PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Any talk of balance in infinity?

PinkyMonkey
Oct 21, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hey folks I used the search function and waded through as many pages as I could in infinity threads looking for an answer.. but does anyone know if there is any talk of re-balancing classes/traps/mechanics in infinity as this will influence whether I pick up infinity or not. Bleh sorry for being lazy, was just wondering if anyone might know.

cheers and thanks :)

infinite4ever
Oct 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
The speed of sword will increase
You will be able to cast spell while walking, with wand, but can't chain.

And that's all I know at the moment :3

Edit: Firearms has new Charge Shot, called Charge Shot II. It will randomly include either Charge Shot I or charge Shot II from the drops

Izuna
Oct 21, 2010, 09:35 PM
I heard they made Forces better... Bitches love Forces.

d19xx
Oct 21, 2010, 09:38 PM
I heard they made Forces better... Bitches love Forces.

... and the other class even better. So it's still:

Vanguards = God Tier
Hunters and Rangers = Meh Tiers
Forces = **** Tier

Sonic Team: "Sounds just about right." :D

Mike
Oct 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Sword and axe speed has been increased. But that's the only kind of balance we know about so far.

Izuna
Oct 21, 2010, 09:53 PM
... and the other class even better. So it's still:

Vanguards = God Tier
Hunters and Rangers = Meh Tiers
Forces = **** Tier

Sonic Team: "Sounds just about right." :D

Lemme correct that for PSPo2

Vanguard = God-Tier
Rangers = Top-Tier
Hunters = Below Top-Tier
Forces = Mid-Tier

To be honest, if Vanguards were taken out of PSPo2, it'd be very similar to PSO episodes I&II. The problem is that Vanguards are God-Tier Hunters who are great with Range and Tech damage...

segac took the whole "does it all" type too far

MistyWaters
Oct 21, 2010, 10:45 PM
Sword and axe speed has been increased. But that's the only kind of balance we know about so far.
Oh thank God. I've really been wanting to use Axes and Swords but they're so damn sluggish for me to really enjoy.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 21, 2010, 10:58 PM
I hope they do away with the whole "Tech gets stronger with higher combos" and techs doin dinky damage. Seriously. I can't even play my force without facepalming over the damage.

Alexandria
Oct 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
I think Techs would be good if the cut the cost in say, half, and made all techs build multiple chains each hit. Maybe 3 for normal techs, 3 for Ra, 2 for Gi, 4 for Nos(Not including Nosdiga), and 2 for each hit of Dam.

darkante
Oct 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, i do hope forces gets overpowered a bit.
The riskier the greater the payout as it should be.

d19xx
Oct 22, 2010, 12:31 AM
I hope we get new sword PAs too. The current pas looks so sluggish and boring. We need one that lunges forward, like assault crush.

I have nothing against the axe's attack speed, since it can knock enemies down. However, improving the acc could really help boost its usefulness.

Also, I wish segac would ditch the damn jumping animation of twin handguns. It can't hit smaller mobs at close or mid range....

Cynical_Extent
Oct 22, 2010, 01:00 AM
I hope we get new sword PAs too. The current pas looks so sluggish and boring. We need one that lunges forward, like assault crush.

I like Gravity Break... (if it's the PA I'm thinking of...haven't used my swords in a bit).

I have nothing against the axe's attack speed, since it can knock enemies down. However, improving the acc could really help boost its usefulness..

Mind you "overpowered" and "balanced" are two different things; axes lack of acc is a "character trait" of the weapon. I imagine with the correct corresponding stat increments from modules, etc, the poor acc could be compensated.

But the increase to the attack speed of swords I like very much. . .

Kurosu
Oct 22, 2010, 02:38 AM
I'd rather see them address some more general features.
Things that come to mind are EX traps, the imbalance between DEF and EVA and the like.

And I'd also really wish that SEGA wouldn't "punish" the solo player. I despise the fact that I'm not able to get the best twin saber in the game for example, because it requires multiple players to obtain.
Not only because it's good, but also because it looks cool as hell.

It can't be all that hard for them to change a few factors around so that you could attain it solo as well, without altering the difficulty. Through things such as removing some floor switches, altering the time limits etc.

As for the time limits and monster HP in multi mode, I would love it if they were also based on the number of players in the game, and not just either SP or MP.
This way it would also be easier for them to fine tune the difficulty level of the game, instead of what they have right now.
1 player = stuff takes long, 2 = doable probably, 3-4 = too easy?

Izuna
Oct 22, 2010, 03:12 AM
And I'd also really wish that SEGA wouldn't "punish" the solo player. I despise the fact that I'm not able to get the best twin saber in the game for example, because it requires multiple players to obtain.
Not only because it's good, but also because it looks cool as hell.

To be fair, power-levelling is only possible solo, and all other rare weapons come by faster in Story Mode 'cause everything dies much faster.

But yeah, no exclusive multiplayer content please, just make it more difficult, but just as rewarding.

Eclipsed57
Oct 22, 2010, 08:23 AM
Lemme correct that for PSPo2

Vanguard = God-Tier
Rangers = Top-Tier
Hunters = Below Top-Tier
Forces = Mid-Tier

To be honest, if Vanguards were taken out of PSPo2, it'd be very similar to PSO episodes I&II. The problem is that Vanguards are God-Tier Hunters who are great with Range and Tech damage...

segac took the whole "does it all" type too far

man you really are an optimist , but sorry the person on the bottom is the bottom tier not mid, lol

Akaimizu
Oct 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
The one on the bottom would be bottom tier if it was Player against player, true. I guess the tiers are Player vs. Monster. :)

The whole one does it all, often does gets fluctuations from time to time. Ramarls were actually overpowered in PSO, as well. However, they overcompensated the nerf for most of the hybrids in PSU, as a result. In PSP2, they kind of tried again, worried about their overcompensation of the inital nerf for hybrids before, and went a little on the other side. Just like PSZ swung the power way towards Forces to compensate for them in the previous releases. They tried to pull back on the Forces, for this one.

So in a way, the tiers here, rock like a large seaworthy ship. Back and forth. Back and forth. I think Sega probably needs to set up something where they can work on updates quickly, kind of like Blizzard does. So as the balance shift, they can make it more and more balanced with each change, as the difference in each swing gets lower and lower. To be able to do it within the same game, and not between games, as they have done.

kongajinken
Oct 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
Vanguard invulnerability through means of EVP needs to be changed. As much as I love invulnerability it throws off the balance of the game heavily.

Eclipsed57
Oct 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
The one on the bottom would be bottom tier if it was Player against player, true. I guess the tiers are Player vs. Monster. :)

ok this makes no sense. if there are 4 people in a race the person that comes in 4th is in last place... hes not mid place

forces are garbage in this game, yeah sure if u want to "challenge" yourself go ahead, but in a good game all classes would have counterbalancing pros and cons, but forces pros do not make up for the cons at all. not to mention just the act of casting and aiming spells in this game is just terrible

SammaeltheDark
Oct 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
If you want good Force, go play PSZ where they're god tier.
I betcha Dumans will be better than all the other races, too.

At least Sega mentioned that balance will be a major concern of theirs in PSO2. But then again this is the Phantasy Star series and Sega. When has the former ever been balanced and when has the latter ever been competent?

terrell707
Oct 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
I betcha Dumans will be better than all the other races, too.

Agreed. You see the video with the Hunters Infinity Blast? OMG SO MUCH DAMAGE!!! and he single handedly killed the boss. Way over powered.

infinite4ever
Oct 22, 2010, 12:46 PM
I do agree that Force is kind of weak among the classes, I am not sure whether the Vanguard is over-powered or not though.

As far as the status of monster based on numbers of players, I agree with it. Because I find it easier to finish a open mission with 4 players than with 2, I mean, way too easy.

Eclipsed57
Oct 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
well yeah for that aspect they need to take the 12 year old technology from diablo 2 and make monsters scale as people join the room. but i think this is a bit beyond sega

Kurosu
Oct 22, 2010, 03:00 PM
To be fair, power-levelling is only possible solo, and all other rare weapons come by faster in Story Mode 'cause everything dies much faster.

But yeah, no exclusive multiplayer content please, just make it more difficult, but just as rewarding.

Well, it's just that if you can go MP, you can do all the content from SP as well, but the reverse is not possible, that's what I meant.

That's also why I hate MMORPGs such as WoW. I played that for awhile and thought it was quite fun, mostly because of the all the different areas you can explore and the equipment hunting part, similar to this game.
I usually played alone or with a small group of friends, and that works fine for me.

But when it got to the end game you have to rely on others to do any high level dungeons, and I hated that part of it.
You end up in groups of 40 people and I felt more like some assembly line worker rather than playing a video game for fun. :)

But I gotta thank WoW for that, since it basically turned me off the MMO genre forever. Can't even guess where I would be now, if I was super addicted to these kind of games, but apparently I don't like this style at all.

But I just hope SEGA would give people alternatives to getting certain items or doing certain missions, and not just one fixed route that may not be possible for everyone.
They could also squeeze more gameplay hours out of it, since it adds more objectives to attain.
They really have nothing to lose in this IMO, and everything to gain, and it also shouldn't be that hard to implement.

kongajinken
Oct 22, 2010, 04:01 PM
But when it got to the end game you have to rely on others to do any high level dungeons, and I hated that part of it.
You end up in groups of 40 people and I felt more like some assembly line worker rather than playing a video game for fun.

I hated that so much. Almost didn't matter how good/bad you did at all. Hated that feeling of being able to contribute so little towards a raid no matter what I did.

PinkyMonkey
Oct 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
In making the original post I was/am most concerned with class and trap balance.. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

And in terms of MMORPGs Kurosu, you should have tried EQ1's 72 player no voice chat raids o.O. Though actually there are a good deal of small group solo MMOs out there so don't give up on the genre. And I also agree that the best weapons should not be exclusive to online play in PSP2, maybe alternate weapons available but not the best.