PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new HDTV?

Tetsaru
Sep 29, 2010, 04:05 AM
I posted this in another forum, so maybe I can get some feedback here as well.

About 4 years ago, I received a 19" Magnavox/Philips brand LCD for Christmas, and lately it has been going on the fritz. When I first turn it on in the mornings, the audio is very static-ey and has that "snow" sound to it, and sometimes cuts out completely. The video also glitches and then the TV resets itself on its own, often several times. Also, if the audio goes out and I attempt to change channels, sometimes the video goes out as well, with just a black screen. However, if I leave the TV on for about 30 minutes to an hour, it works just fine for the most part, although the audio still drops out on occasion and I have to turn it off and back on to get it to work properly again. I've also noticed that in doing this, the green LED power light doesn't immediately turn red to signify that it has been turned off, and takes about 10 seconds or so to register.

I looked around online trying to find a fix for this mess, and after reading some consumer reviews, it turns out that my model TV has defective capacitors on its board. In order to repair it, the whole board would need to be replaced, which would probably cost as much as just getting an entirely new TV in the first place. Supposedly, other people who had the same model TV I had encountered these problems even within the first year of owning it, while I've had mine for about 4 years now.

All that aside, I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for me for a new TV. I've heard Samsung is a good brand these days. Size-wise, I'll probably want something between 20" to 30", seeing how it'll be in my bedroom. Cost-wise, I'm not really sure, probably around $300 or so; my dad just said he'd agree to get one for me for helping him with work, so I don't know what kind of budget we'd be working with.

Volcompat321
Sep 29, 2010, 04:34 AM
If you can spend a little bit more than $300, say around $400(after taxes, approximately), you can get a nice 32'' Vizio. Though, it's only 720p.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E320VL/13904831

OR, you can spend about the same, get an "off brand" Element LCD, with 1080p.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-ELDFT321/14321388

I'm sure you can find them cheaper elsewhere, so use Walmart.com as a starter price.
You find cheap TV's there, and find them cheaper somewhere else.

Just take these brands, and try to get them somewhere where they compare prices to other stores, and if it's either the same price, or lower, they will undercut by a small amount, so it's cheaper for you.

Only if you had a little bit more, you could get one of these awesome TV's!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProScan-47LED55SA/14066612

From my understanding, the LED TV's last longer, because LED's last longer.

amtalx
Sep 29, 2010, 09:38 AM
For your budget, Vizio will probably be your best choice. If you are looking for reviews, cnet is very comprehensive, but they tend to review high end TVs more.

LED TVs: They will probably have the same life as an LCD TV. The "LED TV" name can be a little misleading because they still use LCD panels as a display. The LED part refers to the backlighting, not the display. Since any LCD or LED TV will likely break for other reasons before the backlight dies, their effective life of both are the same.

HeartBreak301
Sep 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've had a 32" Insignia for about 2 years now, very satisfied with it. No problems whatsoever. Doesn't have 1080, but meh, it was a great TV for $300. And that was 2 years ago.

Outrider
Sep 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm super happy with my Sony Bravia, but you usually only see the small ones on sale about once a year. Still, if that's something you're willing to wait on, just keep an eye on the model from the previous year.

I'd also recommend waiting until the end of the year - standard HDTV prices are supposed to drop like crazy this holiday.

SuKKrl
Sep 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
If you play games on your tv don't forget to check input lag.

Some Samsung TVs had so much input lag that playing games on them was almost impossible.

McLaughlin
Sep 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have a Samsung 42" and the only "complaint" I can make is that it only has one composite/component connection and only a couple HDMI ports so it's a little limiting as far as what you can have going at the same time. I got it for 600 bucks last Boxing Day though so whatev.

My brother has a 32" LG which also looks great, and has more inputs as well. I think it's also 120 Hz, which I think is better for gaming than a 60 Hz TV.

SpikeOtacon
Sep 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Don't forget to check newegg, they have a handy comparison feature so you can see the specs between TVs directly.

NegaTsukasa
Sep 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
get the 152 inch for half a million!!!

~if you're a gamer, best to stay away from plasma screens.