PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 How to prevent PSP "off" button slip ups?

chibiLegolas
Oct 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
I FINALLY got my PSP3000 in the mail. Popped in PSPo2 & started story mode before I hop over to online mode. BUT every time I'm in a mission, my hand grip on the side of the system just uncontiously gripps too hard and I end up turning off the system completely!
It's happened twice already & I can't seem to progress on story mode cause of this damned grip of mine.

AURGH! What a poorly designed system!
Is there any way to avoid this? I've tried holding the system in a different way, but in the middle of battle, I just end up holding it naturally were the off switch will be held for 3 seconds. And what's worse, there's no "click" resistance or sound to warn me that I'm holding it down.
God damn Sony. This is their 3rd try on the PSP and they STILL kept the off switch where your palm will hit it?!

Please help. :(

Izuna
Oct 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
You think that's bad? I used to have an obsession with pressing every button once every now and then...

You'll work your work way around it.

Chukie sue
Oct 21, 2010, 12:05 PM
I FINALLY got my PSP3000 in the mail. Popped in PSPo2 & started story mode before I hop over to online mode. BUT every time I'm in a mission, my hand grip on the side of the system just uncontiously gripps too hard and I end up turning off the system completely!
It's happened twice already & I can't seem to progress on story mode cause of this damned grip of mine.

Is there any way to avoid this? I've tried holding the system in a different way, but in the middle of battle, I just end up holding it naturally were the off switch will be held for 3 seconds. And what's worse, there's no "click" resistance or sound to warn me that I'm holding it down.
God damn Sony. This is their 3rd try on the PSP and they STILL kept the off switch where your palm will hit it?!

You could buy a plastic cover like I did for my 1000 - that should help.

You think that's bad? I used to have an obsession with pressing every button once every now and then...

I can relate: DS Lite -wifi match where I care about my record - button mash to get out of a lock of some sort and I accidentally reset :/

Pavichokche
Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 PM
I used to have an obsession with pressing every button once every now and then...

Holy crap me too !!! I used to soft-reset my ds games every once in a while...it was annoying...

As for the OP's problem, get a large piece of tape and put it over the switch, such that you don't move it up with your palm.

Magician
Oct 21, 2010, 12:19 PM

Precisely why I love the PSPgo's bluetooth connectivity; using a PS3 controller to play PSP2 is so comfy.

Cron-Z
Oct 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
Don't let the inside between your thumb and index touch the side of the PSP. The grip should be something like this :

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/psp2.jpg

If all else fails, playing with the Logitech PGP or the Sony Polycarbonate case will prevent any accidental sliding of the power switch, regardless of your hold.

[Disclaimer] I have NEVER accidentally switched off my PSP...

BIG OLAF
Oct 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
I've just plain never done it. I rest the area between my thumb and forefinger on the sides of the PSP, but I don't apply any pressure (which is what causes the accidental shut-off). I play with my thumbs on the front (obviously), and all my other fingers underneath the system...unless I need to hit the triggers, in which case I adjust my grip accordingly until the need passes.

I just now picked up my PSP and tried to hold it the way the woman in Cron-Z's picture is holding it, but it's way too uncomfortable for my hands.

ashley50
Oct 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't get it on how you can accidentally turn off a PSP.

I don't hold my PSP the way it is shown like there in the picture, yet I never had problems with the power switch still.

ethan110
Oct 21, 2010, 12:33 PM

my gf presses evey butten LOL ,

@OP hold your psp tighter so you dont move your hands up so much , get a grip for your psp , i have total fucked my hand up play psp as its small i may have to quit gameing all together NOT HAPPY

Maku
Oct 21, 2010, 12:36 PM
my only problem is the wifi switch, because sometimes i touch it with out sliding and the wifi turns itself off

8BitGinno
Oct 21, 2010, 12:48 PM
The PSP looks great, but yes it is very poorly designed. You shouldn't have to hold it loosely just to play without accidental button presses.

The only way I prevent this from happening to me is by playing on my PC with Remotejoy Lite and a Logitech USB controller.

chibiLegolas
Oct 21, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'll look into the various hard cases & controllers then. Thanks!
I forgot to mention that I have very petite hands. And comparing the PSP to a DSlite, it looks like the PSP is designed for male hands with it's larger screen?
After holding the PSP over an hr, it feels awkward to me.

I basically accidentally turn it off whenever the battle gets intense. Immagine my hands are a bit shorter and smaller than that model's in the pic. My grip gets tighter, I hold the R trigger tightly with the tip of my index finger to shoot off my pistol. I am nervously pushing buttons with my thumb. I start to close up my hands like holding a pot handle, so the base bone of my index finger gets closer to the base. And me "pushing" the off switch up & holding it there is the result of just clamping up where I naturally want my whole hand to clamp around the unit & bring my index finger closer together with my thumb.

Mostly whenever I need to hold L+R+ analogue+buttons for pistol charge shots.
Holding both thumbs and index fingers down, I naturally hold the unit up & in place by squeezing it between the base of my index fingers. :P

I knew with my smaller hands, I needed the smallest PSP out there. But I've already bought the UMD at the store at launch. And found it retarded that we aren't automatically eligible to have a download version for free. (much like Blue-ray movies comes with DVD versions. Or the ability to copy games from UMD into the system like the 360).
*shrug*

Really? I'm one of the few who as this problem? Kids don't have the same problem either? Or they just don't care with their short attention span and move onto the next toy?

Crazyleo
Oct 21, 2010, 01:20 PM
Another thing you might want to try is go into the options menu and where it says weapon switch, select click instead of hold. That might help.

Redboigoi
Oct 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
Buy this http://www.ezrange.com/hand_grip_for_psp_3000_and_psp_2000-pr-6453-c-0-p-1.html it helps alot!. It also keeps my hands cramp free. Yes i did buy it from that site so it's legit.

ethan110
Oct 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
Buy this http://www.ezrange.com/hand_grip_for_psp_3000_and_psp_2000-pr-6453-c-0-p-1.html it helps alot!. It also keeps my hands cramp free. Yes i did buy it from that site so it's legit.

i need this but a for uk

my only problem is the wifi switch, because sometimes i touch it with out sliding and the wifi turns itself off

your question is easly fixed buy a psp 3000 the wifi butten is where you open on a psp 1000

Cron-Z
Oct 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
I meant to ask this question as I was writing my previous post but forgot.

When you do accidentally slip up the power switch, do you hold it up long enough to turn the PSP fully off or does it go into sleep mode instead?

chibiLegolas
Oct 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
I meant to ask this question as I was writing my previous post but forgot.

When you do accidentally slip up the power switch, do you hold it up long enough to turn the PSP fully off or does it go into sleep mode instead?

I wish it went to sleep mode. But alas, it totally powers off since my hand clamps up (mostly from holding down L+R+analogue+buttons) and holds that position. And I don't find out till it's too late. :P
Though changing the pistol settings to click instead of hold might help. Thanks Crazyleo.

Now comparing my hands to my husband's I find that my fingers are far more flexible than his. They bend further and bones locks further than his does. So the base of my index finger naturally juts out a bit to have a higher rate to rub against the side of the PSP.
Dang. And I thought flexible fingers were a good thing....

And wow! Check out that controller grip. Thanks for the link Redboigoi.

ethan110
Oct 21, 2010, 03:06 PM
I wish it went to sleep mode. But alas, it totally powers off since my hand clamps up (mostly from holding down L+R+analogue+buttons) and holds that position. And I don't find out till it's too late. :P
Though changing the pistol settings to click instead of hold might help. Thanks Crazyleo.

Now comparing my hands to my husband's I find that my fingers are far more flexible than his. They bend further and bones locks further than his does. So the base of my index finger naturally juts out a bit to have a higher rate to rub against the side of the PSP.

you sure your psp isnt crashing my hands are no where near the power butten , plus it has to be held up for 5 seconds before it swtichs off , is your psp a used one or new? i think your psp maybe be faulty

Crimson The FOmar
Oct 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm still happily running my psp 1000, never upgraded :-D

Never had this problem either....I tried one of the newer psp's, but I'm CONVINCED to screen isn't as good quality and It's awkward for me trying to play something that thin. Is the off switch a different place in the new models?

Izuna
Oct 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
my gf presses evey butten LOL ,

^^; I'm so happy that I'm not the only one.

Trizek
Oct 21, 2010, 04:21 PM

Yea I hate that, I usually distance my hand away from the off switch and relax my grip a bit.

Redboigoi
Oct 21, 2010, 05:03 PM

Anytime :)

Crazyleo
Oct 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
Not a problem there Chibi. I use the click instead of hold when playing a PSU style PS game, since my hands do tend to clamp up on occasion.

Alexandria
Oct 21, 2010, 05:11 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I play with the bottom of my finger ABOVE the Wifi and power switches. my palm stays extended away from the PSP. Almost like my hand is in an L shape, with my fingers going on the Y axis, and the rest of my hand on the X axis. I'm not sure when I developed this hold, but it allows me to Claw very comfortably.

ethan110
Oct 22, 2010, 03:11 AM
^^; I'm so happy that I'm not the only one.

i cant believe she does this , she really does press every button on the psp , that's why master sys is best for her to play on only two buttons

i remember she was playing and i said why you diving all over the place , she said cos i have to press every button LOL

i wonder what makes you press all the buttons?

Izuna
Oct 22, 2010, 03:30 AM
i cant believe she does this , she really does press every button on the psp , that's why master sys is best for her to play on only two buttons

i remember she was playing and i said why you diving all over the place , she said cos i have to press every button LOL

i wonder what makes you press all the buttons?

Dunno, it's been a habit for a long time.

Hey hey, does she also dislike those Dualshock 3 controllers 'cause the triggers don't click? It takes me about five presses before I can relax with the controller ^^;

When I use any of the 7th Gen controllers, people always notice me clicking the thumbsticks when they're not meant to do anything.

ethan110
Oct 22, 2010, 04:24 AM
Dunno, it's been a habit for a long time.

Hey hey, does she also dislike those Dualshock 3 controllers 'cause the triggers don't click? It takes me about five presses before I can relax with the controller ^^;

When I use any of the 7th Gen controllers, people always notice me clicking the thumbsticks when they're not meant to do anything.

tba honest she has played with the psp twice since i got it for her , izuna it must be some sort of odc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Izuna
Oct 22, 2010, 04:50 AM
tba honest she has played with the psp twice since i got it for her , izuna it must be some sort of odc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Everyone's a little obsessive over something; OCD is a term used when its pretty damn bad and actually starts to affect everyday life (like counting all the cars that pass you or something).

Apart from pressing every button and biting nails, I don't have any other bad habits, so no, I don't have OCD ^^;.

On-topic: OP, do your index-fingers come up next to the Triggers? 'cause I just held a PSP without doing that, and ending flicking the switch by accident.

ethan110
Oct 22, 2010, 04:51 AM
Everyone's a little obsessive over something; OCD is a term used when its pretty damn bad and actually starts to affect everyday life (like counting all the cars that pass you or something).

Apart from pressing every button and biting nails, I don't have any other bad habits, so no, I don't have OCD ^^;.

On-topic: OP, do your index-fingers come up next to the Triggers? 'cause I just held a PSP without doing that, and ending flicking the switch by accident.

you just have CD then LOL

ParadoxBoy
Oct 22, 2010, 08:15 AM
Wow. I feel special. This never happens to me, maybe once or twice but It was never a problem and usually involved me holding it weird.

Akaimizu
Oct 22, 2010, 08:25 AM
Funny you should say that, because that is something I have with all my PSPs as well. Normally only if I'm playing a faster action game like PSP2 on it. The way you would naturally hold the thing, it's not difficult to accidentally slide part of your palm to flip the switch.

Normally, that isn't a problem for games since it generally just goes to sleep mode. You can just wake it and continue playing. Of course, for online games, that's where it has the issue, because it disconnects you right away.

At home, and online, I normally have my PSPgo on the cradle, and control it with the PS3controller. That's the currently best solution I have, which avoids the problem. Otherwise, it almost seems like I should have some tape around, to tape the switch over if I play the PSP directly and online.

Cron-Z
Oct 22, 2010, 10:55 AM
Is the off switch a different place in the new models?

Nope, exact same place as the PSP-1000/1001

Mystic_Nessly
Oct 22, 2010, 10:27 PM
Precisely why I love the PSPgo's bluetooth connectivity; using a PS3 controller to play PSP2 is so comfy.

Would you please elaborate on this feature? This is news to me. Had I known about that, I wouldn't have recently purchased a 3000 model and gotten a PSPgo instead.

When you use the controller, what does the right analog stick control? The camera? That's really the main thing that would sell me to change over to PSPgo.

Bovrillor
Oct 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
Don't let the inside between your thumb and index touch the side of the PSP. The grip should be something like this :

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/psp2.jpg

If all else fails, playing with the Logitech PGP or the Sony Polycarbonate case will prevent any accidental sliding of the power switch, regardless of your hold.

[Disclaimer] I have NEVER accidentally switched off my PSP...

Playing in that position is crippling for those of us with larger hands.

I resorted to buying an unofficial metal case, and welding a panel on the inside over the wifi and power button holes. I've got a psp100x, I'm surprised they didn't fix this with later revisions.

Mike
Oct 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
Posted before but the way to last long hours on a PSP without the grip... needs great positioning!
[spoiler-box]http://typestatic.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/pspclaw.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Because it's relavent. I have no clue as to how people manage to turn their PSPs off by simply holding it though. I rest my hands on the power switch and have never managed to turn it off in the 800+ hours I've played PSP2. Nor have I had it happen with any other models or games. Maybe people play more actively than I do.

Rashiid
Oct 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Because it's relavent. I have no clue as to how people manage to turn their PSPs off by simply holding it though. I rest my hands on the power switch and have never managed to turn it off in the 800+ hours I've played PSP2. Nor have I had it happen with any other models or games. Maybe people play more actively than I do.

I was thinking the same thing. Even in button mash galore games like Birth by Sleep, I never even accidentally put it in sleep mode, let alone hold it for like 5 seconds to cut it off.

Khabarakh
Oct 24, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've never had that problem, I usually hold my psp with my fingers only...

Blizz3112
Oct 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
There's an Off Switch on the PSP? I usually just ram out the cartridge... :razz:

But seriously, hand size could make a lot of difference with the PSP (and probably other systems). While it is easy to grab it with big hands, people with small hands have trouble keeping it more steady and might grab it on places that might pose a problem with playing...

Best way would be (if no protective accessories will be bought), to keep attention of your finger placement as you play and try to memorize the best position to prevent flipping the switch without straining your hands/arms too much...

Fayorei
Oct 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
Anyone have any recs for a PSP 2000 grip? Something to make it like a PS2 controller?:)

FarenKar
Oct 25, 2010, 07:41 AM

For me, it's normally a single button on the thing that I absolutely have to press, no matter how much it may screw up what I'm doing in game. Damn you, square button...

But as for the original problem, I used to end up doing that a lot, but I think it was Monster Hunter that ended up forcing me to change the way I hold the console, just so I could keep up. I haven't accidentally shut down in a long time. Of course, running ChickHen, a shutdown is a major irritation, so you become very careful from that sort of thing, too.

chibiLegolas
Oct 25, 2010, 03:16 PM

My god, now THAT looks uncomfortable to hold. I guess I'll have to take a pic myself for those non-believers out there. :P

Now that I'm more consious of my problem, I'm constantly checking my palm to see if I'm too close or pushing up the button whenever I'm tightening my grip.
Though whenever I beat a boss and there's a long pause/black screen, my heart stops for a bit and I nervously check my palm all over again. I tighten up too often on the boss.
^^'

BIG OLAF
Oct 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
My god, now THAT looks uncomfortable to hold. I guess I'll have to take a pic myself for those non-believers out there. :P

Now that I'm more consious of my problem, I'm constantly checking my palm to see if I'm too close or pushing up the button whenever I'm tightening my grip.
Though whenever I beat a boss and there's a long pause/black screen, my heart stops for a bit and I nervously check my palm all over again. I tighten up too often on the boss.
^^'

Maybe the biggest problem is how tense you get when playing. Just relax. There's no need to stress out or squeeze the crap out of your PSP when you're playing. Even when I'm in tough situations in-game, I never find myself crushing the life out of my system.

pso_crash
Oct 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
I've never encountered this problem. It seems like you would have to have super tiny hands for this to happen. I hope you can find a fix for it tho.