PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users Look Here

Gartywood
Mar 8, 2003, 06:31 PM
IF you went out of your way to get a mac i dont know why you would let anything Microsoft on it BUT here is something funny that i saw in a print ad for MSOfficeX

"And it's the most stable Office Ever Because it was built for OSX" Some advertising agency must have lost its microsoft account for running that campaign

Sune_Walsh
Mar 8, 2003, 09:51 PM
Microsoft has 8 tons of stuff for Mac, yo. And OSX office is the best. Just because YOU have a gruft against Microsoft dosent mean everyone else does.

LollipopLolita
Mar 8, 2003, 09:58 PM
you don't have to have a grudge to have a mac or go out of your way to have a mac.

macs and pcs excel in their own purposes and function

Gartywood
Mar 8, 2003, 11:55 PM
On 2003-03-08 18:58, LollipopLolita wrote:
you don't have to have a grudge to have a mac or go out of your way to have a mac.

macs and pcs excel in their own purposes and function

100% true but when i say go out of your way to have a mac i am really refering to the high price. Plus MS progs are uber expensive (usually) I only get an MS product if i Pirate it.

oh and btw if you forget to write .ppt at the end of a powerpoint file in Office X and email it to yourself and download it in either windows or linux it wont download it right....Great Job Microsoft

edit: Upon reflection realizes that maybe i'm just cheap with my computers. For 60 bux I get an OS that comes with an MS Office compatible office suite (StarOffice) And i couldnt tell you the last time i bought one of those overpriced intel processors. Maybe I need to suck it up and lay out 1500 or 2000 for a loaded mac...Then again Maybe not. hmm this is turning into a rant maybe someone should move it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gartywood on 2003-03-08 21:01 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Mar 8, 2003, 11:58 PM
On 2003-03-08 20:55, Gartywood wrote:

100% true but when i say go out of your way to have a mac i am really refering to the high price

but worth it, my macs have always performed better than my pcs in the long range. plus it's hella sexy

Abaddon
Mar 9, 2003, 01:59 AM
Mac's have always been good for graphics programs, that's as far as i know.

Sashi
Mar 9, 2003, 02:35 AM
Actually, The Office X is better than Office for XP. It has more features and is more stable. Go ask MS if you dont belive me.

Macs a good. Macs are awsome.

*huggles my TiBook*

I did work tech support for a major computer company, that is big on a cow type logo. Did that for 9 months. I was a Macintosh fan before it, and a Macintosh fan afterwords.

Windows and PCs can have some major problems. I dont think there was a day where I didnt have to have someone reload their system. It is a common thing to do, because alot of times, it is the only solution, and sometimes even that does not work. But in that case its usually hardware to blame.

About once a week, the computer I had to use would crash, while I was working with a customer. Sometimes, it would crash 3 times a day, but not that often.

Im sorry, but Windows is just too buggy.

Now, Im not saying the Mac OS (any of them) are perfect. They have bugs too. I fully admit that. But gee, How easy is it to get BSOD on Windows? And How easy is it to get a kernel panic in OS X?

I have had lots of experience with Windows and Mac OS. I have seen many a BSOD. I have yet to see a kernel panic actually happen. Im almost tempted to say it doesnt exist, but I know it does.

Both PCs and Macs have their advantages. Macs do have games, and plenty of them. PCs just happen to have alot more. Macs are good with things like photoshop. PCs are good with business software.

In the end, it comes down to what you are goann use your computer for. Sure, a Mac is pricey, but I think it is truely money well spent. The OS is simple to use, but elegent, and very powerful.

Windows can be complicated to use. Sure, they do try to make it simple. But IMO the more they try to simplify Windows, the more complicated they invertently make it.

I find it amusing that many people use Windows, and hate it. They yell at it, the complain about it, the want it to work like it is supposed to. But yet, for some reason, they continue to use it, and have problems with it, and not do anything to change it. Sure, they may call tech support, and get a few problems fixed here and there, but some problems linger on and on. And they continue to complain.

Its like some people dont realize that there are other OSes out there. Or, they just blindley belive that Macintosh "Sucks" because they used it once for 5 minutes, and couldnt figure it out, or that a freind told them it sucked. Or whatever.

Yes, Macs less software titles. But how many spreadsheet apps do you need? Word processors? Tax programs? Flight Simulators? Anti-virus apps?

Oh, speaking of anti virus...

I dont have any anti virus programs onmy Mac. Am I worried? Nope. There are an exremly limited number of Macintosh Viruses. I have never seen a Mac with a virus, though I do have a virus on a disk somewhere. My Mac didnt come with any anit virus things either. It isnt a concern. People just dont make Mac Viruses. Wanna know how many? 40-100. No, that is not a typo. There is not a comprehensive list. How many Windows Viruses are there? 30,000+

Anyway, Im done. Im not trying to convert any of you to Macintosh. Your free to use what you like. Im just stating the facts, and some of my personal experience.

BrokenHope
Mar 9, 2003, 08:42 AM
On 2003-03-08 23:35, Sashi wrote:
Actually, The Office X is better than Office for XP. It has more features and is more stable. Go ask MS if you dont belive me.

Macs a good. Macs are awsome.

*huggles my TiBook*

I did work tech support for a major computer company, that is big on a cow type logo. Did that for 9 months. I was a Macintosh fan before it, and a Macintosh fan afterwords.

Windows and PCs can have some major problems. I dont think there was a day where I didnt have to have someone reload their system. It is a common thing to do, because alot of times, it is the only solution, and sometimes even that does not work. But in that case its usually hardware to blame.

About once a week, the computer I had to use would crash, while I was working with a customer. Sometimes, it would crash 3 times a day, but not that often.

Im sorry, but Windows is just too buggy.

Now, Im not saying the Mac OS (any of them) are perfect. They have bugs too. I fully admit that. But gee, How easy is it to get BSOD on Windows? And How easy is it to get a kernel panic in OS X?

I have had lots of experience with Windows and Mac OS. I have seen many a BSOD. I have yet to see a kernel panic actually happen. Im almost tempted to say it doesnt exist, but I know it does.

Both PCs and Macs have their advantages. Macs do have games, and plenty of them. PCs just happen to have alot more. Macs are good with things like photoshop. PCs are good with business software.

In the end, it comes down to what you are goann use your computer for. Sure, a Mac is pricey, but I think it is truely money well spent. The OS is simple to use, but elegent, and very powerful.

Windows can be complicated to use. Sure, they do try to make it simple. But IMO the more they try to simplify Windows, the more complicated they invertently make it.

I find it amusing that many people use Windows, and hate it. They yell at it, the complain about it, the want it to work like it is supposed to. But yet, for some reason, they continue to use it, and have problems with it, and not do anything to change it. Sure, they may call tech support, and get a few problems fixed here and there, but some problems linger on and on. And they continue to complain.

Its like some people dont realize that there are other OSes out there. Or, they just blindley belive that Macintosh "Sucks" because they used it once for 5 minutes, and couldnt figure it out, or that a freind told them it sucked. Or whatever.

Yes, Macs less software titles. But how many spreadsheet apps do you need? Word processors? Tax programs? Flight Simulators? Anti-virus apps?

I dont have any anti virus programs onmy Mac. Am I worried? Nope. There are an exremly limited number of Macintosh Viruses. I have never seen a Mac with a virus, though I do have a virus on a disk somewhere. My Mac didnt come with any anit virus things either. It isnt a concern. People just dont make Mac Viruses. Wanna know how many? 40-100. No, that is not a typo. There is not a comprehensive list. How many Windows Viruses are there? 30,000+

Anyway, Im done. Im not trying to convert any of you to Macintosh. Your free to use what you like. Im just stating the facts, and some of my personal experience.

1. You must be using some really messed up pc's my home pc has only ever had BSOD's when a driver i have installed has ended up being buggy, hardly something to blame on the OS when a company writes a buggy driver.

2. The reason there are so few mac virus's is the same reason there are so few limux virus's. Virus writers want to affect the largest amount of people they can and windows based pc's have the largest userbase so of course that is who the virus writers are going to target.

3. Macs may have there advantages, they may look nice, but when i could build 2 or even 3 pc's for the price of a single good mac i know what most people would rather have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Broken Hope on 2003-03-09 05:43 ]</font>

Gartywood
Mar 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
On 2003-03-08 23:35, Sashi wrote:

Speaking of anti-virus.......I dont run an anti virus program on my windows environment....too expensive for the updates adn i'm not scared http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif sure my parents have gotten viruses on their compouters a few times over the years but i have never been infected with a virus (oh wait their was one virus that infected all Office files and when loaded on another computer changed the registration for windows to "Diet Dr. Mountain Dew" Which i was able to clean myself. The way to keep Doze virus free is the be smart.

And I dont run any anti virus on my primary environment (Mandrake Linux 9.0) Although if i were going to get a virus that is where i would get it. I am always downloading programs off the internet and while the stuff from say sourceforge is most definately clean I could concieveably stumble across and malignant prog somewhere on the net

ULTICOMP
Mar 9, 2003, 03:57 PM
LINUX!

LollipopLolita
Mar 9, 2003, 05:09 PM
On 2003-03-09 05:42, Broken Hope wrote:
3. Macs may have there advantages, they may look nice, but when i could build 2 or even 3 pc's for the price of a single good mac i know what most people would rather have.

Yes, but for certain purposes, I wouldn't bother with a PC. I have both PC's and Macs, for some things, I use my PC, for other things, I use my Macs, simple as that. It just comes down to this: both Macs and PC's have things that they are good for, each excel at their own purpose, which is why they are both used. There is really no point arguing which is better than the other when they each have their own uses and people are still going to be biased or opiniated.

Sashi
Mar 9, 2003, 05:26 PM
As for the messed up PC's, Broken Hope, try working Tech Support for a mjor computer company sometime. I garuntee you will get some very nasty calls, and clients.

TerribleDeliMeat
Mar 10, 2003, 11:29 AM
I typically use my mac for multimedia purposes and my pc for gaming, browsing online, etc.

i find macs much easier to use compared to pc...but then again...i've been using macs since 86