PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 So how do you play your non-VG high level characters?

PinkyMonkey
Oct 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
It seems there are many folks (myself included) who don't particularly want to play 'Vantasy Guard Trapable 2'(and I mean no ill will to those who love the class and trap mechanics for any reason). Rather as both my hunter and ranger near the mid 70's I am wondering a few things.

1. At what level does DEF fail to do anything (My 75 F human hunter, with the VG dmg reduction still does quite well, even against mobs 15-20 higher)?

2. How do you play your high level X class?

*For my hunter as I said above haven't had too many problems yet. However always ready to block and spatially aware.

* For my F Newman Ranger. It's pretty easy to stay out of trouble and holding down the lock key while circling mobs with dual pistols or shotguns (less mobility) seem to work on a lot of mobs. Still I sometimes get one shot by a quick charge or boss mob.

In any case realize I only have a piddling 75ish levels but was looking for tips/videos on how folks are playing their high level non-VG classes.

cheers and thanks

Nhelraios
Oct 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
Vantasy Guard Trappable 2 lmao

Izuna
Oct 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Rangers are Vanguards, except using Shotguns for DPS.
Hunters are Vanguards without EX Traps.

kongajinken
Oct 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
Don't you mean Vanguards are hunters with EX traps.

Izuna
Oct 12, 2010, 10:11 PM
Don't you mean Vanguards are hunters with EX traps.

Had to edit my comment like 3 times... I should sleep.

kongajinken
Oct 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
Sleeping is like that thing you don't wanna do ,but in the end you gotta do. I wish I could sleep less.

Silverheart
Oct 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've been playing around with all the classes on my main for right now, mainly for custom abilities but I have to say that Hunter is still my fav at lvl 114 currently. I like using knuckles and since they're cheaper for hunters I rolled with it, that and I am a beast so I kinda like hitting like a truck :D

Ran a few S ranks so far and have gotten smacked around now and then but def with blocking is actually quite nice in my opinion since the damage you'd be taking is drastically reduced. I know you lose PP for a non perfect block but sometimes its worth it. I'm honestly still trying to see when that's gonna stop working but even against lvl 130 -150 mobs its still a sound option.

Izuna
Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Too scared to sleep without doing homework... if only you could do the questions without picking up the pen, sometimes I do completely random shit like push-ups to distract myself from working.

darkante
Oct 12, 2010, 11:10 PM
With my Hunter, i use Knuckles as backup for keeping things stunned if there are a too much of an annoyence.

I use Twin Claw´s as primary DPS, pretty good. (It usually depends on coolness factor, right now having a powerful Daylight Scar)

Double saber for an all-around crowd controll, thing are too dangerous to be in a group?
Cyclone Dance! Then it´s just easy pickings.

I´ve have either a Twin Handgun or Machine Gun to keep chain up when the need aris. (not on palette at all times)

Always have a staff ready to buff with Shifta or having Zalure for those unhittable evasive targets. And a Resta to save some healing in less dire situations.

Usually save a spot for an extra "fun" weapon to mess around with.

Sometimes i have some minor traps to spam on more pesky targets just to wear them down a bit...

That´s about it.

fenrir188
Oct 13, 2010, 06:11 PM
Too scared to sleep without doing homework... if only you could do the questions without picking up the pen, sometimes I do completely random shit like push-ups to distract myself from working.

someone needs telekenisis

Seth Astra
Oct 13, 2010, 06:12 PM
I play my high level vanguard by using as few traps as possible. Only when things get absurdly tough do I pull out the EX traps. *Cough*Shizuru*Cough*.

Shakuri
Oct 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
For my Hunter - Carefully
For my Force - Carelessly, EVP builds + Lvl 21+ Deband = The ultimate nonchalance

TerraBreak
Oct 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
i'm in the 90-100 bracket human hunter

usually i use a double saber because they look cool and yeah cyclone dance all the way hehehe but if im in a party i use twin claws since they look cool as well

i'm having problems with chasing ranged monsters, you'll hit them for like 2-3 times then they'll run away from you

i usually bring traps with me but i rarely use them

cyclone dance all the way hehehe

Infinite Eternity
Oct 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
Rod -> Buff
Twin Sabers -> Bosses/Big Enemies
Saber -> Humanoids
Twin Claws/Daggers -> Whenever I'm in the mood to use them
Twin Handguns -> Flying enemies or enemies that spam too much technic to get close to.

Use that for every type.

Randomness
Oct 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
I play my high level vanguard by using as few traps as possible. Only when things get absurdly tough do I pull out the EX traps. *Cough*Shizuru*Cough*.

Yeah, I really only pull out my traps for BS enemies... the charging things that are invincible from the front? Traps.
Also for Gemaga, to make it go faster. I mean, there's exactly one enemy spawn wave I care about in there, besides Shizuru. (Little Wing Rosk-drops ALL S-rank daggers, depending on level)

Alexandria
Oct 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I really only pull out my traps for BS enemies... the charging things that are invincible from the front? Traps. Gemaga? TRAPTRAPTRAPWIN.

I find it ironic that those mobs actually are still invincable from the front even if you use traps. They do 0's...

Randomness
Oct 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
I find it ironic that those mobs actually are still invincable from the front even if you use traps. They do 0's...

Yeah, but the EX traps are still far more effective. Other than that, strafe-capable guns are only sane option. Preferably twin handguns for block. (Shields should have been equipable in either hand, imo)

Altoh
Oct 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
lol I play my VG like it was a fighgunner/hunter, it's sad that I didn't know vanguard could use EX traps till after I was 95 and had already beaten normal mode, I only use EX traps on multi-player mode now when the final mobs are at least 20+ levels higher then me

I have a character thats a hunter though I'm usually doing stupid things with her like running into a swarm of mobs with a sword and use grand crusher right in the middle at the start lol.

Ambrai
Oct 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
I started as Hunter, raised it to lv 14. Then switched to VG to see what the hype was about, got it to 13.

EX traps are pretty, however I greatly enjoy not dying in 1-2 hits. So what I am working on is a hybrid of the classes.

Hunter will be my primary, always been my play style, so in the end I will be

A level 30 Hunter with the high level EVA from the Ranger tree, Burst Bomber from VA, stacking EVA mods, and utilizing skills to prevent status effects.

Lolitron
Oct 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
Spam normal traps, blade destruction, and use twin handguns to chain.

marc110
Oct 14, 2010, 12:23 PM
:whip:
Vantasy Guard Trappable 2 lmao

LOL

Akaimizu
Oct 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
I play a ranger type as my highest level character. I mainly only use EX traps if I'm in a real Jam. And this is pretty much the same kind of setting I used since I played Guntecher. I use the same mantra. "When the going gets tough. The tough get to trappin' ".

If I'm having an easier time, and/or not as stressed for time against certain specific large foes, I may hardly use any traps on the mission. There are plenty of times the regular traps may have use, and I know I can sometimes forget to use them there.

Still, my main damage comes from combos, using good multi-mob hitting devices when applicable, and a good array of weapons including at least 1 utilized for PP regeneration and a different form of attack outside of bullets. I'm also a lover of things that control the mobs, so I do like inflicting status effects. I even have that attribute configured on my character to raise the chance of SEs.

blace
Oct 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
I barely even touched Vanguard as my lvl 70, but I did make a lvl 23 Vanguard, and stopped using him.

In any case, I just play the way I normally do: Shifta and Deband, timing attacks and PA's, block, dodge, resta spam, mates when I need them and the occasional gun.

Traps? Never needed them, although the Shifta and Deband buffing takes some time out of my over all play, but still it helps when I fail to time my perfect blocks right. That extra 10 damage off from blocking with dual hand weapons saved me countless times.