PDA

View Full Version : Best way to play with friends

chillzilla
Oct 18, 2010, 02:35 PM
I just got PSZ along with my wife and friend. The three of us were looking for another co-op game for our weekly game night. Since we are all fairly new to Phantasy Star, I was curious if the veterans could help us lay out a game plan. Here are our major questions, but feel free to add anything I haven't thought about.

1. What is an okay level gap? Not all of us will be able to play solo during the week. Everyone likes to feel that they are contributing in a fight, so we want to avoid a low level just walking behind a high level character. At what difference in level does it becomes clear that the lower leveled person isn't doing a thing?

2. How does Solo play and Multiplayer play work together? Can I only play in levels that I've unlocked in Solo? Does this mean we will have "homework" on the nights we aren't playing co-op?

I guess that is all I got. Thanks for any help in advance.

Chevve
Oct 18, 2010, 03:03 PM
1. Level gap doesn't matter too much in this game. Each person can help a lot as long as the level gap isn't like 30+.

2. Yes, the host will have to have the levels/difficulties unlocked first to play them in multiplayer.

Only the host needs to have the levels/difficulties unlocked.
Normal mode is the only difficulty you have to unlock each individual level for.
-To unlock a level, you simply have to beat it in singleplayer once.
This means once you unlock Hard mode (reach level 30), you'll have all of the levels unlocked for Hard mode. Same applies for Super Hard mode (reach level 60).

pkrockin
Oct 18, 2010, 04:48 PM
I believe that to play in Super Hard in online play, a character must complete the Eternal Tower in Hard mode. A character who hasn't completed the ET in Hard cannot play Super Hard in online matches. It's at least true for Free Play.

ThugTiger
Oct 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
I believe that to play in Super Hard in online play, a character must complete the Eternal Tower in Hard mode. A character who hasn't completed the ET in Hard cannot play Super Hard in online matches. It's at least true for Free Play.

wow thx i didnt know that and im online too quick run anyone?

bns1991
Oct 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
I just got PSZ along with my wife and friend. The three of us were looking for another co-op game for our weekly game night. Since we are all fairly new to Phantasy Star, I was curious if the veterans could help us lay out a game plan. Here are our major questions, but feel free to add anything I haven't thought about.

1. What is an okay level gap? Not all of us will be able to play solo during the week. Everyone likes to feel that they are contributing in a fight, so we want to avoid a low level just walking behind a high level character. At what difference in level does it becomes clear that the lower leveled person isn't doing a thing?

2. How does Solo play and Multiplayer play work together? Can I only play in levels that I've unlocked in Solo? Does this mean we will have "homework" on the nights we aren't playing co-op?

To answer your first question, you have to be level 30 to play on hard, and level 60 to play on super hard. Your level is important, but your skill level is very important as well. If you are level 30, for example, and you are playing on hard mode with someone that is 30 to 40 levels higher than you, it can be helpful to you because they can offer you support in tough areas for beginners like the arca plant or the dark shrine. You can level up easier as well since you wont have as much trouble going through the areas with strong allies.

As for your second question, there are different missions that you can do in the different modes. After you complete the story, you will have unlocked all of the zones. I'm not sure whether your progress playing solo in terms of levels unlocked effects the areas that you can play in multiplayer. I was level 70 before I played multiplayer.

I hope this info answers your questions^^;

Neo Flint
Oct 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
I can probably help you started if you want. What kinds of characters do you guys uses?

I'm usually online at evenings and nights (especially on weekends) so feel free to hit me up. I just need your Friend Code. ;)

Chevve
Oct 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
Oops, I forgot that you unlock Super Hard at level 60, not 70. I edited my previous post.

You also do not need to complete the Eternal Tower to unlock Super Hard mode online. Completing the Eternal Tower in Hard mode only unlocks Super Hard for offline singleplayer.

Windancer
Oct 18, 2010, 07:36 PM

What night do you guys play and are you guys easr coast or west coast? I also recommend joining a good group thats active to get more hookups with peeps.

I like playing this way also avoiding power leveling Just make it clear to peeps what level you guys are so peeps can join you with an appropriate toon.

Yes you will need to unlock levels in offline to play them online if you host a game. however if someone else hosts you will play what they unlock.

Feel free to add my FC but my lowest level toon is 56

chillzilla
Oct 19, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. I think we will get to level 20 or so first before we go online together. Then maybe try to keep a level gap of 10. Thanks a bunch!

TheGreek
Oct 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
chillzilla, want to play?

chillzilla
Oct 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'd love to, but I'm at work. I don't think they would appreciate it all too much.

TheGreek
Oct 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Haha, im heading to work in a bit myself. Was hoping to find a game before then.

pkrockin
Oct 19, 2010, 09:10 PM
Oops, I forgot that you unlock Super Hard at level 60, not 70. I edited my previous post.

You also do not need to complete the Eternal Tower to unlock Super Hard mode online. Completing the Eternal Tower in Hard mode only unlocks Super Hard for offline singleplayer.

You can't select Super Hard for Free Play games without first completing the ET on that particular character. Test it yourself.

PSZFann
Oct 20, 2010, 12:20 AM
nice to have a new member on board the PSZ train ;D

Chevve
Oct 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
You can't select Super Hard for Free Play games without first completing the ET on that particular character. Test it yourself.
I never do Free Play games, sorry. :P I was talking about playing online by yourself.