PDA

View Full Version : Anything like the DC PSO experience?

ReijiGin
Oct 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
The old PSO for DC was far and away one of my favorite games ever. I picked up PSZ earlier this year and, since the online presence is so minimal, all it's done is made me REALLY want to play PSO online like I did back on my DreamCast in middle school! If PSZ only had a stronger base of online players, I would be set for life.

So basically what I'm asking is, is it possible to get that kind of gaming experience again? The different versions of the game and server issues are kind of confusing to me and I don't know where to go looking for this. I have an XBox 360, PS3, MacBook, and a netbook with Windows that is barely powerful enough to play Warcraft. If I mooch off people I also have access to a Wii and a nice gaming PC my friend built... And boy howdy am I willing to mooch. So where do I go for funtimes online with PSO? What game and for what platform? If it requires using private servers warn me, I'd like to avoid them if that's possible.

If the answer is "Buy a PSP and get PSP2" I may be willing to do that JUST for this. That is how much I miss PSO!

And if this is totally redundant and is answered in the stickies, sorry. I did read them but they kinda confused me so that's why I'm asking directly.

Mitz
Oct 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
From what I've heard, the experience of PSP2 is very enjoyable and gives at least a small sense of the original PSO back. It's also more populated than PSŲ. But if the investment is too big, you could stick to Warcraft until PSO2 comes out.

ReijiGin
Oct 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
I was kind of afraid that was gonna be the answer :(

I have never found an MMO that really compares-- least of all Warcraft, good god. I gave it a shot but mehhh. I actually love these forums because everyone seems to feel the same way. It's a bunch of people doing what I've been doing this whole time since the original: Standing around going "Well? What else is there? ... Well that's okay I guess but it's just not the same. I guess I'll just play it and feel nostalgic."

8BitGinno
Oct 25, 2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah, although the experience in PSP2 is great, and it's the best iteration of PSU yet, I'd have to say it'd be better to just wait it out for PSO2.

This is mainly because of the small online user base, and that there is still some flaws such as forces being pretty low tier compared to the other classes, PP running out too quickly, etc.

PSO2 should be perfect, since Sega has had so many chances to fix the PSU system. :-P

TheToyDolls
Oct 25, 2010, 11:00 AM
Unforunately the only way to go online with PSO nowadays is with a private server. That includes Blue Burst for PC.

I have PSPo2 myself and I can say it is a lot of fun online. Not quite PSO, but it's unique. Yes it has some flaws as mentioned above, but not substantial enough that you should feel deterred from trying it out.

I hope PSO2 lasts just as long, if not longer, than PSO did, with that good old PSO feel. That's how epic it must be.

ReijiGin
Oct 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
PSO2 should be perfect, since Sega has had so many chances to fix the PSU system. :-P

Hah. HahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAH. HAH. Hah... Aw. I made myself sad.

That's good info though, thanks. If PSP2 isn't all that and some chips I'd rather hold off. I also don't wanna have to deal with private servers, the last MMO I had to play on private servers was just way too much of a hassle.

I'm totally wary of PS games ever since PSU came out. Apparently this argument has been done to death on here and, not to beat a dead horse, but imagine my disappointment when I went and bought it expecting something more like the DC PSO. It was like finding out Santa isn't real. It's an okay game on its own but I went in expecting something wildly different, fool that I am.

Anyway, I hope Sega knows how crucial it is that they don't eff this thing up. I've been alternating between really excited about PSO2 and being really annoyed that I'm still just waiting and hoping.

cbwing0
Oct 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
As a fellow DC PSO player who was also disappointed by PSU, I highly recommend PSP2. The online community is bigger, if for no other reason than that the game is newer, so you should be able to find other players online. The game is much more user-friendly than the original PSO, with a lot of interface improvements. After seeing PSZ and PSP2, I am very hopeful that Sega knows they need to do with PSO2 to make it a great game.

Mitz
Oct 25, 2010, 12:45 PM
I was kind of afraid that was gonna be the answer :(

I have never found an MMO that really compares-- least of all Warcraft, good god. I gave it a shot but mehhh. I actually love these forums because everyone seems to feel the same way. It's a bunch of people doing what I've been doing this whole time since the original: Standing around going "Well? What else is there? ... Well that's okay I guess but it's just not the same. I guess I'll just play it and feel nostalgic."

Not everyone. I'm playing WoW and loving it. Sure, I'll give it up for PSO2, but not until then.

ReijiGin
Oct 25, 2010, 10:46 PM
Not everyone. I'm playing WoW and loving it. Sure, I'll give it up for PSO2, but not until then.

Oh yeah I *like* Warcraft but, like PSU, it's just not the same!

That's s good point about the handheld versions, though. They got those right so that's a good sign!

Crazyleo
Oct 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've played PSO on the GC for so many years (all of it offline unfortunately) that I thought it would be very improbable that Sega could recapture all the things and reasons why I fell in love with PSO.

With the release of PSP:2 however, the feelings of fond memories of PSO has faded to a degree. And most of all, I can play online with people I've met on this site.

Now, I'll just see what PSO:2 has in store when it is released. (Depending on what platforms the game will come out in)