PDA

View Full Version : Vista Laptop as Wi-Fi access point

Crimson The FOmar
Oct 19, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hey folks!

Just new around here, I'm staying away from home at university and currently only have a wireless broadband dongle for my laptop, which means I don't have a wireless access point for my psp! I can therefore only use it every so often when I get to visit home, so I'm getting a bit frustrated that I can't experience online play for PSP2 :-(

I'm aware this is a fairly high winded topic :-P
Just I've been looking on the internet and found various tutorials for enabling a laptop with a wireless card to be a wi-fi access point, although theres a lack of them for Vista laptops...

Basically, umm, does anyone else do this? Or can they suggest a tutorial online?
I'm hoping one of these -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Direct-WiFi-Max-PSP/dp/B000CSC936 isn't the only option.

Outrider
Oct 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hey there! Welcome to PSO-World.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that you're already able to connect to a wi-fi access point with your laptop? If so, is there something preventing you from connecting to that same access point with your PSP?

I'm sure somebody with more technical knowledge can offer some good advice, but if you can't connect your PSP to your school's network (or whatever), I'm not sure there's an easy solution outside of setting up your own wireless network.

Crimson The FOmar
Oct 19, 2010, 07:39 PM
Haha, my fault, I did say it was a fairly technical problem ^^;

And no, I didnt make it clear enough I think, I have a thing called a wireless dongle for my laptop, its basically like a flashdrive that goes into a USB port with a sim card inside so it can pick it mobile broadband signals from the network its attached to, and also, yes, the uni does have wireless internet, but its heavily limited, i.e., you can't download music, stream video effectively or play games online....

My believe from what I've read is its possible with some programs to make your wireless card in your laptop project a wifi signal so other devices can piggyback off its internet. My internet signal should be good enough, I
already connect my laptop to my Xbox 360 to use my laptops internet to get on Xbox Live...

Again, I'm sorry, It was just a stab in the dark incase anyone technically minded hangs out here... but many thanks for the welcome, they're always nice :)

Kent
Oct 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
Oh, so the dongle is for mobile broadband (like cellphone internet) then? That makes this a lot less redundant of an issue.

I think it really comes down to whether or not your laptop's wireless NIC is capable of broadcasting as an access point. I've never actually tried this myself, but it should be theoretically possible to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a wired (or in your case, mobile) connection, allowing devices connected to your wi-fi-card-working-in-reverse to connect through it to the internet.

...Like I said though, I haven't looked into trying this, myself. Theoretically, it could be possible if the hardware supports it.

Randomness
Oct 19, 2010, 11:26 PM
Oh, so the dongle is for mobile broadband (like cellphone internet) then? That makes this a lot less redundant of an issue.

I think it really comes down to whether or not your laptop's wireless NIC is capable of broadcasting as an access point. I've never actually tried this myself, but it should be theoretically possible to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a wired (or in your case, mobile) connection, allowing devices connected to your wi-fi-card-working-in-reverse to connect through it to the internet.

...Like I said though, I haven't looked into trying this, myself. Theoretically, it could be possible if the hardware supports it.

Of course, you still need a separate connection to the internet, since you can't use the same card as a access point and a internet connection.

But yeah, I don't see any reason this wouldn't work except one. If your campus restricts online gaming over their network, the method of restricting it may be trouble. If they block certain packet types or something (As opposed to just not letting systems connect), your laptop alone won't bypass that, since its just redirecting the PSP's packets. It sounds like there may be some severe bandwidth restrictions in place, which would make it too slow for gaming. Since your 360 works through it, you should be fine there.