the gamecube. ;) My friends and I were all racing to try and be the first one with the game. So many calls to Gamestop...

Yeah, hunting for an "unsure release day" game is pretty nerve-wracking. I'm kind of nervous that we won't be able to find any copies anywhere, and will have to wait until the later afternoon to just go ahead and download the game from the Playstation Store.

DoubleJG
Sep 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hence why I will more than likely be getting the DD for this game, so that I can wake up and begin downloading right off the bat :)

"En"
Sep 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
Although I was originally told by the local Gamestop employee that Phantasy Star Portable 2 would become available on the 15th, I got a call earlier this afternoon informing me that their shipment would be arriving in the evening of the 14th. I intend to go and pick up my copy as soon as possible.

Sadly, I know that there's a lot some people will do in the precious AM hours before I get my copy, so I'm bound to fall behind some of my friends. I'm okay with that, though.

Koiwai_Keiji
Sep 13, 2010, 11:13 PM
Although I was originally told by the local Gamestop employee that Phantasy Star Portable 2 would become available on the 15th, I got a call earlier this afternoon informing me that their shipment would be arriving in the evening of the 14th. I intend to go and pick up my copy as soon as possible.

Sadly, I know that there's a lot some people will do in the precious AM hours before I get my copy, so I'm bound to fall behind some of my friends. I'm okay with that, though.

I also tried to get it tonight, unfortunately I was told my Gamestop's shipment was scheduled for the 15th, so they wouldn't have it tonight with the Halo:Reach release. Its no biggie, but it would've been neat to get a phantasy star release at midnight...