PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Do cast hunters suck?

Trizek
Oct 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have a lvl 89 cast at 13 hunter, 8 ranger, and vanguard. I thought when I got half damage, and damage resist from VA I would be better when I switched back to hunter...I was wrong. I still get killed pretty fast if I'm not blocking like crazy
and it seems like my type abilities aren't even on when I running missions. Any tips on how to make my Cast hunter better?

Alexandria
Oct 27, 2010, 09:02 PM
Well, since it's hard for you to rely on EVP, I guess you should try using some knockdown PA's, like Bogga Ranpa for knuckles. If you don't like blocking, CC will probably be your best bet.

Pavichokche
Oct 27, 2010, 09:07 PM
If you don't have any S-rank armor, try to find one and put it on. Honestly, I'm surprised that with all those defensive abilities, and being a cast hunter, you're having difficulties surviving...

As far as type abilities go...I don't know what you mean by "they're not even on when doing missions", but if that is the case, fix it. You need them...

Trizek
Oct 27, 2010, 09:25 PM
If you don't have any S-rank armor, try to find one and put it on.
As far as type abilities go...I don't know what you mean by "they're not even on when doing missions", but if that is the case, fix it. You need them...

Well do have S-rank armor, I have like 5. And I mean't that my type abilites don't feel like they are on when I'm running a mission, they seem ineffective.

Pavichokche
Oct 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe you're pushing your character too much. None of mine are lvl 89 yet, but maybe you're going against enemies that are just too tough?

There's just no other explanation. Casts have the highest HP of all races, and the second-highest DEF. Similarly, hunters boost HP and DEF the most. Considering all your equipped abilities and good armor...you should just hang back a little, get some stronger weapons and do what Alexandria said.

that cast named kai
Oct 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
as a HUcast my self (lvl 114, 21 hunter) your best bet is to focus more on dodge rolling as your key defensive strategy as well a 'peferct blocks' over letting the EVA stat play a role in damage, but i suppose that is generally sound strategy, unless you are a newman or beast vanguard when looking a messload of 0s for once can be a good thing.

try to score tenoras line shields as priority for any S-rank armors, but your best bet is too keep up a strong offense using quick high chaining melee such as twin sabers and daggers likely using the Blade destruction and Soujin Ranbu-sho along with taking advantage of the ability to use range still due to the high base ACC of cast

but yeah what lvl guys are fighting any way? that could the issue if you are going against 30+ lvl can be crazy unless you plan things out

Freshellent
Oct 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'm quite enjoy playing my CAST on psp2- but it's partly because I enjoy blocking and getting in close. Learning attack patterns and using them against foes is definitely a joy for me. I don't really have any problems soloing- just carry a grinded A rank rod for buffs and heals.

Keep different sets of PAs for mobs for survival. Some for damage, I actually like the bit of planning that goes into it. Just think of the game a little like Monster Hunter - don't stand around to heal or just chew a mate when you lose a little bit of health. Really just think on your feet more, don't be afraid to leave the room to bust out that rod and cast a Resta or two if it REALLY gets bad.

It's not like PSU anymore, you don't have to get the highest % weapons and the best armors to play the game, all you need is to use what you are given at base, dodge rolling, blocking- you can heal yourself. Don't forget you have Freeze Traps, those buy plenty of time.... Provided that the mob CAN be frozen.

Don't give up!

Randomness
Oct 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have a lvl 89 cast at 13 hunter, 8 ranger, and vanguard. I thought when I got half damage, and damage resist from VA I would be better when I switched back to hunter...I was wrong. I still get killed pretty fast if I'm not blocking like crazy
and it seems like my type abilities aren't even on when I running missions. Any tips on how to make my Cast hunter better?

What type abilities are you running? Damage Resist gives something like 10-20% flat reduction. Half Defense doesn't actually reduce damage-it means you can't be one-shotted. (Specifically, if a move would do 50%+ of your max HP and you have 35% remaining, you'll be saved at 1 HP)

Honestly, Burst Bomber is the best of the low-level VA abilities. 50% damage boost on traps is godly.

UberRottweiler
Oct 28, 2010, 12:21 AM
In my opinion Hunter CASTs are easy to use, my main char is a male HUcast lvl.108 hunter lvl.20 vanguard lvl. 7, just get good S-Rank armors (do Ch6 Act2 multiple times in order to get Rabol-Orpads as a reward for completing that mission on hard mode), choose wisely your PAs, know when to use high damage PA's or crowd-control PA's and you should be fine

ShinAnt
Oct 28, 2010, 12:56 AM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/ShinAnt1234/1273606658095.jpg
"No Hunters suck laddy!"

Alexandria
Oct 28, 2010, 01:10 AM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/ShinAnt1234/1273606658095.jpg
"No Hunters suck laddy!"

I beg to differ, sir. There is an abundance of shitty hunters on Ad-Hoc! The vast majority of them use long sword. :disapprove:

GeoSword
Oct 28, 2010, 01:38 AM
I use long swords almost exclusively as a Hunter. Does that automatically make me a shitty hunter?

Alexandria
Oct 28, 2010, 01:44 AM
I use long swords almost exclusively as a Hunter. Does that automatically make me a shitty hunter?

MONSTER Hunter. He posted a picture of the guy from the MHTri commercials. Guess you didn't get his joke.

GeoSword
Oct 28, 2010, 02:34 AM
Nope. Since I've never seen the Monster Hunter Tri commercials. I took no offense, nor intended to make it sound like I did.

ShinAnt
Oct 28, 2010, 03:13 AM
Nope. Since I've never seen the Monster Hunter Tri commercials. I took no offense, nor intended to make it sound like I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_7Yv-a4EE&feature=channel

You have been enlightened.

RenzokukenZ
Oct 28, 2010, 05:47 AM
To put it simple, cast hunters are, have been, and always will be the god tier of the Hunters.

With our high HP and DEF, we can survive anything that hits us, and with our high ATK and extraordinary ACC, we can actually hit our targets and hit them hard. Sure we have low PP, but our regen rate is so superb that, along with chain building attacks, we won't ever run out to the point that we practically don't even need the PPSaveSkill ability. The new dodge/block system only adds to the awesomeness that is the Cast Hunter. We rock.

As for abilities, that depends on your personal style. If you think something isn't working, then switch abilities until you find something that does. Here's my setup:

HP Restore Rate (effective passive healing/nostalgia)
PP Escape Save (I dodge alot for back attacks)
Damage Resist (helps to survive bigger hits)
Elemental Hit (because stunning/freeze/incap is fun)
Freeze Protect (lots of barta users out there...)

And remember, while we may be powerful, we're not gods, so don't rush into high-level fights as a previous poster had mentioned. Take time to learn your character, and to learn ways of the Hunter.

Scau-Demon
Oct 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
I beg to differ, sir. There is an abundance of shitty hunters on Ad-Hoc! The vast majority of them use long sword. :disapprove:

I havn't played MH for a good 3 or 4 months, but I remember using mostly longswords.. I thought myself as prety good too, what with soloing most of the hard mission meant for multi..(I only have MHFU sadly..)

Ame
Oct 28, 2010, 09:18 AM
I Just Started Using A Cast Hunter & I Like Them.

Trizek
Oct 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the great replies guys, I shouldn't have such a hard time now.

cold_eXistenZ
Oct 30, 2010, 02:05 AM
I recently used a lot of extend points to add a rod to my pallette, for healing and shifta/debrand and have to say it's working out nicely there isn't enough room on the pallette for all the weapon categories i can use anyway, Cast Hunters are very versatile the low PP amount doesnt mean a damn thing if you add at least 1 stamina module!

Koiwai_Keiji
Oct 30, 2010, 05:52 AM
I recently used a lot of extend points to add a rod to my pallette, for healing and shifta/debrand and have to say it's working out nicely there isn't enough room on the pallette for all the weapon categories i can use anyway, Cast Hunters are very versatile the low PP amount doesnt mean a damn thing if you add at least 1 stamina module!

Stamina has nothing to do with pp, it refers to a stat that determines your likelihood of being affected by status effects.

TheToyDolls
Oct 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
To even imply that Casts have anything to do with sucking is blasphemy!

Trizek
Oct 30, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well Ive hit lvl 91, and I have Damage resist, HP Boost, DEF Boost, and health restore rate on.
Along with a Nova crusher axe equipped and S-rank armors for all elements and I must say its doing my HUcast wonders now.

CLARK
Oct 30, 2010, 04:34 PM
Cast hunters don't suck. However, you should have made a human hunter if you wanted a defensive character. Casts are all about damage, and techs destroy them. You have to dodge or perfect guard all the time. Beasts got that massive evade while humans just don't take near as much damage. I wonder if Dumans will be an even better glass melee cannon.

Randomness
Oct 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
Cast hunters don't suck. However, you should have made a human hunter if you wanted a defensive character. Casts are all about damage, and techs destroy them. You have to dodge or perfect guard all the time. Beasts got that massive evade while humans just don't take near as much damage. I wonder if Dumans will be an even better glass melee cannon.

Humans are now the best at defense stats. They have more MST than Newmans, even.

DoubleJG
Oct 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
YouTube - Monster Hunter Tri - Drive Thru (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_7Yv-a4EE&feature=channel)

You have been enlightened.

Love, love, love it.

CLARK
Oct 30, 2010, 06:19 PM
Humans are now the best at defense stats. They have more MST than Newmans, even.
That is what i said, yes? Also you mean MND not MST. MST is mental strength back on PSO. MND is mental defense. TEC is the PSP version of MST.

Thanks Hrith- forgot about that.

Hrith
Oct 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
MST is mental defence in PSU as well.

Pillan
Oct 30, 2010, 10:02 PM

Slightly more DEF, but significantly lower HP. Of course, there are a number of cases where the EVA difference can make up for that (more so outside of Hunter). Also note that Cast HP surpasses Beast HP at higher levels, giving male Cast the highest HP at level 200.

Likewise, the MND gap is not worth as much as Hunter due to its high HP mod and low MND mod.

Broken_L_button
Nov 1, 2010, 03:55 PM
Slightly more DEF, but significantly lower HP. Of course, there are a number of cases where the EVA difference can make up for that (more so outside of Hunter). Also note that Cast HP surpasses Beast HP at higher levels, giving male Cast the highest HP at level 200.

Likewise, the MND gap is not worth as much as Hunter due to its high HP mod and low MND mod.

By going with these facts, Casts actually have more defense than humans; the difference between HUmar and HUcast's DEF is 28 points w/o Deband, which is 5,6 damage less, but with the higher HP, Casts actually get less physical damage. For example...let's say an Astark with 3000 ATP punches both a HUcast and a HUmar, both wearing a neutral Rabol Yiel and at level 200. With deband level 2, they both get:

HUmar: 1392 DFP; receives 322 damage
HUcast: 1358 DFP; receives 328 damage

Now, small or big numbers in damage mean nothing; you have to compare them to your total HP, which would mean, in this case:

HUmar received 21% of total HP in damage
HUcast received 19% of total HP in damage

As always, High DEF means nothing if you don't have the HP to take in what your DEF couldn't cover.

Sooo...in the end, Cast hunters are far from sucking; they take less damage and dish out more damage than most hunters do...Which is pretty much the criteria for best hunter around, no?

EDIT: Though...like other posters said, EVA might be a factor but, then again, well timed blocks and barell rolls = 1337 base EVA