PDA

View Full Version : Japanese voices

silvite
Sep 15, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hi All,
Is there anyway to turn on japanese voices but keep english text?
Havent seen an option. Not a fan of english voice actors ^^;

thnx

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 10:07 AM
Nope.

Also, no one has cracked open Phantasy Star Universe's file packages yet, so don't expect an Undub.

silvite
Sep 15, 2010, 10:11 AM
nnnnyooooooooo!!!

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 10:12 AM
nnnnyooooooooo!!!

ngh.. here iT COMES~!

H-Hanzo
Sep 15, 2010, 10:58 AM
Maybe in the EUR version???

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe in the EUR version???

Like Key of Heaven/Kingdom of Paradise? That was be awesome, maybe I'll bump this thread when my copy arrives through the post.

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
The only thing I would what the Japanese voices for is for create-your-character voice X_X; The ones on the USA version are like omg wth is wrong with your voice lol

H-Hanzo
Sep 15, 2010, 11:15 AM
The only thing I would what the Japanese voices for is for create-your-character voice X_X; The ones on the USA version are like omg wth is wrong with your voice lol

Yea I think that too...

SammaeltheDark
Sep 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
In the US version often I find that when you find the right voice set and pitch for all your grunts/yells/stuff, it doesn't match the spoken lines at all. And vice versa when you try to tune your toon's voice to the spoken lines. Then all the grunts/yells/moans sound off

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 11:39 AM
In the US version often I find that when you find the right voice set and pitch for all your grunts/yells/stuff, it doesn't match the spoken lines at all. And vice versa when you try to tune your toon's voice to the spoken lines. Then all the grunts/yells/moans sound off

It sounds silly in Japanese too. Over-dramatic anime characters </3.

Masterflower
Sep 15, 2010, 11:50 AM

Idk lol The voices for PSU AOTI were alright compare to these voices. Could have been super lazy and copy and paste the voices from PSU AOTI to here but im glad they didnt do that...

The fact they said a whole sentence when doing something really made your character special because imo you sound different from the npcs. Well i guess you would be a glorified npc lol

SammaeltheDark
Sep 15, 2010, 01:06 PM
What I was stating is that since the full phrases were recorded later after the original grunts/yells/farts, the voices don't match up in the US and were most likely recorded by a different actor altogether.

On JP no matter how silly an animu the voice sets sounded, at least they were uniform.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2010, 01:30 PM
I find it pretty ok, in this one. I think I was pretty successful at getting the right voice with the speech. For the most part, the voices do match a particular attitude theme. I found the way you can customize the pitch of the voices separately from the lines themselves, to be adequate. And it's not like I pick common-style characters either. So often enough, I had to make some pitch adjustments to get it right.

Coach Z: Erreaowww! Ereaowww!
Bubs: Is that supposed to be the "Geddup noise(tm)"?
Coach Z: Wait. Let me turn up the pitch!! "Waaaayooooh! Waaayoooooh!"

Seasqwaa
Sep 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
The voices are pretty decent imo. I'd take trashy English that I can understand over Japanese that makes absolutely no sense to me. It does give some emotion though, which is nice if there's no voice... *cough* All text *cough*

I think it's pretty nice now though. Maybe you'll get more of what you're looking for in PSP2:I?

silvite
Sep 15, 2010, 02:36 PM
I cant stand the voice over work in this game. Japanese is much easier on the ears to me.

Taichi01
Sep 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
I actually think the dub is alright compared to the grunts from PSU.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2010, 03:24 PM
I kind of like it. I especially like the sayings when the NPCs do something to heal you or take away bad status effects.

Tonnio sounds just right when he vocally says, "Try not to get yourself killed." in the middle of a mission. I also like it when Emilia says, "Hang in there."

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 04:25 PM
I cant stand the voice over work in this game. Japanese is much easier on the ears to me.

If you could understand Japanese, you'd understand what I understand; very, very silly phrases.

Seasqwaa
Sep 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
If you could understand Japanese, you'd understand what I understand; very, very silly phrases.

Thank you.

Ken_Silver
Sep 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
I kind of like it. I especially like the sayings when the NPCs do something to heal you or take away bad status effects.

Tonnio sounds just right when he vocally says, "Try not to get yourself killed." in the middle of a mission. I also like it when Emilia says, "Hang in there."

This. I like being able to hear the voices of the characters in my native language. Since I speak English, I'd like to hear the voices in English. I don't think that it gets any more basic for me. If I spoke Spanish as my native language, it'd be the same

So go English voices. I mean, I sure wouldn't want to hear characters like Mario, Goku and Sonic in Japanese.

My personal preference I guess. :D

Seasqwaa
Sep 15, 2010, 05:20 PM
This. I like being able to hear the voices of the characters in my native language. Since I speak English, I'd like to hear the voices in English. I don't think that it gets any more basic for me. If I spoke Spanish as my native language, it'd be the same

So go English voices. I mean, I sure wouldn't want to hear characters like Mario, Goku and Sonic in Japanese.

My personal preference I guess. :D

There are people out there like you actually! (me)

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 08:25 PM
I originally started writing to respond to this thread, but I ended up writing... too much for a comment post: read the rest of below here (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9051200)

[SPOILER-BOX]You hear it everywhere: people want original dubs in their video games, and to be more specific, they won't the Japanese voices in their Western Final Fantasy games. As someone who can understand spoken Japanese to a certain point, I have something to explain...

Being able to understand both just means I pick whatever has the higher quality, not what sounds cool; I'm talking about the actual dialogue, not the skills of the seiyu, or voice actor/ess.

For example: Lost Odyssey's English voices were matched with the lips of the characters, this meant that the Japanese voices were out of sync... And because I can't read Kanji, I read the stories in English -- Kaim's personality is portrayed differently depending on which language you choose.

The above makes sense, what is considered "cool" in Japanese, is not what is considered "cool" in American English (for simplicity). Localization is a very difficult task, if you were to just translate exactly what characters say, you'll end up getting very unnatural dialogue.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Seasqwaa
Sep 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
I originally started writing to respond to this thread, but I ended up writing... too much for a comment post: read the rest of below here (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9051200)

[SPOILER-BOX]You hear it everywhere: people want original dubs in their video games, and to be more specific, they won't the Japanese voices in their Western Final Fantasy games. As someone who can understand spoken Japanese to a certain point, I have something to explain...

Being able to understand both just means I pick whatever has the higher quality, not what sounds cool; I'm talking about the actual dialogue, not the skills of the seiyu, or voice actor/ess.

For example: Lost Odyssey's English voices were matched with the lips of the characters, this meant that the Japanese voices were out of sync... And because I can't read Kanji, I read the stories in English -- Kaim's personality is portrayed differently depending on which language you choose.

The above makes sense, what is considered "cool" in Japanese, is not what is considered "cool" in American English (for simplicity). Localization is a very difficult task, if you were to just translate exactly what characters say, you'll end up getting very unnatural dialogue.[/SPOILER-BOX]

I see to this as being true. Very true. Too true.
Ah, my opinion.
I have taken out that "cool sounding" factor awhile ago.
I just like having a nice dialogue going on. Just sit back, and listen.

Please, someone stop me. The last 10 posts I've made were about voices.

Izuna
Sep 15, 2010, 08:34 PM
I see to this as being true. Very true. Too true.
Ah, my opinion.
I have taken out that "cool sounding" factor awhile ago.
I just like having a nice dialogue going on. Just sit back, and listen.

Please, someone stop me. The last 10 posts I've made were about voices.

Take it easy <3

Masterflower
Sep 16, 2010, 02:57 AM
Me personalty, I always give the english dub voices a chance... If they are really bad then i usualy switch it over to japanese... but I rarely do this in games with dual audio. It would have to be really bad that it forces me to switch it over. The voices sega chose for this game are pretty alright. I'm liking the voices some of the characters so far... Just the create-your-character voices lol Sega could have done a lil better with that. Overall the story character voices are pretty good... just wish there was audio in the visual novel events ><

AnamanaAU
Sep 16, 2010, 03:04 AM
English onry.

http://i52.tinypic.com/a1n1vn.gif