PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Cast Ranger or Vanguard?

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
i plan on making a new character soon and i want it to be a Cast. but im not sure if i should make a ranger or a vanguard. i've just gotten the game and my first character is a human hunter. so i dont fully know about the other changes for the other classes. any thoughts guys?

Izuna
Sep 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Since you can change types, I'd say give it a try with both.

Vanguards and Rangers are very similar, and are both the best types in effectiveness.

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
hmmm....yeah i see what your saying but i might try them out after i beat the game. but.....i dont know, what about custom abilities for both classes?

Izuna
Sep 23, 2010, 06:10 PM
hmmm....yeah i see what your saying but i might try them out after i beat the game. but.....i dont know, what about custom abilities for both classes?

They're interchangeable, which is why I stress that people should make a single character and switch types.

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 06:13 PM
They're interchangeable, which is why I stress that people should make a single character and switch types.

i guess. i just like making different characters but i'll give them a try

OriginalB
Sep 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
cast hunters are my favorite. even though you said you already made a hunter :P

Retniwreven
Sep 23, 2010, 10:29 PM
I love vanguard so much. Evasion everywhere and EX Traps are the greatest thing ever.

Eclipsed57
Sep 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
id prob switch types on your main, id love to have a few types at 30 and mix/match abilities

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 10:37 PM
i think i might go with a vanguard. i dont know but that class sounds more fun lol

Retniwreven
Sep 23, 2010, 10:38 PM
Vanguards are kind of a 'do everything' class, since they have high attack and tech, rather than just one or the other.

Randomness
Sep 23, 2010, 10:40 PM
Vanguard has the best type abilities, versatility wise.

PP boosts, mainly. Shock-immunity is nice. STA+10 is obviously good. But if you're going to do ranger or vanguard, you want Burst Bomber. 50% damage increase to all traps. EX traps are a godsend.

They specialize, weapon-wise, in one-hand gear. Dual weapons are slightly more expensive to unlock, and all 2-hand stuff is 100-base, so its expensive as hell to use S-ranks of em. (Knuckles count as 2-hand) (For the record, S-ranking a weapon type is 3k, 4.5k, or 6k depending on affinity. As much as I like spears.... 6k for S-rank is prohibitive when you get maybe 3k per class level)

Eclipsed57
Sep 23, 2010, 10:40 PM
yeah too bad techs are pretty bad in this game =\ i main vanguard and end up just using melee & traps. traps > techs so hard

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
Vanguard has the best type abilities, versatility wise.

PP boosts, mainly. Shock-immunity is nice. But if you're going to do ranger or vanguard, you want Burst Bomber. 50% damage increase to all traps. EX traps are a godsend.

so traps actually help out? i never use traps lol and this is gonna sound noobish but what is the burst bomber? still new to the game

Retniwreven
Sep 23, 2010, 10:44 PM
yeah too bad techs are pretty bad in this game =\ i main vanguard and end up just using melee & traps. traps > techs so hard

On the plus side, having Shifta/Deband and Jellen/Zalure is lovely, especially on things that are a pain to hit. Most of the vanguards I play with don't bother to carry something to cast them with, but it's so worth it.

so traps actually help out? i never use traps lol and this is gonna sound noobish but what is the burst bomber? still new to the game

Burst Bomber is a Vanguard skill that increases the amount of damage that traps do. Normal traps aren't that great, but EX traps are insane, dealing out loads of damage and status ailments to everything in the area for a few seconds.

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 10:46 PM
On the plus side, having Shifta/Deband and Jellen/Zalure is lovely, especially on things that are a pain to hit. Most of the vanguards I play with don't bother to carry something to cast them with, but it's so worth it.

Burst Bomber is a Vanguard skill that increases the amount of damage that traps do. Normal traps aren't that great, but EX traps are insane, dealing out loads of damage and status ailments to everything in the area for a few seconds.

..........im leaning more with using a vanguard now lol

Randomness
Sep 23, 2010, 10:46 PM

I hear you basically need to be a force to do damage with techs. Even then, anyone other than newmans is going to do poor tech damage.

And yes, EX traps are the best thing ever. They cheese basically every hard spawn in existence and almost all bosses as well. (Ones not EZ-mode with EX traps: Duga Dunga, Reol Badia, Orga Spritos, and the twin-bosses, for having no clustered hitboxes)

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
I hear you basically need to be a force to do damage with techs. Even then, anyone other than newmans is going to do poor tech damage.

And yes, EX traps are the best thing ever. They cheese basically every hard spawn in existence and almost all bosses as well. (Ones not EZ-mode with EX traps: Duga Dunga, Reol Badia, Orga Spritos, and the twin-bosses, for having no clustered hitboxes)

seriously? ok yeah im making a vanguard. now if only i had help with leveling him up lol

Eclipsed57
Sep 23, 2010, 10:52 PM

thats actually my exact Rod setup, the only rod on my palette is shifta/deband & jellen/zalure

the rest is 4 diff element twin sabers and a twin handgun.

and yes burst bomber + EX traps = gg . i only wish i could carry more than 8. but yeah anytime you get a miniboss spawn + some little guys. drop a EX stun trap, do your photon art on the main guy, yeah theyre all gone now

ghast
Sep 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
wow lol yeah im definitely making a vanguard now. thanks guys ^-^ anything more i should know about that class?

Retniwreven
Sep 23, 2010, 10:57 PM

Actually it's funny because human females are only like... 70 TEC below newman ones at level 200, yet they have more hp, atk, def, mnd, and sta. So you'll hurt slightly less, but survive longer.

Tails_night
Sep 24, 2010, 02:03 AM
Yeah I switched my beast over to vanguard even though they shine in hunter, because well, EX traps and mixed classes rule. But I honestly would explore your options, but my suggestion would be try vanguard first.

Izuna
Sep 24, 2010, 03:08 AM
Vanguards are easily Top Tier... this is going to be relearnt soon enough. When I play the JPN version online, there are barely any people using Hunters.

Tails_night
Sep 24, 2010, 03:25 AM
I've always favored mixed/advanced classes, like psp1 I liked acro, and such, yesh people will soon learn to love and fear teh Bravers.

ghast
Sep 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
I've always favored mixed/advanced classes, like psp1 I liked acro, and such, yesh people will soon learn to love and fear teh Bravers.

yeah my character on PSP1 is an acro. its an awesome class!