PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Can Someone Tell Me...

Reksanden
Sep 13, 2010, 06:01 PM
Ok, mostly i've been playing PSO and PSZ. I've never played PSU or PSP before, and i'm asking if this is a good game for someone who has always played PSO/PSZ. I realize that since this is the PSP Forum, i'll get a lot of PSP-loving feedback, so i'm also asking on the PSZ forums. Anyway, if you can tell me about PSP(As i'm getting an actual PSP soon), I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Izuna
Sep 13, 2010, 06:05 PM
Ninja Gaiden Black -> Ninja Gaiden II
Phantasy Star Online -> Phantasy Star Universe
More Technical -> More Spam

Argroh Valdios
Sep 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
Least PSPo2 is everything PSU should have been and more.

Izuna
Sep 13, 2010, 06:17 PM
Least PSPo2 is everything PSU should have been and more.

PSPo2's gameplay suits singleplayer more, and in turn fails to be a good multiplayer game.

Unfair Solo Play/Necessary Team Play -> Fair Solo Play/Broken Team Play
Monster Hunter -> God Eater
Guild Wars -> Diablo 2
Phantasy Star Universe -> Phantasy Star Portable 2

You know... I don't even know why I still play this franchise, if it wasn't for me growing up with PSO, I would not be caught playing such broken games such as PSU and PSPo2 for any longer than it takes to complete its Story Modes.

Monster Hunter, Guild Wars, and Phantasy Star Online are the best CRPGs I have played.

ZeroXRaven
Sep 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
I don't think anyone really plays Phantasy Star games to get on a good team....they play because they love the mechanics and love the loot fest....Having others to talk to about it only spices it up...So Izuna while I think your judgment is fair I disagree with it. I haven't had so much fun teaming up with people on an RPG in a longgg time and PSPo2 brings back that sense of community and fun that PSO had...So for the OP....yeah, I highly suggest u buy this game

xBladeM6x
Sep 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
If you have played PSO/PSU, and you liked them remotely, you'll love PSP2. There is nothing that tops it in terms of the PS franchise. It's everything PSU should have been, and is the one true sequel to PSO. It's in my opinion at least, but also most everyone else I've talked to who has seen/played it.

OriginalB
Sep 13, 2010, 07:02 PM
PSPo2's gameplay suits singleplayer more, and in turn fails to be a good multiplayer game.

Unfair Solo Play/Necessary Team Play -> Fair Solo Play/Broken Team Play
Monster Hunter -> God Eater
Guild Wars -> Diablo 2
Phantasy Star Universe -> Phantasy Star Portable 2

You know... I don't even know why I still play this franchise, if it wasn't for me growing up with PSO, I would not be caught playing such broken games such as PSU and PSPo2 for any longer than it takes to complete its Story Modes.

Monster Hunter, Guild Wars, and Phantasy Star Online are the best CRPGs I have played.

I don't know why I still love it either :P I mean it doesn't have anything to do with stuff being broken I just don't understand how I can love a franchise for so long. I mean really, its kind of dated by now hahah. Oh well :)

kongajinken
Sep 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
I only played PSO/PSZ and never played PSU either. I love this game. Much better game then PSZ and better then PSO imo.

I like phantasy star over monster hunter because I don't like realism in my games. The whole tedious boring things to do in it never attracted me much. In fact I "didn't" get into monster hunter for that reason.

I like PSP2 for its fast fluid action style of hack/slash, while having such deep rpg elements.

ZeroXRaven
Sep 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
I only played PSO/PSZ and never played PSU either. I love this game. Much better game then PSZ and better then PSO imo.

I like phantasy star over monster hunter because I don't like realism in my games. The whole tedious boring things to do in it never attracted me much. In fact I "didn't" get into monster hunter for that reason.

I like PSP2 for its fast fluid action style of hack/slash, while having such deep rpg elements.

Same here, Everything u stated I agree with...Monster Hunter to me is LAMEEE and boring and mostly because of the realism of surviving in it...If I want that i'll go be a Fan guest on the show Man Vs. Wild (Love that show) .

I prefer my games arcade style and with deep "game" elements in them...not realism

DoubleJG
Sep 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
My Japanese language partner @ school responded to me asking if Monster Hunter was popular in Japan with the following :

"Oh! MonHan! MonHan! Yes yes, older people like MonHan because of scary monsters and collecting! Very popular to older people!"

ZeroXRaven
Sep 13, 2010, 07:24 PM
My Japanese language partner @ school responded to me asking if Monster Hunter was popular in Japan with the following :

"Oh! MonHan! MonHan! Yes yes, older people like MonHan because of scary monsters and collecting! Very popular to older people!"

haha that is pretty funny :D

Wayu
Sep 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
Story + characters for me.

Which is why I like Final Fantasy more than PSPo2, but I can't play the Xbox much, sooo...

-Wayu

Izuna
Sep 14, 2010, 02:48 AM
MonHan! MonHan! <3 can't wait; I'll see you guys on the Western version of PSPo2, but I'll be blasting through college with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd!

Mike
Sep 14, 2010, 03:01 AM
MHP3 comes out in December so you have a fair amount of time to bide.

Izuna
Sep 14, 2010, 03:08 AM
MHP3 comes out in December so you have a fair amount of time to bide.

3 Months from now is nothing, I may just save up for five copies. *inside PSPo2 joke*

Actually... I only need to buy three more.

Eclipsed57
Sep 14, 2010, 03:36 AM
i played the MH demo on PSP and it felt like a crappy version of PSO with a boring graphical style, am i missing something?

Izuna
Sep 14, 2010, 03:41 AM
i played the MH demo on PSP and it felt like a crappy version of PSO with a boring graphical style, am i missing something?

MonHan is a game where you have to learn more about it yourself; there's just to much for me to post on this PSPo forum... MonHan is cooperative game at its core, and has a system very similar to Phantasy Star Online. Go out, hunt an enemy, bring back spoils -> hunt a bigger enemy, bring back more spoils -> hunt and even bigger enemy, get murdered, upgrade equipment with spoils.

GantzDetainee
Sep 14, 2010, 03:49 AM
Ok, mostly i've been playing PSO and PSZ. I've never played PSU or PSP before, and i'm asking if this is a good game for someone who has always played PSO/PSZ. I realize that since this is the PSP Forum, i'll get a lot of PSP-loving feedback, so i'm also asking on the PSZ forums. Anyway, if you can tell me about PSP(As i'm getting an actual PSP soon), I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

PSP2 is really a great game.Its way better than PSZ in terms of graphics,replayability,multimode but the controls and gameplay are way more complex than PSZ,but dont freet since the game has a tutorial on how things work.

I'm not going to convice you to love the series but before you say anything bad about it go try playing the full game first.

CLARK
Sep 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
PSO = Best game ever
PSP2 = closest thing to PSO so far

Izuna
Sep 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
PSO = Best game ever

I love you.

Kyo daikun
Sep 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
PSO = Best game ever

Truer words have never been typed.

CLARK
Sep 14, 2010, 03:50 PM
I love you.
LMAO!

OriginalB
Sep 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
MonHan is a game where you have to learn more about it yourself; there's just to much for me to post on this PSPo forum... MonHan is cooperative game at its core, and has a system very similar to Phantasy Star Online. Go out, hunt an enemy, bring back spoils -> hunt a bigger enemy, bring back more spoils -> hunt and even bigger enemy, get murdered, upgrade equipment with spoils.

This. Except when he says "get murdered" he means it. Monster Hunter is brutal, but I feel like that's why it's so fun. I can't say I've ever gotten to a point in Phantasy Star where I've straight up gotten wrecked out of anything other than stupidity.

CLARK
Sep 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
This. Except when he says "get murdered" he means it. Monster Hunter is brutal, but I feel like that's why it's so fun. I can't say I've ever gotten to a point in Phantasy Star where I've straight up gotten wrecked out of anything other than stupidity.
Ultimate Olga Flow Solo w/o Scape Dolls? It's pretty rough.

OriginalB
Sep 14, 2010, 03:57 PM
You're intentionally gimping yourself by not bringing scape dolls, no? In Monster Hunter you have to BUFF yourself to try to not die. Bring everything you can so you can try and win. It's a lot of fun but when you get higher in level you begin to call the bosses really nasty names for being so good.

CLARK
Sep 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
You're intentionally gimping yourself by not bringing scape dolls, no? In Monster Hunter you have to BUFF yourself to try to not die. Bring everything you can so you can try and win. It's a lot of fun but when you get higher in level you begin to call the bosses really nasty names for being so good.
True true. But MH3 was too short and easy imo. Everyone just sleep bombs Alatreon. Most of the game Online I just solo'd. Don't get me wrong; I liked it. I just feel unsatisfied. I got everything in the game in like a month. Try that with PSO. Not happening lol

OriginalB
Sep 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
Meh, I haven't played 3. I played MHFU in which i've put in a good 130 hours into it and I still feel like I'm nowhere near finished with it. But, yea, true enough PSO/PSU has a lot of cool loot to search for rather than hunting for salvaged components to create items.

Reksanden
Oct 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry for the VERY slow post. I haven't been able to get on for very long. Anyway, thanks for the help on PSP2. And for MH3..... I absolutely HATE sleep bombing. It feels like cheating to me. If I want something from Alatreon or anything else, i'll just kill them. Even if I have to multiple times. BTW, the MHP3 comes out in the U.S. sometime next year. The one in December is for Japan.

hbmizzle10
Oct 16, 2010, 06:04 PM
i recomend getting psp 2. if you like pso(of course everyone does) you'll like psp2. it brings back some old pso feelings and even alot of the monsters. however, the game isnt without it's bad points ether. as you dwell more into the game you'll realize the makers of the game were kinda lazy in devolpment. your ai partners are more agressive, and stupid. camera constantly get's in the way. some of the bosses( which is dragons im referring too) have outrageously amount of health. they also had this stupid idea of trying to balance the game while giving it a challenge by lowering your resources(like scape dolls and health items), character strength growth, and experience( but allows you to be more agressive.) but didnt balance the enemies or their aggressiveness. they did little to add new to the game. not alot of new costumes. not alot of new weapons. not alot of new enemies. they added online, but they really didnt do much for it. it's a so so kinda game. recomended for ps fans

hbmizzle10
Oct 16, 2010, 06:07 PM
if you really want to get the best experience out of psp2, i recomend playing with other people because playing solo isnt the way to go

Nidramag
Oct 16, 2010, 08:07 PM
Direct Comparisons -
to PSO - best game since PSO, however, not topped.

to PSU - Superior, in my opinion, even though a lot of more typical replayability MMO functions had to be cut due to the system having the savedata, not a server. I personally think it's worth it, but we could have a little more to do outside hunting (lobbies in infinity!<3)

to PSZ - I like PSZ far better than PSU, but I'm bitter that I have a DS Lite that had the common problem of a broken L key. I played PSZ a lot, nearly max leveled two characters. PSPo2 is better than PSZ, however

Alright, on a scale of one to PSO, I rate PSU as a five, PSZ as an seven, and PSPo2 as a nine.

It is a combination of most of the good parts of PSZ and PSP1, and I say PSP1 because PSU has a way more complex system of upgrading, buying, selling, and making items than PSPo2, while PSP1 has a simple system - essentially the same as PSPo2's.
To me, PSPo2 feels close to PSO, with upgraded graphics, and with skills, which I like. The online play can have some variance, the battle mode can be pretty fun, challenge mode can still be a challenge - and I love my challenge modes.
It has the title system, which increases replayability, and includes a lot of those client requests that can spice up the normal missions, and also has some decent damage from the NPC's (I'm glad they heal you a lot, too >.>).
The mirage blasts are awesome, and I LOVE the unique class system to this game, it's simple - but way more customizable, especially with all of the self-preferential choices you can make on abilities and weapons.

Complaints, it's broken. A force will never be able to completely compete with a vanguard, and this system has a lot of favorability and imbalance like this. Still, this creates a problem, with the easy switching of classes, there is essentially no reason to have more than one character, absolutely none. Why make another character for another class when you could make your main character switch classes and get the benefit of it leveling up on him, getting a bigger ability pool for him and training him as well?
I think they should have the same system as PSO, stuck with one class, with the same race not necessarily leveling the same way with all classes.

In short, I like it a lot, but will it warrant the over 15,000 hours of gameplay I have logged on PSO? not even close.

as a side, it also suffers from the horrible writing they've tacked into this series, as I have mentioned many times previously, I am in love with PSO's story system, very deep but let you choose how much you cared to dig up and discover.

Edit : Wow, I can't believe I forgot to talk about Music, I was kind of pressed for time above. The music is, well, nothing compared to PSO. All of PSO's tracks were memorable, well-composed, and mesmerizing, and I love all their seamless transitioning and beautiful melodies. PSPo2 has none of that and I think it suffers greatly. [Many maps with crappy music] < [a few maps with different schemes and beautiful music]

hbmizzle10
Oct 17, 2010, 02:55 AM
i'm agreeing with you on that one nidrameg. the makers added some things, but really didnt make it feel new. when you think about it, the game is more to attract pso fans and to shut them up also