PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 PSU to PSP2 Storyline Questions

Cire39
Sep 13, 2010, 03:56 AM
I love the Phantasy Star series and I'm considering picking up PSP2 when it comes out in North America.

I've never played any PSU games or PSP1, will I be missing out on any storyline elements? Should I play those games first to get the full experience?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I couldn't find any other threads that could give me the information I needed. If there's already a thread on this please just post the link here and I'll close this topic.

Thanks!

Kurosu
Sep 13, 2010, 04:32 AM
I haven't played any PS games since the ones on the Sega Genesis, but you're not really missing much since PSP2 is a standalone story.

There are some characters that return from the previous games though, but you don't "need" to know them to get the story.

Infinite Eternity
Sep 13, 2010, 03:02 PM
I know I could find all of episode 3 online but is episode 2 recorded online anywhere?

GantzDetainee
Sep 13, 2010, 03:11 PM
I haven't played PSU but I've played PS:P1 and PSZ.With the exception of PSZ all those three PSU,PSP1 and PSP2 are link in some way but you wont miss alot out of it.Almost all the intro includes the openings story of "three races uniting to fight the SEED" which really sums it up and then divides into the stand alone story of each game.

Nidramag
Sep 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
I know I could find all of episode 3 online but is episode 2 recorded online anywhere?

If you're talking about PSO, Cranberry made a holy shit so detailed story notes about episode one and two, and I think 3. She picked up on things that totally slipped past me and made me realize how much more awesome PSO is story wise than it's given credit for.

DarkPhoton
Sep 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
I would play the games just to get the character connections, Like finding out about Leogini S. Berafort (<3) But its not that important. You will have a few characters that you will look at and think."Should I know this guy?" but other then that nadda.

Masterflower
Sep 13, 2010, 06:16 PM
If I remember correctly... I think the games are linked this way...

PSU Ep1 (Ethan Waber) > PSU Ep2 (Your PSU char) > PSP:1 (Your Portable char) > PSU: AOTI (Your PSU char) > PSP:2 (Your portable char (if you import data from PSP:1 because there is a mission you can do that you meet an old friend from PSP:1)) I dont fully remember when PSP:1 happens but to what I believe... It happens maybe during the middle and ends in the middle of PSU Ep2 because obivious it can't after because of what happens to the you know what lol But if anyone knows the actual timeline for the PSU series, feel free to correct me :3

Storywise for PSP:2 your not missing much but only thing you most likely wont recognize are the ppl from the PSU series and the one person from PSP:1. Only thing your really missing is the events that took place before PSP:2

Izuna
Sep 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
PSU Ep1 -> PSPo1 -> PSU Ep2 -> PSU Ep3 -> PSPo2

PSPo1 takes place in between AotI and Episode 1.

Alexandria
Sep 13, 2010, 06:25 PM
If you check the Glossary on your vision phone it basically gives you the cliffnotes of PSU. You won't miss a ton, though you might get confused about some plotpoints.

Masterflower
Sep 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
There you go lol Knew it had to be before the middle of Ep2

Mike
Sep 13, 2010, 07:43 PM
If you want the nitty gritty, check out this Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/MakotoTsuguri).

Cire39
Sep 13, 2010, 11:11 PM
So PSP2 doesn't have any direct plot connections to PSU or PSP1, but there are references in PSP2 to the older PSU series games?
Is this correct?

Thanks again everybody, your responses have been super helpful.

Alexandria
Sep 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
So PSP2 doesn't have any direct plot connections to PSU or PSP1, but there are references in PSP2 to the older PSU series games?
Is this correct?

Thanks again everybody, your responses have been super helpful.

No. PSP1 takes place before and during PSU AoI. PSP2 takes place 3 years after the events of PSU.

PSO is the one you're thinking of. That has no real link to the universe series. Of course, that doesn't stop Sega from trying to retcon it for fans.

Cire39
Sep 13, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'm just wondering if by not playing PSU and PSP1 before PSP2 I'm going to miss out on anything.
I've played PSO for hundreds of hours and I know it isn't linked to PSU in any way. I just don't know if I should spend the money on the other PSU and PSP titles to get the full experience from PSP2.

Ken_Silver
Sep 13, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'm just wondering if by not playing PSU and PSP1 before PSP2 I'm going to miss out on anything.
I've played PSO for hundreds of hours and I know it isn't linked to PSU in any way. I just don't know if I should spend the money on the other PSU and PSP titles to get the full experience from PSP2.

Having played the entirety of the PSU series... not really. Nothing but minor details. This is being said with the fact that I haven't play PSP2 yet.

Think of the connection between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Nothing but some characters return and when they do, you just meet them over again.

Which leads me to ask two questions: the questions themselves aren't spoilers, but the answers might be. Feel free to use spoiler tags.

A) Whatever happened to our character from PSU Episodes 1-3? Ethan gets all the credit for saving the universe, what about us?!?

B) Where or what happened to the GUARDIANS and the Guardians colony come PSP2?

Alexandria
Sep 13, 2010, 11:56 PM
A) Whatever happened to our character from PSU Episodes 1-3? Ethan gets all the credit for saving the universe, what about us?!?

A: Mysteriously disappeared to the depths of the Neudaiz swamp with a pair of cement shoes.

B: Disbanded? I'unno.

Technically, if you wanted to experience the full story at this point you'd have to buy the 360 version and pay for at least a month. Episode 1 is on the disk in offline, 2 and 3 are online. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep in mind that Ethan Waber is generic dimwit anime hero #1, and Karen Erra is generic dimwit anime love interest of said first dimwit.

Ken_Silver
Sep 14, 2010, 12:05 AM
A: Mysteriously disappeared to the depths of the Neudaiz swamp with a pair of cement shoes.

B: Disbanded? I'unno.

Technically, if you wanted to experience the full story at this point you'd have to buy the 360 version and pay for at least a month. Episode 1 is on the disk in offline, 2 and 3 are online. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep in mind that Ethan Waber is generic dimwit anime hero #1, and Karen Erra is generic dimwit anime love interest of said first dimwit.

Both of those answers are uncool. And I asked because I played PSU Episodes 1-3 on the PC/PS2 servers before they got axed. So I experienced the whole story and just wondered what happened to me... I mean them.

So we got burpkus and the GUARDIANS just disappeared? I am disappoint.

And Ethan wasn't that generic. I liked how he went "Evil" on us in Episode 2. I was thinking "is he really going to blow up the lab with me and Lucaim Nav in it?" And how he got framed in the moving comic was somewhat interesting too. Karen... she didn't interest me.

And it seems as if Ethan > Emilia. I have to finish PSP2 to be sure, but at least Ethan made a decent first impression. Emilia... well... she gets you killed right off the bat. I mean really? I knew I didn't like her from the start. -_-

Mike
Sep 14, 2010, 12:06 AM

A: That's a good question. I know what happens to the PC and Viv in PSP1 but not PSU.

B: They're both still around. Since the PC isn't a Guardian in PSP2 you don't get to visit the Guardian Colony.

Ken_Silver
Sep 14, 2010, 12:10 AM
A: That's a good question. I know what happens to the PC and Viv in PSP1 but not PSU.

B: They're both still around. Since the PC isn't a Guardian in PSP2 you don't get to visit the Guardian Colony.

Oh, so the GUARDIANS just aren't involved in PSP2. Makes sense. Maybe they'll play a point in PSP2: Infinity?

And I was a hero! Ethan, Karen and Laia owe me their dang lives! I want retribution!

*sigh* The one downside to being a created character in a game. When the lore/story is considered, you never existed; even though its clear that some nameless figure from the history books saved everyone. -_-

Mike
Sep 14, 2010, 12:14 AM
Oh, so the GUARDIANS just aren't involved in PSP2. Makes sense. Maybe they'll play a point in PSP2: Infinity?
They are involved. They just take a back seat to Little Wing.

Ken_Silver
Sep 14, 2010, 12:20 AM
They are involved. They just take a back seat to Little Wing.

Interesting. I guess I have to play the game to find out.

:( Still doesn't explain what happened to the PSU Player Character. He/She better be Number 2 or 3 back at the Guardians HQ.

I'm looking at you, SEGA.

Masterflower
Sep 14, 2010, 01:55 AM
This is how it goes, one what happen at the ruins with you and Emilia, I dont buy it. -_- As far as I know, I was just unconscious cuz thats just bs to die like 5 mins into the game lol. As for the Guardians are still around. They are still around being themselves. Your PSU character is still around, I'm pretty sure (at least in my world she is.) Sega just makes Ethan get all the credit because they don't what to put in the extra effort of saying "Oh there was a special Guardian among us." I still wish Sega too advantage of the character import from PSU to PSP:1 but in a different way. Like whatever your PSU character looked like in game, he or she randomly appears during intermissions or whatever, if you dont import, they could have put a generic character instead and it would carry over to this game but again thats wishful thinking... Also, the re-meeting of the PSU characters. Keep in mind that your character from PSP:1 gets discharged from the Guardians. I think that in the JP version if you import your data, the game recognizes you as a former Guardian and while I did played the JP one, I swore I heard everyone call me a former Guardian.