PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Thank God about the voiceovers.

ChaosAngel92
Sep 14, 2010, 09:31 PM
To be honest, I'm very glad they just took the voiceovers out of plain text.

I have said it a lot of times, and I'll say it again.
If it is a japanese game, and If the voices aren't japanese, then take the voices out.

Once again, thanks a lot.

Ethateral
Sep 14, 2010, 09:34 PM
I didn't mind the voices. At least Emilia doesn't do her annoying, "SUGOIIIIIIII~" anymore. >_> I think that's what it was.

Para
Sep 14, 2010, 09:37 PM
lol I think I would've laughed at the SUGOIIIII part.

Ethateral
Sep 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
lol I think I would've laughed at the SUGOIIIII part.

Yeah, it was funny the first few times, but she does it in almost every text bubble, lol.

TheAstarion
Sep 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
I liked Chiwa Saitou's Emilia, especially when she was petulant or flustered. Was hoping for someone with a cute but sultry voice for the dub, but it seems Laura Bailey wasn't available. For shame.

An undub would be intensely difficult for a game like this too; putting english text into the JP version would preclude going online with other western players, and trying to put a JP soundtrack into scenes without any voice data at all in the english language version could be disastrous.

This is, of course, to say nothing of the fact that such a version would be against the ToS for reverse-engineering!

Ken_Silver
Sep 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
I can't say I agree. I don't like Japanese just for the sake of Japanese. Some occasions, the English Voice overs are much better (to me) then the JPN voices.

But if the removal of the voices is what shrunk down the game file size, I can live with it.

But I would have liked to hear those scenes get voices.

Even if Emilia is annoying. But she was annoying to me, before she even spoke, so that's another story. =P

Tyreek
Sep 14, 2010, 09:57 PM
I guess I can deal with the voices being out. But in all honestly, the music direction, coupled with the voice work, placed such emotion into each scene and made me sucked into it. Now without any voices at all, it feels... Bland. I think with the English voice overs, they could do just as good a job as they did with PSP1. That's just my opinion of course.

ZER0 DX
Sep 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
I guess I can deal with the voices being out. But in all honestly, the music direction, coupled with the voice work, placed such emotion into each scene and made me sucked into it. Now without any voices at all, it feels... Bland. I think with the English voice overs, they could do just as good a job as they did with PSP1. That's just my opinion of course.

Agreed, I'm really disappointed about the lack of voices. Hopefully Infinity will be fully voiced.

GantzDetainee
Sep 14, 2010, 10:25 PM

What? no voice over? what a let down...

Mike
Sep 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
I guess I can deal with the voices being out. But in all honestly, the music direction, coupled with the voice work, placed such emotion into each scene and made me sucked into it.
True. I can imagine that some of the later story scenes will be not nearly as engaging as they were without voices. But there's nothing to do about it now.

LeonAlabard
Sep 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
No voiceovers? I wont be able to hear the Chesea voice on the text-scenes anymore?
Oh Great, this is just great...

It wont stop me from buying the game, but I will really miss it. The voices could made text-scenes more enjoyable to me.

Kurosu
Sep 15, 2010, 12:44 AM
I wonder how they will do Chelsea's bit in that one side mission, without voice acting that part won't be as funny or surprising.

Saito_Forte
Sep 15, 2010, 01:16 AM

If it is a japanese game, and If the voices aren't japanese, then take the voices out.

Japan is that way --------------------->

Typestatic
Sep 15, 2010, 01:27 AM
I wonder how they will do Chelsea's bit in that one side mission, without voice acting that part won't be as funny or surprising.

Loved her voicing there, it was rather sexy no doubt.

イエスマム!

Retniwreven
Sep 15, 2010, 01:29 AM
The lack of voices was rather a disappointment.
It just feels lazy.

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 01:30 AM
>____> I just realise that I wont be able to hear emilia's epic speech during the final chapter of the game ; ; Reading it is not the same ; ;

Kurosu
Sep 15, 2010, 02:37 AM
Loved her voicing there, it was rather sexy no doubt.

イエスマム!

LOL, that part was funny. :P
She sure showed him who's boss.

And that reminds me, the event that my signature is a part of, won't be as effective without voicing either.

Kamen Rider Sting
Sep 15, 2010, 06:10 AM
If voice acting was in psp2, I'd be very picky with actors. I'd prefer those of Funimation Studios or VoiceGroup. Anyone know if we can chat through the psp mic for this game? I wanna do voice acting.

Crysteon
Sep 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
I gotta say it feels pretty dull playing without voices. :/ And lol at Yut's teenager voice (it's not bad at all, but it's funny to hear); it kinda freaked me out since I expected a more childish voice like the JP version.

SammaeltheDark
Sep 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
This. The impact of that entire mission is now lost. In the "who's your favorite character" topic I even mentioned how awesome that moment is.

I'm thoroughly disappointed by all the voices being stripped out. I was hoping that the reason it took this long for PSP2 to come out was because they were recording dialog for the entire thing and now we find out they were busy sitting on their thumbs and doing a half-assed job on the localization fraught with inconsistent translations and just plain wrong ones.
From what I've heard of the remaining voices in the cutscenes, they would've at least been good. Though I am a bit disappointed in Shizuru's voice going from over the top, hammy villain in the Japanese to cliche I'm cool because I'm dark villain in US. Disappointed, but still he seems well acted

Yut made me laugh because he voice sounds deeper and more mature than Tonio's! Maybe his balls dropped sooner IN AMERICA

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
Kraz:
...Of getting a headache. Oops. Too late.
By the by, any idea which company's been
taking the lead in subspace research?

So thats why there arent any voices in game. Sega's translation goofs are still afloat XD

Ethateral
Sep 15, 2010, 12:01 PM
Kraz:

So thats why there arent any voices in game. Sega's translation goofs are still afloat XD

I don't see what's wrong?

Tyreek
Sep 15, 2010, 12:04 PM
Who uses "by the by" anymore? o_O; I expected Kraz to be more... Laid back and slang.

Mortalis
Sep 15, 2010, 12:04 PM
Kraz:

'By the by' is just more of a sarcastic way of saying 'By the way' in that line. I liked it. =P

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
By the by? >_> that doesnt make sense lol Also now that I know what Kraz is saying... He pisses me off greatly lol

Ethateral
Sep 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
'By the by' is just more of a sarcastic way of saying 'By the way' in that line. I liked it. =P

Exactly. It fits him. He's a sarcastic, laid back oaf. I honestly use "By the by" when I talk normally.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah. Kraz is definitely sarcastic. It's part of how both Emilia and Kraz's differing attitudes play off each other. How they both often get underneath each other's skin.

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 12:27 PM
O_o; I never heard anyone use the words "by the by" lol

Kraz is just as bad as emilia in terms of doing stuff. Just sits his sarcastic butt down and stares at girls in bikinis all day. At least emilia is out there doing something now that I'm apart of his crew i guess.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
Area dependant. Just come to Maryland and go to the different areas of Maryland, and you'll get a little taste of the US in how you have to adjust to some sayings and words you never expect to hear elsewhere.

Huge use of the word, "Hon/Hun". Huge use of stuff like Balmer and Merlin to pronounce Baltimore or Maryland. But if you leave those patches of areas, people speak different than that. And that's just the small stuff. Then we get to phrases.

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
Merlin I actually heard before and Balmer I heard once in my lifetime lol. I guess if you put it in that sense it make sense for him.. Just still sounds awkward when I read it lol

Kurosu
Sep 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
Why did they change his name to īKrazī though?
Not that Crouch is such a great name.

Mortalis
Sep 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
Why did they change his name to īKrazī though?
Not that Crouch is such a great name.

I'll take Kraz over Crouch anyday.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
Probably because of your second sentence. They probably felt the direct translation would make people act all childish about his name.

Seasqwaa
Sep 15, 2010, 02:17 PM
It's even hard for me to get through to story without voices...
I just love it so much more! I was even hoping for it, until the demo killed me.
I'm not annoyed that I have to read... But so much emotion is taken out.
when any argument goes on... or on some kind of... meh, just emotion. Just text doesn't get the job done.
I'd take any voiceover over none. It gives a much better feel of the characters.

Daveydave
Sep 15, 2010, 02:56 PM
It's even hard for me to get through to story without voices...
I just love it so much more! I was even hoping for it, until the demo killed me.
I'm not annoyed that I have to read... But so much emotion is taken out.
when any argument goes on... or on some kind of... meh, just emotion. Just text doesn't get the job done.
I'd take any voiceover over none. It gives a much better feel of the characters.

I can understand your annoyance I really can. However, do you read books? Perhaps you need to treat this like one and get into the characters by reading.

I do love a good voice over, however, it can sometimes kill the mood. I am currently working my way through Kingdom Hearts on the psp, and my god, some of the voice over seriously lacks any emotion. In my eyes, it can be a double edged sword.

x

Masterflower
Sep 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
Oh man lol Kraz is biggest... I swear lol All he has done is piss me off over and over. Sure later on he shows that he does care about Emilia. >_> I demand custody of Emilia because this guy is a hazard to himself and to my brain. Also I never understood how I am able to see Mika.. unless what happen at the ruins... she gave me the ability to see her... idk how it is possible lol

bobmanjr2
Sep 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
I only heard him once and i don't know if it's because my PSP's speakers were on low at the time, but is it just me or does Steve Blum voice him in English? Cuz if so, thats pretty sick!

Rayxor
Sep 17, 2010, 11:48 AM

Why would you want Japanese voices in the American version of the game?

Alexandria
Sep 17, 2010, 11:57 AM
Oh man lol Kraz is biggest... I swear lol All he has done is piss me off over and over. Sure later on he shows that he does care about Emilia. >_> I demand custody of Emilia because this guy is a hazard to himself and to my brain. Also I never understood how I am able to see Mika.. unless what happen at the ruins... she gave me the ability to see her... idk how it is possible lol

You died. And she brought you back, so you can see her.

Swarm
Sep 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
Well that sucks, playing so many RPGs and MMOs I'm tired of having to read everything. I was hoping to have the voice overs, no point for talking only in FMVs since this is 2010. At least put in a voice option, so those that like having to read constant text have the option to turn it off.

Masterflower
Sep 17, 2010, 02:24 PM
You died. And she brought you back, so you can see her.

Hmm when you say it like that lol sounds like im a walking corpse, but im just gonna leave it at the fact when she brought me back to life, some of her powers still reside within me, thus being about to see her.

Masterflower
Sep 19, 2010, 02:50 AM
I just realize something.. This wasnt the first time sega screwed us over with voices... In the JP AOTI.. they have voices during the story while our version didnt... Omg sega why lol

unicorn
Sep 19, 2010, 02:56 AM
You think if they can't even voice every scene in English, it wouldve been released stateside quicker, no?

Masterflower
Sep 19, 2010, 03:23 AM
Thats no excuse, PSU JP and PSU US had a three month difference in release, Story mode fully voiced and everything, i'm pretty sure they had the time to fit voices for the online portion. Hell, PSP:1 was fully voiced >_<; There is no excuse for not having voices in PSP:2 lol

Infinite Eternity
Sep 19, 2010, 03:33 AM
I think it was kind of foreshadowed they took out a lot of stuff. Did anyone remember that the original release date was in November?

SubstanceD
Sep 19, 2010, 04:41 AM
I was a little bit dissapointed that the English language versions don't have Voice Overs during the plain text moments but now that I have had time to adjust I guess it is for the best, heck I play my psp with the volume turned off most of the time anyway. I am sad that we can't hear more of Chelsea's voice however, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the English dub for her voice.

FOkyasuta
Sep 19, 2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah, it was funny the first few times, but she does it in almost every text bubble, lol.

One Of The Many Reasons She Doesn't Fit In This Game...

Zerothelioneater
Sep 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Chance are, they probably left voice to strictly cut scenes as a memory issuse. Persona 3 Portable ran into a similar dilemma, because they wanted to keep the core game with all the voice work of the its console big brother onto the little UMD they have to work with. So, they had to remove the hub work and replace it with a cursor and sprites. I dont mind the lack of much voice work, however, I wish they kept that mechanic where character would react and say different things, depending on your race and gender. That was what motivated me to have multiple characters and to replay the story in PSPo1.

Seasqwaa
Sep 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Chance are, they probably left voice to strictly cut scenes as a memory issuse. Persona 3 Portable ran into a similar dilemma, because they wanted to keep the core game with all the voice work of the its console big brother onto the little UMD they have to work with. So, they had to remove the hub work and replace it with a cursor and sprites. I dont mind the lack of much voice work, however, I wish they kept that mechanic where character would react and say different things, depending on your race and gender. That was what motivated me to have multiple characters and to replay the story in PSPo1.

Considering the JP version of the game had quite the larger file, I'm pretty sure it wasn't size.
Maybe they knew they'd get away with it?
Remember, PS isn't so big outside of Japan, they still want profit!

I am extremely disappointed in lack of voice though.
One more thing to wish for in infinity. It it comes here.

Masterflower
Sep 19, 2010, 10:08 AM

That was fine for me with Persona 3 Portable tho I do admit I miss running around a bit lol. Til this day, that game will always, without a doubt, be my favorite turn-based rpg ever lol. Yes I love it a bit more then Final Fantasy. Its what that game offers, is why I'm really drawn to it.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
Video game and anime community is split down the middle about subs vs dubs. That debate will forever remain unresolved; almost like political debates if you will.

Personally, I'm glad there's no voice work. I am not a fan of dubs in general except for a few (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc). For the English side, the dubs have to be of exceptional quality, or I won't listen to it.

And this is me not being a "weeaboo" or Japanophile. I am Korean myself, and my family watches K-drama. I would LOATHE to see an English dub of these K-dramas done, because it wouldn't be the same. IMO it's better for leaving foreign material, whether it's Japanese, Korean, French, German, Indian, etc to their native language and just put subs underneath there. Imagine if all these shows and games were dubbed by someone liked Ben Stein; how tolerant of bad voice acting do you have to be to want to hear it in English THAT badly?

In other news, I find that celebrities who voice cartoons or English localizations to be pretty damn good at it, probably because, you know, they're good at ACTING in general. As much as I dislike Disney films, they bring in the right people to do the voice acting, and their VA job is SUPERB (Aladdin is a great example).

I'm pretty sure the reason for the lack of voicework is a small localization budget on the US/EU side. They didn't exactly hire a top tier localization team to translate this game to English (Emelia saying "woot!" at the beginning of the game, really?), so I imagine the money they could use for voicework on this game was low for SoA.

LK1721
Sep 20, 2010, 06:36 PM
I wish they had put in the voicework. I really would have liked to hear the voices more because I liked them a lot [Chelsea's was top notch in my opinion] and reading Emilia's epic speech or Kraz's sarcasm isn't the same as hearing it.

Masterflower
Sep 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
I wish they had put in the voicework. I really would have liked to hear the voices more because I liked them a lot [Chelsea's was top notch in my opinion] and reading Emilia's epic speech or Kraz's sarcasm isn't the same as hearing it.

I agree 100% with this post. Hopefully Infinity we will get our voices back.

Calsetes
Sep 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
Honestly, personal preference here? Either throw both japanese (or original language dubbed in) and english on an english released game, or just throw in english voices. I know some people like JP voices, I personally prefer english (except when it's something like Genji - seriously? Everyone sounds British and pompous...) but whatever. I'm still pissed they didn't voice over a lot of the text scenes. Didn't they do that with PSP1 also?

Masterflower
Sep 20, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lol I just realize they changed Mother Brain's Voice... She sounds more like a mother :grin:

Didn't they do that with PSP1 also?

Nope, PSP:1 had voices for all visual novel events related to the story.

X2 Post.

Yeah just realize it, Took care of it and lol about Emilia

FOkyasuta
Sep 20, 2010, 07:18 PM
^X2 Post.

Bleh Cant Handle Emila's Voice. *Rips Out Hearing Box* Much Better.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 21, 2010, 05:37 AM
^X2 Post.

Bleh Cant Handle Emila's Voice. *Rips Out Hearing Box* Much Better.

Yeah, both her Japanese and her English voice is irritating. In Japanese she sounds like that annoying "imouto" in anime that always bugs you. In English she sounds like a dumb blonde teenager.